Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: NYTF - JLU Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:42 am 
serves the Otter

j1h15233 wrote:
You mean writing one-two paragraphs on 45 lines? Yea that's awesome.

Actually I was referring to the fact that he was willing to take constructive criticism on his campaign for Aquaman. I'm not sure what the formatting of his posts have to do with anything. Could you explain to me a little better?

For the record I like your posts too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:43 am 
Aspires to be #1

Fone Bone wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

Actually I was referring to the fact that he was willing to take constructive criticism on his campaign for Aquaman. I'm not sure what the formatting of his posts have to do with anything. Could you explain to me a little better?

For the record I like your posts too!

I was just being sarcastic. He always has super long posts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:17 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Yes, he does, LOL! But well-intended ones :)

Quote:
I have NEVER hated on ToyGuru and have been one of his staunchest defenders over the past few weeks. If anyone can jokingly call him a saint it's me. I have nothing to feel guilty over.

Absolutely - I really am not singling out any one person in that post. I don't keep track of who feels what way about whom around here. I'm not making a list of "Scott haters" in my head. I just saw this wave of adoration beginning to form and couldn't help and step back and scratch my head for a second.

So again - not targeting anyone :) Especially not you, Fone, as we go waaaay back!

That "SAVED" poster is a stunner! Ahhh, isn't it nice to smile about JLU again?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:24 pm 
ABS

There is absolutely no reason for posts like these:
j1h15233 wrote:

j1h15233 wrote:
I was just being sarcastic. He always has super long posts.

The SAVED poster is incredible. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED GUYS! Let's see what the future brings for the collecting community.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:22 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I'd be shocked if we ever see another JLU figure. But then I was shocked that we saw these lol. I had just about given up hope. I'd love it, but I won't count on it. I'm grateful we're getting what we're getting finally.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:01 pm 
shirtless hugger

Once these are all out, we'll start pestering Mattel for the unreleased singles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:17 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Ham Salad wrote:
Once these are all out, we'll start pestering Mattel for the unreleased singles.

Which includes Volcana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:47 pm 
shirtless hugger

j1h15233 wrote:
Ham Salad wrote:

Which includes Volcana

Yes it does.

And let us throw Track Suit Batman in there for good measure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:55 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Ham Salad wrote:
Yes it does.

And let us throw Track Suit Batman in there for good measure.

Amen to that. Volcana and Track Suit Batman may forever elude me. Especially when there's a tracksuit batman collector out there. The dude has 3 already.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:18 pm 
my tummy itches

My uncle works for Mattel. And he told me toyguru had nothing at all to do with presenting the figures the last time and wasn't even in charge of making the decision or on the management team that presented it. He's a great guy don't get me wrong. And considering he was once a mere collector gives admiration and inspiration. I think that he gets too much praise for the whole jlu line. I mean no Waller, question and captain atom. That would be horrible but the last of these figures being released praise should at least go to Mattel in general.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:29 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
My uncle works for Mattel. And he told me toyguru had nothing at all to do with presenting the figures the last time and wasn't even in charge of making the decision or on the management team that presented it. He's a great guy don't get me wrong. And considering he was once a mere collector gives admiration and inspiration. I think that he gets too much praise for the whole jlu line. I mean no Waller, question and captain atom. That would be horrible but the last of these figures being released praise should at least go to Mattel in general.

I don't think anyone believes that your uncle works for Mattel and even if he is indeed a packaging guy as you have previously stated, he would have no idea if Toyguru made the presentation to the management team or not. Toyguru deserves all the praise for getting not only this last batch of figures out to us, but EVERY single figure that came after the Grodd 6-pack. He fought and fought for this line and got us every last figure he could.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:07 pm 
my tummy itches

My uncle does work on packaging for Mattel in California. I'm not lying to you. It got around and they call a big meeting for stuff like this. The management team presents ideas in front of packaging, sculpting, and the adminastrative levels. He was there. Scott was with the producing group and the other brand analysts. He knew as much of What was going on as Scott did. I didn't know these were getting realeased and my uncle never told me. So before you go ahead and accuse me of lying please look at the big picture and don't insult me. Back to discussing jlu.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:23 pm 
categorically opposed

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure that Mattel as a whole was absolutely up-in-arms about the potential of these figures going unreleased. In fact, I heard that brand managers across all of Mattel's product lines were fighting with management to get these guys released. There were riots, people were maimed - it was quite the bloodbath.

Bottom line - no one at Mattel cared/cares about JLU more than Scott, so let's give credit where it's due, huh? Since JLU is, for all intents and purposes, dead, it's highly unlikely that some other "team" presented this idea to management.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:33 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Kalibakvunderbarr... I have no clue if your Uncle works for Mattel or not. I like to give people who make such claims a little benefit of the doubt. Myself, I've done some incredible things in the toy and comic industry... well things I find incredible and if anything they certainly are interesting. Although I won't talk about them simply because, how can I prove it?

People can be pretty merciless or jealous when we make claims that seem a bit exaggerated. Just pay them no mind.

To me, Toyguru is no God or someone special... he seems like a nice enough bloke and definitely a man who did his job and did his job well. These figures that are being released weren't some favor to the fans or to collectors... it was something that could make money and whoever... be it Toyguru or someone else at the table was able to persuade powers that be that they make money.

Sure a little praise for a job well done is always great! But it can sometimes go a bit overboard.

Then again I don't have a collection missing X amount of figures so maybe if I collected JLU too I'd be all "thank you thank you thank you!" as well.

On other sites there are threads simply for thanking a toy company for producing this and producing that... I don't get it? Why should I thank them? They didn't produce anything for me, sure they did it to get my money... so I could get their product... maybe sometimes I'm thankful for a company's way of thinking outside of the box or delving into an area that may have seemed a bit unmarketable but until they start actually giving me a thing or two personally or for free... what do I really owe them?

Am I the only one who feels like this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:49 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I don't know...
As I said Scott wasn't the only guy at Mattel that made this happen in the end. BUT of all the people involved with getting these last figures to us Scott is probably the only one that if taken out of the equation that would destroy ANY chance of this happening. Other people had to put their approval on this but if Scott hadn't pushed the issue no one else would have got the ball rolling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next