Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:29 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Hasbro has the kids in Star Wars, Marvel and Transformers so that is why they can be alot more aggressive in their toy lines.

JLU is over because of kids. They tried everything, price increase, re-packs with well known characters and now $50 a pack.

In order for DC to be on Hasbro's level they have to get the kids but they are not able too. They tried with GL and it flopped. Batman is too "adult" and Superman, meh we'll see.

The best thing for Hasbro as far as comic book action figures go was the massive success of Iron Man. That movie opened up the floodgates and now for years they are going to have kids watching all of the Avenger movies. Spider-man is rebooting as well. DC needs to get the Justice League movie moving but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:37 am 
Aspires to be #1

DC needs to get WB out of their way or it'll never happen.

Hopefully this upcoming Superman will set the stage for a DC movie universe and then they can start fresh with all of their franchises. Having GL show up in the Superman movie at any point would go a long way for kids and fans.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:02 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well, when WB saw how much $$ a "darker" Batman could make it kind of f-ed it up for kids. Batman is hands down the most popular superhero ever and Brave and the Bold is not cutting it with getting kids interested in him.

As much as I love the Bale movies I'm hoping for a reboot that has a tie-in with GL and Superman and then eventually a JL movie but that is a pipe dream right now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:44 am 
Brand Manager

JuliusMarx wrote:
There are more people buying DCUC than there are buying JLU.

That's why margins are calculated in the form of percentages. So that executives and investors are able to compare the performance of Crystal Pepsi & Diet Pepsi accross the board (even though the quantities produced for each item are substantially different.) And in this particular case, both DCUC & JLU were/are 40% in the red in terms of their own MOQ. Again, this is how you compare multiple lines with different production units & costs. That is, assuming all the information we have collected is on the up & Up. And if that's the case, then the issue seems to be twofold:

1- Mattel found ways to cut costs for DCUC, but is currently unwilling to do the same for JLU (i.e. eliminate reissues, packaging expenses and such);

2- or they would rather take a loss by not producing the figures, than not meet their standard profit margin (as they normally do). In other words, a Win/Lose scenario where they either get the profits they want, or take the ball home (and lose) rather than meet their consumer base halfway by charging $35 dollars instead of $50.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:01 am 
serves the Otter

red Ricky wrote:
That's why margins are calculated in the form of percentages. So that executives and investors are able to compare the performance of Crystal Pepsi & Diet Pepsi accross the board (even though the quantities produced for each item are substantially different.) And in this particular case, both DCUC & JLU were/are 40% in the red in terms of their own MOQ. Again, this is how you compare multiple lines with different production units & costs. That is, assuming all the information they have provided is on the up & Up. And if that's the case, then the issue seems to be twofold:

1- Mattel found ways to cut costs for DCUC, but is currently unwilling to do the same for JLU (i.e. eliminate reissues, packaging expenses and such);

2- or they would rather take a loss by not producing the figures, than not meet their standard profit margin (as they normally do). In other words, a Win/Lose scenario where they either get what they want, or take the ball home rather than meet their consumer base halfway by charging $35 dollars instead of $50.

Excellent points, Red Ricky. I suck at math so it's good someone on this board doesn't.

However just to play Devil's Advocate, isn't it possible the only reason these figures might be greenlit is because the price point means Mattel will make a substantial profit? I'm pretty sure they're not in the business to just break even and it's very likely that Fangirl was able to convince the suits to do this because the profit margin would be so high. If it's the only way Mattel would be willing to bring back a property that has been a loss for them in the past year or so, isn't it better that we got the figures at this price than not at all?

Just thinking out loud. I'm betting a bunch of people will disagree with this post but the price tag may be Mattel's way of making back it's investment on JLU.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:06 am 
Aspires to be #1

I wish I could make up facts and numbers too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:32 am 
Brand Manager

Fone Bone wrote:
However just to play Devil's Advocate, isn't it possible the only reason these figures might be greenlit is because the price point means Mattel will make a substantial profit?

Yes. But they say they are not committing any more resources, so a substantial part of their investment is already in the books. By "not turning the machines ON"... they will still take a loss.

Let me simplify things...

I ask you to build me a bicycle.

You say it's okay and built the frame and buy the tires, chains, bolts, seats, etc.) You spend $40 dollars out of your own pocket and come back to me with a price tag of $100. I say no way, that's too high. You say that you still need to assemble it, paint it and put in a box. That is going to cost you around $20 dollars. I tell you that all I can afford is $80 dollars. You have 4 options:

1-take the $40 dollar loss for the moneys you have already invested,

2- hold steadfast to your $40 dollar profit margin (i.e. $100 Price - $60 Costs)

3- Accept the offer and make $20 dollars (i.e. $80 Price - $60 Costs),

4- Accept the offer and try to cut costs in order to reach potentially $30 dollars in profit.

What would you do?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:44 am 
serves the Otter

What I would personally do would probably differ greatly from a big business company.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:49 am 
Brand Manager

j1h15233 wrote:
I wish I could make up facts and numbers too.

The information is out there. The Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) for the DCUC sub is represented by the Meters used for the Sub. The MOQ for JLU is represented by the statements made by Toy Guru with regards to the percentage of 7-packs/Doom Patrol packs that were sold in relation to JLU's MOQ. The comparison is made through a conversion factor. Kinda like solving for "Y" by substituting an Equation for "X". In other words, there is nothing made up. Anyways... this is my "nice" response on account of the friendship and mutual respect I thought we had. Next time I come out swinging. So it's probably for the best if you were to put me on your ignore list for a while. 'Cause I truly believe that the $50 dollar price tag represents Mattel's way of solving the problem quickly and without putting much effort into it. I don't believe that the $50 dollar price tag is "their only solution" after having exhausted all possible alternatives, just like I don't believe that the Parents/Grandparents requested the Eclipso 6-pack; or that the Legends of the League/Secret Society II packs were manufactured "in the same quantities" as the other 6-packs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:23 am 
5" Scale

red Ricky wrote:
JuliusMarx wrote:
There are more people buying DCUC than there are buying JLU.

That's why margins are calculated in the form of percentages. So that executives and investors are able to compare the performance of Crystal Pepsi & Diet Pepsi accross the board (even though the quantities produced for each item are substantially different.) And in this particular case, both DCUC & JLU were/are 40% in the red in terms of their own MOQ. Again, this is how you compare multiple lines with different production units & costs. That is, assuming all the information we have collected is on the up & Up. And if that's the case, then the issue seems to be twofold:

2- or they would rather take a loss by not producing the figures, than not meet their standard profit margin (as they normally do). In other words, a Win/Lose scenario where they either get the profits they want, or take the ball home (and lose) rather than meet their consumer base halfway by charging $35 dollars instead of $50.

Dude you need to pass around what you are smoking.

you are pulling numbers out of your butt.

Also have you heard the term "stop the bleeding", its what we use in the real business world. It means we have already lost too much money on a product, ie JLU, Lets not lose anymore money. Or how about "cut your loses", in case you didnt figure it out, it means the same thing.

DCUC sells more than JLU, will you please understand that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:10 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I just ate but grabbing some popcorn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:13 am 
Brand Manager

fball13z wrote:

It's called a Masters Degree with a Concentration In Accounting from the University of Texas at Austin.

A program currently ranked #1 in the Nation!!!

So yeah! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... g-rankings

fball13z wrote:
Also have you heard the term "stop the bleeding", its what we use in the real business world.

Ha! Here's an idea for a pseudo moderator like yourself... trace my IP ...see if you can tell where it's coming from... now... is that "real business world" for you?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:34 am 
Cold-cast

ian5555 wrote:
Well, when WB saw how much $$ a "darker" Batman could make it kind of f-ed it up for kids. Batman is hands down the most popular superhero ever and Brave and the Bold is not cutting it with getting kids interested in him.

As much as I love the Bale movies I'm hoping for a reboot that has a tie-in with GL and Superman and then eventually a JL movie but that is a pipe dream right now.

The thing is, it's not just WB. DC is just as bad. When you have Wonderdog graphically ripping out Marvins throat and then chasing Wendy through Titans Tower as she begs for help, that don't exactly pull the kids in. Or the roasted impaled Power Boy hanging dead from trees.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:42 am 
Knows his stuff

Titan Speck wrote:
The thing is, it's not just WB. DC is just as bad. When you have Wonderdog graphically ripping out Marvins throat and then chasing Wendy through Titans Tower as she begs for help, that don't exactly pull the kids in.

Wait, this happened? That is awesome! I couldn't stand Marvin, Wendy and that dumb dog, but if Wonder Dog killed Marvin, I have much more respect for him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:18 am 
Aspires to be #1

red Ricky wrote:
fball13z wrote:

It's called a Masters Degree with a Concentration In Accounting from the University of Texas at Austin.

A program currently ranked #1 in the Nation!!!

So yeah! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... g-rankings

fball13z wrote:
Also have you heard the term "stop the bleeding", its what we use in the real business world.

Ha! Here's an idea for a pseudo moderator like yourself... trace my IP ...see if you can tell where it's coming from... now... is that "real business world" for you?

You can have all the degrees you want but unless you work at Mattel and have access to their books and their numbers, then you're making things up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next