Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU is officially dead. (for now)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:40 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

tuning4k wrote:
Hell, bring back Kenner's Super Powers if you're going to bring back a defunct toy line!

Action features are so 1980s! :lol:

On a serious question, wasn't that what the 6" DC Universe Classics line was suppose to be?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 pm 
categorically opposed

Van Statten wrote:
BFantana wrote:
I see facts and factoids and real INFO in Rickys posts...I see nothing but opinions with not much backing (or verrry little) in Ians. If this were a debate, which its quickly becoming, guess whos getting the points?

I don't know about facts... Ricky does have a well thought out and structured opinion backed by passion and love for the line. But it's just a well worded and strong opinion to me.

Yep.

Wouldn't it be wild if they did do a DC Nation line and then - just go with me on this - included characters that were actually featured on DC Nation? And even maybe...I don't know...looked like the animation?

Nah. It's too crazy. No one wants in-show characters.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:50 pm 
Collector Inspector

Van Statten wrote:
On a serious question, wasn't that what the 6" DC Universe Classics line was suppose to be?

Yeah, but it's not the same as getting the classic scultps with super power action :) And those 6 inch giants will never fit in my Hall of Justice playset :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:52 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

tuning4k wrote:
Yeah, but it's not the same as getting the classic scultps with super power action :) And those 6 inch giants will never fit in my Hall of Justice playset :(

Oddly enough I have debated buying one and just using it as an open backdrop. Force Perspective -nods-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:42 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

MoMoney wrote:
Wouldn't it be wild if they did do a DC Nation line and then - just go with me on this - included characters that were actually featured on DC Nation? And even maybe...I don't know...looked like the animation?

If they did it means Jim has a shot at getting Amethyst--

and that means he will kill you all to make it happen (or at least his email hitman will)-- and if that makes no sense- you need to get out of the Mattel forum every once in a while..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:57 pm 
shirtless hugger

MoMoney wrote:

I think Ricky's idea to consolidate JLU under the DC Nation banner stems from the idea that the DC Nation block will feature multiple styles of animation, so why not have a toy line that does so as well? That line of thinking is not that far out there.

Of course, if there was a DC Nation line, I would expect figures based of all the cartoons in their respective styles.

Not that any of this will happen. Mattel seems unwilling to embrace any non-Batman animation (Young Justice notwithstanding, but then, Batman's in that.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:31 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I like how this is Rickys idea now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:33 pm 
Brand Manager

ian5555 wrote:
What class is dismissed? If you mean "How to go bankrupt in 3 easy steps as a company" then yeah grats on that class. Good luck selling that idea.

How the hell can Mattel go bankrupt from pitching a line?

Mmmm... Let's imagine it, shall we:

It's a tuesday afternoon and Scott picks up the phone, and calls the Lead Purchasing Agent for Target's Toy Department...

Toy Guru: "Steve, how are you! It's me... T.G. Hey, I'm calling because we are thinking of putting together a DC Nation toy line to coincide with Cartoon Network's new shows. Listen, it's going to have a little bit of everything. JLU for the Collectors... Green Lantern for the kids... But not too much Green Lantern, right??? And hey... Maybe we'll put some Teen Titans in there for the Girls! What do you say?

Steve the Target P.A.: "I don't know... You kinda burned me with that Green Lantern stuff."

Toy Guru: "Oh, come on Steve. Forget about Green Lantern. You think you had it bad? Look at me! I still have 3 Waves of Movie Masters Green Lantern stuff and an incomplete Parallax!!! Do you think I'm worried??? Forgetaboutit!!!"

Steve the Target P.A.: "Okay... I guess. Can you give me an exclusive?"

Toy Guru: "Sure, why not. Do you want Atrocitus? Mongul? I can give you Mongul!!!"

Steve the Target P.A.: "Cool!!! Let me check with my Boss and I'll call you back."

Toyguru (salivating) looks at a Big Red Button sitting on a corner near the edge of his desk. A label reads "Press to turn Machines On!"

Then suddenly... Toy Guru's boss walks in!!! He's all flustered and anxious!!! He asks:

T.G.'s Boss: "I just got an e-mail from Target!!! DID YOU PITCH THEM A LINE???"

Toy Guru: "Yes. Yes, I did! Why? Did they like it?"

T.G.'s Boss: "MY GOD! You crazy, stupid, sumabeach! Don't you know??? We get charged a trillion dollars every time we make an unsuccessful pitch! You boogledong! You've doomed us all! We are bankrupt because of you!!!"

Okay. I guess I see your point.

ian5555 wrote:
So the figures are done huh?

Last time I checked. All "tool'd" and ready to go. All T.G. needs is a big enough order to "turn the machines on."

ian5555 wrote:
They are going to re-brand to do what 9 figures? LOL seriously man, you need to step back and really think about what you are suggesting.

14 figures. Closer to 16, maybe more, if you count a couple of higly demanded figures like Volcana and Aquaman. Which, by the way, adds up in terms of new figures to 3 waves and 2 two-packs of Young Justice merchandise. So technically, you could say that when it comes to the animated lines... in 2011, Mattel had as many figures "unproduced" as they had "produced'.

ian5555 wrote:
There are reasons why companies re-brand and this is not one of them.

Please, pray tell... enlighten me! What are "the right reasons" for re-branding?

ian5555 wrote:
So what this class has taught us is that any failed toy line just needs to re-brand and they are magically successful.

They are "magically successful" from the Manufacturers point of view. For instance...

Iron Man The Armored Avenger: A rebranding of Iron Man 2 figures. Succeeds in getting the last two Waves of Iron Man 2 figures to retail. 4 new figures, 2 repaints and 2 re-issues; 8 figures total. A win for Hasbro.

Batman Legacy 2-packs: A rebranding of Dark Knight Movie Masters. Succeeds in getting Prototype Batman, Lt. Gordon and Police Honor Guard Joker to retail. Two re-issues and two new figures. A win for Mattel.

And if you want to get technical, you could say that the DC Universe All Star series is a rebranding of the DC Universe Classics line. Which, after 20 waves and many ups & downs, needed a shot in the arm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:11 pm 
my tummy itches

Alright. I have every thing several things to say. First I am sorry for offending the 5 owners of the save the jlu Facebook page. It was rude and uncalled for. So I apologize and like the adults we are let's put it behind us. Second hey Ricky I took a segment of your idea and sent it to toy guru. He said it was a great idea and this is the link: http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve/fo ... 2921014937 Third, TG keeps referring to the 2011 packs and singles as a test. Well notice the villains sell better ( toyman will obviously be the best selling pack of the 3 packs ) :). We got all heroes last year. The seven pack and stripe in my opinion were the best and the convention packs. Anyway, Mattel has spent so much time and money on this line. They just purposely scared us to get anxious and spread the word on our adrenaline high. Cheers - kalibak :mrgreen: :twisted:

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:16 pm 
my tummy itches

Sorry. When I said only heroes last year I made a mistake I did not count the convention 3 packs with angle man, heatwave , evil star and killer frost. No villains other than that.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:45 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
Sorry. When I said only heroes last year I made a mistake I did not count the convention 3 packs with angle man, heatwave , evil star and killer frost. No villains other than that.

...and Goldface.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:08 pm 
my tummy itches

whakojacko1976 wrote:
Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:

...and Goldface.

And Goldface! He was an awesome figure! I wish I grabbed the heatwave pack but I'm happy wig the other 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

I think the best plan of attack now is to convince Mattel to let DCDirect have the JLU licence and to convince DCDirect that they want it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:56 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
We can try subliminal messaging, it would probably work. Another thing we could do is just wave our hands in front of their faces and say: "These are the figures you want to make." The latter would probably work the best. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I think the conversation would go more like this.

T.G.- Hey, Steve we got an idea to do a DC Nation line to that will combine JLU, GL Animated and possibly Teen Titans all into one line.

Steve the Target P.A.- Great, how will this line sell to children? The Green Lantern and JLU/DC Universe Fan Collection lines BOTH really burned us since the kids weren't interested in them. Are planning a Justice League cartoon again so we can get the kids on board with this?

T.G.- Uhhh, well No, there are a couple hundred JLU collectors that want about 16 or so figures and this is our way of getting characters like Mongul and Vandal Savage to them.

Steve the Target P.A. - Mongul? Vandal Savage? Never heard of them. Do kids like them? Are they going to be main characters in the cartoon?

T.G.- Uhh not exactly, they were in that cartoon from 2003 or so...

*click*

T.G. - Uhh hello? Steve you there?

Like Mo Money said they already re-branded JLU, it's called DC Universe Fan Collection and we all saw how that worked out don't we? No harm in trying I guess though but I still think there is no way it happens. I just do not see TG pitching to his bosses that they do this at least not if he likes his job very much. The first question his boss asks is "Why should we re-brand a line that isn't very profitable and has a very small customer base?" Game over, here's your pink slip.......

Keep up the fight though. You never know. It's kept JLU alive for years cause of it I guess.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by ian5555 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next