Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:51 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

If I walk into McDonalds, and they are 'Sold Out' of Big Macs, it means exactly that. Ronald McDonald isn't pulling remaining Big Mac beef patties for some dopey future use.

I do realize that Matty's definition of 'Sold Out' seems to be quite different than the dictionary definition. I really do. But if some Mom or Dad happens to stumble upon Matty Collector, then they must take 'Sold Out' at face value. It's contrary to the intended meaning of human language and communication. So, until Matty decides to replace 'Sold Out' with a more accurate and non-doublespeak term, then I will also take them at face value, even though I know better.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:57 am 
5" Scale

Howard the Duck wrote:
If I walk into McDonalds, and they are 'Sold Out' of Big Macs, it means exactly that. Ronald McDonald isn't pulling remaining Big Mac beef patties for some dopey future use.

I do realize that Matty's definition of 'Sold Out' seems to be quite different than the dictionary definition. I really do. But if some Mom or Dad happens to stumble upon Matty Collector, then they must take 'Sold Out' at face value. It's contrary to the intended meaning of human language and communication. So, until Matty decides to replace 'Sold Out' with a more accurate and non-doublespeak term, then I will also take them at face value, even though I know better.

WTH are you talking about? Mom and Dads do not stubble across Matty, not in any amount that would matter to the bottom line.

And if you do realize that Mattys Sold out is a different term, then why did you start this topic in the first place.

Again JLU does not sell, we had an amazing run. I am happy we might and I say might have a chance for those last 3 packs.

So either you need to start collecting Custom JLU figures, which there are some amazing artists here, or collect something else. Those are the real world choices.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:59 am 
serves the Otter

You know how I always annoyingly say, if you're explaining, you're losing? Well, that was only to try to get Mattel to release the last figures. Now that we know the three packs are almost certainly coming Mattel doesn't have to justify anything to us anymore.

Let's just work on getting Firefly, Dr. Destiny and Volcana.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:07 am 
Aspires to be #1

Howard the Duck wrote:

Wow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:12 am 
serves the Otter

j1h15233 wrote:
Howard the Duck wrote:

Wow

Kind of makes this thread seem a bit pointless, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:15 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

fball13z wrote:
Howard the Duck wrote:

WTH are you talking about? Mom and Dads do not stubble across Matty, not in any amount that would matter to the bottom line.

And if you do realize that Mattys Sold out is a different term, then why did you start this topic in the first place.

Again JLU does not sell, we had an amazing run. I am happy we might and I say might have a chance for those last 3 packs.

So either you need to start collecting Custom JLU figures, which there are some amazing artists here, or collect something else. Those are the real world choices.

If Mom and Dad were to 'stubble' across Matty, then either Matty is invading someone's boudoir, or Mommy and daddy shave in some strange places.

I started the topic because of the principle of it all. Here is the spotlight, and there is where I shined it.

JLU does sell, or else Matty would never have bothered with everything after Lobo, nor would Mattel have bothered to even show JLU at Toy Fair 2011. JLU is no longer at Target simply because Target made a decision not to sell them in favor of seling something else. Period. The fact that it was almost a done deal(Mattel even thought JLU was a definite go for 2011) proves that JLU was viable enough to both companies to continue it throughout 2011. JLU sold well enough despite all of it's mishaps at retail. Without Mattel or Target divulging said numbers, all we have to go on are certain insiders and analysts insistence that it was such a bad toy line.

What Mattel and others really should say is that JLU did not sell as much as they wished it to. To say otherwise paints it in a different light. Again, poor choice of words on Mattel's part. Masters of the toy universe they may be, but the subtleties of the English language seem to escape them.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:17 am 
Aspires to be #1

Mattel continued the line in 2011 because Target pays them.

Target cancelled the line because we pay them.

JLU did not sell well enough at retail anymore.

MC.com offerings were only trying to recoup lost money...and also didn't sell well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:35 am 
5" Scale

j1h15233 wrote:
Mattel continued the line in 2011 because Target pays them.

Target cancelled the line because we pay them.

JLU did not sell well enough at retail anymore.

MC.com offerings were only trying to recoup lost money...and also didn't sell well.

Howard please read what J1h5233 has said here, please I am begging you to read it over and over.

JLU has a small fan base, and thats ok. Everything ends, everything, well maybe not a few people going over and over what a sell out really means on Mattys site, but everything else does end. We had an amazing run, over 120 different figures, including figures we never thought we would get, Im looking at you lobo!

I really wish people would focus on how truly amazing it is, this line lasted years after the show went of the air.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:45 am 
categorically opposed

Howard the Duck wrote:
What Mattel and others really should say is that JLU did not sell as much as they wished it to. To say otherwise paints it in a different light. Again, poor choice of words on Mattel's part. Masters of the toy universe they may be, but the subtleties of the English language seem to escape them.

They have come out and said that they are selling half of their MOQ.

Isn't the fact that they wished it was selling better kind of implicit in what they keep saying? You really need your hand held to guide you to that conclusion?

I'll just hold onto the rest comments for the next version of this thread that will be posted three months from now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:19 am 
Cold-cast

None of the past JLU sales / mistakes /or "selling out" makes any difference now. Mattel has given us a definitive and clear answer on the remaining JLU product.

To complete our JLU collections, here are our options, period.

1) Pay $50 a three pack for the remaining JLU figures

2) Pay $50 each for a decent custom of the remaining JLU figures

3) Pay $1,000 (or more) on Ebay for each remaining JLU figure

It's that simple. No amount of complaining or crazy analogies will change this. It's time to face reality and decide if you want these figures or not. Personally, I do. And I am positive once they sell out, the three packs will be instantly worth more than $50. So if you are on the fence, consider it an investment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:44 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

I am quite happy with my customs. Heck, I've even had some customs made of characters that were released in the JLU line because the official version sucked. Star Girl... Dr. Fate... Psycho Pirate...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:24 am 
Brand Manager

batfink wrote:
Mattel has given us a definitive and clear answer on the remaining JLU product. [...] It's that simple. No amount of complaining or crazy analogies will change this. It's time to face reality and decide if you want these figures or not.

My main issue is that Mattel has given us definitive and clear answers in the past, only to have time tell a different story. For instance, when Mattel was trying to get people to subscribe to the Infinite Earths Subscription, they made statements in that same vein. They said that the only way to get fan demanded characters like Jay Garrick and Atrocitus was through the sub; and that the new All-Star line would concentrate on better known characters. Then lo & behold, Flash Point Plastic Man comes along. And the thing is, I can see the JLU Manhunters... and Dr. Polaris... and JLU Tomar-Re showing up 9 months from now as part of the Green Lantern Animated line. And if that were the case, I would be very upset with myself if I had allowed Mattel to hussle $50 dollars out of me, for a Guy Gardner that I could easily be buying, a year from now, at 1/4th the cost.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:17 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

red Ricky wrote:
My main issue is that Mattel has given us definitive and clear answers in the past, only to have time tell a different story.

I seem to remember a certain interview with Mattel about The Infinite Earths Sub where they stated that the sub HAD to reach the 100% mark to go through. Yet it still made it with what? Only 60%? It's things like these that always keep me a little suspicious of any statement Mattel makes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:06 pm 
5" Scale

whakojacko1976 wrote:
red Ricky wrote:
My main issue is that Mattel has given us definitive and clear answers in the past, only to have time tell a different story.

I seem to remember a certain interview with Mattel about The Infinite Earths Sub where they stated that the sub HAD to reach the 100% mark to go through. Yet it still made it with what? Only 60%? It's things like these that always keep me a little suspicious of any statement Mattel makes.

yes but they did that by charging more for same day of figures, they are trying to make up the difference with charging more for day of figures.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:39 pm 
Aspires to be #1

fball13z wrote:
yes but they did that by charging more for same day of figures, they are trying to make up the difference with charging more for day of figures.

They also opened the sub back up after that point and obviously got some more sales.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next