Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Young Justice 4 and 6 inch lines CANCELLED!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I agree that the Blue Beetle/Reach focus has been stretched a bit thin at this point but I am still really enjoying the show.

I love that Vandal Savage is in space keeping an eye on the trial and that Luthor and the Light on Earth are still actively scheming behind the scenes.

Can't wait for the big payout at the end of the storyline/series.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:01 am 
Brand Manager

Fone Bone wrote:
red Ricky wrote:
So basically, we can blame Mattel's crappy toys for Young Justice and Green Lantern's cancelation.

Great!

Here's hoping that the guy responsible for the various Green Lantern Movie lines gets promoted to the Barbie division!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

How can you possibly blame Mattel for this?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/29/ ... -the-fans/

'Cause that's who Bruce Timm and Rich Johnston said were responsible. And because I clicked on the links. And because I'm inclined to believe Bruce is better informed than we are. And because you can't blame the Green Lantern Movie for Young Justice's cancelation. And because, technically speaking, everybody knew the Green Lantern Movie had flopped by the time the Animated Series premiered; and yet, 10 more episodes of Young Justice and 13 more episodes of Green Lantern were picked up after the initial 13 episode order. And because it's a far bigger stretch of the imagination to pretend that Mattel's Green Lantern movie toys would've sold better, if the movie had been better. I mean... if that were the norm, then we would've seen better toy sales for such films as James Cameron's Avatar, and Men in Black, and Star Trek, and Harry Potter, and Pirates of the Caribbean, and Shrek, and Jurassic Park, and Terminator, etc., etc., etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:08 am 
Collector Inspector

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I agree that the Blue Beetle/Reach focus has been stretched a bit thin at this point but I am still really enjoying the show.

I love that Vandal Savage is in space keeping an eye on the trial and that Luthor and the Light on Earth are still actively scheming behind the scenes.

I'm really over DC trying to establish The Reach as some actual big cosmic baddies. Bring back the Khunds or the Dominators or the Durlans! BUT the best silver lining to it all is all of the great Ted Kord and Dan Garrett shots in last week's episode! Curse you, Shocker Toys, for teasing me with a Golden Age Blue Beetle figure!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:17 pm 
Brand Manager

red Ricky wrote:
Fone Bone wrote:
How can you possibly blame Mattel for this?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/29/ ... -the-fans/

'Cause that's who Bruce Timm and Rich Johnston said were responsible. And because I clicked on the links. And because I'm inclined to believe Bruce is better informed than we are. And because you can't blame the Green Lantern Movie for Young Justice's cancelation. And because, technically speaking, everybody knew the Green Lantern Movie had flopped by the time the Animated Series premiered; and yet, 10 more episodes of Young Justice and 13 more episodes of Green Lantern were picked up after the initial 13 episode order. And because it's a far bigger stretch of the imagination to pretend that Mattel's Green Lantern movie toys would've sold better, if the movie had been better. I mean... if that were the norm, then we would've seen better toy sales for such films as James Cameron's Avatar, and Men in Black, and Star Trek, and Harry Potter, and Pirates of the Caribbean, and Shrek, and Jurassic Park, and Terminator, etc., etc., etc.

Okay, I didn't mean for that to come out as snarky as it did. When I wrote it, I had tongue firmly planted in cheek.

tuning4k wrote:
bnjmnrlyr wrote:

I'm really over DC trying to establish The Reach as some actual big cosmic baddies. Bring back the Khunds or the Dominators or the Durlans! BUT the best silver lining to it all is all of the great Ted Kord and Dan Garrett shots in last week's episode! Curse you, Shocker Toys, for teasing me with a Golden Age Blue Beetle figure!!!!

At first, I thought the Dominators were behind the whole Invasion thing; but I'm kind of glad it turned out to be the Reach. They just seem to have the type of tech & firepower that I would associate with an advanced space super-power. To me, the Khunds and the Gordanians always seemed too barbaric, too medieval. Like... I could see them "salvaging" Tech; but not developing it. Know what I mean?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 pm 
Collector Inspector

red Ricky wrote:
At first, I thought the Dominators were behind the whole Invasion thing; but I'm kind of glad it turned out to be the Reach. They just seem to have the type of tech & firepower that I would associate with an advanced space super-power. To me, the Khunds and the Gordanians always seemed too barbaric, too medieval. Like... I could see them "salvaging" Tech; but not developing it. Know what I mean?

I do and I semi-agree. It's that whole Klingon angle: they're a race focused on violent conquest and their tech is stolen from plundered civilizations. All very "Conan meets Buck Rogers." The Reach always seemed to me like the result of the cool, calculation Psions had a baby with Gumby.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:13 am 
serves the Otter

red Ricky wrote:
Okay, I didn't mean for that to come out as snarky as it did. When I wrote it, I had tongue firmly planted in cheek.

No worries. I got the joke.

You have a point about some great movies having poorly selling toylines but I really can't think of that many in recent memory that sold as badly as Green Lantern (MAYBE Star Trek). Even though the Men in Black toys barely sold there weren't as many of them on the pegs in the first place so you hardly noticed. There are STILL GL toys on the shelves because they made too dang many.

By the way, I think Bruce Timm's interview proves part of my original point. It was the retailers who passed on more GL toys, not just Mattel. If the movie toys had sold better retailers may have been more receptive to the idea.

abuddah wrote:

On a side note, is anyone still enjoying this show? The narrative seems severely flawed. There are way too many characters and the ones I actually want to see (The Justice League and the original YJ) are constantly sidelined. The invasion plot line has been stretched out way too far and I can't even keep track of Luthor, Vandal Savage and the rest of The Light's machinations. Since the show came back from its recent hiatus, it's essentially become the Blue Beetle show. I love the costume designs and the animation is top notch, but the story has completely lost me.
I agree but this has been a problem with the show from the get-go. There are too many things going on at once and the show often easily loses focus. I was digging the last episode until the Queen Bee Xanatos Gambit and I was like, boy Weisman ENJOYS leaving his audiences hanging and ending all of his series on an unresolved cliffhanger. We are going to be screwed again. I just know it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I love the show. I consider it better than JLU, and that's one heck of a high bar.

However, I just don't see how they're gonna wrap everything up in the two remaining episodes. The cut back to 20 episodes really hurt the character development this season. They really could have used those 6 extra shows like they had in the 1st season.

I'm really gonna miss YJ. With the current trend of "dumbing down" animated series (looking at you, Ultimate Spider-man), I fear we'll never see a mature show like YJ or the Timmverse again.

Hope I'm wrong. :(

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:59 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
I
I'm really gonna miss YJ. With the current trend of "dumbing down" animated series (looking at you, Ultimate Spider-man), I fear we'll never see a mature show like YJ or the Timmverse again.
:(

Although USM is dumbed down-- -although they get a little excessive with the CHIBI stuff it seemed to have toned down some as the series moves along-- and it it didnt have the goofy side-we never would have gotten a Spider Ham that actually could be canon in a series-

I still found it enjoyable, but then again all I pretty much watch is cartoons nowadays, its its animation is a crapload better than the god awful Adventure time..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 am 

Hey, I still watch it. I'm just annoyed at how inferior it's teen protagonists are to YJ's teen protagonists.

Plus, Spider-man is a loner (or at least he should be).

It wouldn't be so bad if I could get more adult fare in animated form (a la Hulk vs.), but Marvel doesn't seem to be putting out any more Direct to DVD movies like Warner Brothers is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:19 pm 
Brand Manager

Shellhead wrote:
I love the show. I consider it better than JLU, and that's one heck of a high bar.

However, I just don't see how they're gonna wrap everything up in the two remaining episodes. :(

Not to spoil anything, but Nightwing could always develop a Windows-Based-Virus that renders Scarabs useless. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:35 am 
serves the Otter

Shellhead wrote:

2 words: Transformers Prime.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:35 am 
Former King of Posts

There is a long running thread in the Screen Scene forum discussing the show itself. Let's keep this to toy related stuff. And yes, the lack of toys killing off the show is toy related. Plot points are not.

My goal with the series of blogs I started called "Young Justice 2.0" was going to be an attempt to convince Mattel to try to give the series a second chance as a toy line. With the news of no 3rd season, I no longer see the point. I do think they could have tried another angle - different scale and price point - but it no longer matters.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 am 

Fone Bone wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

2 words: Transformers Prime.

Eh, I can't get past the stupid Earth kids. I watched a few episodes and gave it up. Plus only Generation 1 really holds my interest Transformers-wise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:13 am 
serves the Otter

Shellhead wrote:
Eh, I can't get past the stupid Earth kids. I watched a few episodes and gave it up. Plus only Generation 1 really holds my interest Transformers-wise.

Statements like this are why I never take you seriously. :P

Unwarranted personal insults aside :wink: , Prime is the best current cartoon on the air. Get past the kids and watch the entire first season. Your mind will be blown. We finally get the Optimus Prime / Megatron smackdown we have deserved for 30 years. Megatron is one of the best villains on television and Starscream is a riot. Young Justice WISHES it were Transformers Prime.

By the way, Generation One? Really? I'll admit the toys were WAAAYYYY better back then but the show itself was just plain awful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:05 am 
Variant Head

Honestly I find prime to be alot of hype. Its like they are always running around look for this or that but its hidden here and this guy has it wait theres more of them yadda yadda. I liked the series at first but it felt like it was spinning its tires and not really going anywhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next