Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel DC Failures Continue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:48 pm 
An Insider

whakojacko1976 wrote:
joeace wrote:

As noted, that visual poster is incomplete as it is missing characters that came later.

I have an incomplete visual checklist on my website. I think that I have all of the characters listed on the release section but I haven't finished uploading photos.
http://www.joeacevedo.com/docs/figurezo ... heroes.htm

Even Wikipedia does not list them all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Univers ... ite_Heroes

Cool Toy Review
http://cooltoyreview.com/Mattel_DCIH.asp

There was another site that had a decent listing but the bookmark is on my other computer.

Thank you! I will check all of those out when I get a sec. Thanks to funtime3 too for the phone app.

Here is one from DC Collector.
http://www.dccollectoruniverse.com/dcga ... te-heroes/

Marvellegends.net used to have one but they took it down or moved it somewhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:04 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

What baffles me is the lack of two-packs to sell villains. Mom and dad can buy a "set" like that at Christmas for little Johnny, and all of us will snap them up (at half-way reasonable prices) just for the non-single-carded villain.

I would have paid $30 for a Batman/Penguin DCIH 2-pack. No lie. (I realize it would have been overpriced.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:31 am 
Collector Inspector

So I noticed that some have been asking "Why hasn't Mattel made a detailed & cool 3 3/4" figure like the Marvel Universe, Captain, America, Iron Man and G.I.JOE lines." They did try with DCIH but they were sub par. So my question is why haven't they. I know some love to say Mattel is dumb but that just isn't the case. So there has to be something keeping them from doing so. Could Hasbro own a patent keeping other companies from making figures that are similar in articulation and design?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

DC doesn't have the kids, it's that simple, so Mattel is limited in what they can do. Hasbro is lucky that there is a constant barrage of Marvel movies right now, blockbuster hits. You see Thor, Hulk, Iron man and Captain America stuff everywhere and it has been that way since Iron Man came out in 2008.

Robert Downey Jr imo saved the Marvel movies or at least escalated them. If Iron Man hadn't been the blockbiuster it was we'd not be seeing Avengers in a few weeks. DC needs that "Iron Man" movie to get their characters back into popular culture. GL and Superman Returns bombed and the Dark Knight went a direction that was way to dark.

Until Mattel is able too and does a line like Marvel Universe I think their lines will fail. DCIH was a joke as to what you should be able to do these days with a 3 3/4 inch figure imo. I really wanted to like those figures but come on those were 70/80's type figures and although well sculpted the YJ figures are no better.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:47 am 
Aspires to be #1

DC needs to scrap this Superman movie and do a refresh on their entire movie project landscape. Once Dark Knight is over, they need to create a movie universe where all of their heroes could interact with one another. Marvel has laid out the formula and DC needs to follow it. Of course, they have had over 75 years to get their characters to the level that Batman has risen to and they haven't been able to do that with any of the others so I don't really have any faith that they could pull it off now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:54 am 
An Insider

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:
So I noticed that some have been asking "Why hasn't Mattel made a detailed & cool 3 3/4" figure like the Marvel Universe, Captain, America, Iron Man and G.I.JOE lines." They did try with DCIH but they were sub par. So my question is why haven't they. I know some love to say Mattel is dumb but that just isn't the case. So there has to be something keeping them from doing so. Could Hasbro own a patent keeping other companies from making figures that are similar in articulation and design?

Mattel had said that they were going to give their 3.75"-4.0" DCIH line a rest and then come back to it later on. Well I think that it's about time they start these up again considering how long it takes to get figures from planning stage to retail market.

It could be that Hasbro owns patents on certain designs for joints and articulation that force other toy makers to come up with different versions.

I would like to see Mattel take their DC Universe Classics sculpts and bring them down to the 3.75"-4.0" scale.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:37 am 
Cold-cast

For what it's worth, I think its admirable that Mattel is at least planning to get the unreleased figures out through Mattycollector. I think the real question is why are the DC figures (sans Batman and Superman) failing at retail?

For Mattel's part, I think they failed mainly in pricing these things too high. Secondly, I think Mattel's distribution system is horrible. For some of these toys most people would never even know they made it to market let alone having a chance to buy them.

On DC's part, they have relied way too heavily on Batman and Superman. Why not use Batman and Superman to elevate the lesser known characters? What DC really needs is a quality live action Justice League movie, new Bruce Timm JL series, or a Pixar-style big budget CGI Justice League movie. Let the kids show up for Batman and Superman, while introducing the second stringers like Flash, WW and Green Lantern.

DC should also take lesson from Marvel's persistence with Hulk. With two lackluster solo movies, they didn't give up and Hulk might just make a comeback with the Avengers movie. So DC, if you are listening, don't give up on Green Lantern because the first movie wasn't very good. Just make a better GL!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:53 am 
Aspires to be #1

A partnership between DC Animation and Pixar would be amazing and could probably turn out better and faster than any live action movie they could put together.

Pixar has shown that animation can make just as much as live action anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

http://www.itsalltrue.net/?p=17905
Great editorial by Noisy who rightfully suggest that DC has equal if not more blame to shoulder than Mattel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:06 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

j1h15233 wrote:
A partnership between DC Animation and Pixar would be amazing and could probably turn out better and faster than any live action movie they could put together.

The odds of that ever happening (which I bet are worse than almost anything else I could come up with) would be some of the biggest blockbuster entertainment news ever-- not the fact that Pixar would make a DC movie-- the fact that as in bed as Pixar is with Disney (who owns Marvel- and honestly I forget what the deal with who owns what part of Pixar)- it would pretty much be just like cheating on your wife. Especially with the rumors that Disney is planning on doing a CGI Marvel movie in the next two years..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:39 am 
Cold-cast

abuddah wrote:
http://www.itsalltrue.net/?p=17905
Great editorial by Noisy who rightfully suggest that DC has equal if not more blame to shoulder than Mattel

Great article! Thanks for the link. Noisy articulated some of my feelings very well about DC's failings.

If Pixar can make a generic toy car, a generic toy cowboy, and a generic team of superheroes popular, just think what DC could do if they poured the same resources and quality into their rich universe of characters. Could you imagine a Pixar movie based on the New Gods or Sandman? How about a Kingdom Come CGI movie?

Either Marvel or DC could create a CGI movie for kids and teens that could be a total game changer. And recent rumors seem to suggest that Marvel will be first on this as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:38 pm 
Aspires to be #1

stewbacca wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

The odds of that ever happening (which I bet are worse than almost anything else I could come up with) would be some of the biggest blockbuster entertainment news ever-- not the fact that Pixar would make a DC movie-- the fact that as in bed as Pixar is with Disney (who owns Marvel- and honestly I forget what the deal with who owns what part of Pixar)- it would pretty much be just like cheating on your wife. Especially with the rumors that Disney is planning on doing a CGI Marvel movie in the next two years..

I'm pretty sure Pixar is it's own company within the Disney umbrella so yea it's pretty much an impossible idea but it would be fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:30 pm 
An Insider

batfink wrote:
For what it's worth, I think its admirable that Mattel is at least planning to get the unreleased figures out through Mattycollector. I think the real question is why are the DC figures (sans Batman and Superman) failing at retail?

For Mattel's part, I think they failed mainly in pricing these things too high. Secondly, I think Mattel's distribution system is horrible. For some of these toys most people would never even know they made it to market let alone having a chance to buy them.

Many times I've been in the toy aisle and watched as parents look for a Superman, Batman or Robin figure, only to find none available. They are the big names that DC Comics has for merchandising. However there are more and more parents that grew up with Superheroes and now know many of the other comic characters from comics, TV or movies. They may even sit down and watch the cartoon shows that their children are watching, and learning about the characters as a result.

Retailers are going to want an item that their customers want to buy. That is why you have to give them Superman, Batman and Robin to satisfy the customer. If the retailer sees that the toys are not selling, they do not order the next wave. Not enough orders means no new production of toys.

Mattel should do their best to cut costs and still maintain a profit margin on their toys, but ultimately the Retailer decides what the register price is. As far as distribution goes, once Mattel sells the figures to the Retailer, it's the retailer's distribution system that takes over and not Mattel. Mattel just has to worry about the distribution of figures sold on it's online websites.

I think that Mattel has to establish a better relationship with their retailers regarding the DC Comics properties. The retailers got stung with DC lines that did not sell well or had the sales decline over time. Toys R Us got stung with DCIH series 1 and did not order any other waves other than the TRU exclusive boxed sets that they carried.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:38 pm 
Aspires to be #1

joeace wrote:
batfink wrote:

Many times I've been in the toy aisle and watched as parents look for a Superman, Batman or Robin figure, only to find none available. They are the big names that DC Comics has for merchandising. However there are more and more parents that grew up with Superheroes and now know many of the other comic characters from comics, TV or movies. They may even sit down and watch the cartoon shows that their children are watching, and learning about the characters as a result.

Retailers are going to want an item that their customers want to buy. That is why you have to give them Superman, Batman and Robin to satisfy the customer. If the retailer sees that the toys are not selling, they do not order the next wave. Not enough orders means no new production of toys.

Mattel should do their best to cut costs and still maintain a profit margin on their toys, but ultimately the Retailer decides what the register price is. As far as distribution goes, once Mattel sells the figures to the Retailer, it's the retailer's distribution system that takes over and not Mattel. Mattel just has to worry about the distribution of figures sold on it's online websites.

I think that Mattel has to establish a better relationship with their retailers regarding the DC Comics properties. The retailers got stung with DC lines that did not sell well or had the sales decline over time. Toys R Us got stung with DCIH series 1 and did not order any other waves other than the TRU exclusive boxed sets that they carried.

This makes me even more sad that JLU never got a Robin.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:06 pm 
shirtless hugger

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:

I don't think so, how do you Patent articulation? Mattel COULD put out a IH figure with the same quality as Hasbo's Marvel figures, but they never did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next