Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel DC Failures Continue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:04 am 
Former King of Posts

JuliusMarx wrote:
Here's what Mattel has - actually market numbers.
Here's what fans have - a lot of speculation and personal opinion.

Except that some of us are more than casual fans. We've participated in the process to some degree. I worked in the QA dept at Hasbro for 6 years and kept my ears open, absorbing everything I could. Market numbers are based on past sales. The question is not just past sales, but why were past sales lower than sales needed to move forward. Marketing can also be observed by watching what has worked in other lines. I maintain my position that character selection was bad.

Batman should have been in the first wave of singles. There should have been multiple versions of Robin. Robin should have been the focus of the line.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:17 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I concur, it has been poor character selection that plagues Mattel's DC lines for some time. Their decline proves my point. Young Justice should have had a much longer shelf life if the figures were more appealing. JMO.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:06 pm 
declined to be a vampire

GeekVarietyDotCom wrote:
JuliusMarx wrote:
It can't be that successful... they just laid off 300 people... including the brand manager for Marvel Universe.

Come on now, you now or at least you should know, that layoffs don't mean something is not successful. A company is beholden to the shareholders and will do whatever they have to so the numbers are always in the plus column.

The line has been successful and layoffs could account for any number of variables.

Lets all remember, correlation does not imply causation.

Marvel Legends the first time didn't hit 21 waves. It went away, came back, and (at least in my area) isn't selling.

While you are correct that layoffs don't mean something is successful, canning the brand manager isn't a good sign.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:14 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

He could have told off the wrong person, you never know why someone gets fired.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:26 pm 
categorically opposed

Bunger43 wrote:
Marvel Legends the first time didn't hit 21 waves. It went away, came back, and (at least in my area) isn't selling.

While you are correct that layoffs don't mean something is successful, canning the brand manager isn't a good sign.

It's not selling here, either. My local Walmart hasn't gotten in any more shipments since the first one hit back in, what, February? There's still four figures languishing on the pegs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:51 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Batman was in the first wave of 2 packs, which hit the same time as the singles. Robin was also in the set.

They are 4 waves in with singles and 3 waves in with 2packs and there are 3 different versions of Robin. 4 if you count the 6" figure.

The line failed because kids weren't watching it because it was on at a weird time on a Friday night. Now that it's on Saturday morning it's doing markedly better.

It's a shame Mattel couldn't have held out until season 2 was underway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:18 am 
declined to be a vampire

MoMoney wrote:
Bunger43 wrote:

It's not selling here, either. My local Walmart hasn't gotten in any more shipments since the first one hit back in, what, February? There's still four figures languishing on the pegs.

The only figure I haven't seen (and coincidently enough the only figure I want) is Steve Rogers. Every other figure is sitting.

And the price differences in those are horrible too.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:27 am 
Aspires to be #1

JuliusMarx wrote:
Batman was in the first wave of 2 packs, which hit the same time as the singles. Robin was also in the set.

They are 4 waves in with singles and 3 waves in with 2packs and there are 3 different versions of Robin. 4 if you count the 6" figure.

The line failed because kids weren't watching it because it was on at a weird time on a Friday night. Now that it's on Saturday morning it's doing markedly better.

On Saturday morning and airing regularly. Two VERY important things. I still remember when JLU was actually on and I could never catch it. It moved around so much on the schedule that I never knew when it was going to be on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:32 am 
Brand Manager

JuliusMarx wrote:

And that's the most sad part. I already watched the season 1 final episodes, and believe me, it's as goos as JLU season 1. Not to mention it shows more DC heroes that could be released as figures later in the line. Really sad. :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:44 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Magog wrote:
And that's the most sad part. I already watched the season 1 final episodes, and believe me, it's as good as JLU season 1.

Humbly, but emphatically, disagree.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 am 
Aspires to be #1

Backward Galaxy wrote:
Magog wrote:
And that's the most sad part. I already watched the season 1 final episodes, and believe me, it's as good as JLU season 1.

Humbly, but emphatically, disagree.

I'm with you. Young Justice is a fantastic show but JLU had years of Timmverse show it was building on. Unless YJ can last 3,4 or 5 seasons, I don't think they'll compare.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:54 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

It's better than Justice League, but not quite at the best of JLU.

Sadly, I don't think it'll last as long. :(

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:02 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

ian5555 wrote:
And it will only get worse for DC as they have Man of Steel in the works and Marvel has Captain America 2, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Deadpool, Amazing Spider-man 2 and The Wolverine.

DC needs movies.

The End.

You forgot Elektra and Jonah Hex-- (among some other non superhero properties like the Losers)-- just saying..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:05 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

stewbacca wrote:
ian5555 wrote:
And it will only get worse for DC as they have Man of Steel in the works and Marvel has Captain America 2, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Deadpool, Amazing Spider-man 2 and The Wolverine.

DC needs movies.

The End.

You forgot Elektra and Jonah Hex-- (among some other non superhero properties like the Losers)-- just saying..

Thanks, but as I said in my post I limited my list to your more A-B Listers. I don't consider Elektra or Jonah Hex your main stream type super heroes that would sell toys to kids and collectors. I'd consider movies like Blade or Watchmen to fall into the same category as well.

I got the list from here if anyone wants to look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Am ... hero_films . You can see Marvel is dominating with movies lately and that imo is why they dominate in the isles. The best thing for us collectors is for kids to be into the figures too and right now they are all over Marvel and not DC products.

I don't consider JL or DCUC failures but imo that is why DC has not been as good with action figures as Marvel. Movies. Movies get kids and kids = sales.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:49 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

ian5555 wrote:
DC needs movies.

The End.

I agree fully, but we're unlikely to see the same quantity as the Marvel movies. I think it comes down to the movie studio. Marvel Studios produced most of the movies on that list, except Spider-Man (Sony) and X-Men (Fox). They were willing to make smaller films, with lower budgets, and a modest profit, and be satisfied with them.

DC, on the other hand, is part and parcel of the Time-Warner behemoth. For whatever reason, T-W demands huge blockbusters - giant budget, huge marketing push, lots of tie-ins, enormous box office numbers. Superman Returns made a healthy profit, and even Green Lantern came out in the black. But, alas, T-W isn't content with modest profits. Unless it's a guaranteed event movie, I'm afraid we won't see any DC movies. Forget about The Flash, Green Arrow, even Wonder Woman.

You'd think that being part of Disney, they would also demand nothing but Marvel blockbusters, but somehow they continue to green-light modest movies like Ghost Rider and Doctor Strange. I'd love it if Time-Warner cold be happy with mid-level successes, but that will probably require some kind of corporate culture shift. Alas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next