Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ask Mattel for May 1st!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:39 pm 
shirtless hugger

It's that time again! I missed the deadline last time (I was mired in php code for the site revamp... oops!), but luckily other sites turned in their homework on time:

AFI - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... y-1st-2012

Fwoosh - http://thefwoosh.com/2012/05/ask-matty-5112

Pendragon - http://www.pendragonspost.com/2012/05/0 ... r-does-he/

Elkk Thunder - http://www.elkkthunderstoyroom.com/2012 ... or-51.html

Kastor - http://kastorskorner.com/wp/2012/05/01/ ... eals-more/

Org Thread (collects several He-Man Sites): http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/sho ... -(5-1-2012)

That's it for now. I'll check back for some more later tonight!

Post subject: Re: Ask Mattel for May 1st!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:03 pm 
shirtless hugger

ToyArk - http://www.toyark.com/news/toyark-spotl ... wers-5735/

Figures - http://www.figures.com/forums/news/1548 ... tty-q.html

Mint Condition - http://www.mintconditioncustom.com/2012 ... -1st-2012/

Last edited by NoisyDvL5 on Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:00 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Thanks Noisy!!

Quote:
FWOOSH: Matty, since the release of Draego-Man, several fans online have been discussing the possibility of the Horsemen getting to design an all-new character each year, perhaps as an out-of-sub figure. Would that be possible?

MATTY: The great news is there are 5 more all new figures coming in 2012 including Mighty Spector, Sir Laser-Lot a figure designed by Terrie Higuchi from Mattel design and the fan contest winner. There are no plans right now to continue this in 2013, but you never know what the future will bring.

Matty, my bro, please don't get confused here. The question included these words specifically: Draego-Man and Horsemen. I would subscribe to a sub that was all-new MOTUC characters done by the 4H (I collect MOTUC as a fan of the 4H and cool toys more than anything though). But, Draego-Man is probably my favorite fig in the whole line based on cool factor, regardless of loyalty to the 4H.

Also: 4H bring the cool! More 4H in all toys. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:22 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

So, fans of DC animation? You wanna know what killied the Young Justice toyline? Was the delay between the shows debut and figures appearing at retail? No no. Was it the high price point on window boxed 6" figures? Please! The sporadic airing of the commercial property itself? Give me a break. Take a look in the mirror, DCAU Fans.... BECAUSE IT WAS YOUUUUUU!!! *points incredulous finger*

Quote:
This is a line that needs kid and mom support to continue. We have found from experience that DC Animated figures can not live on collector support alone.

We will not be continuing YJ on Matty.com in any scale (at this time). We tried a similar brand, JLU,  in many form factors (singles, 3 packs, 4 packs and a 7pack of all new figures) and none sold well enough. This makes it a bit harder to continue YJ online. A toyline like YJ really takes Mom and Kid interest to keep it going. We cannot keep the line like YJ going on collector support alone. JLU proved this.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:14 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Yeah, I love how the crappy poses (read: arms/hands), high price and spotty distribution had nothing to do with YJ's death. It's all the fans' fault. Specifically JLU fans' fault that YJ won't be continuing. Bwahahahaha...

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:18 am 
Cold-cast

One of Kenner's biggest successes was their Batman Animated line. The JLU figure line lasted 10 years, well into after the show stopped airing.

The real lessons Mattel should learn from YJ and JLU:

1) What should Mattel be doing to get a revamped animated line back into the hands of collectors AND kids / moms as soon as possible.

2) What is Mattel doing wrong with YJ and JLU that made them fail so dramatically at retail and mattycollector of late?

Animated DC toys have been successful since the 90's...how did they manage to blow that kind of following?

I'll give you a hint...making the toys literally impossible to find, and when you do find them, they will set you back a small fortune. Sprinkle a recession on top of that and...presto! You've killed a valuable commodity!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 am 
Tis' but a pup

texgnome1 wrote:
Yeah, I love how the crappy poses (read: arms/hands), high price and spotty distribution had nothing to do with YJ's death. It's all the fans' fault. Specifically JLU fans' fault that YJ won't be continuing. Bwahahahaha...

To be fair, he wasn't actually blaming the YJ line's death on JLU. He mentioned that YJ would not find new life on mattycollector because of JLU's poor mattycollector performance.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:32 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

How many times do we have to debate this? :roll:

They. Did. Not. Sell. Enough. On. Matty. To. Continue.

They. Did. Not. Sell. Enough. At. Retail. To. Continue.

That's really all there is to it. I'd rather look forward to what comes next than constantly argue about "what could have been" and "what should have been."

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:44 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

These answers from ElkThunders QnA (click here for the full QnA: http://www.elkkthunderstoyroom.com/2012 ... or-51.html ) are some of my personal favorite this month. It really seems like no one is bothering to read the questions or check the answers this time at all...

Quote:
The DC line has appeared to change a lot since Toyfair, when will we get a final 2012 plan for the line?
Super Power Penguin won’t make it this year, but fret not, we think we’ve found a place for him in early 2013. As far as DCU is concerned, there will be one more wave of DC Universe in 2012, hitting around August. After that, you will find a new DC collector Mass line at retail in 2013 where we’ve taken lessons from YJ, DCU and Legacy.

Given all the DC changes in the line, is there still a chance to get the 80's Super Power Penguin this year??
No plans right now to confirm but we would like to find a home for him one day.

In one question they tell us they think they have slotted the SP Penguin (in a question he wasn't even asked about) and then follow it up in the very next question saying they don't know what they are doing but still looking.

Awesome.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:14 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
So, fans of DC animation? You wanna know what killied the Young Justice toyline? Was the delay between the shows debut and figures appearing at retail? No no. Was it the high price point on window boxed 6" figures? Please! The sporadic airing of the commercial property itself? Give me a break. Take a look in the mirror, DCAU Fans.... BECAUSE IT WAS YOUUUUUU!!! *points incredulous finger*

Abuddah, this made me laugh...so hard. Thank you :)

I take these Q&As with a grain of salt because often you're catching Mattel in the midst of a decision or process, so things can change.

That being said...I really don't enjoy being reminded that collectors aren't good enough. I guess the answer is just frank, but it comes off like "You gave us your money, and you care about the line, but it's pointless and insignificant."

Maybe it's just seeing the words on a screen that makes it sound harsher than it's intended to. But yeah, I do think that the Mom Factor is a big deal in the industry right now. Does anyone know which toys Moms are still buying? Do we have any stats on that? Is it that they're less in favour of super heroes now (which I find hard to believe, given all the movies and increased visibility) than they were in the '80s?

Last edited by DisneyBoy on Wed May 02, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:20 am 

Excellent comment over @ itsalltrue.net
Quote:
I really dislike the fact that they want to play the “mom/kid” sales card when it comes to YJ. Many of the characters from Marvel U, GI Joe etc are unrecognizable to most parents, yet they sell right? I doubt any mom knows who Iron Fist is, but he looks cool, is posed “kicking” in the package, maybe I will pick him up? Sure there a pegwarmers, but they seem to move pretty well in my area. Those toys usually have a ton of accessories and great POA so they can actually use them. Yet you look at a YJ 4 inch figure with barely any accessories (or accessories they cannot use like a bow for Artemis) and 5 POAs and those can’t sell. They really do look like Happy meal toys, so why would a parent choose to spend $10-15 on a DC YJ toy versus a Joe or Marvel U toy? Why would a kid want a Kid Flash figure, a character whose main power is is run fast, but he cannot bend his knees or elbows (but…but he comes with a bag of chips!!!!).
It would be nice to hear them say that “being cheap really hurt the YJ line”, but I doubt we will ever hear that.
As bad as Cartoon Network has always been about their programming schedules, I think a well articulated toy line with a nice variety of characters and accessories would have kept this line selling during the drought of episodes. The initial YJ sculpts looked dead on, but I stayed away because it seemed like JLU all over again. I think they should have followed what Hasbro has been doing with lines like Joe, Marvel U and even Star Wars (especially the Animated Clone Wars stuff which has some really good articulation and accessories and similar animated look to YJ). Sigh…
And don’t even get me started on Marketing the Subscription Services so people outside the toy world actually know about this and will buy the subs. How can this not be a priority? I have actually had a few friends see my collection of MOTUC and say “Many I would love to get those”, thinking it was the old toys, not knowing they are new

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:29 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Oh don't get me wrong. His comment isn't incorrect, it's just misplaced lol. Why couldn't they have just said, they didn't sell enough at retail and we don't plan to bring them to Matty. They brought JLU into it not me. I just think it's funny. :)

Abuddah's quote sums it up very nicely. The YJ figures, even with the awkward poses, could have sold well enough if people thought they were getting value at that price. They didn't, the line is dead, now Mattel needs to figure out "what's next?"

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:37 am 

Shellhead wrote:
How many times do we have to debate this? :roll:

They. Did. Not. Sell. Enough. On. Matty. To. Continue.

They. Did. Not. Sell. Enough. At. Retail. To. Continue.

That's really all there is to it. I'd rather look forward to what comes next than constantly argue about "what could have been" and "what should have been."

Yes but WHY didn't they sell? Why will a mom pick up a 3 3/4" Iron Fist over a Aqualad? Price point, action pose, accessories? If we do not look at the failures of the past, how can we expect success in the future? These Matty Q+A's should be a frank discussion between producer and the consumer. The answers are seen by a relatively few amount of eyeballs, its not like a press release or a mass email. But instead it's filled with corporate double speak and as pointed out with the SP Penguin, mixed signals. Just one "we didn't do ___ and the line suffered" would garner so much more good will than "Mom's aren't buying animated properties" Cartoons might be the BEST vehicle for selling toys in the retail isle!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:15 pm 
Cold-cast

This isn't a debate on whether JLU or YJ sold enough at retail / Mattycollector. We all know that sales were not good enough.

This is a question of whether Mattel can learn the proper lessons on WHY the sales were not good enough. YJ, JLU and DCUC all took a nosedive recently. Mattel seems to blame kids / moms / and collectors for their demise. Most of us suspect other factors.

There has been a market for DC Universe action figures since Mego. The question is, why can't Mattel make it work? Until they figure this out, all future Mattel DC lines, except for Batman, are in peril.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:39 pm 
We're going streaking!

abuddah wrote:
Excellent comment over @ itsalltrue.net
Quote:
I really dislike the fact that they want to play the “mom/kid” sales card when it comes to YJ. Many of the characters from Marvel U, GI Joe etc are unrecognizable to most parents, yet they sell right? I doubt any mom knows who Iron Fist is, but he looks cool, is posed “kicking” in the package, maybe I will pick him up? Sure there a pegwarmers, but they seem to move pretty well in my area. Those toys usually have a ton of accessories and great POA so they can actually use them. Yet you look at a YJ 4 inch figure with barely any accessories (or accessories they cannot use like a bow for Artemis) and 5 POAs and those can’t sell. They really do look like Happy meal toys, so why would a parent choose to spend $10-15 on a DC YJ toy versus a Joe or Marvel U toy? Why would a kid want a Kid Flash figure, a character whose main power is is run fast, but he cannot bend his knees or elbows (but…but he comes with a bag of chips!!!!).
It would be nice to hear them say that “being cheap really hurt the YJ line”, but I doubt we will ever hear that.
As bad as Cartoon Network has always been about their programming schedules, I think a well articulated toy line with a nice variety of characters and accessories would have kept this line selling during the drought of episodes. The initial YJ sculpts looked dead on, but I stayed away because it seemed like JLU all over again. I think they should have followed what Hasbro has been doing with lines like Joe, Marvel U and even Star Wars (especially the Animated Clone Wars stuff which has some really good articulation and accessories and similar animated look to YJ). Sigh…
And don’t even get me started on Marketing the Subscription Services so people outside the toy world actually know about this and will buy the subs. How can this not be a priority? I have actually had a few friends see my collection of MOTUC and say “Many I would love to get those”, thinking it was the old toys, not knowing they are new

I like that rant. It seems to me that DCU has lasted so long because they are good toys. Good, functional toys. Every other Mattel plastic action figure line of Super-Heroes seems to follow the JLU 5 points of articulation model. Infinite Crisis, Brave & The Bold and Young Justice all come to mind. The Batman too. All prematurely ended lines. JLU worked because it was a legacy line. I think people want more these days. Toys are too expensive already, but when you place a MU figure next to similar Mattel figures, you realize Mattel is not giving you the same value. Add in the goofy poses on static figures that kept myself away from YJ as much as the price, and it's a losing proposition.

As long as Mattel keeps making the style of DC figures they are making, I think their lines are doomed for quick exits from the toy aisle.