Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DCUC Wave 20 on eBay!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:03 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Two waves into what without a villain? All Stars has Larfleeze and Superboy Prime.

And I have my doubts about Marvel Legends so far. Everyone expects them to be so much cheaper than the DC offerings and I don't think it's going to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:22 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I don't care it they're cheaper than DCUC or not. I absolutely love Marvel Legends, and I've but waiting for what seems like forever for them to come back. If it wasn't for the DCIE sub, next year they'd probably be getting all of my money for figures in that scale.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:27 pm 
5th Horseman

LOL.... He's a "Lovable Scad." But truthfully, no, he's not really a villain. He is out for himself, sometimes that benefits the heroes- sometimes the villains. He does still technically operate for the Guardians as Agent Orange.

But for argument's sake... Ok... A 4th tier villain who' name, in terms of "Customer Awareness", might as well be in a foreign language on a Target peg. Say next to something like "Mirror Master" or "Bizzaro" (In his silver age chiseled face).

And Superboy Prime and DarkSuperGirl are only villains to those who have read the comics. To anyone else... it's Superboy with Armor, and Supergirl with a Hot Topic gift card.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:37 pm 
Aspires to be #1

AnimateTed wrote:
LOL.... He's a "Lovable Scad." But truthfully, no, he's not really a villain. He is out for himself, sometimes that benefits the heroes- sometimes the villains. He does still technically operate for the Guardians as Agent Orange.

But for argument's sake... Ok... A 4th tier villain who' name, in terms of "Customer Awareness", might as well be in a foreign language on a Target peg. Say next to something like "Mirror Master" or "Bizzaro" (In his silver age chiseled face).

And Superboy Prime and DarkSuperGirl are only villains to those who have read the comics. To anyone else... it's Superboy with Armor, and Supergirl with a Hot Topic gift card.

Alright, but getting villains is a collectors concern isn't it? So they're still villains and I forgot about Supergirl, so that's three!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:39 pm 

I'll give you that about Superboy and Supergirl. But that goes both ways. The average consumer that's not gonna know the difference between these Supes and any other, is not going to care that there are no villains in these assortments. This is our axe to grind, not Mattel's purported target audience.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:52 pm 
Variant Head

Problem is you got no CNC piece Mattel so I dont need a lazt repaint Supergirl. Also 2 waves deep and nothing on the SP Penguin? Its the Penguin, BATMAN! as Ricky from Trailer Park Boys would say "Its not rocket appliances".........

I mean really Mattel I want to be happy to grab these on sale but no. Your offerings are weak and you elimated alot of people needs to buy these when you dropped the cnc. If you had at very least given me wings and matte black Batman Beyond (retaining all wave 4 features,neck ball joint and rocker ankles) I would have gladly bought at least one figure from the first wave.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:05 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

AnimateTed wrote:
... and Supergirl with a Hot Topic gift card.

That almost made me do a spit-take!

(and it makes me glad I didn't spend the time making that super-easy custom and that Mattel is going with this instead of creating a Supergirl costume based off the baby blue and pink Supergirl merchandise that's out there. That said, I still want all three silver-age Supergirls, the post-Crisis Matrix - with and without the flaming wings - and the DCnU version...)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:17 pm 
5th Horseman

alcinde4 wrote:
I'll give you that about Superboy and Supergirl. But that goes both ways. The average consumer that's not gonna know the difference between these Supes and any other, is not going to care that there are no villains in these assortments. This is our axe to grind, not Mattel's purported target audience.

Oh but it IS! Think about the children... all these weird versions of heroes and no "Bad Guys." This whole endeavor is a mess. If it really is a "collectors" line, then make it what the collectors want. If its a "Retail Line" designed to appeal to moms and kids then make it that! Atrocitus is THE villain in the new GL animated series that will be airing when this line hits. Is HE hanging from the pegs so that kids will recognize him? Nope. Larfleeze is. With 0 recognition outside we folk.

I feel like these first two waves, and this last wave of DCUC was slapped together in a hurry when DC threw Mattel a curve ball. I also think that the retail exclusives for WalMart and TRU have backfired and that those boxes have lost interest in this scale and this line. So Mattel had to do some quick thinking to appease their masters. And NewsFlash - NONE of their masters are the collector consumers. We are very low on their thought list.

I also think there was a lot of pressure to get SOMETHING out quickly. And thats what we got. I do hope that there will be some thought into the waves to come, but I gotta tell ya, unless these 1st two waves are REALLY small orders - we're going to be seeing Larfleeze for years to come., which will cause this whole rigermaroll to collapse. I called that DCUC would be dead 2 waves after the Rainbow lanterns. Not only was I right about DCUC dying, I had it down to the number of waves we'd get after it thunked onto shelves.

I;'m just saying the message and offerings are muddied. Nothing is clear and the brand mission is all over the map. That does not a successful line make. We all love this. I have every single figure - including variants. And for the most part, I've been really pleased. I'm one of those guys that likes having a Kamandi figure (even though I have no logical place to display him). But at least that line's mission was to pull for all corners of the DCU for collectors. It lasted a hellofa great run, churning out WAY more figures than Marvel Legends!

But the future is iffy at best. There are ways to hit both kids and collectors. Just look at the first wave of the new Marvel Legends. Theres a Ghost Rider (movie coming out - NEW comic look), Steve Rogers (movie just came out), Thor (Movie just came out - NEW look) Hope Summers (total fan bait) Iron Man and a variant Iron Man (for the kiddies) Klaw and Constrictor (for the classic nerds) I mean really... something for EVERYONE!

I'm not saying it's perfect. But the thought that went into that speaks VOLUMES compared to ... Flashpoint Plastic Man, Batman Beyond (straight up rerelease), Superboy Prime (Great figure for probably 300 people) and Larfleeze (great character 2 years after his prime). It's just so underwhelming.

I'm a die hard - I'll buy everything... but I have legitimate concerns over the rationale behind these offerings. Thats all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:48 pm 

Ted, I don't have much more to add, other than I completely agree with you. I'm glad I've always been a cherry picker with the DCUC line (with the obvious exception being the sub). Some of the choices have been laughable, as they don't appeal to collectors or moms and casual shoppers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:54 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Yeah... I know it's been said but this retail line and the sub seem to be sort of flipped... I mean Atrocticus is in the suba long with Poison Ivy... you would think they would be retail.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:14 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I don't know if there's really any reason to worry or not... We can discuss this into the ground and never really come to a good solution, let's face it, most of the second tier characters have been done, too, and I don't want to see the line become a costume pagent like Marvel Legends was for Wolverine or Iron Man for the big guns. I admit that my observation is really limited by the fact that only two stores carry DCUC locally and I have to make a 25-30 mile trip to Louisville to have any real options. The thing
I have noticed is that some stores are stuck on some waves but other stores are stuck with a different batch of pegwarmers. Rainbow lanterns stuck in some stores, wave 16 in others and wave 14 in others... there seems to be little rhyme or reason why some figures stick around in some stores but move in others...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:41 am 
categorically opposed

Van Statten wrote:
Yeah... I know it's been said but this retail line and the sub seem to be sort of flipped... I mean Atrocticus is in the suba long with Poison Ivy... you would think they would be retail.

It's also been said that the figures shown thus far were probably planned for DCUC waves 21-22. The reason Atrocitus is in the sub is because he was far enough along in sculpt to show at SDCC to get the line off the ground. Poison Ivy wasn't included until people started demanding that more characters be revealed; in fact, she was stated at SDCC as a logical inclusion in the Batman Legacy line. It's pretty clear they threw her in the mix because they wanted more people to sign up for the sub. Both Atrocitus and Poison Ivy are highly fan-demanded across the board, and that demand would likely translate into additional sub sales.

PBateman wrote:
Problem is you got no CNC piece Mattel so I dont need a lazt repaint Supergirl. Also 2 waves deep and nothing on the SP Penguin? Its the Penguin, BATMAN! as Ricky from Trailer Park Boys would say "Its not rocket appliances".........

It's already been said that he's been planned for a three-pack. Maybe wait until Toy Fair - you know, when everyone else does their reveals.

We were ten waves deep in DCUC before we saw anything on the Joker. It's the Joker, BATMAN!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:56 am 
Aspires to be #1

To be fair, I don't think DCUC ended because of the rainbow lantern wave. It ended because DC decided to reboot everything. If it was still the same old DC, then we'd still have new waves of DCUC coming.

And the Atroticus/Larfleeze argument is pretty obvious to me. They wanted to sell us the sub, possibly because they knew what they could not do at retail, and they made some choices to switch more popular characters to the sub. Besides, nothing will ever peg warm as much as Power Girl did. I can go to a Walmart about 10 min from my place and get 26 of them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:26 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I can understand that explanation, really but it still doesn't sit well with me. I mean the way you make it sound is that makes it all okay?

I try not to bash the company simply because they have been around a long time and is probably one of the biggest if not the biggest (running neck and neck with Hasbro) in the world. So they must be doing something right. But when I was reading all the hubbub about the subscription I was under the impression that DCUC was dead at retail, kaput and gone. Then they unveil a retooled line... renamed and reconfigured (less figures, no C-n-C piece). At that point if I bought a subscription I wouldn't help but feel a bit coerced.

As interesting as the New 52 theory is for the end of the DCUC line... I also don't buy that simply because two Waves in and it is extremely New 52 lite. Eight figures, only two from the New 52... technically you could argue three.

And I've read that about possibly being from future waves and lumped into the subscription at the last minute but everything I've read it's just an assumption. A highly good thought out assumption but still just an assumption unless I missed anything.

I just don't like it. It all seems like bad business to me, sure it makes money for them and I don't want to debate business models but the customer should never feel cheated and I can't help but feel that way.

I'm not bitching... I'm still gonna buy their figures, so I figure I can voice my disdain for all this. But I feel kicked in the teeth and at this point they might as well release Atrocticus in a future wave and kick out the remaining teeth I have left.

The Waves are fine to be honest, just the selection for the subscription is what I don't like. I wasn't there at the ground floor so this may have been said already but that subscription... was it thrown together at the last minute? Did they not have time to plan one?

Eh, I'm done ranting I have my coffee in hand, I'm good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:20 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Van Statten wrote:
I wasn't there at the ground floor so this may have been said already but that subscription... was it thrown together at the last minute? Did they not have time to plan one?

Yes, that's been stated by Mattel. That's why the sub is starting in April instead of January and I'm guessing it's also why they tried so hard to get that minimum number and finally agreed to give it a shot anyway. I also think they may have picked the sub figures more because the Horsemen had them ready to be shown at SDCC than any other reason.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next