Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:33 pm 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
Thank you Ricky, no need to bold face something to make a point... I can read, articulate yourself well enough and your point should be understood.

Seems like some people took a little offense to this. For that I apologize if some can't handle people questioning their interest. I'd also say grow up... but then again we're mostly adults who collect toys... isn't that irony? :lol:

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:36 pm 
User avatar
Mint on Card
Online

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2555
Location: American Canyon, CA.
I echo the sentiment of everyone who's responded. A good chunk of the DCU is represented in this form. At first it was a pretty affordable way to get a DC character, until the later years when it was costing more to get them and when they weren't as readily available as it was in the beginning. Once Mattel expanded on characters who didn't show up in the cartoon I felt I had a chance to see some of my personal favorites like Blue Beetle and Firestorm. And really it all started with the Batman the Animated Series cartoon and toyline.

_________________
Thanks Mattel for a great run on JLU !!

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:38 pm 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
Nitewing73 wrote:
And really it all started with the Batman the Animated Series cartoon and toyline.

Are they the same style as those or are the Batman Animated series figures different?

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:27 pm 
User avatar
Brand Manager
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:01 am
Posts: 2045
Location: J Street
Van Statten wrote:
Thank you Ricky, no need to bold face something to make a point... I can read, articulate yourself well enough and your point should be understood.

No disrespect meant, and no offense taken. I "bold faced" that particular sentence because it summarized my point. Plus, there have been situations where posters usually read my topic sentence and then proceed to mouth off. But I wasn't yelling or anything. Like I said... it summarizes my point.

Here's the thing. No one has taken offense to what you wrote. If anything, you've been provided with ample justification as to why we like the JLU line.

The thing is... You are not the first one to ask. So we already have a backlog of reasons and justifications. Which might've triggered an overwhelming response. Not an offensive response. Just a long, detailed set of answers.

Here's the kicker... You and I are coming from two different places. You are a toy collector who enjoyed the show. I'm a fan of the show who enjoys the show's toys. See the difference? In your Pyramid of Food, Action Figures are ranked higher than JLU. And as a result, you are holding the JLU line to your action figure standard. For me, the JLU show is the standard. And as long as the figures look like the characters did in the show, I'm happy.

If the figures didn't have the look they have or those proportions; they wouldn't be JLU figures. They would be DCUC figures or DC Direct figures in a small scale.

_________________
Essential JLU:...1. Jax-Ur...2. Robin (Grayson)...3. Trickster...4. Power Girl...5. Spectre
...6. Chronos...7. Killer Croc w/BabyDoll...8. Felix Faust...9. Poison Ivy...10. Deathstroke
Bonus:...Starfire, Steppenwolf w/Desaad, the Joker's Jokerz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:41 pm 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
Now that's nicely put, Ricky... Thank you, I went from feeling like I kicked the hornets nest back to the basis of my curiosity.

Everyone's reasons are there own and make sense. You know outside of the typical, "I just like them" response. Space, price, selection and range all playing important factors... I can even respect that. I only thought I offended you but didn't want to name names because i"m not into turning threads into big flames or whatever they call it online. So I thank you again for your second reply.

But I do have to explain something... I'm really not a toy collector. Yes, yes, I collect toys... but I'm a comic collector at heart... who enjoys seeing his favorite characters immortalized in plastic. Same as with my Doctor Who figures... truth be told... I hate the new Doctor Who line... I buy it because I'm a fanboy! If there was something more to my standards I would buy that... but I like seeing my favorite characters on my shelf.

So I do understand what you mean by the pyramid ranking... Whenever in the toy aisles of my local store I always check out the Imagine Next figures... I would never buy them... and my kid is already too old for me to hide behind that... I have been tempted but they're just... well... you know, childish. So I'm curious what the attraction is to them. If I was under 10 I would probably love em and I have been tempted to buy the Batcave as I'm a sucker for playsets.

I suppose these questions are not the first time being asked. I know I'd get tired of answering time and time again.

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:00 pm 
Unbreakable
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2983
Location: Manhattan,KS
For me it's the size of the line combined with the animated style and simple 5 points of articulation. mix in the relatively cheap price point, the smaller size of the figure and the durability of the figure and I have one of my nearly perfect lines.

I will expound on this later but I have a basketball game to get ready to go to. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:10 pm 
User avatar
Collector Inspector
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 1338
Location: The Midwest of America
I don't understand why certain toy lines, and lines I like, are openly mocked on this site for their 5 POA yet JLU gets a pass because it's an endearing quality or something. I get that the articulation compliments the design, but I feel that other toys get bashed for doing the same thing.

I say upfront that I'm definitely not a fan of JLU but I've always been a little bewildered by the intense affection for them. I'm not trying to be judgmental. Everyone has their favorite lines and i respect that. My favorite is DC Infinite Heroes. I just figure that JLU is the DC line that was there when they grew into toy collectors and they've developed a unique bond with them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:39 pm 
User avatar
Damn you, Autocorrect!
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:29 am
Posts: 1592
funtime3 wrote:
I don't understand why certain toy lines, and lines I like, are openly mocked on this site for their 5 POA yet JLU gets a pass because it's an endearing quality or something.

Are the 5 POA lines you like modern lines? I'm really drawing a blank here trying to think of another current 5 POA line out there. Many great vintage ones but what other 5 POA lines are out there now? Something to do with Star Wars maybe?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:41 pm 
User avatar
Brand Manager
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:01 am
Posts: 2045
Location: J Street
I can't believe there is "open mocking" going on and I have missed it. Honestly... who's "cousin Oliver" to JLU?

...and who is this supposed JLU fan that is mocking toys for having 5 points of articulation and only 5 points of articulation? Talk about bewildering... Now, I'm bewildered!!!

And are we sure they weren't mocking the line instead of the articulation? And again... what line are we talking about?

Is it the Power Rangers?

...Ben 10?

...The Last Airbender?

...Avatar!!! It's Avatar isn't?

...Care Bears?

...Toy Story?

... Polly Pocket?

... Secret Saturdays?

...Go Bots?

_________________
Essential JLU:...1. Jax-Ur...2. Robin (Grayson)...3. Trickster...4. Power Girl...5. Spectre
...6. Chronos...7. Killer Croc w/BabyDoll...8. Felix Faust...9. Poison Ivy...10. Deathstroke
Bonus:...Starfire, Steppenwolf w/Desaad, the Joker's Jokerz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:28 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1843
It's because the show was the greatest TV cartoon of all time and the DC Animated Universe franchise spawned it and the show and the figure line both gave us figures based on most of the different shows. That's part of the reason I was never that into the figures that were based on the comics and non-DCAU. I still bought 'em to support the line but I REALLY kept collecting for the times we'd get a Superman Beyond or Gray Ghost. Sweet!

_________________
"I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Mooooo! Think I'll chew me some cud!" - Smiley Bone a.k.a. The Mystery Cow.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:29 am 
User avatar
Hangin' with the big boys
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 328
funtime3 wrote:
I don't understand why certain toy lines, and lines I like, are openly mocked on this site for their 5 POA yet JLU gets a pass because it's an endearing quality or something. I get that the articulation compliments the design, but I feel that other toys get bashed for doing the same thing.


It's only a contradiction if it's the same people.

_________________
JLU needs: Barda, rare Secret Society & Legends of the League 6-pks, Lobo, Volcana, Cyborg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:51 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3307
Location: San Diego, CA
Not to go off topic, but I see this often... People will misunderstand the intent of a post and get offended. Often this can't be helped, usually it's a misunderstanding... A common mistake, all caps suggests shouting... Bolding only suggests emphasis, not shouting. Bolding is not sarcasm, it's a tool that is used to draw your attention to the main point of what you are trying to say. All caps it shouting and argumentative. Bolding isn't.
I'm not singling anyone out, just putting this out there as an FYI because I see threads flame up time and again over a small miscommunication or misinterpretation.

And let's all remember, action figures are like art. Loosely, LOL. Two people can look at the same action figure and see different things.

_________________
JLU Forever! And is MOTUC EVER getting around to Ram Man?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:58 am 
Knows his stuff
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:25 pm
Posts: 573
red Ricky wrote:
You are a toy collector who enjoyed the show. I'm a fan of the show who enjoys the show's toys. See the difference? In your Pyramid of Food, Action Figures are ranked higher than JLU. And as a result, you are holding the JLU line to your action figure standard. For me, the JLU show is the standard. And as long as the figures look like the characters did in the show, I'm happy.

That's me to a tee. Before JLU, the only action figures I had was a Magneto and Dr. Doom figure. The reason I bought my first JLU figures (which was the 10-inch line, not the current four-inch line) was because I was a fan of the show.

At first, I never planned on buying the four-inch line. I'm glad I did, considering I now have an awesome display of 185 characters, and if the missing three-packs, Dr. Destiny and Firefly get released, we'll get close to 200. OK, that was a huge tangent, the point is the only reason I got the figures because of the show, and I wanted the show represented in plastic.

_________________
I turn my back on you for two seconds, and suddenly you're 80 years old and covered in robots!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:50 am 
User avatar
Cold-cast
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:08 pm
Posts: 410
I think people may have taken offense for two reasons. 1) there is at least one person on every JLU discussion thread that loves to throw in a douchey jab about the line and 2) the subtext of your first post was, "I can't even stand the sight of these little turds, what makes you weirdos want to put these on a shelf?"

Your follow up posts clearly indicate you did not mean any disrespect, so none taken. I never have a problem telling people why I love JLU.

JLU is my favorite toy line because Bruce Timm is a genius, and his designs are far superior (in my mind) to a lot of the over-drawn nonsense going on in comics today. If you are a fan of Golden Age comic book art, Art Deco and Jack Kirby, you will most likely get JLU. The figure quality has varied at times, but nonetheless provided some amazing, affordable mini-maquettes for my collection. Without Bruce Timm, there would be no Batman Beyond and Batman would still have that silly yellow oval around the bat on his chest. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:59 am 
Variant Head
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:33 am
Posts: 2106
Hey if you guys love JLU then check out this Facebook page I made.I am going to write to DC Nation if I can get 500 likes and the more I get the more me and my friend are going to campaign for DC Nation to produce new JLU/BB?BTAS and STAS episdoes. I think they could do them all under the unbrella of JLU and give us like 3 or 4 of each. JLU is a show that was a decade in the making! I feel like every Batman cartoon since BTas has been dumb down and gotten worse and worse. Yeah sure BATB had its moments but no Batman show has started off on the footing that BTAS did. I can still watch every episode of BTAS at anytime but The Batman grows old and only has a handful of stand out episodes. Batb just is too all over the place they really should have just stuck to the golden age theme. Anyways check out my page and like it if you would watch new JLU episodes.


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Collector ... 2094967586

_________________
Good trades with-
toychango, ian5555, BootsBailey, ashxking, an-gel sakura and lots more I have forgotten


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Nitewing73, shabbyblue


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.072s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]