Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:49 pm 
Aspires to be #1

They've obviously done everything up to the point of production and they plan to make that money back by selling them. Anything extra would cost them more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:50 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

DanMan wrote:
Fone Bone wrote:
I don't have a choice in the matter regarding dropping all of that money at once. If they DON'T offer them seperately there is no way I could afford to get them all. It's true I will be paying more money with shipping for them in the long run but unless they come out every month or two I won't be able to afford them all. I could probably only swing one or two and there are at least four that are must haves for me. And as a completist I need all six.

It seems to me like they could announce they were all coming out on the same day about one year from now, and then people could save up for them all at once. You would end up paying less overall with the combined shipping savings. This is the reason I don't understand the requests to spread it out. Not to pick on you Fone, but is it too difficult to save up for a big purchase? I see no difference between putting aside $50 every couple of months in a bank account or paying Matty that much + shipping. I understand these are toys so things like budgeting and saving over a long period aren't synonymous with fun. I'm genuinely wondering why is there the desire to spread out the releases?

Who's to say they will give us six months to save up? I'm not going to save up until I know exactly whether or not they will be offered at once. If they are and it's a while aways I guess I could save up but as someone else said there is no garuantee there won't be some other unforseen expense for me in the meantime.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:39 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

I can't imagine Mattel caring enough about this to release only one pack per month. Maybe two... But spread six packs out and you spend enough in shipping to purchase another 1-1.5 packs...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:50 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Shipping and handling can be one of the most awful evils in the entire universe. With what I spend on shipping I could buy everything I initially bought another time once over.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:48 am 
5th Horseman

Fone Bone wrote:
Who's to say they will give us six months to save up? I'm not going to save up until I know exactly whether or not they will be offered at once. If they are and it's a while aways I guess I could save up but as someone else said there is no garuantee there won't be some other unforseen expense for me in the meantime.

Since right now they're soliciting feedback, production hasn't started. Based on what they've said in the past about production, I would think three months is the absolute soonest they could get these manufactured and shipped. Six months or more seems likely to me if they decide to go ahead with this, but I'm just guessing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:58 am 
shirtless hugger

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
the difference being that if I ended up missing one or two figures because of an "off month", I could easily track down the one or two missing figures.

Missing out on the box set, which has immediately skyrocketed in value, means that I sit out an entire sub-section of the DCU, one I am very fond of and have wanted to see in this fashion for a long time. At this point, having missed 12 of the LSH in one fell swoop, do I even bother picking up any new figures that get produced?

This is a great point and something I did not think about.

In all honestly I'm not exactly excited to pay $200 to $300 in one shot versus $60 ever couple of months either. Even though mathematically I know that I would be paying less it is an insane (at least to me) amount of money to spend at once. Even if slowly saved up over the course of a year.

Again, I apologize if you felt attacked at all by me. But you through out your real world situation as an example and I had honest questions about it. I'm glad that some people on here can still have civil conversations when they disagree on certain points. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:29 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah, my skin is thick enough to withstand any barrage a toy board chatroom can throw at me.

If I was sensitive about it, I wouldn't have used my experiences as an example.

No harm, no foul.

No worries mate.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:26 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Howard the Duck wrote:
So, here's the million dollar question: What costs more? Producing, designing, and packing these JLU figs(including crappy and needless repack/repeat characters) on their originally intended cards, OR testing little white mailers and going that route.
I'd be inclined to say the latter would be cheaper. Especially if I did it for free. Hint, Mattel :)

TO be honest as much as I agree with you-- shipping tests have to be done on a mulitple of levels, shipped to different locations, different ways and different handling systems-- automatic packing and taping systems are usually only set up for boxes, and sometimes only certain generic sizes without resetting the machine. The shipping department may not be set up to package mailers, so they in turn would have to put these in another box-- Then you have the palleting of the shipping boxes, they may use the cheap pallets with the gaps- which in turn these smaller mailers may fall through-- which means they may not even be able to transport the boxes across the production floor without everything falling off, then their may be issues about stacking the pallets during shipping-- which the larger 3 pack boxes might allow- Their picking system may not be set up for the smaller boxes as well...

Now like I said there may be ways around this to make it more efficient-- but there may be people going its not worth the time to establish a new set of procedures-- and their is always soemthing to be said about economy of scale...

As much as I still think Mattell is full of it with this situation, I do understand their are costs involved to all of this-- that being said-- I can package figures all day long in my house that I sell on ebay and never have any complaints (and do it for less than 3.00 a piece.)- So it could be done- they have just decided they dont want to ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:41 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Well in most places, shipping is priced in a combination of two ways... materials and time. The time may be quicker but they may not have the proper materials for any other form of shipping. Unless Mattel operates differently which can be possible not everyone follows the same model.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:56 pm 
shirtless hugger

Clearly, Mattel can do it for less because we want them to.

Duh. Everyone's so silly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:32 am 
Loose, Missing Package

jamiwa3 wrote:
I know there are a lot of people here more familiar with the toy production process than I am. Can anyone think of any reason why it can't be done? Would they need WB/DC approval for sending the packs out with a missing figure/s? I'd much rather pay $35-40 for a Mongul pack with empty spots where Batman and Wonder Woman should be than pay an extra $10-15 for two figures I have dozens of.

They aren't going to leave an empty slot in a pre-designed package. If for some reason they would need to dump these sets through close-out channels those repeat figures would have to be in the slots, they wouldn't be able to sell them otherwise. Online they can have a disclaimer "the packaging was pre-designed but we're shipping the product without two of the figures in the package to save you money", at retail the average mom/dad/kid/grandparent isn't going to understand the logic with that even if a disclaimer was in place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:03 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Jim_Abell wrote:
jamiwa3 wrote:
I know there are a lot of people here more familiar with the toy production process than I am. Can anyone think of any reason why it can't be done? Would they need WB/DC approval for sending the packs out with a missing figure/s? I'd much rather pay $35-40 for a Mongul pack with empty spots where Batman and Wonder Woman should be than pay an extra $10-15 for two figures I have dozens of.

They aren't going to leave an empty slot in a pre-designed package. If for some reason they would need to dump these sets through close-out channels those repeat figures would have to be in the slots, they wouldn't be able to sell them otherwise. Online they can have a disclaimer "the packaging was pre-designed but we're shipping the product without two of the figures in the package to save you money", at retail the average mom/dad/kid/grandparent isn't going to understand the logic with that even if a disclaimer was in place.

By far the best explanation I've heard yet, and the logic also applies to switching out the duplicates for new figures, but I still don't know if I buy it. They've already stated that the production run would be ridiculously small. Are they really worried about the closeout channels when the run will probably only be a couple hundred at best? I'm sorry, that just doesn't work in my head.

It's still a good theory though. I guess it could be their reasoning.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:12 am 
Knows his stuff

Jim_Abell wrote:

Well, I suppose that is a potential reason why, which is more than I can think of.

But in my opinion, that shouldn't even be a consideration. The entire reason for these being $50.00 in the first place is the limited production run, based on their "baseline". There will be a lot of lost sales because of sticker shock, but they shouldn't have a ton of leftover stock.

I don't know about their other brands on Mattycollector, but no JLU Mattycollector product ever ended up at discount stores. Mattel has made some very questionable moves over the course of the JLU line, but not even they can't be crazy enough to charge us fifty bucks, then turn around and sell them at retail, much less a discount store.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:42 am 
Loose, Missing Package

jamiwa3 wrote:
I don't know about their other brands on Mattycollector, but no JLU Mattycollector product ever ended up at discount stores. Mattel has made some very questionable moves over the course of the JLU line, but not even they can't be crazy enough to charge us fifty bucks, then turn around and sell them at retail, much less a discount store.

Daniel just posted a few weeks about about the El Segundo Mattel outlet store still having the JLU Lobo in-stock, so yeah, MattyCollector JLU stuff has been sold at retail.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:16 am 
Knows his stuff

Jim_Abell wrote:
jamiwa3 wrote:

Daniel just posted a few weeks about about the El Segundo Mattel outlet store still having the JLU Lobo in-stock, so yeah, MattyCollector JLU stuff has been sold at retail.

I forgot about that El Segundo store. Point taken.

Still, I truly hope Mattel isn't dumb enough to discount these. If they are going to sell them at $50 because of the low production run and supposed exclusivity, they better not turn around and sell them at half off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next