Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: GL:TAS Hal Jordan & Atrocitus on Ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 am 
categorically opposed

Howard the Duck wrote:
And I apologize to those persons here on AFi who seem to take offense to my diatribes on a now regular basis.

It's just amusing (to me, anyway) that you want answers about everything (whether it is about why "sold out" doesn't mean "sold out"...why Target dropped JLU...why this and why that), and when you get a very clear and direct answer, you literally pick it apart in the name of some misguided definition of satire.

All because it wasn't the answer you wanted.

You didn't get the answer you wanted, so you made the decision to make fun of the response, instead. Hell, he even went beyond just saying "no" to GLTAS toys in 2012 give more insight, and that somehow became a negative? How is going into detail to give background and reaffirm things that anyone with half a brain already knows "high and mighty"? If he gave a general response that there was no product planned for 2012, I could see you going, "THEN WHAT ARE THE PROTOTYPES FOR?! HUH?! HUH?!" And then you referred to it as a tirade. Your posts are tirades. "Mattel's JLU Strategy Can EAT IT!" "SOLD OUT = SUCCESS."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:25 am 
serves the Otter

Captain Collector wrote:
There was nothing funny or satirical about your post. We should be thankful that Toyguru takes to time to address these issues personally.

Well, I thought it was okay. Bad timing; but okay. It kinda reminded me of SNL's Mr. Subliminal.

Besides... Shellhead was the one that interpreted it as: "Toy Guru: Don't post here anymore. It's not worth it."

I think that fanned the flames more than anything else.

That and personal grievances.
Captain Collector wrote:
And yes, they have every right to be dismayed when someone is selling their stolen property. You wouldn't like it either.

You know... there's plenty of people around here who pay top-dollar for (as you put it) Stolen Property. And Howard might not be one of them. At least, I don't think so. (He could be, but to me, he always comes across as too broke to even afford the castings of the Stolen Ebay Figures.) So you know... before the next witch hunt starts... if people, feel so strongly about factory prototypes and stolen figures on ebay... maybe we should focus our attention in the right direction. Start "being the change we want in the world" by evaluating our role in the Ebay Food Chain. Just sayin'...Man in the Mirror.

Not for you in particular, of course. I know you don't partake in those endeavors. But for us. The rest of us.

Man in the mirror, man.

Man in the mirror, highness of the horse and all that Jazz.

It's going to feel real good.

To make A Change.

Hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!

Na Na Na, Na Na Na, Na Na,

Na Nah

Oh Yeah!

Gonna Feel Real Good Now!

Yeah Yeah! Yeah Yeah!

Yeah Yeah!

Na Na Na, Na Na Na, Na Na,

Na Nah

Ooooh . . .

Stand Up And Lift Yourself, Now!

Man In The Mirror

Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!

Aaow!

Yeah-Make That Change

Gonna Make That Change . . .

Come On!

Man In The Mirror

You Know It!

You Know It!

You Know It!

You Know . . .

Change . . .

Make That Change.

Last edited by red Ricky on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:30 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

You forgot

Woo Woo Woo! You KNOW it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:32 am 
serves the Otter

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:02 pm 
Unbreakable

Aww you guys are quoting a Glee song... :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:57 pm 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

I stand by my comment, Red Ricky. Mattel has a right to be upset about factory leaks, end of story. They are not getting "high and mighty", it is THEIR property, and we have no inbred right to their stolen property, if they don't wish to sell it. Period.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:08 pm 
my tummy itches

Captain Collector wrote:
...and we have no inbred right to their stolen property, if they don't wish to sell it. Period.

Hey now...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:10 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Captain Collector wrote:
I stand by my comment, Red Ricky. Mattel has a right to be upset about factory leaks, end of story. They are not getting "high and mighty", it is THEIR property, and we have no inbred right to their stolen property, if they don't wish to sell it. Period.

Agreed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:33 pm 
serves the Otter

Captain Collector wrote:

Never claimed Mattel was the one getting "high and mighty". Kinda figured it was obvious that I was talking about those judging Howard for commenting on the very activity some fans around here engage in.

And I agree with you. We don't have any right to Mattel's stolen property. And that's why I don't sponsor such behaviour and/or reward it with my hard earned money.

Or at least I haven't so far. As a matter of fact, my main focus has been with providing Mattel with as many options as possible; so that they can give those unproduced figures, a proper release.

But hey, if you feel so strong about the issue of "lunchbox" factory figures...

Then by all means... Feel free to look around. Someone as smart as you shouldn't have a problem following the Ebay trail from Thief to Buyer to Caster to Seller to other Buyers. After all, we are all just a bunch of inbreds playing/paying our part; and links abound around here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:53 pm 

Trust me, I'm aware, and it's a talk I've had with other mods. And yes, I read it as Howard referring to Mattel being "High and Mighty" about stolen prototypes. I'm not advocating people do or do not bid on such items; i'm saying Mattel has a right to be upset about it, and we, as passionate collectors, don't always have a right to own such things. We're just going in circles about toys that aren't getting made, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:52 am 
5" Scale

MoMoney wrote:
It's just amusing (to me, anyway) that you want answers about everything (whether it is about why "sold out" doesn't mean "sold out"...why Target dropped JLU...why this and why that), and when you get a very clear and direct answer, you literally pick it apart in the name of some misguided definition of satire.

All because it wasn't the answer you wanted.

You didn't get the answer you wanted, so you made the decision to make fun of the response, instead. Hell, he even went beyond just saying "no" to GLTAS toys in 2012 give more insight, and that somehow became a negative? How is going into detail to give background and reaffirm things that anyone with half a brain already knows "high and mighty"? If he gave a general response that there was no product planned for 2012, I could see you going, "THEN WHAT ARE THE PROTOTYPES FOR?! HUH?! HUH?!" And then you referred to it as a tirade. Your posts are tirades. "Mattel's JLU Strategy Can EAT IT!" "SOLD OUT = SUCCESS."

This is my biggest issue with Howard's posts. He attacks ToyGuru relentlessly and then when he gets called on it he gives the old "Aw, shucks, I was only funnin'. Can't we all just get along?" non-apology apology. And then he goes right back to doing the same thing again. About the best thing I can say about the atrocious post in question is that at least he didn't start a new thread for it.

Howard completely lost me when he admitted in a recent post that it didn't matter what answers were given, he was going to complain no matter what. That was some unintentional and ironic honesty right there. It just showed he's not interested in a rational conversation or holding Mattel's feet to the fire but merely starting trouble. Frankly I'm astounded he hasn't been banned yet. But then again guapo's still here so I guess the banhammer threshold is pretty big.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:17 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

...Mattel can be upset about prototypes and test shots on ebay. They should be, really. red Ricky was accurate in saying that I couldn't afford to buy such things. My personal feeling on the matter is this: I personally don't wish to purchase them, simply because I want official versions. even if I was in the market. If I cannot buy it from a retailer or Mattel directly, and if it wasn't produced by Mattel, then it doesn't feel quite accurate or right to me to want them. Now, if other AFi members want them and buy them, I don't blame them. At all. That's a choice for them to make. I will say this, however. I would still be without a JLU GL Hal Jordan head if not for a fellow AFi member. For that, I am appreciative.

Ebay is very good at removing items that seemingly infringe upon copyrights and trademarks, epsecially when a company makes them enforce the issue. I remember back a few years ago when ToyGuru(I believe) said that Mattel was going to pursue those ebay sellers and prevent them from selling them. It never seemed to come to fruition, so I assumed(rightfully or mistakenly) that Mattel either dropped the issue or was unsuccessful in their efforts to prevent it.

Honestly, I took ToyGuru's statement as being a tad too...what's the right word...'Animated' regarding the GL Animated prototypes. I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to feel miffed about it. I'm saying that it seemed to be a little on the side of overkill. What's done was done, and adding it to the mix(to me anyway) seemed superfluous. All he really needed to address was the presence(or lack of) the GL Animated toys at Toy Fair this year.

While we're all at it, what's this talk of banning me? Really? I. Have. Opinions. And I let them be known. Just like anyone and everyone here on AFi. Agree or disagree, whatever. That's our prerogatives as individuals to make that distinction. I find it distressing that my name would be thrown into consideration for being banned. I have nothing but respect for any and all AFi'ers opinions. I'd think for one to be banned, they would have to break actual rules. Y'know, like posting outrageously obscene material, physically or verbally threatening someone's health, harassment via private message, spamming up the boards, hacking, and so on and so forth. I can say with 100% certainty that I have a knack for droning on and on and on and on and on...I am guilty of that. Back during the Great JLU GL Hal debacle, I was quite the vocal fan. I like to think that on some small level, I added to the voices that were heard by Mattel, which eventually gave us the closest thing we could get to having a JLU GL Hal. This is a great reason as to why I feel that opinions matter.

Disagree with me all you like. Agree with me, if you dare. Ban me for BEING OPINIONATED? That's sad. I'll drink the Kool-Aid of my own volition, and not just to agree wholeheartedly with Matty's omniscient and never-erring strategies. You all wait and see...when I go and post a comment about how SDCC 2012 will have convention-only goodies like Gleeks and Starros, I'll have someone else getting on my case for simply stating my annoyance at such a practice. But I can take that, because a differing or counter-opinion to my own is a welcome one. For me, anyway.

Mods, if EVER you feel that I am being utterly disruptive to AFi in general, or am breaking any rules, or doing anything that even comes close to warranting a banishment, then please by all means contact me personally via PM. I hope that my opinion matters around here, and that someone who is opinionated can be heard or dare I say, welcomed here on AFi.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:17 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Howard the Duck wrote:
...Mattel can be upset about prototypes and test shots on ebay. They should be, really. red Ricky was accurate in saying that I couldn't afford to buy such things. My personal feeling on the matter is this: I personally don't wish to purchase them, simply because I want official versions. even if I was in the market. If I cannot buy it from a retailer or Mattel directly, and if it wasn't produced by Mattel, then it doesn't feel quite accurate or right to me to want them. Now, if other AFi members want them and buy them, I don't blame them. At all. That's a choice for them to make. I will say this, however. I would still be without a JLU GL Hal Jordan head if not for a fellow AFi member. For that, I am appreciative.

Ebay is very good at removing items that seemingly infringe upon copyrights and trademarks, epsecially when a company makes them enforce the issue. I remember back a few years ago when ToyGuru(I believe) said that Mattel was going to pursue those ebay sellers and prevent them from selling them. It never seemed to come to fruition, so I assumed(rightfully or mistakenly) that Mattel either dropped the issue or was unsuccessful in their efforts to prevent it.

Honestly, I took ToyGuru's statement as being a tad too...what's the right word...'Animated' regarding the GL Animated prototypes. I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to feel miffed about it. I'm saying that it seemed to be a little on the side of overkill. What's done was done, and adding it to the mix(to me anyway) seemed superfluous. All he really needed to address was the presence(or lack of) the GL Animated toys at Toy Fair this year.

While we're all at it, what's this talk of banning me? Really? I. Have. Opinions. And I let them be known. Just like anyone and everyone here on AFi. Agree or disagree, whatever. That's our prerogatives as individuals to make that distinction. I find it distressing that my name would be thrown into consideration for being banned. I have nothing but respect for any and all AFi'ers opinions. I'd think for one to be banned, they would have to break actual rules. Y'know, like posting outrageously obscene material, physically or verbally threatening someone's health, harassment via private message, spamming up the boards, hacking, and so on and so forth. I can say with 100% certainty that I have a knack for droning on and on and on and on and on...I am guilty of that. Back during the Great JLU GL Hal debacle, I was quite the vocal fan. I like to think that on some small level, I added to the voices that were heard by Mattel, which eventually gave us the closest thing we could get to having a JLU GL Hal. This is a great reason as to why I feel that opinions matter.

Disagree with me all you like. Agree with me, if you dare. Ban me for BEING OPINIONATED? That's sad. I'll drink the Kool-Aid of my own volition, and not just to agree wholeheartedly with Matty's omniscient and never-erring strategies. You all wait and see...when I go and post a comment about how SDCC 2012 will have convention-only goodies like Gleeks and Starros, I'll have someone else getting on my case for simply stating my annoyance at such a practice. But I can take that, because a differing or counter-opinion to my own is a welcome one. For me, anyway.

Mods, if EVER you feel that I am being utterly disruptive to AFi in general, or am breaking any rules, or doing anything that even comes close to warranting a banishment, then please by all means contact me personally via PM. I hope that my opinion matters around here, and that someone who is opinionated can be heard or dare I say, welcomed here on AFi.

In my opinion you are right in this post, I don't particularly agree with your other post, but what's done is done. But Banning you over poking fun at comments made by TG IMO is really silly. I bet TG doesn't really care all that much either, as there have been far worse comments aimed directly at him in the past, yet he still comes here from time to time. If people don't like certain comments all they have to do is ignore it or say "I think that was not cool...dude" or something like that, but all of this talk of banning and what not, is overkill. I have already been limiting the amount of time I spend on this site already, but after comments from other posters, (that ARE actually rude and disrespectful) I have limited it even more. AFI is not very fun anymore, people jump down your throat even if you're just making a joke (one that is not even at another's expense,) and no I won't call those individuals out, but seriously are collecting TOYS really that big of a deal, that you feel you need to get all angry, disrespectful, and rude about it? Heck... NO!... get over yourselves, I hate to think how some people react when something bigger happens in life, like having another car rear end you.
Sorry, I am starting to rabble, so to finish I will just suggest this: Why don't we all just drop the subject now, and for those who don't like Howard's comment: just ignore it and move on, forgive and forget. Lets go talk about YJ, DCUC, or Toy Fair? Lets make AFI fun and friendly again. :)
Come on the first round of root beer is on me, :) but not the second, I have a budget okay. ;) :)

D.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:12 pm 

Hear hear! This is a great time if year, and Julius & crew are killing it with the coverage!
PS - no one is suggesting anyone be banned, just be respectful of each other!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:14 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I hate everyone! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next