Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 am 
User avatar
5" Scale
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1772
Location: ATL, GA
j1h15233 wrote:
I know one thing, if they don't promote the sub with more fervor than they've promoted anything else in the last 5 years, then it will fail.


This is the biggest thing, and we know last year it was a last minute thing and it really fell on the DC fans to spread the word to get that sub even to the level it got to.

And of course Ivy pushed a good people over the edge.

I hope we really see mattel push this thing, I mean look how much pushing and press they did for the Hoverboard, thats what I want for the DC sub


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:09 am 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12566
Location: College Station, TX
fball13z wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
I know one thing, if they don't promote the sub with more fervor than they've promoted anything else in the last 5 years, then it will fail.


This is the biggest thing, and we know last year it was a last minute thing and it really fell on the DC fans to spread the word to get that sub even to the level it got to.

And of course Ivy pushed a good people over the edge.

I hope we really see mattel push this thing, I mean look how much pushing and press they did for the Hoverboard, thats what I want for the DC sub


The thing they need to understand is that promoting the sub on their site, or on G4 or in comics is good but it's not reaching anyone new. The people who visit their site, who read their comics, and who are watching G4 already know about it. They need to find a way to reach people who are DC fans but who aren't online seeing this stuff. Maybe put some inserts in the batman toys this summer, or get a commercial on DC Nation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:52 am 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
Have you ever tried to explain the subscription to someone who is not us? They look at you like you're A) insane or B) making it up.

I'd like to see Mattel make the concept of a subscription a household term. Sell it the parents with examples like never getting the figures you want on the pegs. Always hunting down figures your kid wants. And driving the point home now those figures will show up on your doorstep every month!

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:28 am 
User avatar
5" Scale
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1772
Location: ATL, GA
Van Statten wrote:
Have you ever tried to explain the subscription to someone who is not us? They look at you like you're A) insane or B) making it up.

I'd like to see Mattel make the concept of a subscription a household term. Sell it the parents with examples like never getting the figures you want on the pegs. Always hunting down figures your kid wants. And driving the point home now those figures will show up on your doorstep every month!


but thats just it, the sub is suppose to be for us, its not suppose to be explained to moms and dads


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:48 am 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
No kidding, really? :roll: What I'm saying is if people are talking about marketing this outside of comics, G4 and their website... you know the places where we're going to see it... evidently there isn't enough of us in the target group if you need to market this outside those areas... BUT if you took the subscription to the next level. The whole concept of a subscription could be sold to parents.

I think character recognition is only half the problem at retail. The figures also have to look cool! Atrocitus has gotten mad reviews from the kids in the neighborhood that my son brings home. Hardly anyone knows who he is but they don't care, they want to know him because he just looks cool. Just pack those subscriptions with interesting looking and well known characters and you could sell it to anyone.

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:00 am 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
Bunger43 wrote:
I disagree about black mask. Not so much about his popularity and being known, but he's a much cooler looking villain than say...Captain Cold. I don't think he would've been a beg warmer.

"Cool looking" doesn't always translate into sales.

Bunger43 wrote:
As for sub sales being low...why Poison Ivy? I don't buy that at all. There are a myriad of characters they could've chosen to help with the sales spikes...and if they wanted to use a batman character it seems a lot of people wanted Red Hood, etc (or any character that would've contributed towards finishing a team). I think she was a very poor choice for a figure for the sub, just my .02.

Because they likely already had approval for inclusion in Batman Legacy. They all but said that at SDCC, hinting at a variant between her green and caucasian skintones. It was a really quick fix - throw in a highly-requested figure, help spike sub sales, then we can go into the obscure.

Who would you have tossed in to hook buyers?

I see that nothing is ever going to change your perspective on this, though, so I'm done.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:09 am 
User avatar
5" Scale
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1772
Location: ATL, GA
Van Statten wrote:
No kidding, really? :roll: What I'm saying is if people are talking about marketing this outside of comics, G4 and their website... you know the places where we're going to see it... evidently there isn't enough of us in the target group if you need to market this outside those areas... BUT if you took the subscription to the next level. The whole concept of a subscription could be sold to parents.

I think character recognition is only half the problem at retail. The figures also have to look cool! Atrocitus has gotten mad reviews from the kids in the neighborhood that my son brings home. Hardly anyone knows who he is but they don't care, they want to know him because he just looks cool. Just pack those subscriptions with interesting looking and well known characters and you could sell it to anyone.


nice eye roll there buddy, My point is parents are not going to sub for action figures for their kids, at least not most of them

parents that are not geeks/nerds or toy collector them self will not care if a kid misses this figure or that figure.

Most parents do not go on toy "hunts" for their kids, they take them through the toy isle while they are shopping and let them pick something out

also on the note of a figure looking "cool" to a kid spider-man as a ninja or a knight can look cool, its not the same thing as we think is cool


Last edited by fball13z on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:10 am 
User avatar
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8989
Location: Colorado
derailing this for my own amusement. Scot Eric at the Mess observed that Jay appeared to be wearing Wranglers, so I went to work. I didn't bother with the boots, but good times nonetheless...

Image

_________________
Keep up with the latest news on the AFi facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/ActionFigureInsider

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:20 am 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
fball13z wrote:
Most parents do not go on toy "hunts" for their kids, they take them through the toy isle while they are shopping and let them pick something out

Right... A serious question, do you have kids? I know I hunt down stuff my kid wants, even stuff I have no clue about like Halo... I know more about the game because of the Mega Blocks and the McFarlane toys... his grandparents also hunt down stuff he asks for. My parents and grandparents did the same thing with me. The same with my friends growing up, our parents knew certain Transformers by name and appearance thanks to us. I think more parents hunt for the things their kids want more so than you think.

In our current online based society a subscription is just a natural evolution of things to come. Anything that cuts down the amount of physical trips most people have to make in our "one hour photo instant mashed potato society".

Mad props if anyone knows where the that quote if from too!

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:21 am 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
The Superfly wrote:
derailing this for my own amusement. Scot Eric at the Mess observed that Jay appeared to be wearing Wranglers, so I went to work. I didn't bother with the boots, but good times nonetheless...

Image

I also want this variant! :lol:

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:25 am 
User avatar
5" Scale
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1772
Location: ATL, GA
Van Statten wrote:
fball13z wrote:
Most parents do not go on toy "hunts" for their kids, they take them through the toy isle while they are shopping and let them pick something out

Right... A serious question, do you have kids? I know I hunt down stuff my kid wants, even stuff I have no clue about like Halo... I know more about the game because of the Mega Blocks and the McFarlane toys... his grandparents also hunt down stuff he asks for. My parents and grandparents did the same thing with me. The same with my friends growing up, our parents knew certain Transformers by name and appearance thanks to us. I think more parents hunt for the things their kids want more so than you think.

In our current online based society a subscription is just a natural evolution of things to come. Anything that cuts down the amount of physical trips most people have to make in our "one hour photo instant mashed potato society".

Mad props if anyone knows where the that quote if from too!


I have a young child but my point again is we are not the norm when it comes to parents, most adults look at our hobbies as silly, we are the exception, not the rule.

Just b/c you dont know about Halo, you understand the hobby and wants

Not saying parents do not look for a toy a child has asked for, but its not like they are pallet diving or going to 20 different stores.

and again the cutting back trips doesnt matter to most parents, most parents are not going out toy hunting, they are going to buy milk and bread and then let their kids look at the toys

If you ask most parents that are not some kind of toy collector or geek/nerd and ask them to put down $15 to $45 a month plus shipping for toys, with no way to back out, they will laugh at you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:30 am 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
fball13z wrote:
If you ask most parents that are not some kind of toy collector or geek/nerd and ask them to put down $15 to $45 a month plus shipping for toys, with no way to back out, they will laugh at you.

I just think that's selling the idea short before it's even pitched.

We hang out with a lot of parents, none who collect anything let alone toys or comics but we all go out on the search missions for the kids. I think you sell the parents not in the know a bit short.

We're everyone's best friend come Christmas time. :lol: Maybe not at the current price, I can give you that but that price is where it is because Mattel knew it was a niche market. I imagine what the monthly price would be a bit lower if it was mass market and they would need to preview the figures ahead of time, because I'll give you that as well, no one is buying anything blind.

So allow me to amend this idea... with some tweaking... a subscription for anything could probably be sold to the general public.

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 am 
User avatar
5" Scale
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1772
Location: ATL, GA
Van Statten wrote:
So allow me to amend this idea... with some tweaking... a subscription for anything could probably be sold to the general public.


If by tweaked you mean tell up front what is going to be in the sub and allow op outs, then yes I agree, but with out those 2 things, it will be a hard sell to anyone not in the "know"

Mattel will be better severed trying to reach the rest of nerd kind


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:40 am 
User avatar
Disney is not his cup of tea
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 2796
That's exactly what I said, a preview of the figures to come.

I don't think there's anyone left in Nerd Kind. The turn out for the subscription the first time was probably it. Who else you going to reach? The only people I know who didn't get it were teens who collect and just couldn't afford it. Some people don't even like purchasing off Matty Collector... I'd be shocked if the subscription next year gets a better turn out than the first from just that target group.

_________________
Trading Scores: +16
+4 Bunger43, +1 alcinde4, +1 An-Gel Sakur, +5 ProfessorK, +1 Nonnahir, +1 Toyman, +1 Justice Freak, +1 bnjmnrlyr, +1 Jim_Abell
My eBay Feedback


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: AFI First Look Metron and GA Flash
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:42 am 
User avatar
Collector Inspector
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:53 am
Posts: 1353
The Superfly wrote:
Image


Doc Brown: Marty, you're going to have to do something about those clothes. You walk around town dressed like that, you're liable to get shot.

_________________
WHERE are my classic Freedom Fighter action figures?!? Uncle Sam, The Ray, Black Condor, The Human Bomb, Phantom Lady, Doll Man and Firebrand!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.055s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]