Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: NYTF - JLU Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:24 pm 
Collector Inspector

Fone Bone wrote:
I too think he SHOULD be given toy Sainthood. Is that even a thing? If not, it should be even if he's the only guy it happens to.

Saint Nicholas is the saint of children and his name has been twisted through accents and such to be Santa Claus. Kinda the saint of toys but not officially. If we can have a patron saint of television (Saint clare) why not a saint of action figures? He's performed how many miracles, bringing this line back to life how many times?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:28 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I don't know that Sainthood is really applicable. I think it says a lot if (and I'm not targeting you here Fone) the people who hated on Toy Guru now call him a Saint. There's something about it that smacks of guilt. That's how it reads to me, at least.

As someone who never targeted Scott in my comments or made him out to be a bad guy, I can say I'm very, very happy these packs will be released and I appreciate any effort he put into making that happen. He's always said he loved this line, and this final effort stands as proof, I think.

But we don't know the names of the people who made this decision, and there was reference made to some new teams or something in one of the interviews, so maybe it was a new group of people above Scott realizing there were unmade, fully designed toys hanging around who said "Hey, let's make these!"

Whatever the case, yay - but lets not swing from one end of the love/hate spectrum to the other :)

Quote:
But if anyone wants to keep pushing the envelope, please do it nicely.

YES! Let's show how grateful we can be right now, even when suggesting anything.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:39 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

DisneyBoy wrote:

As someone who never targeted Scott in my comments or made him out to be a bad guy, I can say I'm very, very happy these packs will be released and I appreciate any effort he put into making that happen. He's always said he loved this line, and this final effort stands as proof, I think.

But we don't know the names of the people who made this decision, and there was reference made to some new teams or something in one of the interviews, so maybe it was a new group of people above Scott realizing there were unmade, fully designed toys hanging around who said "Hey, let's make these!"

Whatever the case, yay - but lets not swing from one end of the love/hate spectrum to the other :)

Absolutely.
Scott seems like a nice guy but he didn't single handedly save (or ruin if you feel that way) the line. All things considered he's done a pretty damn good job for his part in all of this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:47 pm 
serves the Otter

DisneyBoy wrote:
I don't know that Sainthood is really applicable. I think it says a lot if (and I'm not targeting you here Fone) the people who hated on Toy Guru now call him a Saint. There's something about it that smacks of guilt. That's how it reads to me, at least.

I have NEVER hated on ToyGuru and have been one of his staunchest defenders over the past few weeks. If anyone can jokingly call him a saint it's me. I have nothing to feel guilty over.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:49 pm 
Collector Inspector

DisneyBoy wrote:
I think it says a lot if (and I'm not targeting you here Fone) the people who hated on Toy Guru now call him a Saint. There's something about it that smacks of guilt. That's how it reads to me, at least.

I hope you're not targeting me, DB. I've had frustrations with Mattel, MAtty.com and Digital River but I don't think I ever had a harsh word towards ToyGuru.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:10 pm 
ABS

I, as one of his strongest critics, have to recognize he neither bares the guilt nor the praise. I have been vociferously critical of his poor PR skills, his lack of inventive in handling the lines, amongst other things. Mostly, the organization of Mattycollector.com in general, and their approaches towards the fans still show a lot of room or improvement. I will also add, I'm always critical of his work, and not his person. If he championed these releases he deserves our gratitude, but not sainthood. They're still going to make a profit and finally realized the "loud but not numerous" turned out a consistent fan-base, unlike the others who have varied and died out over the past few years. MOTU is their cash cow, but JLU had consistent sales within its "never selling out scenario". The situation harbors so many contradicting events, it would seem as if JLU's lifespan depended merely on a a "let's see who whines the loudest and wins" contest between managers and fans. In this case, they couldn't beat the very few, but loud; but most importantly, our money :D

So, I think the thanks should be directed at ALL the people who were not afraid to have their opinions confronted, or dismissed and kept asking for a little more (lord know I'm not one of them, I got fed up a long time ago. So their patience is admirable). To those who, above everything, put their passion, dedication and hard earned money to save a hobby that we all share. It's those people who deserve sainthood.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:38 pm 
Brand Manager

jamiwa3 wrote:
red Ricky wrote:
In the end, there’s nothing we can do but ask. Still we hope, that by asking and engaging, we’ll be able to correct a very minor oversight add a highly desired figure that many were unable to previously purchase..

"Oversight" makes it seem as if they made a mistake. Make the tone as positive as possible.

Although I have Aquaman and don't have Volcana, I'll go the Ebay route. We can't ask for too much.

Thanks for your help. Will do. And by the way... I'm in the same boat as you (i.e. One Aquaman and no Volcana.) Planning on going the Ebay route.

But I also have a lot of friends who:

1- Live in Latin America

2- Struggle with the English Language

3- Never had a shot at Aquaman

4- Went out of their way to participate in the Save the JLU Campaign.

This is my way of helping them.

This is the only way I could think of helping them.

And at least I know that I'm trying to repay their support to our little campaigns, our different polls and all that jazz. You know... By not being selfish... And by not standing on the sidelines after I got what I wanted.

Too many people ask and ask and ask, and then move on.

And I guess there's nothing wrong with that.

But I'm different.

After I asked my friends to "Like"... "Buy"... and "Vote"

I want to show them that I wasn't in it, just for me.

Anyways...

Thanks for your input, Jami. And you are welcomed to post. I think the link to the Q&A is up there, too. In the meantime, I'm off to post the letter on Facebook. Hopefully, people will join in, and the next time someone at Mattel checks the Q&A section; they'll see the same message over and over.

Plus, if everyone joins in... it could turn into a nice V for Vendetta moment.

Many people... One voice... "remember remember the fifth of november"

or if you prefer the classics... "I am Spartacus"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:07 pm 
serves the Otter

red Ricky wrote:
Thanks for your help. Will do. And by the way... I'm in the same boat as you (i.e. One Aquaman and no Volcana.) Planning on going the Ebay route.

1- Live in Latin America

And at least I know that I'm trying to repay their support to our little campaigns, our different polls and all that jazz. You know... By not being selfish... And by not standing on the sidelines after I got what I wanted.

But I'm different.

Anyways...

Thanks for your input, Jami. And you are welcomed to post. I think the link to the Q&A is up there, too. In the meantime, I'm off to post the letter on Facebook. Hopefully, people will join in, and the next time someone at Mattel checks the Q&A section; they'll see the same message over and over.

Posts like this are why Red Ricky is awesome.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:03 pm 
Tis' but a pup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:12 pm 
Knows his stuff

red Ricky wrote:

1- Live in Latin America

That's cool. I'm just waiting on toy karma to reward me and hopefully a Volcana will come my way without breaking the bank.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:54 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I can't remember if I ever said anything bad about TG himself, I am pretty darn sure I didn't, but in the off chance I did, it may have been about the Q/A stuff, (I am not sure if TG is even the guy who answers those) but there had been times I have said how stupid the answers were.
But I do appreciate TG's efforts and look forward to buying the new packs this summer/fall. Oh wait I remember that I have said I dislike Mattel... a few times atleast. ;)
Either way I do sincerely apologize to anyone and everyone for any offensive comments I may have made, (and not just because I am getting stuff I want,) but because of semi-recent happenings in my life that have made me see things differently, and have helped me evaluate my priorities and such... but getting these last figures sure doesn't hurt, ;)

D.

Last edited by Dusty on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:57 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Christhorne wrote:

Awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:27 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Christhorne wrote:

Glad your back friend! I seriously may get some of your work framed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:13 am 
Collector Inspector

Christhorne wrote:

'Tis a thing of beauty.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:14 am 
Aspires to be #1

Fone Bone wrote:
red Ricky wrote:

1- Live in Latin America

But I'm different.

Anyways...

Posts like this are why Red Ricky is awesome.

You mean writing one-two paragraphs on 45 lines? Yea that's awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next