Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:59 pm 
User avatar
Loose, Missing Package
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10676
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
Glenn2000 wrote:
If you check, Mattel HAS put out a Barbie in a wheelchair and regularly does special interest dolls including different career choices such as a librarian. What it would do is continue the push towards curing cancer in women.


That wasn't "Barbie" in the wheelchair, though, that was Barbie's friend "Becky". I can see Mattel putting out a cancer awareness Barbie with pink ribbons printed on the box but I just don't see them putting out a version of their most iconic brand that's going to be perceived as being ill even if the point is to raise awareness. Barbie is the symbol of Mattel and releasing a Barbie with no hair would be like Disney okaying a Mickey Mouse toy that has no ears. The only way I can see Mattel releasing a bald Barbie would be if it were a character doll, for example a Lt. Ilya from Star Trek: The Motion Picture or Moon Dragon from Marvel Comics. From what I see reading retail packaging is that very few of the cancer research items make donations based on actual retail sales, the money is already donated no matter how well the product sells.

As an alternative to a bald Barbie, I would suggest the new Monster High Create-a-Monster packs (the sets are very new, showing up early for the January resets). The starter pack contains a torso, wig, shows and two outfits and sets of body parts to mix-and-match for girls to create their own unique monster. The heads that come in the packs are bald with only a very small slot to attach the wig. Considering that the theme behind Monster High is that it's cool to be unique and that "freak is chic" actually seems more attuned to helping little girls feel more confident in their looks than Barbie would.

(found a video review that will give you a better idea of how the sets work)



Just my two cents.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:07 am 
User avatar
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8707
Location: Rochester, NY
Not that I'm trying to shoot down your idea, and this is more the "devil's advocate" thing than anything else but ...

you are suggesting that young girls with cancer can create a "monster" to be "just like them"?

Seems to me like that would be more of a marketing backfire than a Bald Barbie would be.

_________________
#AdultsCollect


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:14 am 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
Allow me to rephrase myself... because Jim made a good point... when I say "Barbie" I mean EVERYONE... from Becky to midge to everyone under the logo... I can see them creating 'Nancy' Barbie's friend who deals with Cancer... it is not beyond the company to do this even for a limited run.

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:09 am 
User avatar
Loose, Missing Package
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10676
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Not that I'm trying to shoot down your idea, and this is more the "devil's advocate" thing than anything else but ...

you are suggesting that young girls with cancer can create a "monster" to be "just like them"?

Seems to me like that would be more of a marketing backfire than a Bald Barbie would be.


I see your point, Ben, and you're probably right. Though I do believe the kids would be the ones to "get it" before the average adult would.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:59 pm 
User avatar
Daniel Pickett
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8266
Location: So Cal
Saw this article about this today on yahoo finance.

Seems like the idea is getting some traction

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/After-can ... 1.html?x=0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:04 am 
User avatar
proverbial old fart
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3210
Thanks for the link, Daniel. That was some good news.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:21 am 
User avatar
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8707
Location: Rochester, NY
I'm heading back to facebook to "like" the group.

_________________
#AdultsCollect


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:29 am 
User avatar
proverbial old fart
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3210
Just did so myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:47 am 
User avatar
Killer Moth Fanatic
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:05 am
Posts: 1320
Location: New York City
MGA Entertainment announced a couple of weeks ago that it will make hairless versions of its Bratz and Moxie Girlz dolls.

http://www.mgae.com/downloads/pressrele ... _Final.pdf

I think it got lost in all the Toy Fair news. Some proceeds from sales of the dolls will go to cancer research.

Does anyone know whether any other toy company modified or altered its product for charity?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:21 am 
Still ahead of Mudd
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6283
Location: Shelbyville, KY
Jim_Abell wrote:
Though I do believe the kids would be the ones to "get it" .



Regretably, not before the whack a do overprotective moms would form a boycott and law suit for Mattel calling their children monsters (and of course being the cause for all the failures in their daughters lives going forward)... :roll:

_________________
Fastest know derailer of threads in the know universe...expanded or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:45 am 
User avatar
Loose, Missing Package
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10676
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
GregNYC wrote:
MGA Entertainment announced a couple of weeks ago that it will make hairless versions of its Bratz and Moxie Girlz dolls.


Can't think of any others that have (at least not the big guns), though the conspiricist in me says that the *ONLY* reason that MGA is doing this is to make Mattel look bad because they know that there is no way that Mattel will release a bald (specifically) Barbie.



stewbacca wrote:
Jim_Abell wrote:
Though I do believe the kids would be the ones to "get it" .



Regretably, not before the whack a do overprotective moms would form a boycott and law suit for Mattel calling their children monsters (and of course being the cause for all the failures in their daughters lives going forward)... :roll:


Yep...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:49 am 
User avatar
Killer Moth Fanatic
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:05 am
Posts: 1320
Location: New York City
Jim_Abell wrote:
GregNYC wrote:
MGA Entertainment announced a couple of weeks ago that it will make hairless versions of its Bratz and Moxie Girlz dolls.


Can't think of any others that have (at least not the big guns), though the conspiricist in me says that the *ONLY* reason that MGA is doing this is to make Mattel look bad because they know that there is no way that Mattel will release a bald (specifically) Barbie.


That was my thought, too. It's a big risk if girls balk at hairless dolls.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:58 am 
User avatar
proverbial old fart
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3210
I don't know if it would be a bald "Barbie." It could be "Barbie's Friend...." Just like they did a couple of years ago with the wheelchair bound doll.

And, most of these dolls are bought by collectors, not for kids.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am 
User avatar
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8707
Location: Rochester, NY
Plus, its tied to a limited release for a very specific purpose. It isn't "Cancer Patient" Barbie just mass packed and sitting on Target shelves with every other doll.

This is an "event" release for a charitable cause.
Its a "feel good" news blurb.
It (should be) good PR.

Surprised there is even a debate about whether or not it "should" be done.

_________________
#AdultsCollect


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No Hair Barbie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:24 am 
User avatar
proverbial old fart
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3210
bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Plus, its tied to a limited release for a very specific purpose. It isn't "Cancer Patient" Barbie just mass packed and sitting on Target shelves with every other doll.

This is an "event" release for a charitable cause.
Its a "feel good" news blurb.
It (should be) good PR.

Surprised there is even a debate about whether or not it "should" be done.



Exactly...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: