Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel DC Failures Continue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:24 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

What Mattel can learn from Hasbro...

I look at Hasbro's Marvel lines, and you have legends and the 3.75-4.0"ers. I don't collect Marvel, so I think I can be unbiased here...
I see Capt America movie toys, Spiderman cartoon toys, Marvel Universe line, Comic Con Exclusives, Thor toys, etc... And they're all in scale with each other. They're not competing with themselves. It's all compatible. You don't have to buy Spiderman over and over again in different styles and scales.

And why can Hasbro release a dozen+ figures in a wave, but Mattel can do a whopping 4?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:43 pm 
Brand Manager

Van Statten wrote:
comicbookreader wrote:
It's over with.Let it be a learning experience and move on.

What's the lesson then, Teach... not to invest in Mattel DC lines? :lol: Ever?

Pretty much, yeah.

I've collected many Mattel lines in the past years. JLU (wich gave me more toys than I could think, yet it had some serious problems), Infinite Heroes (I remember like it was yesterday, they told the IH fans that the next year (2011) would be huge for them, and they simply cancelled the line, thanks), Brave and Bold (where's Flash, Shazam and the rest of the Justice League? Dont they sell to moms and dads???) and Young Justice (I don't even want to talk about it today). I can tell you for sure that I will not start any other DC Mattel collection anymore. I'm a HUGE DC fan. I've collected DC Direct figures for more than 10 years (and that's why I don't collect DCUC. I just buy a few of them. Anyway I have 50 figures or more by now), and I can tell you that I really love my DC figures. But i just can't continue with all the frustration. If a new show appears, I'll wait and see if they complete the team or give us enough villains and if they do it (wich usually doesn't happen), I'll buy them on Ebay. Of course there's the DC movie figures that I'll continue to buy as long as they continue to release them in the 6 inch scale with enough articulation and good sculpts, but that's it.

No new DC/Mattel collection for me. I've been collecting for 30 years now, and I think that I'll wait for Hasbro to make some great DC figures for my collection in the future.

:(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:45 pm 
Brand Manager

jzachery wrote:

Forget it. It's Mattel, they just can't learn :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:43 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

Magog wrote:
jzachery wrote:

Forget it. It's Mattel, they just can't learn :twisted:

LOL.

But really, the problem is they start the DCU over and over again in different scales and styles. DCUC = this is their 6" inch line, great. Cool.

Then we had JLU, Batman BATB, DCIH, YJ, and I think I'm missing one or two... The point is, I get tired of buying Superman over and over again (Insert JLU joke here). They should have just stuck with a rebranded animated style. And no, YJ is not it, it's an animated style, but it's too far off compatibility. With Hasbro, it all goes together.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:47 pm 
active in the community

You guys are definitely right. Their toys are all over the place regarding scale. They need to get it together. Will be interesting to see what they show in SDCC. Mattel needs to learn something from Hasbro and start focusing on two scales.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:50 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

3 3/4 would be the way to go, play off the idea kids can have their Hasbro Avengers fight the Mattel Justice League! And then have a 6" scale even if they're fewer like the Marvel stuff has a 6" scale even before the reemergence of Marvel Legends but always seemed a bit more scarce.

The DCIH Deathstroke was an amazing figure, well detailed and articulated, it struck me as a very Hasbro like figure. If they could just apply that much design to everyone it would rock. Because on that same peg hook you had a Guy Gardner which was just sad and a Wonder Girl which was like a cardboard cutout and stiff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:00 pm 
active in the community

Ha! Totally agree on the Deathstroke thing. Probably one of the best Infinite Heroes. One of the things I never understood about toy lines is how is a kid supposed to know who are the villains? They don't even show a picture of a hero fighting them. Mattel should work on that.

I would die if Hasbro got the license. I bet they'd bring the collect and connect back and still keep the sub and interact with fans more. And the 3 3/4 scale is a must for Mattel. When I go to retails I always find the section of DC to be a mess of way too many scales. Marvel's always seems to be organized and kids know what to focus on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:16 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I get what you guys are saying and I was even thinking about this yesterday. But... I can't blame Mattel for trying to be diverse and create several different styles to suit everyone's individual taste. I'd rather have them attempt different styles that could possibly fail than get stuck with one line like Infinite Heroes. I liked JLU and DC Retro Action. I thought YJ (as figures) was cool but I didn't like the show so it was a pass. I have zero desire for anything like DCUC or IH.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:22 pm 
Damage Control

jzachery wrote:

I look at Hasbro's Marvel lines, and you have legends and the 3.75-4.0"ers. I don't collect Marvel, so I think I can be unbiased here...
I see Capt America movie toys, Spiderman cartoon toys, Marvel Universe line, Comic Con Exclusives, Thor toys, etc... And they're all in scale with each other. They're not competing with themselves. It's all compatible. You don't have to buy Spiderman over and over again in different styles and scales.

And why can Hasbro release a dozen+ figures in a wave, but Mattel can do a whopping 4?

I hope that Mattel finally goes back to a DC Universe 3.75"-4.0" figure line like DC Universe Infinite Heroes. When Mattel released Young Justice they went with a 4.5" scale to match the Justice League Unlimited figures in size. So yeah, Mattel is all over the board when it comes to scale. 3.75", 4.0", 5.0", 6.5", 7.0"

Mattel launched both DC Universe Infinite Heroes and Young Justice with just 4 figures in the first wave. They jammed up the pegs at the retailers and caused both lines to get off to a bad start. I would have started these toy lines with at least 12 figures in the first wave. It gives a good variety and an instant collection even if retailers do not order beyond wave 1.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:41 pm 
serves the Otter

Van Statten wrote:
comicbookreader wrote:
It's over with.Let it be a learning experience and move on.

What's the lesson then, Teach... not to invest in Mattel DC lines? :lol: Ever?

Homer to Bart: "Well son, you tried and you failed. The lesson learned: Never try."

:P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:44 pm 
Damage Control

whakojacko1976 wrote:
I get what you guys are saying and I was even thinking about this yesterday. But... I can't blame Mattel for trying to be diverse and create several different styles to suit everyone's individual taste. I'd rather have them attempt different styles that could possibly fail than get stuck with one line like Infinite Heroes. I liked JLU and DC Retro Action. I thought YJ (as figures) was cool but I didn't like the show so it was a pass. I have zero desire for anything like DCUC or IH.

DC Universe Infinite Heroes allowed me to collect over 150 unique figures.
I would not mind if the line continues or is replaced by something similar in the 3.75"-4.0" scale.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:57 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

joeace wrote:
whakojacko1976 wrote:

DC Universe Infinite Heroes allowed me to collect over 150 unique figures.
I would not mind if the line continues or is replaced by something similar in the 3.75"-4.0" scale.

And that's my point. Not everyone likes the same style and scale. I'm not really sure one or two styles only are going to do any better than multiple lines.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:03 pm 
serves the Otter

If there was a Mattel 3.75" line in the exact same style as Hasbro's Marvel Universe line, including the volume of characters produced, then it would be a dream line to rival that of Super Powers. I'd be all over a toy line like that. DCIH however never appealed to me from day one. It looked cheap, like those off brand army soldier lines you see next to the big name lines at Walmart, which eventually end up at Big Lots.

Going to be real interesting seeing what Mattel shows at SDCC this year. Could be even more lackluster than NYTF was, and even more embarassing for them. Also are we getting any SDCC exclusives this year? Usually they reveal them in April... but with DCUC dead, JLU dead, and now YJ, I can't imagine there's any cool con exclusives planned. :(

Last edited by shabbyblue on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:20 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

shabbyblue wrote:
It looked cheap, like those off brand army soldier lines you see next to the big name lines at Walmart, which eventually end up at Big Lots.

That is a pretty good comparison lol.

Those Marvel Universe figures aren't bad. Too bad I practically hate Marvel Comics :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:36 pm 
Collector Inspector

Totally agree with joeace. People just forget or are unaware that the DCIH produced at the tail-end of the line were very very good : Deathstroke, Dr.Light, Heatwave, Trickster, Ravager, Firestorm, Mr. terrific, Black Adam with the cape, Aquaman (except for his paint job), Renegade, and many more. Some of those figures are as good as Marvel Universe, In my opinion. Some had above average sculpts like Hush, Croc, Mallah. Heck , we got Max lord! The unproduced prototypes still bring tears to my eyes.

Sadly, that first wave of Cap Marvel with the chunky hands, Guy , Zoom, etc is permanently etched into our minds. Mattel eventually, belatedly, owned up to that horrible launch (TG inherited that line).

Mattel can do it. They've shown that they can. I don't know, It depends if retailers want a comic line in that scale. I'd be all over it. Marvel Universe must be selling well, all my stores sell through the stuff. I always see casual shoppers pick up batman toys. They just have to preserve a good mix of Batman characters with the other characters. But for me it's not so much characters, it's distribution. If the toys are not on the pegs, a mom is just going to pick up a Spider-Man. I want DC toys to thrive at retail.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next