Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What would you do if you owned some JLU testshots....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:29 pm 
MINT!

1.)Would you try to sell them now to make up some of the money you paid for them.

2.) Hold on to them because you never know what Mattel may do (ie. could produce a few and then cancel the rest, change their mind, etc.)

3.) Stand pat because you love the JLU so much it doesn't matter.

The reason I ask is because I own a few and have been wondering if I should sell or not.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: What would you do if you owned some JLU testshots....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:36 pm 
shirtless hugger

You should sell them to me. Specifically, Hawkman, Zatanna, Volcana and Aquaman, if you have them.

But to answer your question, I'd hold on to them, unless my situation required I sell them (i.e. I need the money).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:56 pm 
my tummy itches

If you could let me know what you have if
Like it but sell all except aquaman and hawkman. The others lose!!!!

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:13 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I'm guessing, but I get the impression he's talking about test shots for figures that are now actually getting a release. The Aquaman and Hawkman you're talking about probably don't apply.

If we're talking Firefly, Dr. Destiny, etc... I would sell them. I doubt you're ever going to get more for them. Once they're released, you probably won't get much at all. Your other option is to wait until well after they are released and no longer available for purchase on Matty. Mattel is only going to produce a small amount of these packs. These figures are still going to be somewhat rare, so a time will come when even loose versions are valuable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:00 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Test shots never go down in value but they do loose their shine when the actual product comes out. You could still find takers, purist and completest who need everything regardless of what it is in their collection. But nuts to that I would trade them for DCUC stuff I was missing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:02 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

I'll probably dump my set of the unreleased first shots at some point.

Until then I'll keep 'em.

Peace,

Chip ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:20 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Uh, are we using the word "testshot" to described the fully painted production-quailty figures that were being sold on Ebay over the past few months? Ex. the figure's fetching the hundreds of dollars a few short weeks/months ago? I get that feeling from the topic starter's post that these are what he's referring to. If that is the case, those aren't testshots. And yes, you should sell those figures immediately. But you unfortunately won't get much now that the news it out.

-Chip (marillion)"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:32 pm 
Resin

Well theres a handful of them on Ebay right now and I will be curious to see how they play out. At least 3 "buy it nows" from a Lima Peru seller were purchased already at price tags of $135 per figure. Then a few more popped up out of Canada with no buy it nows, not sure if theres any reserves. The ones from Canada have been up 2 times previously and the seller took them down when TG give the doom and gloom interview a month ago. Now that Matty has given the figures a "go" hes got them back up. He/she had offers all near $300 per when they were taken down the last time so Im wondering what shakes out now. Im almost certain theres still enough people that A) dont TOTALLY trust Matty will release them (or perhaps not all of them) or B) Like to have them "first" so they will sell and I wouldnt be suprised if some of them push at least $100. Will it be enough to recoup whatever the paid? Depends on which infamous China seller they got them from I suppose. But I dont blame them for trying, thats for sure.

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:19 am 
declined to be a vampire

jtd wrote:
Uh, are we using the word "testshot" to described the fully painted production-quailty figures that were being sold on Ebay over the past few months? Ex. the figure's fetching the hundreds of dollars a few short weeks/months ago? I get that feeling from the topic starter's post that these are what he's referring to. If that is the case, those aren't testshots. And yes, you should sell those figures immediately. But you unfortunately won't get much now that the news it out.

Let me ask you something: Why do retailers like BBTS, etc, buy up figures that are matty exclusives and sell them on their site for more?

Because it's the minority that actually knows about Matty, IMO.

The news being out only goes to those of us who know about matty, etc.

A large portion has yet to really put two and two together, and they see a figure they haven't been able to get before, and jump on it not knowing that it's going to be released elsewhere.
And even if they aren't the majority, and they are the minority, they still want them.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:30 am 

If you're a collector scouring eBay on a daily basis, or at least often enough to notice when a new figure pops up, and are willing to put down THAT much money , without having done the proper research... you deserve what you get. I "get" spending that much money to get it early, and because that might not be a lot of money to some people, but to spend it merely out of stupidity or laziness irks me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 am 
Kool Moe Dee

Those ones in Canada are mine, I put them up after Christmas with a reserve of what I would be comfortable selling them for thinking they were never coming out and I got a bunch of PM's asking about them. Then I decided that I could actually live without them and put them back up and got even more PM's and offers on all of them, so I took them down to work out deals with people. I knew buying these that it was always a possibility that they would come out one day, although I figured(no pun intended) that a 2013 SDCC exclusive was more likely than them ever coming to Matty.

I'm still getting huge interest on all the figures on eBay right now, the only reason I put them on again instead of just keeping them is because looking at the way the packs are set up I realized I was going to have to buy them all anyway, plus I've had these figures for months now and thought I would let some other people enjoy having them first for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:52 am 
Collector Inspector

I managed to snag a few back before the prices went insane. I love my Blue Beetle and I ain't giving him up even though I plan to buy him again when the 3 pack comes out. Same goes for the other leaked prototypes I landed. In fact, I may have to snap some pics for a new Awkward Moments in the JLU thread post tonight...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:46 am 
declined to be a vampire

Backward Galaxy wrote:
If you're a collector scouring eBay on a daily basis, or at least often enough to notice when a new figure pops up, and are willing to put down THAT much money , without having done the proper research... you deserve what you get. I "get" spending that much money to get it early, and because that might not be a lot of money to some people, but to spend it merely out of stupidity or laziness irks me.

I'm not sure this is a completely accurate assessment either.

And even if it was, why does it "irk" you how other people spend their money?

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:03 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

To be honest-the only reason I would ever own any preproduction items (at least for action figures) is to hopefully flip them-

- I have really never understand the market for prototypes (even figures that were never released)--

That being said I probably would cut you all to get a set of the Series 2 Darkwing Duck Figures... :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:53 pm 

Bunger43 wrote:
Backward Galaxy wrote:

I'm not sure this is a completely accurate assessment either.

And even if it was, why does it "irk" you how other people spend their money?

I'm not sure which part of my statement was an assessment that could be deemed accurate or inaccurate. I depicted one very specific scenario where someone purchased one of these figures right now ONLY because they didn't know they could get them later on at a reduced price. That's the only situation where it would "irk" me.

And it's not how other people spend their money that would "irk" me. Stupidity/laziness "irks" me in all its many shapes and forms. The information is very accessible at this point.