Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:44 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

j1h15233 wrote:
fball13z wrote:
yes but they did that by charging more for same day of figures, they are trying to make up the difference with charging more for day of figures.

They also opened the sub back up after that point and obviously got some more sales.

It still wasn't the 100% that they just had to have. Sorry but I never bought that whole thermometer deal. I don't think things were quite as bad as they would have us believe. I actually think they had all the subs they needed regardless of what the thermometer said at the end. It was all to drum up extra sales. Although I do think it might have been a little greedy on their part I can totally respect it as a smart business ploy. I don't really think it's that much different than when the list this JLU stuff a "Sold Out" while we all know it isn't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:01 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Man, this site has officially broken down into three groups

1. The group who doesn't think everything Mattel says and does is a lie

2. The group who does think everything Mattel says and does is a lie

3. The crazies

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:31 pm 
Daniel Pickett

whakojacko1976 wrote:
It still wasn't the 100% that they just had to have. Sorry but I never bought that whole thermometer deal. I don't think things were quite as bad as they would have us believe. I actually think they had all the subs they needed regardless of what the thermometer said at the end. It was all to drum up extra sales. Although I do think it might have been a little greedy on their part I can totally respect it as a smart business ploy. I don't really think it's that much different than when the list this JLU stuff a "Sold Out" while we all know it isn't.

No. That is not true.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:28 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

My 2 cents...

Mattel is not a one person show. You probably have some people that are only looking at finance, and then you have people like Toyguru who really do their best for us. That best is often a compromise that isn't ideal, but the best we are going to get. This, is the best we are going to get. The bottom line is, if these get released, you can choose to buy them or not. Period. IF it's too expensive (and I don't blame you if it is, cuz it is alot of $), don't buy them. You may want them, but that doesn't mean you are entitled to them. I want a new 47" TV for $100. But that won't happen either. You may not like the quality of the JLU figures, and may compare it to the general JLU figure that's only worth 10-20 bucks... but in the back of all of those is Volcana going for almost $200. These are going to be in that realm... These are for the die hards, if that's not you, it's ok, but don't plead your case of self entitlement and think you deserve it. You don't. You want it, buy it, or shhhhhhhhh :twisted:

As for the perspective of Matty being this evil financial genius out to screw over us geeks for a buck... They're doing their best.

Never blame on conspiracy, what stupidity can explain 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:49 pm 
Brand Manager

whakojacko1976 wrote:
red Ricky wrote:
My main issue is that Mattel has given us definitive and clear answers in the past, only to have time tell a different story.

I seem to remember a certain interview with Mattel about The Infinite Earths Sub where they stated that the sub HAD to reach the 100% mark to go through. Yet it still made it with what? Only 60%? It's things like these that always keep me a little suspicious of any statement Mattel makes.

The first time around the Sub only got 43% of its intended goal.

By the time the Sub rolled around for a second time, Mattel had already decided that the Sub would go through (with a "per standard figure" price increase of $5 dollars.) That's when they got the meter to 62%. Which is great. I don't have a problem with that. That is all on the record.

My problem lies with the fact that, in order to fill the same gap of 60%... 50%... 40% of the needed customers, Mattel has decided to charge existing customers proportionally more, than they were willing to charge the Infinite Earths crowd for a completely new DC Universe Classics figure.

The fact that Mattel found ways to adjust their DCUC cost structure so as to make those offerings affordable; and yet appears to be unwilling to make any concessions when it comes to their JLU offerings... Well, it just puts a bitter-sour taste in my mouth. More so when I do the math and realize that 50% of the unproduced 3-packs consist of nothing but old (very old) figures that have already paid for themselves over, and over, and over, through the course of the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:51 pm 
Daniel Pickett

There are more people buying DCUC than there are buying JLU.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

More people are buying DCUC because they are generally better painted, have more articulation, accessories, and non-bendy leg syndrom. Not to mention Mattel didn't jack up the price by over 2x in the course of the line. Sorry but I really don't see how anyone can defend Mattel. They are the largest toy company on the planet and their quality, pricing and availablility are the worst in my opinion. I never ever have a problem picking up the Star Wars, G.I. Joe or Transformers I am looking for from Hasbro. Maybe not when the first come out but I always get them from the store and at a reasonable price. I can't say the same for Mattel. Since the 200X He-man relaunch and Batman lines of the early 2000's Mattel has made a real mess of things and still can't fix problems like reversed body parts, splotchy painting and terrible distribution and case loadout. No no, I'm sorry Mattel doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Not anymore. I generally don't give second or third chances and I gave Mattel at least 20. I can't wait for someone else to get the DC license, because Mattel has no clue what they are doing and show no signs of improving. I don't know if Mattel is an evil company but you can certainly say the are at the least incompetent. As for Toyguru, seems like a nice guy that is a fan like us. Beyond that? Who knows? But someone at Mattel has been royally screwing things up and we always seem to eat you-know-what for it. Mattel is the first company I have ever heard of that blames the public for a product that fails. It never has anything to do with the rediculous price hike, and quality issues. Nope. It's always the same old story. "JLU fans are vocal but few" Sure.

Well anyway, these are just my thoughts on the issue, yours may vary :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:31 am 
Aspires to be #1

FAN-DOR wrote:
More people are buying DCUC because they are generally better painted, have more articulation, accessories, and non-bendy leg syndrom. Not to mention Mattel didn't jack up the price by over 2x in the course of the line. Sorry but I really don't see how anyone can defend Mattel. They are the largest toy company on the planet and their quality, pricing and availablility are the worst in my opinion. I never ever have a problem picking up the Star Wars, G.I. Joe or Transformers I am looking for from Hasbro. Maybe not when the first come out but I always get them from the store and at a reasonable price. I can't say the same for Mattel. Since the 200X He-man relaunch and Batman lines of the early 2000's Mattel has made a real mess of things and still can't fix problems like reversed body parts, splotchy painting and terrible distribution and case loadout. No no, I'm sorry Mattel doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Not anymore. I generally don't give second or third chances and I gave Mattel at least 20. I can't wait for someone else to get the DC license, because Mattel has no clue what they are doing and show no signs of improving. I don't know if Mattel is an evil company but you can certainly say the are at the least incompetent. As for Toyguru, seems like a nice guy that is a fan like us. Beyond that? Who knows? But someone at Mattel has been royally screwing things up and we always seem to eat you-know-what for it. Mattel is the first company I have ever heard of that blames the public for a product that fails. It never has anything to do with the rediculous price hike, and quality issues. Nope. It's always the same old story. "JLU fans are vocal but few" Sure.

Well anyway, these are just my thoughts on the issue, yours may vary :?

So DCUC figures didn't start at 9.99 and end up at 18.99? Last time I checked they did.

Outside of con exclusives I bet you can't name 5-10 characters out of 200 that are impossible to find. DCUC has had great availability.

And Mattel really screwed it up? Really? We have at least 120 different characters in JLU and have surely surpasses that with DCUC, which is a style that's still going strong. Please don't take the license from Mattel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:27 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

j1h15233 wrote:
Man, this site has officially broken down into three groups

1. The group who doesn't think everything Mattel says and does is a lie

2. The group who does think everything Mattel says and does is a lie

3. The crazies

With a couple of exception 2 and 3 are turning out to be the same thing.

I have my problems with Mattel. I still think they are scamming us with shipping charges and their explanations for the high rates makes little sense. But other than that I don't have the hard-on hatred for the company that many seem to. They say JLU isn't selling well, and the fact that it never sells out on Matty would seem to confirm that so I have no reason to doubt them. People are all too willing to ascribe nefarious motives to a company that has bent over backwards to accomadate the dwindling JLU fanbase. Even with the terribly high prices I have never seen a toy company do what they did with two or three waves of unproduced figures. That's frankly unprecedented and if people really WANT to skip them, they can but speaking as someone who will save up to work it out in his budget, it's appreciated.

New rule: If you don't acknowledge the existence of the federal government, then you don't get to use its Constitution.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:46 am 
5" Scale

red Ricky wrote:
Well, it just puts a bitter-sour taste in my mouth.

Funny, b/c that is what JLU does to Mattel.

DCUC sells more than JLU, JLU does not sell enough. How do you guys keep ignoring facts?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:01 am 
Knows his stuff

j1h15233 wrote:
Outside of con exclusives I bet you can't name 5-10 characters out of 200 that are impossible to find.

There were no figures literally "impossible" to find, since some people actually have the elusive Volcana. But if you want to say "difficult without checking every store in a 300-mile radius on a daily basis", the Legends of the League and Secret Society six-packs will get you 5-10 characters alone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:16 am 
Aspires to be #1

jamiwa3 wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
Outside of con exclusives I bet you can't name 5-10 characters out of 200 that are impossible to find.

There were no figures literally "impossible" to find, since some people actually have the elusive Volcana. But if you want to say "difficult without checking every store in a 300-mile radius on a daily basis", the Legends of the League and Secret Society six-packs will get you 5-10 characters alone.

I was talking about DCUC, not JLU. JLU definitely has some hard to find figures.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:23 am 
Knows his stuff

j1h15233 wrote:
I was talking about DCUC, not JLU. JLU definitely has some hard to find figures.

My bad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:27 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Here's what I know... if I wanted to start a Star Wars collection today, or even a Marvel collection today, I could probably pick up 30 unique characters at any Target or Toys R Us in my area (based on my experience when I am in those aisles - yes, I've actually counted). For Star Wars, it's probably closer to 50. I don't think I've ever been able to do that with any of Mattel's DC lines. Maybe that's because DC just doesn't sell as well, so they aren't worth that investment. Maybe the stores aren't ordering the product. It's just my experience that the availability of Mattel's DC product isn't up to par with its competitors. I'm not saying there isn't a darn good reason. It's just an observation. That has got to have at least contributed a little to the downturn in sales.

But in my experience, when sales are through the roof, product gets made. Companies don't abandon great sellers. They just don't. JLU is over because it stopped selling. Pretty plain and simple.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:40 am 
Aspires to be #1

Backward Galaxy wrote:
Here's what I know... if I wanted to start a Star Wars collection today, or even a Marvel collection today, I could probably pick up 30 unique characters at any Target or Toys R Us in my area (based on my experience when I am in those aisles - yes, I've actually counted). For Star Wars, it's probably closer to 50. I don't think I've ever been able to do that with any of Mattel's DC lines. Maybe that's because DC just doesn't sell as well, so they aren't worth that investment. Maybe the stores aren't ordering the product. It's just my experience that the availability of Mattel's DC product isn't up to par with its competitors. I'm not saying there isn't a darn good reason. It's just an observation. That has got to have at least contributed a little to the downturn in sales.

But in my experience, when sales are through the roof, product gets made. Companies don't abandon great sellers. They just don't. JLU is over because it stopped selling. Pretty plain and simple.

While there are several reasons it stopped selling, which I won't get into, comparing it or anything else to Star Wars is definitely not fair. And Marvel certainly has their distribution to stores working better than Mattel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next