Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel 2013 retail aimed @ collector line
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:29 pm 
Former King of Posts

I have no idea what the above posts have to do with the topic, but after today's Young Justice, I SO want to see Static and Icon in toy form.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:40 pm 
ABS

Now this is the kind of derailing that restores my faith in mankind's geeky future. I knew DC was a much bigger property than Marvel in the cartoon world, I got the facts, but was too lazy to do the math. Thanks red Ricky for once again presenting a very well researched argument.

However, I don't know about you, but I'm under the impression Marvel's strategy to get their product out has proven more intelligent and effective than DC/WB's. And if DC doesn't get back on track and start a counter-campaign, future generations are going to take more to Marvel Heroes than DC... and IMHO, DC has always had a better literary structure and character development than Marvel.

On a side note: The new collector aimed line at retail will most likely be 6". However, if they were to brand it "DC Nation" as a whole, and then subdivide by concept, like: "DC Nation Animated (including Young Justice, JLU, BTAS or however they want to sort the characters out), DC Nation Movie Masters, DC Nation Classics, or something along the lines, it would MAYBE appeal to collectors all around. However, PRICE, CHARACTER SELECTION, DISTRIBUTION and QC will play a fundamental role in ANY new line's success. If they don't correct that, they will never top Hasbro's strategy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:16 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Shellhead wrote:
Because Zeta sucked!

:P

I think you're the only one who really liked it! :wink:

And I'm willing to bet you've never actually sat down and watched it. By the end of it's run it was as good as Batman Beyond and had the best character development out of any DCAU show. Only Young Justice tops it in that department now.

People only hate it because it was made for slightly younger viewers and because it lacked superheroes. I personally think it makes the DC Universe a bit more well-rounded to not have every single thing that happens in it involve superheroes. It makes it feel like a more fully realized world.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:00 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

While I can't say I watched every single episode, I watched most of them. And except for a few here and there (like the Batman guest star episode you mentioned), I kept thinking "we got this stupid thing instead of a future JLU series?"

Give me the adventures of Aquagirl, Barda, Micron, Superman, and GL over a stupid robot any day.

But hey, different strokes for different folks. :wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:51 pm 
Aspires to be #1

A JLU beyond series would have been amazing to see.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:53 pm 
PVC

Heres the facts folks.....why would anyone have any hope for a new line from Mattel right now? Everything they have done in recent memory has failed miserably. Who the hell wants to collect a line thats going to last for less than a year? Need the list?

Now, if this "new and innovative" line is 6 inch DC figures made by the 4 horseman, that fit PERFECTLY with DCUC.....then I'm in. If not......I'm out. So, I'm hoping "new and innovative" really means "what we did well for many years to make collectors actually care about products".

An animated line will be doomed before it starts, just like all the other times they've tried, and if anyone things Mattel can compete with Hasbro in the 3.75 department, they're out of their mind.

I still can't believe they are this much of a mess right now.

COMIC CHARACTERS ONLY!

Last edited by jerseymainiac on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:10 pm 
Aspires to be #1

jerseymainiac wrote:
Everything they have done is recent memory has failed miserably.

Yea JLU and DCUC were disasters. They ONLY put out about 600 figures! Epic fails! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:39 pm 
PVC

j1h15233 wrote:
jerseymainiac wrote:
Everything they have done is recent memory has failed miserably.

Yea JLU and DCUC were disasters. They ONLY put out about 600 figures! Epic fails! :roll:

RECENT MEMORY!!! As in NEW lines they started! Did you even bother to read the rest of what I wrote about DCUC?

Silly man!

COMIC CHARACTERS ONLY!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:32 pm 
PVC

While I am a fan and collector of 6" figures in the DCUC vein (the ML are awful imo), Mattel definitely needs to get the focus on kids in retail. That means a great 3.75" line that compares to Marvel U. Young Justice bombed with my nephew and my friends' kids. They love the show, hate the toys. Generally don't see that but there ya go.

I'm always about finding ways to beat Marvel. And unless Mattel is willing to fully utilize this license and commit the resources and price points to get there, DC really should not have renewed the license.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:18 am 
categorically opposed

strathaar wrote:
While I am a fan and collector of 6" figures in the DCUC vein (the ML are awful imo), Mattel definitely needs to get the focus on kids in retail. That means a great 3.75" line that compares to Marvel U. Young Justice bombed with my nephew and my friends' kids. They love the show, hate the toys. Generally don't see that but there ya go.

I'm always about finding ways to beat Marvel. And unless Mattel is willing to fully utilize this license and commit the resources and price points to get there, DC really should not have renewed the license.

If DC isn't concerned about beating Marvel, why should Mattel be? DC is obviously happy being in second.

Until DC makes some sort of move toward a giant media push for its characters - and Batman and Superman don't count - everyone that has the license is going to struggle. Hasbro struggled with it (and, rather than thinking outside the box, settled on churning out Batman repaints). DC Direct has struggled over the years. Mattel has had the most success so far, but there's a limit - and the licensor is directly responsible for the limits.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:46 am 
Aspires to be #1

jerseymainiac wrote:
RECENT MEMORY!!! As in NEW lines they started! Did you even bother to read the rest of what I wrote about DCUC?

Silly man!

So they didn't start JLU and DCUC? They aren't still going? You act like those lines are ancient history. Not to mention that Brave and the Bold has had a pretty good run, Action League is still going, and the movie masters stuff performed as well as movie crap can I guess. Their only real failure lately is Young Justice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:54 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

IMO a continuation of the DCUC line would fail as would an animated line. Both lines have already done most of the main characters in the DC unvierse and even if they do them in the new 52 costumes that doesn't leave a whole lot of Batman and Superman to do. If they do a reboot and start doing alot of the same characters collectors would complain so they should not even attempt either of those imo. Keep the DCUC stuff on Matty and just let animated die, it has run it's course.

They need to do a 3 3/4" line like MU with tons of Batman, Superman, Flash, GL headlining each line and then throw in some supporting characters and villains with each wave just like Hasbro has done with Iron Man, Captain America and Spider-man with MU.

Get Superman and Batman action figures, not statues (kids do not want statues like JLU/YJ) in the isles in the $7-8.00 range and I bet they sell.

And got a Justice League show going. Nice to see them in YJ but they need their own show.

And I will say it again. Marvel since 2000 has 20 super hero movies of their main characters, DC.........5. nuff said.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:51 am 
PVC

j1h15233 wrote:
jerseymainiac wrote:

Silly man!

So they didn't start JLU and DCUC? They aren't still going? You act like those lines are ancient history. Not to mention that Brave and the Bold has had a pretty good run, Action League is still going, and the movie masters stuff performed as well as movie crap can I guess. Their only real failure lately is Young Justice.

Dude, you're STILL not reading what I wrote. DCUC started.....what....4 or 5 years ago.....and JLU before that. Those are the last lines they did that could come close to being considered successful.

And no, they are certainly NOT still going. JLU is all the way done, and the sub does not really take the place of 4 or 5 full waves a year of DCUC.

You wanna throw BaTB in there as moderately successful, I'll give you that one.

And isn't action league those little chunks of plastic? Yea.....that will totally last long. :roll:

COMIC CHARACTERS ONLY!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:08 am 
Aspires to be #1

jerseymainiac wrote:
Dude, you're STILL not reading what I wrote. DCUC started.....what....4 or 5 years ago.....and JLU before that. Those are the last lines they did that could come close to being considered successful.

And no, they are certainly NOT still going. JLU is all the way done, and the sub does not really take the place of 4 or 5 full waves a year of DCUC.

And isn't action league those little chunks of plastic? Yea.....that will totally last long. :roll:

DCUC has one more wave to hit retail and JLU has MC.com releases from July to December this year. Those are still going and until there isn't new product to buy, that definition doesn't change.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:21 am 
active in the community

j1h15233 wrote:
jerseymainiac wrote:

DCUC has one more wave to hit retail and JLU has MC.com releases from July to December this year. Those are still going and until there isn't new product to buy, that definition doesn't change.

Your move Jersey.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next