Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:19 am 
Master of the Interwebs

The Superfly wrote:
40%-larger helmet that floats above the head?

overstretched collar?

manboobs?

It almost sounds like there's a Seinfeld theme there.

The Superfly wrote:
goofy Bakula-esque face?

Looks more like Dustin Hoffman with a hint of Tom Bergeron.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:46 am 
declined to be a vampire

Unless Mattel pulls something completely out of their ass, I won't be renewing my sub. Some of their excuses for tooling, and then a few of the things you said below (bolded) are enough for me to just pass, and try to find whatever figures are "must haves" for me next year through secondary sources. On top of that (and this part is totally on me, not mattel)...I'm not impressed with their figure selection. You are telling me that horrible retooled catwoman figure from the batman legacy line would've sold better than poison ivy? Or Black Mask even for that matter. You have a batman themed line and you want to stick us with TWO Batman themed characters in the sub? That just doesn't fly with me. Batman figures will sell at retail, and I think it was just a lazy excuse to throw stuff in the sub people had asked for.

GoldBlade6 wrote:
The thing that pisses me off most about these releases is that I bought into this subscription blind and, as this is aimed solely at collectors, and Mattel has all the time in the world to develop these offerings, these figures should be 100% perfect. I shouldn't be getting a Flash that's too big and an Atrocitus that's too small.

What's worse is that Mattel's first few offerings from this subscription are going to be what people base their decisions on when they consider ordering a subscription after SDCC!

Mattel has proven almost totally unwilling to show collectors product in advance enough to make changes, but why not? Why can't we be allowed to give input? Why shouldn't we? We're the ones paying for the work! If we're essentially commissioning a product, shouldn't we have at least a little more oversight or control? Our subscription fees make this possible, but if we're not happy with the product, and Mattel doesn't work with us more, why would we continue to hire Mattel to make these figures for us?

The hand situation on Mirror Master and Poison Ivy should have been pretty easy to fix - in fact, we shouldn't have even needed to ask for a fix! I don't care if it were the Horsemen or Mattel. Someone with a brain should have done something about it.

Yeah, we're getting more characters, so I guess if that's all you care about, and you don't care about shelling out your (presumably) hard-earned cash on sub-par product, then you're on Cloud Nine, but I'm not impressed. Marvel Legends, and especially Figuarts, keep looking better and better to me...and I don't like being able to say that. :|

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:57 am 
Aspires to be #1

Bunger43 wrote:
I think it was just a lazy excuse to throw stuff in the sub people had asked for.

So should they throw figures in the sub that we didn't ask for?

I think I'll withhold my judgement on the 2013 sub until SDCC. At that point, we'll know and see all of the 2012 figures and find out some of the 2013 figures. Mattel has done a good job with the sub so far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:03 am 
declined to be a vampire

You buy a sub, you don't know what you're getting, right? I think maybe even I've read you say that over the course of the sub debates (if I'm wrong, I apologize). My point is, I think both Poison Ivy and Black Mask would've sold pretty well under the "Legacy Batman" line, and other clamored for figures could've been put in the sub (if you want Batman themed figures for the sub, Huntress seemed to be pretty popular).

I also think that the last 2 years of the DCUC stuff was half assed. You are telling me in the last 4-5 waves they couldn't have popped in another doom patrol or metal men...thus keeping us from having to use sub spots for them?

We all have our opinions, and that's what leads to sales. I don't think it's been managed well (and I know that's not completely on Mattel), but I'm just not impressed by any means...and it's my money that's being spent. Thankfully someone here has committed to buying all my sub figures keeping me from the hassle of eBay, etc.

I figure I'll spend less money and be happier if I just get the figures I want from some other avenue, as opposed to giving my money out blindly (again, that's on me) towards something that, to date, I think has sucked. I hope that changes, because I want more figures just like everyone else. I want the sub to do well so we can all get what we want, but I'm not willing to (at this point) give my money towards it for the sake of everyone else getting what they want. I'm a nice guy, but not that nice.

j1h15233 wrote:
So should they throw figures in the sub that we didn't ask for?

I think I'll withhold my judgement on the 2013 sub until SDCC. At that point, we'll know and see all of the 2012 figures and find out some of the 2013 figures. Mattel has done a good job with the sub so far as I'm concerned.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:28 am 
Aspires to be #1

Bunger43 wrote:
You buy a sub, you don't know what you're getting, right? I think maybe even I've read you say that over the course of the sub debates (if I'm wrong, I apologize). My point is, I think both Poison Ivy and Black Mask would've sold pretty well under the "Legacy Batman" line, and other clamored for figures could've been put in the sub (if you want Batman themed figures for the sub, Huntress seemed to be pretty popular).

I also think that the last 2 years of the DCUC stuff was half assed. You are telling me in the last 4-5 waves they couldn't have popped in another doom patrol or metal men...thus keeping us from having to use sub spots for them?

We all have our opinions, and that's what leads to sales. I don't think it's been managed well (and I know that's not completely on Mattel), but I'm just not impressed by any means...and it's my money that's being spent. Thankfully someone here has committed to buying all my sub figures keeping me from the hassle of eBay, etc.

I figure I'll spend less money and be happier if I just get the figures I want from some other avenue, as opposed to giving my money out blindly (again, that's on me) towards something that, to date, I think has sucked. I hope that changes, because I want more figures just like everyone else. I want the sub to do well so we can all get what we want, but I'm not willing to (at this point) give my money towards it for the sake of everyone else getting what they want. I'm a nice guy, but not that nice.

I'm not arguing any of your points there, but I also think Poison Ivy was a great choice and I'd rather have her in the sub than at retail to avoid the warping problem I saw with so many retail figures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:37 am 
declined to be a vampire

Fair enough...although

1. I think they are getting the warping thing fixed
2. I'll believe the warping problem is fixed when I get my sub figures and they aren't warped :)

j1h15233 wrote:
Bunger43 wrote:

I'm not arguing any of your points there, but I also think Poison Ivy was a great choice and I'd rather have her in the sub than at retail to avoid the warping problem I saw with so many retail figures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:17 am 
categorically opposed

Bunger43 wrote:

Poison Ivy would have, but Black Mask? No one outside of geeks knows who he is. He wouldn't have sold any better than the other no-names that were in the line. And to be honest, with the way that Catwoman (and, to a lesser degree, First Appearance Batman) is just rotting on the pegs around here, I have to wonder about Poison Ivy's viability, as well.

Regardless, the decision to put Poison Ivy in the sub was a last ditch effort to help sales spike. If she hadn't been slotted, the sub sales would have been way too low for them to move forward.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:54 am 
declined to be a vampire

I disagree about black mask. Not so much about his popularity and being known, but he's a much cooler looking villain than say...Captain Cold. I don't think he would've been a beg warmer.

But you may be right on the last set of Legacy waves and what would've had sat. But the point is: What motivation was there to put out a classics Catwoman vs Poison Ivy? Ivy would've sold, and if not, then there would've been plenty of her to get for those who wanter her, without taking up a sub space for a figure who ideally fit into a niche line that was already being produced.

As for sub sales being low...why Poison Ivy? I don't buy that at all. There are a myriad of characters they could've chosen to help with the sales spikes...and if they wanted to use a batman character it seems a lot of people wanted Red Hood, etc (or any character that would've contributed towards finishing a team). I think she was a very poor choice for a figure for the sub, just my .02.

MoMoney wrote:
Bunger43 wrote:

Poison Ivy would have, but Black Mask? No one outside of geeks knows who he is. He wouldn't have sold any better than the other no-names that were in the line. And to be honest, with the way that Catwoman (and, to a lesser degree, First Appearance Batman) is just rotting on the pegs around here, I have to wonder about Poison Ivy's viability, as well.

Regardless, the decision to put Poison Ivy in the sub was a last ditch effort to help sales spike. If she hadn't been slotted, the sub sales would have been way too low for them to move forward.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:13 am 
Aspires to be #1

Ivy is arguably the most or one of the most demanded characters missing from the line. Without her inclusion in the sub, we wouldn't have a sub and would have almost nothing coming from DC this year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:17 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
Ivy is arguably the most or one of the most demanded characters missing from the line. Without her inclusion in the sub, we wouldn't have a sub and would have almost nothing coming from DC this year.

I just don't agree with that (the sub part). high demand? Sure. Only reason we got the sub? Nah. We got the sub because people like me (who were bleh on it to begin with) broke down and got it (And I'm not saying I'm special, but a lot of people finally broke down after that last extension and just did it). And I sure as hell didn't originally purchase the sub because of her. I know a lot of other people who feel the same way. Were there people who did? Sure. But a lot of people got it for the "okay, let's give this a shot and see what happens" ideal...not because of Poison Ivy.

Maybe she was the saving grace based on what was announced, but there could've been a flashier lineup where her inclusion would've been moot. All of us have different expectations, likes, and dislikes. But to say without Ivy we don't have a sub, I think, is really naive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 am 
declined to be a vampire

On the flip side, Joel...I hope what we see at SDCC blows my mind and makes me want to give more money to mattel. I really do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:28 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

For the most part, I'm happy with the sub so far.

Bunger, you've been very clear you're not happy about the selection.

My question to you is simple: What would have been "good choices" in your opinion? Who would have passed muster?

So far we've gotten a JSA member, a Legion member, a GLverse member, a New World member, a JLI member, a highly demanded female baddie, and two members of the Metal men.

That's quite a diverse selection IMO. :wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:57 am 
5" Scale

Shellhead wrote:

My question to you is simple: What would have been "good choices" in your opinion? Who would have passed muster?

So far we've gotten a JSA member, a Legion member, a GLverse member, a New World member, a JLI member, a highly demanded female baddie, and two members of the Metal men.

dont forget a Flash Rogue as well and another bat villain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:58 am 
Aspires to be #1

Bunger43 wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

I just don't agree with that (the sub part). high demand? Sure. Only reason we got the sub? Nah. We got the sub because people like me (who were bleh on it to begin with) broke down and got it (And I'm not saying I'm special, but a lot of people finally broke down after that last extension and just did it). And I sure as hell didn't originally purchase the sub because of her. I know a lot of other people who feel the same way. Were there people who did? Sure. But a lot of people got it for the "okay, let's give this a shot and see what happens" ideal...not because of Poison Ivy.

Maybe she was the saving grace based on what was announced, but there could've been a flashier lineup where her inclusion would've been moot. All of us have different expectations, likes, and dislikes. But to say without Ivy we don't have a sub, I think, is really naive.

Agree to disagree then I guess. I feel like the announcement of Ivy really pushed a lot of people over the edge. We still didn't get anywhere near the original numbers they wanted anyway so even if 2012 blows it out of the water and 2013 has perfect selections, we may not reach a number they can live with for a second year. I know one thing, if they don't promote the sub with more fervor than they've promoted anything else in the last 5 years, then it will fail.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 am 
Aspires to be #1

fball13z wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

dont forget a Flash Rogue as well and another bat villain

I think as far as diversity and team building, they've made excellent choices. As far as the actual characters chosen, you can make arguments that they could be better or that they're great.

And don't forget that Starman can technically double for Legion and JSA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next