Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU is officially dead. (for now)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:08 pm 
Resin

BlackCanary wrote:
Scott did technically give us an out.... His post clearly states:
ToyGuru wrote:
]If fans want more JLU and are willing to pay premium prices please let us know. This is your chance!

I wonder what Scott has in mind? TV shows have been saved from cancellation through concerted fan campaigns - Chuck survives (actually "survived" since it is ending next week) thanks in part to fans buying Subway sandwiches. Jericho fans sent nuts. Arrested Development fans sent bananas.

Should JLU fans send Scott hundreds/thousands of Superman and Batman duplicates to show that we are still interested?

Now that, BlackCanary, is FREAKIN FANTASTIC! lol

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:34 pm 
my tummy itches

To even do that would cost them money that they could be using to mold, paint or produce new figures. To only the hardcore fans an awesome repaint of bman or sman would be okay.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:45 pm 
An Insider

When TG said 'we tried', I think what he meant was: 'we tried....to sell them at a premium price point.'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:52 pm 
Collector Inspector

The idea of them releasing some kind of all-purpose DC Animated Line at retail wouldn't work, because the mix of characters is too random. Sure, the GL show might be on the air, but that doesn't mean it's doing well with young kids (is it??) And from the JLU side of things, is that show even in reruns? It wasn't even aimed at kids, was it? I remember Timm saying it was more a show for their adult viewers from the B:TAS days...

So, much as I might like the notion, a "DCAU Leftover Line" won't happen.

We've seen toy companies sit on molds before, so this could go either way. It's just a matter of waiting it out. Matty might not have the response they want to go into production, but in a year, depending on how their bottom line goes, suddenly selling a couple of hundred JLU figures to make some bucks could be practical.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:48 pm 
active in the community

DisneyBoy wrote:
Sure, the GL show might be on the air, but that doesn't mean it's doing well with young kids (is it??)

It hasn't aired yet, other than a "sneak preview" of the first two episodes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:10 pm 
Resin

GLTAS is slated for this March, I believe, and theres some rumor floating around that The Hub is to air JLU this spring as well. Id love to see that but with The Hub being a subsidary of Hasbro and The Discovery Channel Im not sure how true the rumor is.

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:57 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

zaxilla2 wrote:
When TG said 'we tried', I think what he meant was: 'we tried....to sell them at a premium price point.'

Yeah, no $#!&.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:04 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

BFantana wrote:
GLTAS is slated for this March, I believe, and theres some rumor floating around that The Hub is to air JLU this spring as well. Id love to see that but with The Hub being a subsidary of Hasbro and The Discovery Channel Im not sure how true the rumor is.

It could be true. The Hub airs (aired?) The '60s Batman series. Mattel doesn't own the JLU tv series, Warner/DC does. Warner/DC may have a deal with Mattel, but they don't own Mattel, either. There shouldn't be a problem selling rights to air JLU reruns on The Hub. If JLU toys come back and kick the crap out of Marvel Universe, GI Joe, and Star Wars at retail somehow after that, they could rethink the decision to air the show, but I doubt that's a likely scenario.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:04 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I just find it annoying they held the most demanded characters until the end of the line. I mean yes we did get some craxy figures I never thought we would BUT I could have lived with out the Superfriends pack and would have gladly taken Toyman with 2 repaks instead.The Doom Patrol same thing would have been nice to get the future JLU instead of them. It just seems like Mattel killed this line I mean a 3 pack with Batman,correct colors 2-face and Maybe a Clockk King with hat would have nailed it ! One of the best selling 3 packs never rang in,the barf pack. THat pack never sat on store shelves around me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I have no delusions about this line. I honestly and truly do not believe that this line would have sold any differently if they released Mongul, Savage, and Toyman early on instead of the Superfriends pack... or the Waller pack... but I do agree with the principle idea that they shouldn't have kept back so many key players to the series. What exactly were they saving them for? If it's true that NONE of the packs sold that well on Matty, going all the way back to the first ones, then they should have been able to anticipate the demand drop off and released the more important characters. And yes, I realize Retail dropping them played a role, but they should have been able to see that coming too once YJ started airing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:11 am 
Knows his stuff

PBateman wrote:
I just find it annoying they held the most demanded characters until the end of the line. I mean yes we did get some craxy figures I never thought we would BUT I could have lived with out the Superfriends pack and would have gladly taken Toyman with 2 repaks instead.The Doom Patrol same thing would have been nice to get the future JLU instead of them. It just seems like Mattel killed this line I mean a 3 pack with Batman,correct colors 2-face and Maybe a Clockk King with hat would have nailed it ! One of the best selling 3 packs never rang in,the barf pack. THat pack never sat on store shelves around me.

Of all the missteps Mattel made with this line, the “save the good characters” tactic was undoubtedly the stupidest. Made about as much sense as screen doors on a submarine. The tactic was stupid in and of itself, and even stupider being that they never knew at any point in time if Target would continue to carry the line a year from that point. Every one of us saw the inevitable happening. They were holding back figures, as if they were going to run out of freaking DC characters.

Oh well. I don’ t have Toyman, but at least I have OMAC! [/sarcasm]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:21 am 
Aspires to be #1

When you look back at the line it's easy to see which figures probably should have been replaced with the figures we're missing now

Superfriends 3-pack (3 figures)

Doom Patrol (4 figures)

Eclipso 6-pack (6 figures)

That's 13 figures slots right there that could be easily replaced for me. I like the figures but my collection would feel a lot more complete with Vandal, Mongul, Toyman, Static and the others in place of these.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:30 am 
Knows his stuff

j1h15233 wrote:
I like the figures but my collection would feel a lot more complete with Vandal, Mongul, Toyman, Static and the others in place of these.

My thoughts exactly. Nothing against Apache Chief; I like the Superfriends and wish we could have had the Wonder Twins and Gleek, El Dorado, Black Manta, the Riddler, SF Toyman and Hot Pants Brainiac, IF the line continued, and AFTER a lot of other characters. But if you don't know if the line will even be around in six months, it may make just a little more sense to make Vandal Savage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:40 am 
Aspires to be #1

Just in case you haven't seen this, we've started another poll over at Custom Justice just to see if we could do any better than the original poll since TG and Mattel have placed such importance on it.

http://dchallofjustice.com/news/?p=12543

Stop by and vote. Who knows what could happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:47 am 
Wonderdog

I'm still just super-confused by all of TG's comments regarding this.
Going by what he's said in the past few months, Mattel now has a very solid idea of how big the online customer base is for JLU, because it's been extremely consistent through all the Matty sales.
An informal poll was done here because, as people have rightfully pointed out, this is sort of the online hub for JLU fans. The number of responses was pretty consistent with the number of responses other JLU polls have received. The great majority of fans responded that they would buy all 6, with even more people responding that they would buy some but not all. Again, the number of 'yes' votes seems pretty consistent with past polls.
So, given that Mattel now (finally) has a very good idea of what their customer base is, and given that the poll results here seem to be pretty consistent with that, I have to wonder... What exactly were they hoping to see that they didn't see?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next