Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:16 pm 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12566
Location: College Station, TX
I'm not arguing against him because he's smart. It's obvious he is but he also doesn't have any clue about the numbers so he's just making things up. Just because you say something in a really intelligent way it doesn't mean you're right.

And let's not pretend that Mattel hasn't seen us talking about putting JLU figures into the GL TAS line that we all believe is coming. They obviously... A. have no plans to do that or B. realize that they can make more money with the suggestion they're putting out now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:27 pm 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
Fone Bone wrote:
As for the degree thing, I won't automatically say he's right because he has a business degree but I'm also not one of those people who sneer at people who have a higher education. There is entirely too much bashing of smart people in this country and it's a national pasttime I'm sick of. I'm always hearing that "common sense" and not intelligence should always prevail which is another way of saying stupid people should be listened to ahead of smart people. I admire smart and educated people and if Ricky has a business degree it means he has some idea of what he's talking about. Not saying you have to agree with him (I disagree with him on this issue) but dismissing him probably isn't a good idea.

I have an MBA, too. I bet Mattel has one or two in their employ somewhere, too. It's nothing to sneer at, but there are plenty of people without them that do just fine. In other words, you don't need one to understand this issue.

DCUC sells better than JLU. A $180 DCUC boxed set just sold out twice, and the last three-packs Matty offered were given away both on Mad Matty Monday and at 50% off on Black Friday but still didn't sell out. In order to make the DCUC sub work, they're charging a 25% markup on approximately 35% of their production quantity (if their thermometer is to be believed). In order to make JLU work, they're charging a 150% markup on 100% of their quantity produced. That leads me to believe there are fewer JLU buyers than DCUC. If the numbers were the same, the markups would be more in line with each other, especially given the disparity in the costs of producing one over the other.

And JLU has to be infinitely cheaper than DCUC to manufacture. Most of the figures are new heads on existing bodies with all details painted on. DCUC has three times the number of parts to manufacture and assemble, plus more new sculpting and detailed paint jobs. They're apples and oranges.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:53 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3307
Location: San Diego, CA
I think we'd all do well to remember that we're all on the same side... We all want these three packs, and paying $50 per three pack, no matter if you will or won't, hurts...
We all bring something to the table on the discussion, we're all brainstorming. Instead of picking at each other's points, why not try to work off of them, improve upon them, or if you don't agree, ignore them. If you don't understand a point, ASK about it, don't berate someone over it.
Mattel is a big company. Nothing is a done deal, they're looking to see if there's even a small market for these. If they see that there is, perhaps they'll work with the pricing or provide some other incentive. But once we start arguing amongst ourselves, credibility is thrown out the window.

_________________
JLU Forever! And is MOTUC EVER getting around to Ram Man?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:33 pm 
User avatar
Damn you, Autocorrect!
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:29 am
Posts: 1593
jzachery wrote:
I think we'd all do well to remember that we're all on the same side... We all want these three packs, and paying $50 per three pack, no matter if you will or won't, hurts...
We all bring something to the table on the discussion, we're all brainstorming. Instead of picking at each other's points, why not try to work off of them, improve upon them, or if you don't agree, ignore them. If you don't understand a point, ASK about it, don't berate someone over it.
Mattel is a big company. Nothing is a done deal, they're looking to see if there's even a small market for these. If they see that there is, perhaps they'll work with the pricing or provide some other incentive. But once we start arguing amongst ourselves, credibility is thrown out the window.


Great points. Thing have become so tense around here in just a few days. It's getting so bad I'm almost dying for Guapo to chime in with one of his off-the-wall comments and break the tension. Almost. :wink: Love you Guapo :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:46 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1873
jzachery wrote:
I think we'd all do well to remember that we're all on the same side... We all want these three packs, and paying $50 per three pack, no matter if you will or won't, hurts...
We all bring something to the table on the discussion, we're all brainstorming. Instead of picking at each other's points, why not try to work off of them, improve upon them, or if you don't agree, ignore them. If you don't understand a point, ASK about it, don't berate someone over it.
Mattel is a big company. Nothing is a done deal, they're looking to see if there's even a small market for these. If they see that there is, perhaps they'll work with the pricing or provide some other incentive. But once we start arguing amongst ourselves, credibility is thrown out the window.

What Jzachery said. I apologize for any and all incendiary remarks I made. We need to all calm down. However I think the tone for the thread was set with the first post. I hope we'll be able to rein ourselves in and not get sucked into that. Well, anymore than we already allowed ourselves to be.

_________________
"I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Mooooo! Think I'll chew me some cud!" - Smiley Bone a.k.a. The Mystery Cow.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:16 am 
PVC
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 151
Mattel's coming to get you!!! Watch out!!!!
The smart ones here knows Mattel is evil and do not believe their "sold out" and "thermometer" lies. They will survive the Mattypocalypse... They are prepared!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:32 am 
User avatar
ABS
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:33 pm
Posts: 296
Why is this always a debate on "who has the bigger pipi"? I mean, some of you are SUPPOSED to be adults! And some are supposed to even be adults with degrees! The only ARGUMENTS I've read in these forums are presented by the individuals under constant attack. There rest of you, who CONTINUE TO RESPOND and ARGUE with the people you claim are "crazy" are SICK! I mean, if you see a crazy person talking to himself and you start engaging him in conversation... guess what? You'll end up TALKING TO YOURSELF AS WELL. YOU are by definition CRAZIER!!!!
When are you ever going to grow up, people? NO WONDER YOU COLLECT TOYS!

Two important points being raised here, and nobody seems to address them based on their merits; but rather on how good it makes you feel to call somebody and 'idiot' on the internet. "HA! HA! I'm smart because other people are dumb. And their 'dumb' because they don't see the world like I do. And I'm zuper zmart!" However, the points are the following:
A) Mattycollector.com could, and has demonstrated 'can' change its marketing strategies, but refuses to (because it seemed to be working for three other lines, which are now in the process of dying as well).
B) Unity would benefit the remaining collectors, and taking on wackojacko's proposal, I have an idea. Please continue reading below (the following angry rant).

We've overstated Mattel's logistics are flawed (at least concerning Mattycollector.com). Their statements to the public are moronic or at best contradictory and dishonest. Look at the EVIDENCE people. We were told numerous times: "the numbers just aren't there. JLU fans are 'louder than numerous'. The only way they can speak is with their wallets." AND SUDDENLY, BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! "Guess what fans? There aren't enough of you guys for us to make a profit or even come out unscathed, BUT we still have a whole lot of product left over (and more that's already been produced CAUSE GETTING PRODUCT OUT TAKES THREE YEARS OF PREVIOUS PLANNING. WE CAN'T PULL ANYTHING OUT OF OUR BUTTS, although it may sometimes seem as if we do)... so, we know we said the line was dead, and there wouldn't be any more product, and that you guys weren't enough [blushing smile]... would you still take these at 50 bucks a pop?" AND YOU SAY YES!!! "Bring it. It's a smart business model. Touchè Mattel, you keep outsmarting me because people at your company have MBA's." And let me add to that, an education is very important. But there will always be incapable people with degrees and capable people. A degree guarantees nothing. But when a person like red Ricky takes him time to develop and argument, explain it, back it up by evidence, interpret the evidence, dissect it, and come up with a conclusion, and people counter talking out of their butts, I'll go with the guy with an MBA who seems to be making a valid point.

And add to all this, the people saying "yes" are the ones who were saying: "Quit whining. Mattel is no longer listening. They don't make a profit with this line, and profits are what businesses are all about. So suck it up. That's how the world works and there's no way around it." And yet here we are... AGAIN. After I've been reading the same crap for the past 6 YEARS. And THOSE people still CONTINUE to be wrong! For a little simple fact: PRODUCT CONTINUES TO BE RELEASED! And who knows what Mattel will pull out of its a$$ next! You will eat it up!!!

So here's the proposal: You want prices lowered. Mattel HAS to sell the product. If we take the following statement at face-value: "product has to be developed with years of anticipation, before it goes into production, which also takes time." That means there have been costs involved for Mattel. BOYCOTT THE PRODUCT. I mean, 132 people still vote yes on getting the figures released at $50, and if I remember correctly, this is a higher number than usual in AFI JLU related polls. Get together, and boycott! The way I see it, you have two options: stand up for all the times Mattel has conned you into giving them your money, or get conned again...

I'm done with the line, myself. And my contributions to AFI, cause I have no business here anymore. I have nothing to lose. But the way I see it, you don't either.

_________________
"Be a clown. Be a clown. All the world loves a clown."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:55 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3307
Location: San Diego, CA
thejokerslastlaugh wrote:
Why is this always a debate on "who has the bigger pipi"? I mean, some of you are SUPPOSED to be adults! And some are supposed to even be adults with degrees! The only ARGUMENTS I've read in these forums are presented by the individuals under constant attack. There rest of you, who CONTINUE TO RESPOND and ARGUE with the people you claim are "crazy" are SICK! I mean, if you see a crazy person talking to himself and you start engaging him in conversation... guess what? You'll end up TALKING TO YOURSELF AS WELL. YOU are by definition CRAZIER!!!!
When are you ever going to grow up, people? NO WONDER YOU COLLECT TOYS!

Two important points being raised here, and nobody seems to address them based on their merits; but rather on how good it makes you feel to call somebody and 'idiot' on the internet. "HA! HA! I'm smart because other people are dumb. And their 'dumb' because they don't see the world like I do. And I'm zuper zmart!" However, the points are the following:
A) Mattycollector.com could, and has demonstrated 'can' change its marketing strategies, but refuses to (because it seemed to be working for three other lines, which are now in the process of dying as well).
B) Unity would benefit the remaining collectors, and taking on wackojacko's proposal, I have an idea. Please continue reading below (the following angry rant).

We've overstated Mattel's logistics are flawed (at least concerning Mattycollector.com). Their statements to the public are moronic or at best contradictory and dishonest. Look at the EVIDENCE people. We were told numerous times: "the numbers just aren't there. JLU fans are 'louder than numerous'. The only way they can speak is with their wallets." AND SUDDENLY, BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! "Guess what fans? There aren't enough of you guys for us to make a profit or even come out unscathed, BUT we still have a whole lot of product left over (and more that's already been produced CAUSE GETTING PRODUCT OUT TAKES THREE YEARS OF PREVIOUS PLANNING. WE CAN'T PULL ANYTHING OUT OF OUR BUTTS, although it may sometimes seem as if we do)... so, we know we said the line was dead, and there wouldn't be any more product, and that you guys weren't enough [blushing smile]... would you still take these at 50 bucks a pop?" AND YOU SAY YES!!! "Bring it. It's a smart business model. Touchè Mattel, you keep outsmarting me because people at your company have MBA's." And let me add to that, an education is very important. But there will always be incapable people with degrees and capable people. A degree guarantees nothing. But when a person like red Ricky takes him time to develop and argument, explain it, back it up by evidence, interpret the evidence, dissect it, and come up with a conclusion, and people counter talking out of their butts, I'll go with the guy with an MBA who seems to be making a valid point.

And add to all this, the people saying "yes" are the ones who were saying: "Quit whining. Mattel is no longer listening. They don't make a profit with this line, and profits are what businesses are all about. So suck it up. That's how the world works and there's no way around it." And yet here we are... AGAIN. After I've been reading the same crap for the past 6 YEARS. And THOSE people still CONTINUE to be wrong! For a little simple fact: PRODUCT CONTINUES TO BE RELEASED! And who knows what Mattel will pull out of its a$$ next! You will eat it up!!!

So here's the proposal: You want prices lowered. Mattel HAS to sell the product. If we take the following statement at face-value: "product has to be developed with years of anticipation, before it goes into production, which also takes time." That means there have been costs involved for Mattel. BOYCOTT THE PRODUCT. I mean, 132 people still vote yes on getting the figures released at $50, and if I remember correctly, this is a higher number than usual in AFI JLU related polls. Get together, and boycott! The way I see it, you have two options: stand up for all the times Mattel has conned you into giving them your money, or get conned again...

I'm done with the line, myself. And my contributions to AFI, cause I have no business here anymore. I have nothing to lose. But the way I see it, you don't either.



This is a prime example. Why start off discussing your point by attacking anyone that will read it. I stopped reading this three sentences in. It sounds like you have a problem with the collecting community. I'm not sure I've ever even commented on a post of yours but I've been completely offended by your diatribe here and didn't even read a quarter of it.

As for me being an adult and collecting toys, why do any of us hold this over each other's heads? Like it's a character flaw or some sort of negative. It's not. If it is for you, got get some help. It's not a negative for me. I don't feel bad about it, and I won't allow you to make me feel bad about it. Anyone that doesn't like it, can go pound sand.
The thread started negatively. I'd say get on board with discussing it like an adult, or close the thread since it's not making any valid points what so ever.

_________________
JLU Forever! And is MOTUC EVER getting around to Ram Man?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:16 am 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12566
Location: College Station, TX
That's exactly why he and several other people on this board are blocked by me. Why waste time reading that post? Since you quoted it though I found it amusing that he insults everyone for an entire paragraph and then expects everyone to read his typo laden rant after that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:34 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3307
Location: San Diego, CA
j1h15233 wrote:
That's exactly why he and several other people on this board are blocked by me. Why waste time reading that post? Since you quoted it though I found it amusing that he insults everyone for an entire paragraph and then expects everyone to read his typo laden rant after that.


I've never blocked anyone on here before. Does it make it so you don't even see their posts? If so, I may look into it. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyguru had a blocked list on here for the very purpose that it's not constructive feedback, it's just ranting and conspiracy theories...

_________________
JLU Forever! And is MOTUC EVER getting around to Ram Man?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:55 am 
User avatar
ABS
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:33 pm
Posts: 296
j1h15233 wrote:
That's exactly why he and several other people on this board are blocked by me. Why waste time reading that post? Since you quoted it though I found it amusing that he insults everyone for an entire paragraph and then expects everyone to read his typo laden rant after that.

That's just because you think you posses an evolved mind. However, perception and reality are two very different things. You don't want to read it, but out of all people in these forums you are the biggest child. And I'll leave it at that. The fact you BLOCK people's opinions, rather than take them for what they are really worth, makes you a two year old who can't deal with dissent. That goes for the lot of you. I'd hope my last misspelled and inarticulate post managed to make people uncomfortable. The point is getting you to reflect on this ridiculous behavior. And if the answer is: THAT GUY IS ANNOYING; HE MISSPELLS WORDS, WAH! WAH! WAH! Then I corroborate my statement in another thread: when it comes to working together, you guys have as much of a chance at getting things done as a bucket of crabs.

My proposal is supposed to speak to the rest, those who can genuinely be called adults. The ones who can say: "Hey, the shoe doesn't fit. I'm not offended." or "He can think whatever he wants, it's just an opinion." or better yet, "Hey, I completely disagree with him. I'd rather not engage." The ADULTS who post here. However, I sympathize with them, cause to get something done, AS USUAL, they have to drag you children along with them. And this is the final threshold, either you hold together or you're gonna pay big bucks.

_________________
"Be a clown. Be a clown. All the world loves a clown."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:08 am 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
Jayson, if you block someone, as long as you're logged in, you can't see their posts unless they're quoted by someone who is not on your blocked list. It's a flawed system, but it is what it is. When I check out the forum from my iPhone, I'm not logged in, so I get to see those holier than thou posts that somehow try to paint their author as both a victim and the voice of truth and wisdom, when everyone actually knows otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:13 am 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12566
Location: College Station, TX
jzachery wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
That's exactly why he and several other people on this board are blocked by me. Why waste time reading that post? Since you quoted it though I found it amusing that he insults everyone for an entire paragraph and then expects everyone to read his typo laden rant after that.


I've never blocked anyone on here before. Does it make it so you don't even see their posts? If so, I may look into it. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyguru had a blocked list on here for the very purpose that it's not constructive feedback, it's just ranting and conspiracy theories...


It hides their posts but gives you the option of still reading them and it also blocks them from sending you any pms. I have a handful of people blocked because it's just not worth the time to read their childish rants. The perfect example is his response he just made to me, which I read because I was in the mood for a laugh. How can you seriously type that response and claim you're the adult joker? Everyone is allowed to have opinions, just like I'm allowed to believe your opinion is childish and a waste of time.

I can't wait until these last packs get released and then maybe some of these posters will just disappear. I really wish some of the lurkers who came out to post in support of JLU in the poll thread Daniel started would post more often. It was a really refreshing group of logical supportive posters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:30 am 
User avatar
ABS
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:33 pm
Posts: 296
Oh! Most definitely. You can tell I'm the only rude and impolite, extremely-of-base individual in these forums. Specially by the tenor of the civilized and elevated discussions you people generally have. Prime example: "He called me a child. But he's the child. And he's a poopy-face. I wish more people would speak up, so I can hear the same rhetoric I spew and believe my argument is solid because it has the numbers to back it up... And he may have an MBA, but does he have 'inside information' WAH, WAH, WAH." Really, THAT's adult behavior? And NO, I'm not high and mighty, I'm flawed like any other. This seemingly 'high and mighty' speech, is more of a 'I've lost my temper with your stubbornness' speech. I mean, I've been absent from the forums for the last THREE MONTHS! AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED. I don't expect passionate people to change their speech; but I would expect, those who claim to be reasonable and able to distinguish who is crazy and who is not to have WALKED AWAY and STOPPED ENGAGING a LOOOOONG TIME AGO... But I'm the sick, blockeable and crazy individual.

Ah, kids today. They don't grow up like they used to.

_________________
"Be a clown. Be a clown. All the world loves a clown."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:36 am 
Variant Head
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:33 am
Posts: 2112
First off J you do come off as rather .......unsavory at times. Not saying I do not as well but just pointing out you dseem to love to start childish arguments. Jokerslastlaugh has a great point but may I bring up another point ????


Would all you people who say yes to $50 a 3 pack be willing top buy 3 of the dsame exact $20 3 packs ??? Then let Mattel know that maybe they can up the production and lower costs ultimately selling more. For real why is that not an option on the poll this is insane you are willing to pay $50 for 3 JLU figures why not promise MAttel to just buy more then 1 3 pack ??

Either way I do believe Mattel has lied to us far too many times to be trusted. I have said it before but will say it again if you tell Mattel you are willing to pay $50 each 3 pack then be prepared for YJ to have a final wave sold on Matty.com for outrageous money. They will show us figures the last year at Toyfare then ship massive amounts of figures already produced and be like oh well no retailer wants these would you pay $20 a single ? Do I want these remaining JLU figures YES !! Am I a sucker no .............

_________________
Good trades with-
toychango, ian5555, BootsBailey, ashxking, an-gel sakura and lots more I have forgotten


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.065s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]