Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Beware The Batman (BTB) 2013 Toys
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:52 am 
Cold-cast

Has anyone heard if Mattel is planning on giving Beware the Batman any toy treatment? It's all that 3D computer game styled and generated crap like GL animated. It has new characters so i am wondering if this is what TG refers to as an innovative line for 2013. If they canceled toys for GL animated, then i guess its safe to say that they may not make toys. But since the GL movie may have hurt the decision for making animated toys as the GL movie toys did not do well but batman does really well. I'm thinking BTB toys may be that innovative line where they will have new characters, new look for batman and perhaps guest staring heroes and/or teams. Wonder if they would show any at SDCC or perhaps NYTF 2013.

http://screenrant.com/beware-batman-pos ... nm-161883/

Would you buy these toys? What scale(s), etc and characters would you like to see? pricing? Pen your thoughts below on what you would like to see, cost and interest you in spending your hard earn money.

Post subject: Re: Beware The Batman (BTB) 2013 Toys
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:58 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I think the earliest we'll see/hear anything about if toys are happening will be SDCC '13. The show isn't going to start airing until 2013 so retail won't be interested in carrying them until the show is on the air. With it being Batman I can see the line launching in the same quarter as the show, but it may still have to wait until the following resets depending on what else is in the market at that time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:24 am 
Aspires to be #1

I don't even want to watch this abomination, so I certainly won't be buying any toys.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:44 am 
Loose, Missing Package

j1h15233 wrote:
I don't even want to watch this abomination, so I certainly won't be buying any toys.

C'mon, Joel... We haven't even seen the first frame of animation yet. There's no telling how much the concept will change by the time the first episode is finished.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:49 am 
Aspires to be #1

Jim_Abell wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

C'mon, Joel... We haven't even seen the first frame of animation yet. There's no telling how much the concept will change by the time the first episode is finished.

If Alfred is a gun toting spy type, I'm not watching.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:44 am 
5" Scale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I have nothing against them trying something new. But the basic premise of this seems flawed from the start. You're going to try to do a Batman show with no Joker at all? At least not that we've seen? That bothers me more than Alfred with a gun. Heck, he used one during the recent Battle for the Cowl if I remember.

There's nothing at all wrong with adding newer underused villains, as Batman: Brave and the Bold proved. There IS something VERY wrong with trying to avoid the well-established rogue's gallery altogether. Just on principle alone, that spells a potential problem with any toy line based on the show.

Mom: Batman? Sure son. Joker? Oh yeah I know him. Pyg? PYG? Who the he... umm Johnny go play with the wrestling figures.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:30 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Now in reading the original announcement, it does say they will include some of the more well-known villains. But if you're going to give Alfred a gun, add Katana instead of Dick, Jason, Tim, Barbara, Damian or Stephanie, you better have something to reassure fans. And highlighting Morrison's oddities isn't really going to do that.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:47 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

j1h15233 wrote:

I concur. I haven't seen much about the show but the character designs and the villain choices as well as Alfred's characterization fill me with dread. This looks even worse than The Batman's first season. Which means it will last 65 episodes.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:48 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Wow, you're all a bunch of Negative Nancies about this aren't you.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this. I think it will be a nice change of pace from what we've seen before in a Batman show.

I like that the "core" of the Batverse is going to be absent for a bit. I like that they are trying to use new villains instead of the traditional villains like Joker. I like that Alfred is a distinctly new character and not just a tray-carrying butler. I LOVE Katana.

I have no problems with Grant Morrison's take on Batman (for the most part) and am interested to see how it will translate into an "all ages" television version.

And the premise sounds much more in line with the upcoming Geoff Johns' Earth One Batman than anything else (which I am sure will pleeple off several more of you).

I'm with Jim on this one. Its much too early to pass any form of judgement on this show. Nothing has been seen yet aside from the original pitch art.

I was awed when BTAS aired despite the initial resistance to the art style.
I was in love with BtBaB despite the original hesitation about the mixing of eras and characters.

I've learned my lesson. I'll wait and see.

and yes, I think we will see a toy line of sorts for this show. Just not any time soon. Not even an announcement about a toy line or answer in a QnA until something like Toy Fair '13 or SDCC '13

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:02 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I'll take a wait and see attitude as well.

But I have to admit, I'm getting pretty tired of Batman shows. There's so much more to the DC Universe than Gotham. :?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 am 
Aspires to be #1

I'd love to see a Flash animated series.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:49 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Shellhead wrote:
I'll take a wait and see attitude as well.

But I have to admit, I'm getting pretty tired of Batman shows. There's so much more to the DC Universe than Gotham. :?

Batman is the #1 most popular super hero of all time. It makes sense they always try to reboot him but it's getting a little ridiculous how many times they are doing it. I still think a JL cartoon would be best.

DC just doesn't have the characters/teams that can headline a show like Marvel does imo.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by ian5555 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:50 am 
Brand Manager

j1h15233 wrote:
I'd love to see a Flash animated series.

Yes. A Flash series or a Captain Marvel series by Bruce Timm would be all kinds of wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:05 am 
Cold-cast

Fone Bone wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

I concur. I haven't seen much about the show but the character designs and the villain choices as well as Alfred's characterization fill me with dread. This looks even worse than The Batman's first season. Which means it will last 65 episodes.

Well then you most certainly won't be reading Batman: Earth One, because that's how Alfred is going to be portrayed in that series, and it looks pretty awesome to me.

Batman Begins didn't have the Joker in it, did that movie suck?

To me, the series looks promising. This Batman has a very dark, Golden Age-Bob Kane film-noir look to it and I love it. The very first Batman appearances relied on down to earth detective stories set in a dangerous and corrupt city. Anarky is going to be a series regular. For those of you who don't know, Anarky was created by Alan Grant (originally to be a Judge Dredd villain) and was a badass political radical who launches his own ultra-violent war on crime in Gotham.

I'm waiting to see Beware of the Batman to reserve final judgment. But holding off on overused Joker, Riddler and Penguin stories is not a deal breaker for me.