Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:45 am 
ABS

PBateman wrote:
First off J you do come off as rather .......unsavory at times. Not saying I do not as well but just pointing out you dseem to love to start childish arguments. Jokerslastlaugh has a great point but may I bring up another point ????

I know. And I love it when people point it out as politely as you did. I'm more than inclined to accept it. Unsavory would be an accurate, but very mild, way of putting it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:01 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

PBateman wrote:

Would all you people who say yes to $50 a 3 pack be willing top buy 3 of the dsame exact $20 3 packs ??? Then let Mattel know that maybe they can up the production and lower costs ultimately selling more. For real why is that not an option on the poll this is insane you are willing to pay $50 for 3 JLU figures why not promise MAttel to just buy more then 1 3 pack ??

No offense... but I don't really see the benefit in this. Isn't this actually going to cost us more money in the end? $20x3=$60 vs $50 :?: I'm not sure I follow you. Any more information?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:05 pm 
Aspires to be #1

PBateman wrote:
First off J you do come off as rather .......unsavory at times. Not saying I do not as well but just pointing out you dseem to love to start childish arguments. Jokerslastlaugh has a great point but may I bring up another point ????

I'm sure I do come off that way sometimes but I also don't care. I've been on these boards for a few years now and there are maybe 10 posters I've ever had a serious problem with and almost of those aren't here anymore. I'm not the type of guy who's going to walk on eggshells because other people are too sensitive either. Now if you can look back at any discussions I've ever had with some of these posters and tell me that I'm being the childish and immature person in the responses then we'll have to agree to disagree there.

Back on topic, why is this thread still active? It was pointless from the first post so can we just lock it up and look forward to getting some of the best JLU figures in the line.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:48 pm 
serves the Otter

thejokerslastlaugh wrote:
Why is this always a debate on "who has the bigger pipi"? I mean, some of you are SUPPOSED to be adults! And some are supposed to even be adults with degrees! The only ARGUMENTS I've read in these forums are presented by the individuals under constant attack. There rest of you, who CONTINUE TO RESPOND and ARGUE with the people you claim are "crazy" are SICK! I mean, if you see a crazy person talking to himself and you start engaging him in conversation... guess what? You'll end up TALKING TO YOURSELF AS WELL. YOU are by definition CRAZIER!!!!
When are you ever going to grow up, people? NO WONDER YOU COLLECT TOYS!

Two important points being raised here, and nobody seems to address them based on their merits; but rather on how good it makes you feel to call somebody and 'idiot' on the internet. "HA! HA! I'm smart because other people are dumb. And their 'dumb' because they don't see the world like I do. And I'm zuper zmart!" However, the points are the following:
A) Mattycollector.com could, and has demonstrated 'can' change its marketing strategies, but refuses to (because it seemed to be working for three other lines, which are now in the process of dying as well).
B) Unity would benefit the remaining collectors, and taking on wackojacko's proposal, I have an idea. Please continue reading below (the following angry rant).

We've overstated Mattel's logistics are flawed (at least concerning Mattycollector.com). Their statements to the public are moronic or at best contradictory and dishonest. Look at the EVIDENCE people. We were told numerous times: "the numbers just aren't there. JLU fans are 'louder than numerous'. The only way they can speak is with their wallets." AND SUDDENLY, BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! "Guess what fans? There aren't enough of you guys for us to make a profit or even come out unscathed, BUT we still have a whole lot of product left over (and more that's already been produced CAUSE GETTING PRODUCT OUT TAKES THREE YEARS OF PREVIOUS PLANNING. WE CAN'T PULL ANYTHING OUT OF OUR BUTTS, although it may sometimes seem as if we do)... so, we know we said the line was dead, and there wouldn't be any more product, and that you guys weren't enough [blushing smile]... would you still take these at 50 bucks a pop?" AND YOU SAY YES!!! "Bring it. It's a smart business model. Touchè Mattel, you keep outsmarting me because people at your company have MBA's." And let me add to that, an education is very important. But there will always be incapable people with degrees and capable people. A degree guarantees nothing. But when a person like red Ricky takes him time to develop and argument, explain it, back it up by evidence, interpret the evidence, dissect it, and come up with a conclusion, and people counter talking out of their butts, I'll go with the guy with an MBA who seems to be making a valid point.

And add to all this, the people saying "yes" are the ones who were saying: "Quit whining. Mattel is no longer listening. They don't make a profit with this line, and profits are what businesses are all about. So suck it up. That's how the world works and there's no way around it." And yet here we are... AGAIN. After I've been reading the same crap for the past 6 YEARS. And THOSE people still CONTINUE to be wrong! For a little simple fact: PRODUCT CONTINUES TO BE RELEASED! And who knows what Mattel will pull out of its a$$ next! You will eat it up!!!

So here's the proposal: You want prices lowered. Mattel HAS to sell the product. If we take the following statement at face-value: "product has to be developed with years of anticipation, before it goes into production, which also takes time." That means there have been costs involved for Mattel. BOYCOTT THE PRODUCT. I mean, 132 people still vote yes on getting the figures released at $50, and if I remember correctly, this is a higher number than usual in AFI JLU related polls. Get together, and boycott! The way I see it, you have two options: stand up for all the times Mattel has conned you into giving them your money, or get conned again...

I'm done with the line, myself. And my contributions to AFI, cause I have no business here anymore. I have nothing to lose. But the way I see it, you don't either.

How can you demand civility and maturity from others after a post like this? There's a word for this. It's called projection.

Edit: By the way, there is nothing remotely cowardly about putting people on ignore. Some of us don't enjoy internet drama. My life is stressful enough. I don't need a toy board where I go to relax to add to that.

Edit 2: I'm not done yet. I also find your attitudes towards mental illness completely backward. As someone who suffers from schizo-effective and PTSD I don't appreciate it when you label people who disagree with you crazy. Crazy is a VERY loaded word and if you use it, you'd better be sure it actually applies. Frankly, I find your entire outlook at mental illness offensive.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

Last edited by Fone Bone on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:50 pm 
Variant Head

whakojacko1976 wrote:
PBateman wrote:

Would all you people who say yes to $50 a 3 pack be willing top buy 3 of the dsame exact $20 3 packs ??? Then let Mattel know that maybe they can up the production and lower costs ultimately selling more. For real why is that not an option on the poll this is insane you are willing to pay $50 for 3 JLU figures why not promise MAttel to just buy more then 1 3 pack ??

No offense... but I don't really see the benefit in this. Isn't this actually going to cost us more money in the end? $20x3=$60 vs $50 :?: I'm not sure I follow you. Any more information?

So your not willing to drop an extra $10 to get 3 times the figures ?? I mean if people can commit to $50 for 3 JLU figures because they are going to make "less" then tell Mattel make as many as you did the JSA keep them at that price point and I will buy 3! And to those who would say well how can Mattel belive that ? Well how can Mattel believe all these people will pony up $50 each 3 pack, what if you get your $50 and it is painted like crap ? Will you buy another or buy the next pack that comes out ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:41 pm 
Former King of Posts

PBateman wrote:
So your not willing to drop an extra $10 to get 3 times the figures ??

Why would I want more than one of ANY figure in this line? I've been campaigning for the permanent removal of the 2nd repeat figure in a 3 pack for years. I see no point in me buying more than one of anything.

There are people who buy one to keep in package and one to have loose for display. But that is still not 3.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:52 pm 
Aspires to be #1

superfriend wrote:
PBateman wrote:
So your not willing to drop an extra $10 to get 3 times the figures ??

Why would I want more than one of ANY figure in this line? I've been campaigning for the permanent removal of the 2nd repeat figure in a 3 pack for years. I see no point in me buying more than one of anything.

There are people who buy one to keep in package and one to have loose for display. But that is still not 3.

Agreed. I want two of each but I don't need a third one for anything.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:36 pm 
Variant Head

You guys are missing my point ! Why would I say "Yes Mattel I want these but make less and charge me more !" Why not say " Make the same amount and I promise to buy more". AND if they can not believe stement # 2 then why could they believe statement #1 !

Superfriend I get your point and trust me I understand but my point is why on earth would you tell a company yes I want to pay over double for this just cause you have to make less? I mean if everyone who says yes to a $50 was doubled would that be enough to produce the packs at $25 ???? And if so then I would buy one when I was not willing to at $50 and then everyone who has $50 to burn can buy 2 Come one guys seriously

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:12 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

PBateman wrote:
You guys are missing my point ! Why would I say "Yes Mattel I want these but make less and charge me more !" Why not say " Make the same amount and I promise to buy more". AND if they can not believe stement # 2 then why could they believe statement #1 !

Superfriend I get your point and trust me I understand but my point is why on earth would you tell a company yes I want to pay over double for this just cause you have to make less? I mean if everyone who says yes to a $50 was doubled would that be enough to produce the packs at $25 ???? And if so then I would buy one when I was not willing to at $50 and then everyone who has $50 to burn can buy 2 Come one guys seriously

Ok. I think maybe I get it this time. You're saying:

People willing to pay $50 for 1 would buy 2 for $25 which still equals $50 in the end and they're still ending up with the figures they want (although 2 of each)
Other people not willing to pay $50 but would be fine paying $25 just to get 1 of each pack do so and would be satisfied as well.
The idea perhaps being that the $50 crowd pays for the production run plus a profit for Mattel and the $25 crowd is gravy on top.

It's messy lol but I think I get what your trying to say. Interesting concept. Definitely easier said than done for many reasons though. Am I on the right track here?

On a side note, just because some people are willing to pay $50 a pack doesn't mean they'd mind paying less. I know some people seemed to just jump at these packs even at $50 each but I'm pretty sure most would be fine with a price cut. That choice just isn't on table (currently).

Last edited by whakojacko1976 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:49 pm 
Cold-cast

Let's not forget that these figures have already been released -- on Ebay.

For me, I'm grateful that Mattel is attempting to give me a chance to purchase the remaining JLU. I'm a completist when it comes to JLU, and I can't afford $1,000 (or more) per figure. It's really that simple for me. I'm not wild about the $50 price tag, but I'll gladly pay it to have a complete collection.

How much do you think people would pay if Kenner would have offered die hard fans a chance at the unproduced Super Powers wave 4? I think the vast majority of the JLU superfans are all for this. I'm cautiously optimistic that Mattel will go forward with the plan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 am 
shirtless hugger

Howard, I think your a good guy but I couldn't help but read the title of this thread and think of Charlie Sheen and "DUH, WINNING!" lol Sorry man but it gave me a good chuckle!

Maybe I'm twisted but sometimes I enjoy reading the drama on this board. It's like my own personal toy soap opera to read during lunch. The back and forth in the thread has been some of the most entertaining yet here at AFI.

Or maybe it's better to compare AFI to the WWF, no real fighting but loads of smack talk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:32 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

PBateman wrote:

Sounds to me like you want me to pony up more money so you can end up saving some yourself?

Umm... yeah... ok ... :roll:
What do I then do with all my dupes that I bought just to lower your price? Sell them on eBay? Maybe, along with all the other people that bought multiples under your agenda. Which means I most likely won't make back my initial investment.

But that's ok, because you got your 1 set (since that is all you want), for a lower payment plan.

Doesn't exactly sound all that sensical and on the up-and-up when put in those terms does it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:05 am 
shirtless hugger

The people who want one set would still only buy one set, at up to the proposed $50 per set, regardless of whether the production was increased and the price per pack was lowered.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:18 am 
serves the Otter

Considering there's another thread about the current realistic status of JLU and the proposed $50 price for the remaining 3-packs, can we just close this useless thread? Howard can continue to post his Sheen-esque rants in that thread.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:32 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

PBateman wrote:

How is that any different then they are doing it now? Packs are in the $20-30 range and they are not making the $$ so I fail to see how staying with the status quo is good? Obviously it isn't working out for them or they are just trying to bleed more $$ out of a fanatical group of fans with alot of passion for a line to complete it.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next