Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite thing about JLU?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:14 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

That it's over.

:wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:17 am 
serves the Otter

Hal Roth wrote:
Talk about a hook. To my mind there can be no better "evergreen" than the DCAU.

Brave and the Bold looked pretty "evergreen" to me. :P

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:51 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Shellhead wrote:
That it's over.

Don't make me turn this forum around Shell. I'll do it. I will. :D

I love this line, and one of the things for me is the style. The Timmverse had such a simplistic style and the toy line captured that. For me, it lends itself incredibly well to customizing. As there are already SO freaking many characters in the official line, it means even more I can add to my collection.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:59 am 
Aspires to be #1

texgnome1 wrote:
Shellhead wrote:
That it's over.

Don't make me turn this forum around Shell. I'll do it. I will. :D

I love this line, and one of the things for me is the style. The Timmverse had such a simplistic style and the toy line captured that. For me, it lends itself incredibly well to customizing. As there are already SO freaking many characters in the official line, it means even more I can add to my collection.

Besides, it's not over...

http://stewscustoms.dchallofjustice.com/store/

Especially with this

http://stewscustoms.dchallofjustice.com ... om-smasher

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:25 am 
Knows his stuff

j1h15233 wrote:

(Homer Simpson drool!)

I'd be all over that, if it were not for the fact I don't have a steady hand to paint, and painted would probably run me $150.

I really wish they had continued the 10-inch line. I need Dr. Fate, Supergirl and Black Canary to go with the eleven others.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:45 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

j1h15233 wrote:

...umm but it looks like Stew's store is over. It says, "The store will be closing as of June 17 2012".
That's not good news.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:30 am 
my tummy itches

The factory made almost flawless figures are now gone. Meaning customs are good but factory made is almost perfect. Also those of us with MOC collections are done because it's not like customized figures can be MIP. Unless you leave it in the box o which the customized sent it to you in. And where's the
Fun in that? That's why it's good to have a loose collection.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:33 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

whakojacko1976 wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

...umm but it looks like Stew's store is over. It says, "The store will be closing as of June 17 2012".
That's not good news.

Temporarily. He's selling his house because it isn't big enough and he wants a full casting room. So the store will be back in the fall and bigger and better than ever. :D :D :D

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:39 am 
Collector Inspector

WHEW! I am SO glad to hear that!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:53 am 
Aspires to be #1

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
The factory made almost flawless figures are now gone. Meaning customs are good but factory made is almost perfect. Also those of us with MOC collections are done because it's not like customized figures can be MIP. Unless you leave it in the box o which the customized sent it to you in. And where's the
Fun in that? That's why it's good to have a loose collection.

Every figure I've gotten from Stew is BETTER than factory made. And Tex is right, Stew and his store will be back when his new house gets settled.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:57 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

j1h15233 wrote:
Every figure I've gotten from Stew is BETTER than factory made. And Tex is right, Stew and his store will be back when his new house gets settled.

I may have to ask him if he'd be willing to have a go at Harbinger...

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:43 pm 
my tummy itches

I dunno. First off the only reason I've bought a figure from stew is because Mattel didn't make one . Now don't get me wrong, stews creations and molds are great. I just like factory ones better. Now thats my opinion. Besides, did you see any good custom JLU Kalibaks before he was made? Maybe a small few. No one could ever top mattels kalibak no matter what.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:00 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
I dunno. First off the only reason I've bought a figure from stew is because Mattel didn't make one . Now don't get me wrong, stews creations and molds are great. I just like factory ones better. Now thats my opinion. Besides, did you see any good custom JLU Kalibaks before he was made? Maybe a small few. No one could ever top mattels kalibak no matter what.

See I agree, for the most part the production figures are better than any custom. BUT.... there are some production figures that miss the mark due to the buck system and Mattel cutting corners. Thats when the real art of customizing kicks in and you end up with a better than production figure. One of the best examples of this are Casimirs Captain Boomerang, Mirror Master and his Ultra Humanite. Each benefit from just a little customizing to create a much more on model version of the character.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:20 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:

Most people didn't try either. Many of the top customizers held off on popular figures like Kalibak just to make sure Mattel wouldn't do that work for them.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:48 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

elvis8batman wrote:
Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:

See I agree, for the most part the production figures are better than any custom. BUT.... there are some production figures that miss the mark due to the buck system and Mattel cutting corners. Thats when the real art of customizing kicks in and you end up with a better than production figure. One of the best examples of this are Casimirs Captain Boomerang, Mirror Master and his Ultra Humanite. Each benefit from just a little customizing to create a much more on model version of the character.

Yeah I totally agree with you both.

My only problem with Stew's figures is really only in the casting material used. Just as K-Vun said above Stew's creations are awesome. I only wish there was some way he could (cheaply) replicate the materials used by Mattel. Well at least before they started giving everybody those Gumby legs. I mean I do like the head and limbs to have some flexibility. Even though I don't play with any of the figures I'd still like to think that they could be played with without having to worry about them instantly breaking. Again, I'm not trying to knock Stew's work at all. I understand why he uses what he uses but I would love something more along the lines of production-like materials.

As far as sculpts go he has absolutely made visual improvements on existing figures like Mattel's Volcana and obviously that Atom Smasher figure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next