Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Custom Completing JLU
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:10 am 
PVC

Hi everyone, im as most of u excited to finally get toyman and the other promised figures but i would have loved to get many other characters that for me are important. I would like to know if u have found succesful recipes to customize other characters, if anyone are selling cool customized versions of em or if there are other toy lines alternatives that would scale/style fit with the jlu line.
For example i've read RumbleFish's great idea for Hyppolyta and i think that would be perfect.
Any recipe for Lois Lane? Granny? Desaad? Morgan Lefay? Steppenwolf? Harvey Bullock? Wonder twins? El Dorado? Circe? Posion Ivy? Classic Robin? Starfire? Wonder girl? Changelling? Raven? Clark Kent? Maybe a decent Bat myth from other lines? a young static? any ideas would be appreciated :)

JLU wishlist - Zan&Jayna w/ gleek, El Dorado, Poison ivy, Killer Croc & Baby Doll, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Prof. Emil Hamilton, Granny, Raven, Dick Grayson Robin, Changelling, Wonder girl, Starfire, Kid Flash, Jericho, Slade, Katana, Halo, Looker.

Post subject: Re: Custom Completing JLU
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:31 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Couple of links for you first off. And yes, completely shameless plugs here.

First is the JLU Wiki. Almost 2000 unique entries and still growing.

http://jlucustoms.wikia.com/wiki/JLU_Customs_Wiki

Second is Stew's custom store, which has a link where you can order custom figures.

http://stewscustoms.dchallofjustice.com ... age_id=158

As far as recipes, there are several that are considered standard. Granny and Harvey are tough to do right from scratch. It can be done, but it's easier to buy them honestly. Glassman has a fantastic Granny Goodness kit, and Stew has Harvey.

The Wonder Twins are fairly easy. Male thin buck, Flash or Elongated man head, sculpted or styrene collar, sculpted hair and ears for Zan. Female buck, same collar, female head (Batgirl, Livewire, etc), sculpted hair. Wonder Girl can be done using a female standard buck with either Wonder Woman arms or sculpted bracelets and my new personal favorite, the Mary Marvel head. There are far too many to list here though.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:02 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

texgnome1 wrote:
Second is Stew's custom store, which has a link where you can order custom figures.

And just as an aside-- that is Batstew-- not me, the mighty Stewbacca :mrgreen: I don't have an artistic bone in my body...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:54 am 
Wonderdog

texgnome1 wrote:
Couple of links for you first off. And yes, completely shameless plugs here.

First is the JLU Wiki. Almost 2000 unique entries and still growing.

http://jlucustoms.wikia.com/wiki/JLU_Customs_Wiki

You know, for all the plugging you've done for the JLU wiki, I never actually checked it out until yesterday. Man, that thing is comprehensive! I noticed you used some of my customs without my permission. :evil:

...Just kidding. It's nice to be acknowledged, especially alongside some of the masters! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 am 
Mint on Card

stewbacca wrote:
texgnome1 wrote:

And just as an aside-- that is Batstew-- not me, the mighty Stewbacca :mrgreen: I don't have an artistic bone in my body...

Maybe not Stew but you've helped a lot of us during the JLU sale on Matty so that's something. :D

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:37 am 
Mint on Card

whitemagus wrote:
Hi everyone, im as most of u excited to finally get toyman and the other promised figures but i would have loved to get many other characters that for me are important. I would like to know if u have found succesful recipes to customize other characters, if anyone are selling cool customized versions of em or if there are other toy lines alternatives that would scale/style fit with the jlu line.
For example i've read RumbleFish's great idea for Hyppolyta and i think that would be perfect.
Any recipe for Lois Lane? Granny? Desaad? Morgan Lefay? Steppenwolf? Harvey Bullock? Wonder twins? El Dorado? Circe? Posion Ivy? Classic Robin? Starfire? Wonder girl? Changelling? Raven? Clark Kent? Maybe a decent Bat myth from other lines? a young static? any ideas would be appreciated :)

For Static I believe they had a fast food toy of Static that fit in scale wise with JLU same with the Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:50 am 

Ed, I'm glad you like it. I'm very OCD about custom pictures, and I wanted to share them. I will add though, everywhere I made official plugs for the Wiki I gave people the option to "opt out" for lack of a better word. If anyone objects I will take them down immediately. We even edited the home page to include that as well. I contacted quite a few customizers up front to make sure it's okay, but it's been impossible to contact everyone individually.

As far as a Young Static, yes there was a fast food version of him made that fits perfectly in scale with the JLU line. And yes, BatStew has a cast of that as well hahahahaha...

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:37 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

texgnome1 wrote:
Ed, I'm glad you like it. I'm very OCD about custom pictures, and I wanted to share them. I will add though, everywhere I made official plugs for the Wiki I gave people the option to "opt out" for lack of a better word. If anyone objects I will take them down immediately. We even edited the home page to include that as well. I contacted quite a few customizers up front to make sure it's okay, but it's been impossible to contact everyone individually.

As far as a Young Static, yes there was a fast food version of him made that fits perfectly in scale with the JLU line. And yes, BatStew has a cast of that as well hahahahaha...

Anyone that objects to a simple picture of a custom being used in that database is a tool. And there are some people on here that I know and like that have opted out, and frankly, I find that a little offensive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:40 am 
Collector Inspector

The Subway Sandwich toy (who knew they jumped on the Happy Meal bandwagon?) Static Shock figure is a decent fit on his own.

Seen here w/ the Justice League Beyond:
http://aradrath.deviantart.com/gallery/ ... 4#/d3dgyhv

Mixed in with other close-to-scale figures, he doesn't blend too well.

Seen here with other teen types:
http://aradrath.deviantart.com/gallery/ ... 0#/d3lnptt

McDonalds Brave & the Bold Blue Beetle/Jamie figure is IMHO a little, well, chunky. I think a better fit is a customized Big Chill from Ben 10.

Jamie Reyes, Ted Kord and Big Chill seen here:
http://aradrath.deviantart.com/gallery/ ... 4#/d3dgy2t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:54 am 

I dunno, the Subway toy itself seems a bit small. Plus, it has that weird BARF-like pose. I've seen several fantastic custom versions of young Static using the Subway head. Eventually I'll probably do the same thing.

That is, when I get through the... let's see now... 10 + 6 + 12... 28 customs I have either prepped and ready for paint or in almost ready. And that doesn't even count the ones on the bench in various stages of assembly hahahahahah...

Last edited by texgnome1 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:01 am 
Collector Inspector

Right there with ya. Plus a box full of fodder figures that are earmarked for future customs. I'm almost tempted to take a week off from work JUST to work on figures.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 am 

Oh don't even start on fodder figures. I'll have to find the picture of my setup area in the garage. It's not as nice as Glassman or Casimir's, but it ain't too darn shabby lol.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:14 am 
Cold-cast

texgnome1 wrote:
Oh don't even start on fodder figures. I'll have to find the picture of my setup area in the garage. It's not as nice as Glassman or Casimir's, but it ain't too darn shabby lol.

Hey tex, I tried e-mail Glassman about his Granny Goodness kit and haven't gotten a response, is he still making it? Dod he change his email address? It was well over a month ago I sent that email.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:28 am 
Dog Squeezer

RumbleFish wrote:
texgnome1 wrote:

Hey tex, I tried e-mail Glassman about his Granny Goodness kit and haven't gotten a response, is he still making it? Dod he change his email address? It was well over a month ago I sent that email.

Here's a link to his store to buy a Granny Goodness. It might be easier that way.

http://glassman.dchallofjustice.com/?wp ... -duplicate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:58 am 

Jester beat me to it. Glassman just recently revamped his store. He even has casts of the joint project he and Casimir did together.

Dan Turpin, Maggie Sawyer and Perry White. And he already had Granny Goodness and Jimmy Olsen! Yes, another shameless plug. And don't forget his green and yellow lanterns. :D