Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Displaying JLU questions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:12 pm 
Wonderdog

I finally dug out, opened, and tried to display all my JLU. I built custom racks for them (like the Pez display in that other thread). Unfortunately, I'm still not finished because I encountered space problems, so I figured here's a good place to get answers.

1. Do you display all the variations of each character? So far, I have 7 Batman, 2 Darkseid, 2 Booster Gold, 2 Green Arrow, 5 Amazo, 5 Lex Luthor, I-don't-know-how-many-John-Stewart, etc (you get the idea).

2. Do you group them or just randomly display?

3. Do you display with accessories? Most times, the accessory falls out of the hand. Today I drilled the Shade's left fist with a Dremel, and it worked great. Looks good also.

Post subject: Re: Displaying JLU questions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:55 pm 
active in the community

No to question 1.Batman alone would take up too much space.
2.I group together by heroes and villains and still run outta space.I have acrylic shelf unit four levels that fit 9 across and it is 4 tiered.
Imagethis pic is older.I need to update with a new one.
I had to box up about 100 figures including customs.
3.I could care less about accessories.
hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:36 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I group heroes with heroes and villains with villains. I do not display more than one of the same character unless it's a repaint/variant that works as a separate character (aka - Ultraman). For your Darkseid example, I might display Destroyer Darkseid in addition to the regular Darkseid, but only if I could put some shelf distance between them. I would not, for instance, display every Batman repaint. I do not care at all about the accessories.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:03 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Just bought a new shelf yesterday:

And rearranged the old one a bit:

I usually display whichever variants I feel like displaying. Depends on how much I like each individual version. I try to keep as many villains and heroes together as possible. I ran out of villains to put on the new shelf so I just filled in with some heroes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:37 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I would suggest not displaying your entire collection at once. Firstly, it makes one look like a bit of a geek (which is okay to some, and horrifying to others) and secondly, you run the risk of having your figures' legs give out. Don't forget these are Mattel toys, and they are made of cheap plastics!

When I feel like displaying some JLU figures, I try to limit it to a dozen or so. I pick some villains I want to see together, or I create a Heroes VS Villains arrangement, with them facing off. That way, in a few weeks when I'm sick of looking at it, I can put them away or swap them for other figures. Variety is the spice of life!

Definitely don't display a dozen Batmans all together. How boring to look at!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:59 pm 
Knows his stuff

Hey whakojacko1976, that's a nice shelf. Where did you get it, and do you mind if I ask how much it cost?

Do the shelves have 5 1/2" clearance, by any chance?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:25 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou wrote:
Hey whakojacko1976, that's a nice shelf. Where did you get it, and do you mind if I ask how much it cost?

There is just over 5 1/2 inches of space between every shelf except the very top shelf where the Grey Ghost and 4-packs are. The top shelf is slightly less but measures 5 1/2 inches exactly.

I bought the shelf for about $40 at Big Lots. It's called the O'Sullivan 409110 Multimedia Storage Tower.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:40 am 
Knows his stuff

whakojacko1976 wrote:

There is just over 5 1/2 inches of space between every shelf except the very top shelf where the Grey Ghost and 4-packs are. The top shelf is slightly less but measures 5 1/2 inches exactly.

I bought the shelf for about $40 at Big Lots. It's called the O'Sullivan 409110 Multimedia Storage Tower.

Thank you! I'm going to look for one tonight. I think it'll work perfectly with these "soft" plastic cases I bought, for a setup similar to yours.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:57 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Thank you! I'm going to look for one tonight. I think it'll work perfectly with these "soft" plastic cases I bought, for a setup similar to yours.

The shelves are adjustable obviously but if you want 7 rows spaced at about 5 1/2" apart you'd pretty much have to stick to the same layout I have.

*But just a note - I measured another one of those same exact shelves I have at work and that one's top shelf actually fell just under 5 1/2". Say about 5 6/16". The rest were all still above 5 1/2" and the bottom shelf was 6" plus but they are all arranged the exact same way as the other shelf. :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:15 pm 
Knows his stuff

whakojacko1976 wrote:

The shelves are adjustable obviously but if you want 7 rows spaced at about 5 1/2" apart you'd pretty much have to stick to the same layout I have.

*But just a note - I measured another one of those same exact shelves I have at work and that one's top shelf actually fell just under 5 1/2". Say about 5 6/16". The rest were all still above 5 1/2" and the bottom shelf was 6" plus but they are all arranged the exact same way as the other shelf. :?

Thank you again for checking!

These are the exact cases I bought for my JLU, and I think they will JUST fit:
http://www.theearthtoymall.com/socalafilo.html

I think the "peg holes" may get in the way, but I can slide those under the back sides of the higher shelves, and that can even hold them in place better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:34 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

OK. Here is what I'm using and as you can see by the dimensions my boxes are about 3/16" shorter than the ones you have. I think you should be good though.

Sturdy acrylic gift boxes

PAC1106 Acrylic Favor Box

Small Clear Hard Plastic Box. Size: 5 1/16"H X 2 5/16"W X 2 5/16"D.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:04 am 
Collector Inspector

Where did you find those?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

1. Do you display all the variations of each character? So far, I have 7 Batman, 2 Darkseid, 2 Booster Gold, 2 Green Arrow, 5 Amazo, 5 Lex Luthor, I-don't-know-how-many-John-Stewart, etc (you get the idea).

Nope, In fact Ive gotten rid of most of the variations, although the ones I kept I do display.

2. Do you group them or just randomly display?

Pretty much just randomly display- mine go about 5 deep on a straight shelf (about 12 feet long)-- although I do tend to put the females up front.

3. Do you display with accessories? Most times, the accessory falls out of the hand. Today I drilled the Shade's left fist with a Dremel, and it worked great. Looks good also.

Nope-- out of my 3-5K of figures I would say less than 5 % of all of them have accessories with them (exceptions made for things like Wonder Pig and Skeets.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:04 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

tuning4k wrote:
Where did you find those?

I was buying them from Micheal's craft stores until they stopped carrying them. Had to send away for a few more to a site I found online.
I found them on this site as well: http://www.dazzlelace.com/packagingsupplies/boxes.htm
(Scroll a little less than 1/2 way down)
I've never bought anything from that particular shop however.

Maybe try Googling "Clear Acrylic Boxes 5 1/16"H X 2 5/16"W X 2 5/16"D"

*Edit*
Here is another one I found :http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_containers/clear_plastic_boxes/222
(Style 762)
More expensive though.

Last edited by whakojacko1976 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:08 pm 
Knows his stuff

I looked high and low for those acrylic boxes for the longest time, and never found them, online or in person. That's why I went with the cases I linked to a few posts up, which were also cheaper.

Thank you again for the heads-up, whakojacko1976. I bought that same multimedia storage tower at Big Lots last night, but it may be a while before I put it together.