Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: JLU- MOC vs. Loose
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:30 pm 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

For those of you who insist on collecting MOC, was there ever an item that you had to
settle on getting loose because it was too hard to find in the first place?
EXAMPLES: Volcana, SS2 6-pack, LOTL 6-pack, etc.

Or are you the type who will hold out forever until you find it MOC?
Where do you draw the line?

AFi Positive Feedback: +198

Post subject: Re: JLU- MOC vs. Loose
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:54 am 
Collector Inspector

All MOC and I didn't hold out forever on any of them. After the original Hawkgirl fiasco, I started hunting them down MOC as soon as I heard they were out. Sometimes I had to resort to eBay, but that was a rare occurrence and I never paid through the nose for them. Right now there are only two I have that are not MOC...Superman Prime (cuz the bubble separated from the card on its own) and a custom of He Who Shall Not Be Named. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:02 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

I keep mine loose for space and display reasons. But the key to this line was hunting down the packs as soon as they were available. By hook or by crook... Target, Ebay, etc. Sure I may have paid an extra ten bucks here and there, but I got the six packs at Target and I got Volcana at a very reasonable price $25.
Got Aquaman at Target... and when Barda and Obsidian were hard to find, I got them off of ebay as soon as they were listed at $25 each.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:25 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

My entire collection is MOC, but it doesn't include Volcana, SS2, LOTL2, Barda... I do have Grundy, Deadshot, Star Sapphire... but Grundy was a recent purchase I made on eBay and I only spent as much as I did on him because I know for a fact I can turn him around at any time and get more for him.

A completist wouldn't fall in love with my collection, but I do have over 200 figures, if you count the duplicates and the Batman Animated figures I've used to fill in some holes (Talia, Catwoman, Ivy, Riddler, etc - Hey, if Mattel can do it, so can I). The point is that I have a big one without having gone crazy or resorting to buying loose figures. I haven't decided if I'm ever going to take them out of their packages, but I like having the option. In the meantime, I'm not living in a place I would call my longterm home. Once I am, and know what kind of display area I will have available, I will make that decision.

So, to directly answer your questions... As long as I want the option to have a MOC collection, I will not buy loose figures. If I can never get a decent price on STAS Aquaman or Volcana, they just won't be in my collection. No biggie for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:49 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I sold my MOC collection except a few of them about a year ago. I had a near complete collection too. Since then I've decided to collect strictly MOC/MIB for most of my collection and work on AFA items as well. Selling most of my loose collection in waves now but going to start working on a MOC collection again prolly.

The worse thing about a MOC collection with JLU is the cards are all sorts of sizes so as far as I know there are no protective cases for them.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:34 am 
Bob Vila

For the most part my collection is loose. I have a few items that I bought an extra and keep on the card just because I really like the look of these figures personally like Blue Devil, Aztek, the space heroes set (Adam Strange, Starman, Animal Man), the LOSH set.

I'll probably get an extra carded set of the Blue Beetle since he's my favorite DC hero.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:35 am 
Collector Inspector

ian5555 wrote:
The worse thing about a MOC collection with JLU is the cards are all sorts of sizes so as far as I know there are no protective cases for them.

There are only a few different card sizes. The JLU/DCSH/DCU 3-pack cards are all the same size, as are the singles. The singles from JL were all the same card size, as were the 2-packs. The bubbles, on the other hand, are different between each series, but are about the same depth (with the exception of the JL figures)...I don't know how that affects protective cases, though, cuz I've never ventured down that path.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:16 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Yeah, I know that or maybe you missed where I said I had a near complete MOC collection. My main gripe would be the difference in size between the 2 singles. I like it when all the singles are on roughly the same size card. I'm more of a single card collector.Oh well, is what it is.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 am 
Collector Inspector

ian5555 wrote:
Yeah, I know that or maybe you missed where I said I had a near complete MOC collection. My main gripe would be the difference in size between the 2 singles. I like it when all the singles are on roughly the same size card. I'm more of a single card collector.Oh well, is what it is.

I can read just fine, chuckles, so you can leave the attitude at the door. :roll: You said the cards were all sorts of sizes...well, there are 4 different card sizes spread across JL/JLU/DCSH/DCU...the JL single, the JL 2-pack, the JLU/DCSH/DCU single and the JLU/DCSH/DCU 3-pack. 4 = all sorts?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:28 am 
Aspires to be #1

KRaZeE wrote:
ian5555 wrote:

I can read just fine, chuckles, so you can leave the attitude at the door. :roll: You said the cards were all sorts of sizes...well, there are 4 different card sizes spread across JL/JLU/DCSH/DCU...the JL single, the JL 2-pack, the JLU/DCSH/DCU single and the JLU/DCSH/DCU 3-pack. 4 = all sorts?

What about the 7-pack (original league members which is a different size), the 6-packs, the Con exclusive packs? There's plenty of change in the sizes between packaging.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:30 am 
Collector Inspector

j1h15233 wrote:
What about the 7-pack (original league members which is a different size), the 6-packs, the Con exclusive packs? There's plenty of change in the sizes between packaging.

Those are boxes. He specifically mentioned the card sizes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:32 am 
Aspires to be #1

KRaZeE wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

Those are boxes. He specifically mentioned the card sizes.

Well I assumed if you had a MOC collection and were looking for a way to protect them then those would come into play as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:35 am 
Collector Inspector

j1h15233 wrote:
Well I assumed if you had a MOC collection and were looking for a way to protect them then those would come into play as well.

I agree...I was just responding to what was posted, which only called card size into question.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:39 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Such semantics :lol: I'm sure he assumed you meant both... simple mistake... the world hasn't ended due to it. Although I'm sure one day it will something as simple as an assumption that will due us all in as a species.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:42 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

We don't keep anything MOC in my house.

My little girl plays with everything so I treat them like toys rather than collectables lol.

Her favorite figure is Grundy and when we got it for her 2 years ago at christmas she used it like a teddy bear, she honestly took it everywhere and would talk to it back and forth in the Grundy voice, it was quality.

We have a collection of toys that features all sorts of ranges from G1 transformers to Hello Kitty and she has never lost a single accessory or broke a limb etc. sure the paint gets a little worn but that is part of the magic