Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: NYTF - JLU Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 am 
Damage Control

This is such wonderful news! Like others, I'm bummed they aren't re-releasing Volcana. I can't even buy one of those heads and make a custom of her since I gave all my extra JLUs away to Trick-or-Treaters. NERTZ. :(

http://www.kevenn.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:42 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I love seeing the unreleased figures showing up on eBay, now. Micron and Aquagirl can be had for the low low price of $135 each. FREE SHIPPING is included.

Bwahahaha!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:53 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Kevenn wrote:
This is such wonderful news! Like others, I'm bummed they aren't re-releasing Volcana. I can't even buy one of those heads and make a custom of her since I gave all my extra JLUs away to Trick-or-Treaters. NERTZ. :(

Buy the head and pick up any cheap female buck off ebay. Your gonna be painting the head anyway so its no sweat painting the body up too. And her costume is pretty easy to paint. No point missing out when you don't have to. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:13 am 
shirtless hugger

I lament the loss of Volcana, simply because this reissue would have had translucent hair.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:16 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Oh my F-ing god... was busy yesterday and totally forgot about NYTF. This is AMAZING news!!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:23 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

For any of those without an "official" Volcana, it's an easy repaint. I've already done two for people. You really should stop by Custom Justice and have someone make her for you. :) Stew even has translucent hair headcasts available.

I know it's not the same, but it beats having a hole in your collection.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:30 am 
Bob Vila

LeeMarvin2780 wrote:
This is great news! As someone who got into comics in the era of the Giffen/Dematteis JL, I'm very glad we'll be getting Guy and Beetle. THE JLU line would have felt incomplete without them. I'll be getting the rest too of course. Destiny and Firefly are a wonderful surprise. Thanks to all who campaigned and worked on this.

Same here LeeMarvin2780. That was my JL as well.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:23 am 
shirtless hugger

Fone Bone wrote:

ToyGuru, read this following part of the post. Please. I can't say it enough.

1. Do NOT under any circumstances do another JLU clearance sale until all of these three packs have come and gone. I know you want to clear out your warehouses of product but resist the urge. You're never going to clear it anytime soon anyways considering their horrible sales numbers. JLU just got buzz back. Don't waste it.

2. Promise me: Do NOT sell these at a clearance price. Ever. Well, if they are still around in five years, maybe, but you hold the upper hand here and if you say up-front that these will NEVER be clearanced you can get some of the lazier JLU fans to pony up. The premium price point is how you are going to get your money back. Don't let stingy fans put you in the red.

Fantastic job, Mattel!

Not trying to pick on you Fone but where has it been said that if the first few 3-packs don't sell well they will stop releasing them? It should not matter to you if these get clearanced down the road or not. It's a gamble that some people are willing to take, simple as that. I purposely skipped the 7-pack because I really only wanted 2 of the figures and I plan on snatching it up in December at half the price. If I guessed wrong I miss out but if i guessed right then jackpot for me. I'm just saying, don't call collectors "lazy" because they are willing to gamble on price reductions. Does it really bother you that much that someone is paying less for something you paid full price at? As for Mongul, he's tool cool a figure for me to gamble on and I will gladly be paying full price for him. And if he does go on clearance a year from his original sale date for 50% off I will still be happy that I had him in my collection an entire year earlier without all the worrying about a possible re-release date.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:28 am 
Aspires to be #1

It bothers me that people would wait out the sales, give JLU bad sale numbers and then Mattel would reward them by taking 20 dollars off of everything. I guess it doesn't matter much now because we're getting all the figures but it mattered a whole lot more yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:34 am 
5" Scale

bat313 wrote:
Not trying to pick on you Fone but where has it been said that if the first few 3-packs don't sell well they will stop releasing them? It should not matter to you if these get clearanced down the road or not. It's a gamble that some people are willing to take, simple as that. I purposely skipped the 7-pack because I really only wanted 2 of the figures and I plan on snatching it up in December at half the price. If I guessed wrong I miss out but if i guessed right then jackpot for me. I'm just saying, don't call collectors "lazy" because they are willing to gamble on price reductions. Does it really bother you that much that someone is paying less for something you paid full price at? As for Mongul, he's tool cool a figure for me to gamble on and I will gladly be paying full price for him. And if he does go on clearance a year from his original sale date for 50% off I will still be happy that I had him in my collection an entire year earlier without all the worrying about a possible re-release date.

That was just friendly advice from me to Mattel to make sure these sell out. I totally believe Mattel is now on the hook to release all of them and that they won't stop if the sales from the first ones don't measure up. I don't begrudge fans waiting for sales at all but I think since Mattel made SUCH a stink about the prices over these that if they DID sell them for less, they'd really take a financial hit. I love it when people pay less for stuff than I did. I wish them well and hope that I'm that lucky sometimes! I just think that in this one case Mattel can't afford to do it.

I want these packs to sell out. Mattel was kind enough to give them to us and I can hope I return the favor with a little free advice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Fone Bone wrote:
I totally believe Mattel is now on the hook to release all of them and that they won't stop if the sales from the first ones don't measure up.

I dont understand at all how you can come to this conclusion-- there is still no guarantee that we are going to see all of these packs---they are under no contractual obligation to anyone to get these out (even a subscription service doesn't obligate them either.)

I am a pessimist at heart and hope Im 100% incorrect (I just really hope they release the Firefly pack first)-- after that -to me everything else is just gravy.. I have had the rug yanked out from me too many times-- from all of the toy companies-- I never believe its actually coming until its in my hands..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:53 am 
5" Scale

Because they wouldn't have made this announcement unless they were sure every single one of these was scheduled. They would have dangled the carrot longer by showing us three of the packs and teasing the rest would come out if they sold well. There's always cause to be cynical but in this case it's like how everyone was worried that the seven pack would be canceled because STRIPE and the three packs undersold. They are now on a firm schedule. Mattel knows how JLU fans are. They wouldn't have given us such an unambiguous announcement unless these were a done deal. They learned their lesson from last year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:02 am 
shirtless hugger

Fone Bone wrote:
That was just friendly advice from me to Mattel to make sure these sell out. I totally believe Mattel is now on the hook to release all of them and that they won't stop if the sales from the first ones don't measure up. I don't begrudge fans waiting for sales at all but I think since Mattel made SUCH a stink about the prices over these that if they DID sell them for less, they'd really take a financial hit. I love it when people pay less for stuff than I did. I wish them well and hope that I'm that lucky sometimes! I just think that in this one case Mattel can't afford to do it.

I want these packs to sell out. Mattel was kind enough to give them to us and I can hope I return the favor with a little free advice.

I am grateful that Mattel, for one reason or another, decided to release these final packs and I also hope that they sell well to prove to Mattel that it does pay to be faithful to the collecting community. It's mutually beneficial. Also, I hope they do well for Toyguru's sake. I'm sure he pushed and pushed for it and I would hate to see it blow up in his face.

There is some pretty awesome fan demanded figures in these 3-packs so I can't imagine too many collectors taking the wait and see approach. The hard core impatient JLU fans will want these immediately! :)

And yeah, I can't imagine Mattel canceling these after 2 or 3 3-packs in. To me that would go over worse for them than just cancelling the line out right in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:14 am 
Displays Backwards

stewbacca wrote:
Fone Bone wrote:
I totally believe Mattel is now on the hook to release all of them and that they won't stop if the sales from the first ones don't measure up.

I dont understand at all how you can come to this conclusion-- there is still no guarantee that we are going to see all of these packs---they are under no contractual obligation to anyone to get these out (even a subscription service doesn't obligate them either.)

For what it's worth, Scott said at the presentation that each pack would be released, one each month. He did not mention any contingencies based on sales. It seemed clear, at least to me, that every set would be released.

BTW, scuttlebutt at Toy Fair was that the production of these sets will be extremely small. Several people I talked to at the presentation said they would be buying multiple packs. If you want the figures, I would not wait for the three-packs to be discounted later. Some of them (like the Toyman-Firefly-Dr. Destiny set) could sell out very quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:17 am 
Aspires to be #1

I do believe that production will be small and I don't believe people anymore when they say they are going to buy multiples of anything. People can say that all day but when they put two or three in their cart and see that final price they usually balk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next