Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel DC Failures Continue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:03 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Is there any sort of a visual checklist for Infinite Heroes? Something like Ham Salad's JLU page :?:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:24 am 
Aspires to be #1

whakojacko1976 wrote:
Is there any sort of a visual checklist for Infinite Heroes? Something like Ham Salad's JLU page :?:

You could make one real quick. Just hit copy and paste about 15 times after you put the first Guy pic in the list haha.

Just kidding IH fans!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:24 am 
Brand Manager

funtime3 wrote:
Totally agree with joeace. People just forget or are unaware that the DCIH produced at the tail-end of the line were very very good : Deathstroke, Dr.Light, Heatwave, Trickster, Ravager, Firestorm, Mr. terrific, Black Adam with the cape, Aquaman (except for his paint job), Renegade, and many more. Some of those figures are as good as Marvel Universe, In my opinion. Some had above average sculpts like Hush, Croc, Mallah. Heck , we got Max lord! The unproduced prototypes still bring tears to my eyes.

Sadly, that first wave of Cap Marvel with the chunky hands, Guy , Zoom, etc is permanently etched into our minds. Mattel eventually, belatedly, owned up to that horrible launch (TG inherited that line).

Mattel can do it. They've shown that they can. I don't know, It depends if retailers want a comic line in that scale. I'd be all over it. Marvel Universe must be selling well, all my stores sell through the stuff. I always see casual shoppers pick up batman toys. They just have to preserve a good mix of Batman characters with the other characters. But for me it's not so much characters, it's distribution. If the toys are not on the pegs, a mom is just going to pick up a Spider-Man. I want DC toys to thrive at retail.

Amen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:25 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I don't usually do this as it is all opinion but it truly baffles me someone could think DCIH even towards the end could hold a candle to the MU figures. I mean come on. Really?

Mattel needs to quit fiddle farting around with the DCIH and GL style no articulation figures and do what Hasbro does. Hasbro even has the good sense to incorporate comic versions in with the movie versions. Mattel needs to build on Batman/Superman and they didn't with DCIH and the figures were subpar imo. That is why it failed. The first wavewas a bunch of C-listers imo except maybe Captain Marvel? Wasn't he in that wave. Your first wave needs to be your big guns.

whakojacko1976 wrote:

visual DCIH checklist http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery/al ... K-DCIH.jpg

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:54 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

ian5555 wrote:
I don't usually do this as it is all opinion but it truly baffles me someone could think DCIH even towards the end coudl hold a candle to the MU figures. I mean come on. Really?

Mattel needs to quit fiddle farting around with the DCIH and GL style no articulation figures and do what Hasbro does. Hasbro even has the good sense to incorporate comic versions in with the movie versions. Mattel needs to build on Batman/Superman and they didn't with DCIH and the figures were subpar imo. That is why it failed. The first wavewas a bunch of C-listers imo except maybe Captain Marvel? Wasn't he in that wave. Your first wave needs to be your big guns.

whakojacko1976 wrote:

visual DCIH checklist http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery/al ... K-DCIH.jpg

I wasn't even thinking about one of these poster-like checklist. Thanks.

Some of these figures look like they came from different lines. I almost think this scale was too small for Mattel to execute properly. Maybe if they had been about 4 1/2" tall? I don't know. Hasbro can do it with MU so why not Mattel? Back to the drawing board.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:57 am 
Collector Inspector

Errngghh. That checklist is not updated so I don't want people looking at it. I'm trying to protect DCIH's reputation. It's missing a ton of figures.

Marvel Universe is better, no one is taking that away from them. I said some of the DCIH are as good as Marvel U, they just weren't consistent. Marvel Universe was kinda overated around these parts for awhile. A lot of their figures, early figures, were pretty sad. And the paint applications were the worst in the toy aisle, I'll go to my grave with that assertion. They are better now of course. I like them more than Legends. But before Deathstroke came out, Mattel said in a Q and A that they were "working on a villain that is their most impressive figure yet." And they were right. The Public Enemies Batman and Superman figures were in the right direction. There was just no line harmony from the beginning. They need to nail that next time.

My kids are practically action figure aficionados with all my stuff sitting around. They like details on the figure, for sure, but not necessarily 100 points of articulation. They just don't care about the articulation. But, nevertheless, we need elbows and knees to bend.

They need to be well detailed, decent artic, don't make them frickin' $10.00 for no value( HOJ is just a flat piece plastic to those that kind find the other figures), keep rotating assortments like MU does, and most of all...HELP the retailers get the toys on the shelves. Hold their hands if you must. Send out reps. I know people find Mattel toys but I find it to be a struggle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 am 
An Insider

whakojacko1976 wrote:

As noted, that visual poster is incomplete as it is missing characters that came later.

I have an incomplete visual checklist on my website. I think that I have all of the characters listed on the release section but I haven't finished uploading photos.
http://www.joeacevedo.com/docs/figurezo ... heroes.htm

Even Wikipedia does not list them all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Univers ... ite_Heroes

Cool Toy Review
http://cooltoyreview.com/Mattel_DCIH.asp

There was another site that had a decent listing but the bookmark is on my other computer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:42 am 
declined to be a vampire

Eh. I don't like all the articulation and horrible leg joints on those marvel figures. I agree that they look pretty good, but one reason I quit buying them was I got tired of all the extra articulation. I like articulation, but I just thought they did too much on the Marvel figures.

I love the collection of DCUC I have. I don't want it to end. But Mattel obviously could use a lesson on the 4 inch figures if they are going to make them.

Far_Night wrote:
Ha! Totally agree on the Deathstroke thing. Probably one of the best Infinite Heroes. One of the things I never understood about toy lines is how is a kid supposed to know who are the villains? They don't even show a picture of a hero fighting them. Mattel should work on that.

I would die if Hasbro got the license. I bet they'd bring the collect and connect back and still keep the sub and interact with fans more. And the 3 3/4 scale is a must for Mattel. When I go to retails I always find the section of DC to be a mess of way too many scales. Marvel's always seems to be organized and kids know what to focus on.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:19 am 
Collector Inspector

I mention this all the time, but this free iTunes app has complete checklists for all DC lines including Classics, Infinite Heroes, DC Direct, Super Powers, Young Justice, Action League and I think JLU. I love it. You should all get it if you have a phone or device, It's really handy.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/collection-dc-edition/id383186622?mt=8

They even have the prototypes, DVD figures, Con exclusives, variants and unreleased figures on the DCIH checklist.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:34 am 
categorically opposed

Far_Night wrote:
I would die if Hasbro got the license. I bet they'd bring the collect and connect back and still keep the sub and interact with fans more. And the 3 3/4 scale is a must for Mattel. When I go to retails I always find the section of DC to be a mess of way too many scales. Marvel's always seems to be organized and kids know what to focus on.

There is absolutely no indication that Hasbro would interact with fans more than Mattel does. They have zero contact with their fans outside of conventions. I'd argue that Mattel's open door relationship with their fans has become their undoing.

Unfortunately, until DC/WB gets their act together, DC product at mass retail is always going to be shaky. Marvel is lightyears ahead of DC in that regard, and that trickles down to their toys.

Hell, even DC Direct is down to doing one action figure a month, and they're not even supported by retail!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:08 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Exactly MoMoney. Hell if it was me in a business I'd be like f-u fans we are doing what we think makes us the most $$. Hasbro does the fan requested stuff but their model is we are going to make what we think sells and that is how it is going to be. They don't always choose right imo but they do a good job.

I think WB wanted GL to be their Iron Man and it wasn't.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:39 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Warner needed that movie to be Iron Man which was what makes it even more disappointing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:13 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Im all for the bashing of Mattel mishandling yet another line-- but as much as I prefer a Hasbro product and would love for them to get the license. But even they arent all roses-- their lines although compatible with each other have just as many failures..
--Wolverine and the X-Men came out with a bang and then wave 2 and 3 had about 3 figures a piece and some of those were pretty much just repaints (never completed the core team from that series)
---The animated Iron Man series of figures only got out one wave (possibly 2)
--SHS/Galactic Heroes was abandoned for the crappy Imaginext model-- (more articulation- but less than 2 waves worth of new product a year (Star Wars had a year between releases)-- And not to mention about 20 different figures shown at different cons that never saw the light of day (are tooled and when "protos" pop on ebay still go for over 75.00 a piece-- and I think Kraven tops most of the unproduced JLU items out there in price --
-- Overordered Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull figures.
---Duke and Winter Destro in every single case of G.I.Joes
- A spiderman line with which seems about 50 spiderman figures (most are goofy made up ones) and only 6-8 villians ( 2 of which are the crappy newer version that no one wants (Doc Ock with a Goatee--)-some of which were impossible to find (still looking for the new Venom)
Even the Mighty Star Wars-- several announced vehicles that went to production and didnt even make it into the States- (and then the decision to keep repacking old vehicles over and over again)---

But that being said-- at least all of my hasbro figures are standing upright (even if they need a stand)-- not doing the limbo...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:20 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

j1h15233 wrote:
rono wrote:
They could have done Firefly earlier or Black Mask or Hugo Strange or Maxie Zeus or Mad Hatter

To the common shopper at retail (which is their audience), these characters are no different than a disco brainiac or a Kamandi.

You sure about that? How many lines have "Adult Collector" written on the package?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:12 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

joeace wrote:
whakojacko1976 wrote:

As noted, that visual poster is incomplete as it is missing characters that came later.

I have an incomplete visual checklist on my website. I think that I have all of the characters listed on the release section but I haven't finished uploading photos.
http://www.joeacevedo.com/docs/figurezo ... heroes.htm

Even Wikipedia does not list them all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Univers ... ite_Heroes

Cool Toy Review
http://cooltoyreview.com/Mattel_DCIH.asp

There was another site that had a decent listing but the bookmark is on my other computer.

Thank you! I will check all of those out when I get a sec. Thanks to funtime3 too for the phone app.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next