Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Should I rebuild my JLU Collection?
Poll ended at Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:01 pm
Go for it, Dude!! 64%  64%  [ 36 ]
Let it go, man. Let it go... 36%  36%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 56
 Post subject: Final Decision on JLU: Yes or No... You Decide!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:01 pm 
5th Horseman

Okay, so with recent news that JLU fans will be getting some "good news" later, I'm really considering going full-throttle back into the collection. As some of you know, I sold off my entire collection (in a marital/financial panic), which was a knee-jerk reaction that even the Mrs. was baffled by. Not sure what I was thinking, but it was over 6 months ago, and I'm still regretting it. If I haven't gotten over it yet, I'm unsure whether or not to plug that gaping hole in my collection or fill it with something else. I don't need EVERYTHING. I'd say I could skip maybe 10-15% of what's out there. I've managed to re-aquire a handful of figures, but I don't know if I should continue.

Rebuilding would definitely be a long road to hoe. I put a lot of time and money into the collection I had and JLU just gets more and more expensive. Ridiculously expensive!! JLU figures are cheaply made and the time and money spent hunting them down could be spent building other collections. But... there's that yearning to rebuild my it all from the ground up. JLU was a huge milestone for the DC Universe and I'd love to have a plastic representation of it. I love the style and I loved the show. Although the figures are kind of chintzy, I love the simplicity of them. I've reached a standstill... my pros and cons are fairly balanced. So, since I'm having such a tough time deciding, I'm just going to put it to a vote and let you guys help me make my final decision.

Many of us have had our lives taken over by JLU. It's a love-hate relationship, so I welcome comments and conversation on the subject.

Remember, you're making a serious decision that will forever impact my collection. The fate of my DC Universe is in your hands, so don't take this duty lightly!!

Cheers!
-J

Last edited by HalJordanist on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Final Decision on JLU: Yes or No... You Decide!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:08 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Do eeeeet! I want to see someone loose their mind trying to get back what they got rid of before... I did that with my Doctor Who figures two years ago... I nearly went insane trying to build my collection back up and it's rocking but... in the back of mind I keep wondering... how much better it could be if I kept those few pieces...

So I would love to see a chronicle of one man's decent into madness... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:23 pm 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

I regret nothing.

I competed my collection with the kind and helpful people here, and
I will do my best to help you rebuild if you want. Just give me a PM.

AFi Positive Feedback: +198

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:40 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Dude, I'd say let it go. I love my JLU collection. I have all the figures in the entire collection. It's taken me 10 years to complete this collection. I could not imagine having to start from scratch.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:52 pm 
Former King of Posts

Wait six months and see if there really is any big news.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:55 pm 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Krypton1976 wrote:
Dude, I'd say let it go.

I could get him 90% caught up in a month, easy.

AFi Positive Feedback: +198

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:43 pm 
serves the Otter

superfriend wrote:

This.

How you are currently feeling is due to JLU leaving a void in your life. If JLU were your Ex, you would've already left 6 messages in her answering machine.

Just give yourself a chance to experience life without JLU. And if in six months, you still feel the same way... feel free to start tracking stuff down.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:38 am 
shirtless hugger

red Ricky wrote:
superfriend wrote:

This.

How you are currently feeling is due to JLU leaving a void in your life. If JLU were your Ex, you would've already left 6 messages in her answering machine.

Just give yourself a chance to experience life without JLU. And if in six months, you still feel the same way... feel free to start tracking stuff down.

Facebook "LIKE"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:35 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

If you are thinking about it, you just missed out on some pretty sick sales on Matty.

And it really wouldn't be very difficult to get caught up, especially if you don't mind loose figures.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:36 pm 
Collector Inspector

I say go for it and enjoy the thrill of the hunt once again! At this point, it's all eBay, trades with otehr fans, random internet stores or serendipity. This will be a much less frustrating hunt without having to check the shelves at Target any more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:29 am 
PVC

I thought something was (re)posted in another thread a week or three ago that the JLU "news" we had been told was coming was the Matty JLU sale or some such. I'm not for sure but I think I remember something like that. I seem to think there was at least some news about the "news". Somebody else might remember the post I'm misinterpreting or misremembering if this isn't the case. It might have been from an Ask Matty, but I just don't remember for sure.

JLU is my first action figure collection so I don't really know how prices tend to trend over time with a "dying" line. For whatever reason I'm expecting prices on the secondary market to drop signifigantly six months to a year (if not sooner) after everything has played out, the line truly ends and people move on to other things. If you feel that your collecting experience jibes with this hypothesis you might be well served to wait a while and then scoop up most of the line on the cheap, assuming you can bear the wait. At least some of my sense that this drop in prices will occur though probably stems from my experiences with Collectable Card Games, which I realize isn't exactly analygis to toy collecting. Probably apples and oranges, but probably not apples and asparagus either, so take this for whatever you think it is worth.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:18 am 
Resin

If you enjoyed collecting it the first time, and you know exactly what you want and don't want this time around, go for it. Use the resources here like the swap meet to help you out in your search. Plain and simple, this is for your enjoyment alone, so do what makes you happy...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

wait it out a bit...

If the "final packs" come to pass, then jump in. If not, you'll be sitting pretty as is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:55 pm 
Resin

I voted for you to go for it buuuuuuut...Now that I think about it Im still missing a figure here and there and if you get back into collecting that means I, potentially, could be in competition with you for these figures and thats no good lol But if you get back in that also means you could be buying the "new" unreleased figures when they are produced and thus add to total sales which could mean more new figures...Damnit man Im on the fence! ;)

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:23 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I think you could get a few here and there that are REALLY important to you, but I think overall... you should let it go. At least for now, anyway. I don't think I can handle the stress of you building your JLU collection again!

Either way, you know I will support you... but you asked, so I answered.

Wait a few more months and see if you still feel this way. I know a big reason you're questioning your decision is because you've been having a bit of a dry spell with toys. Wait it out... :mrgreen: