Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for April 2nd
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:31 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

j1h15233 wrote:
There were also 3 producers ahead of him, not to mention the idiot suits at WB who probably controlled everything anyway. I just don't think he had much to do with it. No one with common sense did anyway.

:lol: Nice! Seriously, I do think he had some say, after all it's all based on his own work... Hell if I was the Producer I would have deferred to him because of that. Who should know the material better?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Maybe he did, who knows? I felt like he was brought on more as a energy guy/pitch man for them. All he did was pimp it on Twitter for months leading up to it and then said nothing about it after it was released. I really don't think DC is going to have a successful Marvel type franchise of movies as long as WB is involved. The only thing they've really gotten right in my lifetime is Batman and even then, they put him in his own world. It's like he's on Earth-Batman where everyone hero died but Batman and every villain died but his enemies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:06 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

yeah they fumble the movie ball with everything. If they start a franchise right they ruin it in time or they don't even start to begin with.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:13 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

j1h15233 wrote:
There were also 3 producers ahead of him, not to mention the idiot suits at WB who probably controlled everything anyway. I just don't think he had much to do with it. No one with common sense did anyway.

Geoff Johns is the Chief Creative Officer at DC Entertainment.

Read this article at The LA Times which was written shortly after he was promoted.

Quote:
The premiere for Marvel Studios’ “Iron Man 2” shut down Hollywood Boulevard in May with the year’s most bombastic red-carpet event, featuring fireworks, a heavy-metal soundtrack, go-go dancers and a parade of celebrities that included Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Mickey Rourke and Hugh Hefner. Walking through it all were two outsiders of a sort: Diane Nelson and Geoff Johns.

The industry odd couple — she previously managed the Harry Potter brand for Warner Bros. but had no experience in comics, he’s a fan-favorite comic-book writer who had never worked at a studio — are the president and chief creative officer, respectively, of DC Entertainment, main comic-book rival to Marvel. Their task is to rummage through the massive DC library and finally get venerable characters such as Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman on the silver screen for parent company Warner Bros. Their appointment, part of a restructuring of DC last September, is an implicit acknowledgment of the long dysfunctional relationship between the studio and its New York comic book unit.

On Saturday, in front of an expected audience of 6,500 at Comic-Con, Warner will present the first footage from “Green Lantern,” which stars Ryan Reynolds and is the biggest effort by the studio to create a superhero franchise that doesn’t feature Superman or Batman. The character, whose roots go back to the 1940s, is a member of an intergalactic peacekeeping force armed with rings that give them nearly unlimited powers.

“Lantern” is the first film made with the new DC team in place and Johns will be right up there on stage with director Martin Campbell, Reynolds and other cast members. Far from an interloper, Johns was an essential sounding board on matters of plot, tone, character design and visual effects, the film team said.

It says it right there. And that's what Geoff himself told us at SDCC in 2010 and Wonder Con last year. He didn't take a powder until after the movie came out.

Mike
(I sure hope they don't let him anywhere near the Flash movie.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:17 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Well that makes even less sense. How could he think it was a good idea to tell the Hal story the way they did? And I still don't think Reynolds was a good choice at all to play Hal. EVERYONE wanted him to be Deadpool or Flash. I guess it doesn't matter now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:08 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Most of the rest of this thread makes my head hurt. But Reynolds as Hal was a horrible idea. I said so from the start. He would have made a perfect Flash though. Nathan Fillion should have been Hal. Heck, I should have been Hal before Reynolds. :)

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:14 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

The true problem with the GL film was it's villain. Hector Hammond. Very bad choice to begin what is supposed to be the DC Movie Franchise tentpole film(basically, WB's Iron Man) Even if handled in the best way possible, Hector Hammond would still be Hector Hammond. Nobody walked away from the film with any sense of, 'Wow, man! Look at what...that weird guy with the big head did to such-and-such.'

The true flaw of the film was and is Hector Hammond.

And for the record, and being a huge Flash fan, Ryan Reynolds would not have made a good choice for any Flash, Barry or Wally. Deadpool yes, maybe. But as far as I'm concerned, there still has not been a true Deadpool on the big screen. That craptastic, mouthless 'Dedpoole' is nothing worth the film it was shot on.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:47 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I agree with Howard.

:shock:

I didn't mind him as GL. My problem was:

A) not enough time spent on Oa and the other Lanterns. The training sequence was the most entertaining part of the movie because it contained other Lanterns.

B) Hal had no one to hit. The bad guys were a nerd with a big head and a cloud.

There were some positives:

Sinestro, what limited screen time he had, was very well done. He'll make a great villain if there ever is a sequel.

The special effects were decent. Not jaw dropping, but decent. I thought the constructs Hal made would have worked better with Karl, considering they were so intricate.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:54 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
I agree with Howard.

I didn't mind him as GL. My problem was:
A) not enough time spent on Oa and the other Lanterns. The training sequence was the most entertaining part of the movie because it contained other Lanterns.
B) Hal had no one to hit. The bad guys were a nerd with a big head and a cloud.
There were some positives:
Sinestro, what limited screen time he had, was very well done. He'll make a great villain if there ever is a sequel.
The special effects were decent. Not jaw dropping, but decent. I thought the constructs Hal made would have worked better with Karl, considering they were so intricate.

I third this assesment-- and I hate Green Lantern (and I think GL was better than any of the Nolan Batman movies)-- My wife actually liked this one more than Thor and Captain America.. My other problem was Blake Lively- but since Im not really attached to the characters- I cant really say shed didnt make a good Carol..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:36 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Shellhead wrote:
I agree with Howard.

:shock:

Wow...are you okay, Shellhead?

:lol:

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:43 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

The problem was the script... says the screenwriter graduate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:58 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Quote:
A lot of people loved what John Broome, Denny O'Neil, Marv Wolfman, Steve Englehart and Ron Marz did with GL, too.

Wait... what? Someone loved what Ron Marz did with GL? I thought he was the most loathed GL writer in history.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:27 pm 
An Insider

JuliusMarx wrote:
Quote:
A lot of people loved what John Broome, Denny O'Neil, Marv Wolfman, Steve Englehart and Ron Marz did with GL, too.

Wait... what? Someone loved what Ron Marz did with GL? I thought he was the most loathed GL writer in history.

I did!
Kyle Rayner, Donna Troy, Jade, Warriors, Fatality
He made me a Kyle Rayner fan!
Hal Jordan = Parallax = Evil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:10 pm 
shirtless hugger

JuliusMarx wrote:
Quote:

I thought the same thing when I read this. Ron Marz better than Geoff Johns? I always though Marz had good ideas which ultimately left my disappointed in the end. So I didn't love his stuff, didn't hate it. Most of the hate for him was because of the crazy Hal replaced with Kyle stuff.

To each their own, but to blame Geoff Johns for not getting the DC Mattel figures you want is a bit silly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:03 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

JuliusMarx wrote:
Quote:

That depends on who you ask. I personally wouldn't put Marz above Broome or O'Neil, but he had a fan following. He wrote the book for over six years and made Green Lantern a top ten book again.

My point is a concept like Green Lantern doesn't last for over seventy years because of one guy. Green Lantern was around before Geoff Johns and he'll be around long after Geoff leaves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next