Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel 2013 retail aimed @ collector line
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:07 pm 
Collector Inspector

The Thing had his own show, didn't he? A kid who put on a magic ring that turned him into The Thing? Strange but true.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:07 pm 
serves the Otter

Van Statten wrote:
I bet if we went all Family Feud style... and polled one hundred random people on a street corner all those statostics will just prove you know how to use the internet. :lol:

Yes. The internet is a wonderful thing. Specially when you bump into one of these guys...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:09 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

tuning4k wrote:
The Thing had his own show, didn't he? A kid who put on a magic ring that turned him into The Thing? Strange but true.

Yeah but not Ben Grimm. I would just prefer he leave it off the list.
wiki wrote:
Although The Thing has always been closely identified with the Fantastic Four, he did appear as a solo character in a bizarre and short-lived 1979 spin-off of the animated series The Flintstones, entitled Fred and Barney Meet the Thing. This incarnation of the Thing was a scrawny, teenaged "Benjy" Grimm, who could transform into his heroic identity with his "Thing rings", one worn on each hand, by bringing his fists together to connect the rings (with the cry, "Thing rings, do your thing!").

Not worry Silver Spoon, I pegged you for one long ago and you wish your ass looked as good as Jim Carey's. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:13 pm 
serves the Otter

tuning4k wrote:
He didn't forget. He just started in the 80's. Dear god, I'm still trying to forget those horrible Filmation DC cartoons and the even worse Marvel "motion comics" from the 60's.

Actually, Van Statten was the one that started in the 80's (way back in his original post.) I just followed his lead on account that it would've been a blowout. Notice that I limited the Super Friends stuff to episodes produced in the 80's and did not include Challenge of the Superfriends. But the 70's had a boatload of DC stuff (i.e. Super Friends, Aquaman, Batman with Batmite, etc.) It just wasn't worth the hassle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:22 pm 

I always thought Fantastic Four was 79-80 because of the CBS ads in my older Marvel books.

There were two, one in the early-mid 70s and one in 78, the one from 78 I assumed was 80. My badd.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:40 pm 
serves the Otter

stewbacca wrote:
I stand corrected-- (although you did leave of the 52 episodes from Spiderman in 1967) And those recent Magna Cartoon series...

I didn't want to include the old DC/Marvel stuff from the 60's & 70's. But you are right. I forgot about the recent G4 series. So I guess that adds 48 episodes to Marvel's total. And hopefully, we can end it there. 'Cause I don't think anyone wins once you start getting into stuff like Swamp Thing (FOX) and Black Panther (BET).

On a personal note, I want to point out that a show that's on Basic Cable (i.e. Cartoon Network) usually gets more exposure than one that's on a Premium Cable Channel (i.e. Disney XD). So in today's economy, there's a possibility that more kids are watching Young Justice than Ultimate Spider-Man. Time will tell, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:02 pm 
Displays Backwards

Bunger43 wrote:
[LOL...yep, that's it.
Man, I thought it was early 80's.

I just thought those graphics were too good for early 80s. The cool cartoony looking graphics didn't show up until the late 80s.

I used to have arcade emulators on my computer but I gave up on them long ago, they were just too much of a hassle finding the ROMs and dealing with all that. Maybe someday I'll get one again and check Superman out.

And Challenge of the Super Friends kicks all those other shows asses! Seriously, there are quite a number of good cartoons out there, both DC and Marvel. I've enjoyed almost all of the shows listed (even though some of those 90s Marvel shows were a little bland - not X-Men and Spidey, though).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:07 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Did anyone mention the Spider-Woman cartoon yet? It was either late 70's early 80's. Can't remember.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:10 pm 

In our neck of the woods, Cartoon Network isn't part of basic cable. If you get Cartoon Network then you get Disney and Disney XD. Cartoon Network is right there at that cut off line between Basic and Tier One... least in my area.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:54 pm 
serves the Otter

whakojacko1976 wrote:
Did anyone mention the Spider-Woman cartoon yet? It was either late 70's early 80's. Can't remember.

She missed the cut on account that all of her episodes (except for one) aired in 1979. She was in that Thing/Challenge of the Super-Friends/Fantastic Four/Batman and the Super-7 bubble. I gave the nod to the Thing and hung the rest including The New Adventures of Batman b/c most those episodes were from the 70's (even though they kept being marketed as new well into 1981.) That way, no one can say I was biased.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:01 pm 

whakojacko1976 wrote:

She ran into the early 80s on ABC Saturday morning cartoons even as repeats. Another reason why ABC was always inferior with Saturday morning cartoons.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:36 am 
5" Scale

red Ricky wrote:
She missed the cut on account that all of her episodes (except for one) aired in 1979. She was in that Thing/Challenge of the Super-Friends/Fantastic Four/Batman and the Super-7 bubble. I gave the nod to the Thing and hung the rest including The New Adventures of Batman b/c most those episodes were from the 70's (even though they kept being marketed as new well into 1981.) That way, no one can say I was biased.

Just curious. What was your reason for leaving The Zeta Project off your DC animated list? It was for all intents and purposes a DCAU show since it was spun off from Batman Beyond and had Batman and Old Bruce Wayne guest star in one episode.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:27 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Because Zeta sucked!

:P

I think you're the only one who really liked it! :wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:05 pm 
serves the Otter

Fone Bone wrote:
Just curious. What was your reason for leaving The Zeta Project off your DC animated list?

Because I don't know if Zeta has been integrated into the proper DC Universe and I didn't want to open that door on account that DC was the clear winner in terms of episode count. Like I said, I thought they were just messing around. Specially when they brought up the animated DVDs. I mean, the last Marvel Animated DVD I remember watching were Planet Hulk and Tales of Asgard. But in the same time span, we've seen Under the Red Hood, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, All-Star Superman, Superman/Shazam, Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, Batman: Year One and Justice League: Doom. So I figured there was no need to stack the deck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:38 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

This is one of the few times where I've actually enjoyed the thread being completely derailed. Great dialogue! I loved a lot of those shows.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next