Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:39 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

bat313 wrote:
Howard, I think your a good guy but I couldn't help but read the title of this thread and think of Charlie Sheen and "DUH, WINNING!" lol Sorry man but it gave me a good chuckle!

Maybe I'm twisted but sometimes I enjoy reading the drama on this board. It's like my own personal toy soap opera to read during lunch. The back and forth in the thread has been some of the most entertaining yet here at AFI.

Or maybe it's better to compare AFI to the WWF, no real fighting but loads of smack talk.

Cripes! Don't compare me to him. Entertaining y'all while I go off on the occasional rant is fine, but I am not a 'winner winner Howard dinner' type o' guy. Compare me to my namesake, perhaps? Or a certain willful member of an intergalactic police force. :)

Now this bit is a little off-topic, but I find the whole 'Ignore-A-Member' option personally distasteful and ultimatey useless(and not just at AFi) For starters, I'm sure if someone really was being a pain in the rear and trolling, it's nothing that a mod could fix in the first place, so why ignore anyone? I welcome any and all AFi-ers' opinions, be they scatterbrained, off-topic, well-informed, or otherwise. Second, you would be depriving yourself of the bigger picture in a thread, for good or ill.

Back to sell-outs and improperly used alternative meanings of said phrase, I stand by my original statement: A sold-out product equals a successful product. If a product does not in fact, sell-out, then don't use that terminology. It's Bizarro-Speak to do so. THIS is the entire point of this thread: To point out the obvious flaw in logic and language at hand. That is what bothers me.

While we are at it, why can't Matty simply leave the JLU Seven Pack up on the site indefinitely(or until such time as it truly sells-out?) Is that the whole, 'Well, we have to pay to store our own product at some other warehouse, and it's the fans' fault we have to do this, even though we decided that using the warehouse and all costs associated with it was our idea in the first place' argument rearing it's dopey head again?

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:47 am 
shirtless hugger

Howard the Duck wrote:
bat313 wrote:
Howard, I think your a good guy but I couldn't help but read the title of this thread and think of Charlie Sheen and "DUH, WINNING!" lol Sorry man but it gave me a good chuckle!

Maybe I'm twisted but sometimes I enjoy reading the drama on this board. It's like my own personal toy soap opera to read during lunch. The back and forth in the thread has been some of the most entertaining yet here at AFI.

Or maybe it's better to compare AFI to the WWF, no real fighting but loads of smack talk.

Cripes! Don't compare me to him. Entertaining y'all while I go off on the occasional rant is fine, but I am not a 'winner winner Howard dinner' type o' guy. Compare me to my namesake, perhaps? Or a certain willful member of an intergalactic police force. :)

Now this bit is a little off-topic, but I find the whole 'Ignore-A-Member' option personally distasteful and ultimatey useless(and not just at AFi) For starters, I'm sure if someone really was being a pain in the rear and trolling, it's nothing that a mod could fix in the first place, so why ignore anyone? I welcome any and all AFi-ers' opinions, be they scatterbrained, off-topic, well-informed, or otherwise. Second, you would be depriving yourself of the bigger picture in a thread, for good or ill.

Back to sell-outs and improperly used alternative meanings of said phrase, I stand by my original statement: A sold-out product equals a successful product. If a product does not in fact, sell-out, then don't use that terminology. It's Bizarro-Speak to do so. THIS is the entire point of this thread: To point out the obvious flaw in logic and language at hand. That is what bothers me.

While we are at it, why can't Matty simply leave the JLU Seven Pack up on the site indefinitely(or until such time as it truly sells-out?) Is that the whole, 'Well, we have to pay to store our own product at some other warehouse, and it's the fans' fault we have to do this, even though we decided that using the warehouse and all costs associated with it was our idea in the first place' argument rearing it's dopey head again?

Haha, sorry Howard, you know I mean no disrespect. :D

As for Matty not keeping up the 7-pack until it sells out I believe they have said multiple times that they need to pay for warehouse space at DR and it's just not worth it to them to let it sit. I agree that they should change the status to "temporarily unavailable" or even "no longer unavailable."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:31 am 
categorically opposed

Howard the Duck wrote:

It's useless because you can see the post once it's quoted by someone that you don't have on "ignore."

But unless someone starts going off on a racially- or ethnically-charged rampage (as our beloved rouges gallery did a few years ago), no one here is getting banned. The person who instigated the whole "ignoring" conversation has made no secret of the ax he has to grind with Mattel and its employees (though he'll deny it, one needs only look at the last thread he started to see it's true) and has been told about it, but nothing changes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:43 am 
Aspires to be #1

If someone like Guapo, who I also have blocked, who posts something offensive literally every time he posts and does not get banned then I think there are perfectly good reasons to have the ignore function on this site. The only reason I started using it in the first place is become someone was trying to troll me through PM's and the ignore function does not allow people to send you PM's. And if I feel like someone is contributing nothing to a conversation or just constantly has something negative or insane to say about Mattel and DC then what am I really missing from that conversation anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:27 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

j1h15233 wrote:
If someone like Guapo, who I also have blocked, who posts something offensive literally every time he posts and does not get banned then I think there are perfectly good reasons to have the ignore function on this site. The only reason I started using it in the first place is become someone was trying to troll me through PM's and the ignore function does not allow people to send you PM's. And if I feel like someone is contributing nothing to a conversation or just constantly has something negative or insane to say about Mattel and DC then what am I really missing from that conversation anyway?

I dont think he was banned yet but Im pretty sure he has been warned and suspened with a warning-- in fact even a couple of years ago I got a warning-- but I admit I crossed the line in my post and was editing it as the warning showed up, but I actually dont ignore anyone-- because even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while-- and inbetween al the crotch thrusting- I think even Guapo had a vaild point :shock: - one time...at Band Camp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:42 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I've only used the ignore button once, and the person I used it on hasn't posted here in months.

But I have been tempted to use it more . . . especially lately. :|

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:08 am 
Variant Head

Ok you know what I find soooooo funny about all this ? Jh I could have sworn you were VERY vocal about not wanting a $20 Killer Croc single packed with Baby doll when I was talking abiout it like a year and a half ago. If memory serves me you complained alot about it a few others said $20 single figures were a horrible idea. I said something like I would pay $20 for single carded JLU figure with 100% new scuplts and I got alot of crap for it. And look were we are now $50 3 packs ! Oh and then people want the 3 packs spread out so they can drop like $10-$20 each time on shipping? I just find it so funny thats all not trying to pick fights with people just pointing some stuff out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:50 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

PBateman wrote:
Ok you know what I find soooooo funny about all this ? Jh I could have sworn you were VERY vocal about not wanting a $20 Killer Croc single packed with Baby doll when I was talking abiout it like a year and a half ago. If memory serves me you complained alot about it a few others said $20 single figures were a horrible idea. I said something like I would pay $20 for single carded JLU figure with 100% new scuplts and I got alot of crap for it. And look were we are now $50 3 packs ! Oh and then people want the 3 packs spread out so they can drop like $10-$20 each time on shipping? I just find it so funny thats all not trying to pick fights with people just pointing some stuff out.

I don't have a choice in the matter regarding dropping all of that money at once. If they DON'T offer them seperately there is no way I could afford to get them all. It's true I will be paying more money with shipping for them in the long run but unless they come out every month or two I won't be able to afford them all. I could probably only swing one or two and there are at least four that are must haves for me. And as a completist I need all six.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:05 am 
Aspires to be #1

PBateman wrote:

I complained about Baby Doll, not Croc or paying 20.00.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:51 am 
categorically opposed

j1h15233 wrote:
I complained about Baby Doll, not Croc or paying 20.00.

And even if you had complained about the money, the situation here is for a finite amount of product. It's not like they're saying that they're going to continue to manufacture JLU beyond these known three-packs and the cost will continue to be $50 per pack going forward.

Given the incredibly small run that they're going to have to do on these packs if they move forward, I can't possibly imagine them doing this on an ongoing basis. Not when they could be devoting line time to a bigger moneymaker. This is most definitely going to be a one-and-done scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:57 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Okay what I don't understand... is if these aren't packaged yet... why not just sell the missing figures online and ship them in Mattel plastic bags, like the old Kenner ones from Super Powers when you sent away for a figure. I have a Steppenwolf still in a factory bag as if it was a redemption figure or like the Emperor. That would surely cut down on money they have to shell out... and if all the figures are made including the re-releases then why not just sell them individually on the site? They would surely all sell out eventually, I'm positive there are people who need Wonder Woman and Superman still.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:59 am 
categorically opposed

Van Statten wrote:
Okay what I don't understand... is if these aren't packaged yet... why not just sell the missing figures online and ship them in Mattel plastic bags, like the old Kenner ones from Super Powers when you sent away for a figure. I have a Steppenwolf still in a factory bag as if it was a redemption figure or like the Emperor. That would surely cut down on money they have to shell out... and if all the figures are made including the re-releases then why not just sell them individually on the site? They would surely all sell out eventually, I'm positive there are people who need Wonder Woman and Superman still.

The way I understand it is that they'd have to put development money (of which there is none) into testing the bags, etc.

There is no money left in the JLU budget.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:06 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

But money to package them?

I'm not arguing... I just don't understand the fundamentals of this, even the lack of money in the JLU budget doesn't make sense unless the soon to be packaging has already been factored and paid for along with the listing on the site and the shipping and receiving process for this one job altogether. Or unless they are already packaged, which what I'm reading is unclear at the moment.

Because if the budget is zero then I don't see how they can go through with anything and by all accounts the figures should just sit there and collect dust.

I tried following their points along the way and I just got lost.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:24 am 
Variant Head

Van Statten wrote:
But money to package them?

I'm not arguing... I just don't understand the fundamentals of this, even the lack of money in the JLU budget doesn't make sense unless the soon to be packaging has already been factored and paid for along with the listing on the site and the shipping and receiving process for this one job altogether. Or unless they are already packaged, which what I'm reading is unclear at the moment.

Because if the budget is zero then I don't see how they can go through with anything and by all accounts the figures should just sit there and collect dust.

I tried following their points along the way and I just got lost.

I assume with confirmation that people WILL pay $50 a 3 pack they have safe bet and can card them. But according to 1 Afi member the Toyman pack is at least carded an ready to go. I just dont trust Mattel all that much at this point so voting yes to a huge price hike on a product I LOVE but have to honestly admit is "cheap as hell" in my mind is just not an option.Do I want these figures more then anything YES! But did Hasbro just lose money on the lost Indie wave thing? If they really dont have them carded yet I dont understand why they cant explore other options such as single carding the new figures and asking like $20 a piece. I think that would be the best bet and I would vote for that. Will it take a little extra "development" I would think so but I would think they would save money but not bothering to make the repeats and getting more money for the single figures.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:26 am 
Loose, Missing Package

What Mo is trying to say is that JLU's money has been turned off. There's no money for changing anything at this point. New packaging (even a baggie) is going to require someone to spend some amount of time designing whatever new packaging they'd use and there would be the rounds of approval with DC/WB to get those changes made. At this point it seems that Mattel is only willing to consider going through with these figures if the additional costs involved are for the actual production run.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next