Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Mattel 2013 retail aimed @ collector line
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:27 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

From the front page...
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... -toy-lines

I'm hopeful with this announcement. It's likely going to be discussed at SDCC.
Here's what I want to know...
#1 Scale! - Since we already have DCUC it's probably going to be 3.75"-4.0"
2. Style, animated (prob not). Similar to DCIH but improved (like Marvel) figures?
3. Articulation
4. Character selection & how many characters per wave
5. Mattycollector availability. Exclusives?

Is it too early to be talking about all this? Hope not.
Worst case, I'd like something to mix in with my JLU's. Best case. I collect the whole damn line.

What y'all think?

Post subject: Re: Mattel 2013 retail aimed @ collector line
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:56 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Sadly, Mattel has disappointed me too many times. They'll have to prove it to me now before I'll believe anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:25 pm 
Displays Backwards

They say it's an "innovative collector-aimed line."

Oh, god, it sounds terrible.

I will assume the worst, and hope for mediocrity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:15 am 
Infinite Hero

As much as I hope there'll be a new 4" DC line, I think that statement is just referring to whatever they are reworking the DCUC replacement line to be.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:17 am 
An Insider

Jeff Cope wrote:
As much as I hope there'll be a new 4" DC line, I think that statement is just referring to whatever they are reworking the DCUC replacement line to be.

I have to agree with Jeff on this one. I'd love a new 4" (read not 4.5") DC line. However I think they are talking about bigger figures.

Last edited by joeace on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:18 am 
shirtless hugger

I think Jeff's right. I doubt they'd aim a 4" line at the collector market. The price point would be too high, and it would crash and burn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:28 am 
Aspires to be #1

Unless they find a way to lower the prices of their lines, I don't think it matters what plan they roll out. If I may make a prediction....I see this strategy backfiring similar to the way the JLU singles worked out. When the singles left stores after the factory problems in China they were 4.99. When they came back they were 8.99 or even 9.99 in some areas. 6 in. figures now are going anywhere from 15.99 to 19.99 so if they take a year off and prices are only going up, what will they come back with? Unless Mattel can pull a rabbit out of their hat with pricing, I think this new line they're planning will probably start at 19.99 and only go up from there. How many people can afford that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:30 am 
An Insider

Bryan Long wrote:
I think Jeff's right. I doubt they'd aim a 4" line at the collector market. The price point would be too high, and it would crash and burn.

No that does not have to be.

If Mattel can get a nice 4" line out to collectors at a decent price, it should do well with the 4" scale collectors. I love the 4" scale and bought a ton of DC Infinite Heroes. It was like a bad habit, I could not leave the store unless I bought some more, even though I had them already. I gave away plenty of my extra DCIH figures to my nephew and niece.

Overpricing the figures will discourage some collectors. People who don't collect that scale may not buy them anyway, unless they are buying a character that they like.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:47 am 
categorically opposed

It's almost definitely a 6" line. I'm betting that it'll be basically a continuation of DCUC, only all modern versions instead of the throwbacks that DCUC was packed with.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:08 am 
Hat Pooper

"innovative collector-aimed line coming to retail stores"

let break down the above statement

"innovative" - Whatever Hasbro was doing with their toy lines or toys with computer chips that interact with a video game ( Slylander meet DCU online)

"Collector-aimed line" = higher price

"coming to retail stores" = delays, pegwarmers, selected areas getting the new stuff and other getting DCUC wave 4.

I think we will see figures in scale with the WWE figures and possible DC/WWE two packs of Batman vs Undertaker, Superman vs. John Cena, Wonder Woman vs. Trish Stratus two packs. ( I actually like that last part).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:27 am 
Aspires to be #1

nquick wrote:
I think we will see figures in scale with the WWE figures and possible DC/WWE two packs of Batman vs Undertaker, Superman vs. John Cena, Wonder Woman vs. Trish Stratus two packs. ( I actually like that last part).

I might buy those if they cost 15 bucks and the wrestlers come with a nice crisp 20 dollar bill.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:29 am 
Collector Inspector

Quote:
"innovative"

Oh no, I'm scared to look.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:41 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Until they do a Marvel Universe 3 3/4-4" type line with decent articulation they will continue to fail imo. The line appeals to collectors AND children in the $8-9 price point range. Follow the Hasbro model for action figures, it frickin works. Imagine the Comic Packs you could do as well. Lots of Batman and Superman just like they did with Iron Man and Spider-man but get your collector figures in there too.

There is no sense doing more DCUC, unless they do them in the new 52 costumes as most of the big names are already complete. They are going to rot on the shelves like the last 3-4 waves.

Move DCUC where it needs to be perm, Matty full time. Get action figures in the isles imo.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:57 am 
Aspires to be #1

So, fans of DCIH and that scale, I'm curious...would you buy into a line if all they did was further shrink the DCUC figures to your scale? Almost no changes at all, just the 4H sculpts with the same articulation and paint but at the smaller scale.

I don't know if this is actually possible or not but I'd like to know what you guys think.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:58 am 
Brand Manager

j1h15233 wrote:
Unless they find a way to lower the prices of their lines, I don't think it matters what plan they roll out. If I may make a prediction....I see this strategy backfiring similar to the way the JLU singles worked out. When the singles left stores after the factory problems in China they were 4.99. When they came back they were 8.99 or even 9.99 in some areas. 6 in. figures now are going anywhere from 15.99 to 19.99 so if they take a year off and prices are only going up, what will they come back with? Unless Mattel can pull a rabbit out of their hat with pricing, I think this new line they're planning will probably start at 19.99 and only go up from there. How many people can afford that?

This. Because if a retail line is going to compete with other toys and forms of entertainment, it has to be affordable.

As far as a 3.75" line, I recommend they start small, build an audience and work their way up. Test the waters first. Have a precursor. After all, Marvel Universe had ML Showdown and DCUC had DC Super-Heroes. Anyways... that's my take. But to be honest, I don't think Mattel has it in them to produce a successful 3.75" inch line. I know a lot of people want them, but what they dream of getting is not what I think Mattel will deliver. The only one that can deliver the type of quality collectors want, at the 3.75" scale, is Hasbro. And that's because they have 30+ years of design experience thanks to their G.I. Joe line.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next