Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:37 am 
User avatar
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 2674
Location: Long Island N.Y. USA
Okay, so you say SOLD OUT means they were pulled because of poor sales.
Well lets settle it when.

Who here didn't get a 7-pack, Lobo, Parademons, JSA, or STRIPE because it was gone before you could get one?

_________________
That which does not kill me............BETTER RUN DAMN FAST!
"W" JLU Static Shock, Fire (powered up) & old Volcana
MY SWAP MEET: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19728
AFi Positive Feedback: +198


Last edited by An-Gel Sakura on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:49 am 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:01 am
Posts: 1976
Location: J Street
j1h15233 wrote:
You can have all the degrees you want but unless you work at Mattel and have access to their books and their numbers, then you're making things up.

Well, that's what high-quality degrees get you. The tools necessary to infer proprietary information, without having to steal it.

By the way, you do know that if Mattel decides to release one $50 dollar 3-pack at a time, and the first one Bombs and doesn't sell, that will be the end of things. They'll pull the plug immediately and you won't get the remaining five 3-packs that you really want.

So unless you are absolutely 100% sure that the 3-packs will sellout at $50 dollars a Pop, it's probably in everyone's best interest for Mattel to explore other alternatives (or a mixture of alternatives), rather than settle this very expensive/risky option.

_________________
Essential JLU:...1. Jax-Ur...2. Robin (Grayson)...3. Trickster...4. Power Girl...5. Spectre
...6. Chronos...7. Killer Croc w/BabyDoll...8. Felix Faust...9. Poison Ivy...10. Deathstroke
Bonus:...Starfire, Steppenwolf w/Desaad, the Joker's Jokerz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:01 pm 
User avatar
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 am
Posts: 8276
Location: Phoenix Metropolitan Area
You guys are taking this WAAAAAAY too seriously.

They're giving you an unprecedented opportunity to complete your beloved JLU. You should be jumping up and down for joy.

If it's too much, don't buy it. It's that simple.

Mattel's giving you a take it or leave it option. Make a choice. :roll:

BTW I tend to agree with Ricky ( :shock: ) that there's probably other ways for them to get the figures out there, but The Powers That Be at Mattel probably aren't interested.

_________________
Leave it up to a billionaire to buy the world some time --- Tony Stark

Trade Rating +55 and counting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:29 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:29 pm
Posts: 1540
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
I don't think anyone disagrees there as there are always options but Mattel wants to go the direction of most profitable and I can't blame them there. It's sad to say but if you have a product that a limited amount of people want BUT they want it in the worst way what do you do?

You gut em for $50 a pop. I see no problem with that if people are willing to pay it. That is business.

I think it is more the numbers about MOQ that people were laughing at because none of us has the information to remotely make an educated guess, unless you go to Texas University I guess......or have a crystalball (I lost mine years ago btw).

_________________
“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.” Thomas Jefferson

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:46 pm 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12400
Location: College Station, TX
red Ricky wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
You can have all the degrees you want but unless you work at Mattel and have access to their books and their numbers, then you're making things up.

Well, that's what high-quality degrees get you. The tools necessary to infer proprietary information, without having to steal it.

By the way, you do know that if Mattel decides to release one $50 dollar 3-pack at a time, and the first one Bombs and doesn't sell, that will be the end of things. They'll pull the plug immediately and you won't get the remaining five 3-packs that you really want.

So unless you are absolutely 100% sure that the 3-packs will sellout at $50 dollars a Pop, it's probably in everyone's best interest for Mattel to explore other alternatives (or a mixture of alternatives), rather than settle this very expensive/risky option.


Do you work at Mattel? Because if you don't then I don't want to hear it. You're just making things up because you think you know what's going on and in reality you don't know anything more than the rest of us do about their numbers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:28 pm 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:01 am
Posts: 1976
Location: J Street
Blah, blah, blah, numbers are hard, blah, blah, blah, multiple imputation is impossible, blah, blah, blah, Bayes invented witchcraft.

'Cause here in the real world, the tide comes in; the tide goes out. And Nobody knows.

Shush you astrophysicist!!! I SAID NOBODY KNOWS!!! :lol:

_________________
Essential JLU:...1. Jax-Ur...2. Robin (Grayson)...3. Trickster...4. Power Girl...5. Spectre
...6. Chronos...7. Killer Croc w/BabyDoll...8. Felix Faust...9. Poison Ivy...10. Deathstroke
Bonus:...Starfire, Steppenwolf w/Desaad, the Joker's Jokerz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:15 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3053
...

what red Ricky said!

:!:

_________________
'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:28 pm 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12400
Location: College Station, TX
You two are part of group three


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:43 pm 
User avatar
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 2674
Location: Long Island N.Y. USA
Off topic. You guys want this thread over here> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23291

_________________
That which does not kill me............BETTER RUN DAMN FAST!
"W" JLU Static Shock, Fire (powered up) & old Volcana
MY SWAP MEET: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19728
AFi Positive Feedback: +198


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:06 am 
User avatar
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:01 am
Posts: 1976
Location: J Street
Howard the Duck wrote:
...

what red Ricky said!

:!:

Look at us Howard!!! ...not wanting to spend $150 dollars on nine plastic figures we already have. How will we explain ourselves to the rest of the world?

_________________
Essential JLU:...1. Jax-Ur...2. Robin (Grayson)...3. Trickster...4. Power Girl...5. Spectre
...6. Chronos...7. Killer Croc w/BabyDoll...8. Felix Faust...9. Poison Ivy...10. Deathstroke
Bonus:...Starfire, Steppenwolf w/Desaad, the Joker's Jokerz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:44 am 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
Since ricky is the only one in the world with a Masters degree, we should take everything he says as gospel. :roll:

Bottom line - are there other ways that these figures could be released? Sure. THIS is how Mattel wants to do it. THIS is your option. You can be a be a jerk about it and make demands ("I will only give you my money if you do X, Y, and Z"). You can take them up on their offer; or you can pass on it because it is a ton of money for Happy Meal toys.

No one here is in a position to act like a jerk, though groups two and three make a science of it.

You can flaunt your fancy degree around all you want. Doesn't impress me. I know a ton of people with MBAs from varying schools. We could all spout of the crap you're spewing.

The Unabomber went to Harvard. If only we'd listened to him!

Oh, yeah...how are those convention exclusive packs doing? Setting the world on fire!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:32 am 
User avatar
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:48 am
Posts: 2674
Location: Long Island N.Y. USA
MoMoney wrote:
Since ricky is the only one in the world with a Masters degree, we should take everything he says as gospel. :roll:

I'll see your Masters degree and raise you. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Michael Myers wrote:
"I did not go to 8yrs of evil medical school to be call Mister Evil!"


I don't care how many degrees a person has, we're all only human. Me most of all.

_________________
That which does not kill me............BETTER RUN DAMN FAST!
"W" JLU Static Shock, Fire (powered up) & old Volcana
MY SWAP MEET: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19728
AFi Positive Feedback: +198


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3053
No one here is being a jerk. We 'loud but not numerous' are simply voicing our concerns, criticisms and established truths. The way I see it, some hereabouts simply rail against contrary and out-of-the-box thinking...especially when the vociferous but not infintie JLU fans let their mindsets run rampant. Those like me have valid points, and raise interesting questions.

_________________
'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:02 am 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12400
Location: College Station, TX
Howard the Duck wrote:
No one here is being a jerk. We 'loud but not numerous' are simply voicing our concerns, criticisms and established truths. The way I see it, some hereabouts simply rail against contrary and out-of-the-box thinking...especially when the vociferous but not infintie JLU fans let their mindsets run rampant. Those like me have valid points, and raise interesting questions.


You didn't make a valid point or raise an interesting question. You complained about something you already knew the answer to and then admitted that you knew the answer but were going to be stubborn because you don't like the way MattyCollector works. Then on top of that, you believe the things that Ricky spouts out even though he doesn't work for Mattel and has zero access to their books. Usually I just ignore you two because you're generally trying to help JLU and that's always my overall goal but lately, you're doing just the opposite.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 pm 
5" Scale
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1790
j1h15233 wrote:
You didn't make a valid point or raise an interesting question. You complained about something you already knew the answer to and then admitted that you knew the answer but were going to be stubborn because you don't like the way MattyCollector works.
True.
Quote:

Then on top of that, you believe the things that Ricky spouts out even though he doesn't work for Mattel and has zero access to their books.

This is a bit harsh. It's true that Red Ricky is merely speculating and we can't take his numbers "as gospel" (whatever that means) but he makes some persuading arguments which would have been nice if the first post in this thread did. The biggest argument against Ricky's theory is that Mattel is a business and if they think they can make more money charging $50 instead of $35 they'll do it. Their only concern is whether or not people will pay it, not whether or not it's a financial hardship. And judging by the responses in the other thread it looks like many people (including me) are going to bite the bullet.

As for the degree thing, I won't automatically say he's right because he has a business degree but I'm also not one of those people who sneer at people who have a higher education. There is entirely too much bashing of smart people in this country and it's a national pasttime I'm sick of. I'm always hearing that "common sense" and not intelligence should always prevail which is another way of saying stupid people should be listened to ahead of smart people. I admire smart and educated people and if Ricky has a business degree it means he has some idea of what he's talking about. Not saying you have to agree with him (I disagree with him on this issue) but dismissing him probably isn't a good idea.

_________________
Punxsutawney Phil has been unfriended.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.026s | 10 Queries | GZIP : Off ]