Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite thing about JLU?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:45 am 
my tummy itches

Yeah. See with Customs I only buy figures I don't have. Other than that most of mattels figures have been acceptional.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:13 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Most of JLU's good qualities are already enumerated (selection, style, animated universe, etc.), but there's one thing I like that didn't get mentioned: The scale. I really don't like 6-inch figures because they're too cumbersome to store and display. I started out with DCUC but eventually stopped and sold them all because they were filling up my house. JLU is relatively easy to store, move, and display (toppling figures aside). Plus we did get some pretty cool vehicles and displays (I like the Javelin and the Watchtower, despite their flaws, and JLU works with all the old BTAS stuff). You don't really get that with 6-inch figures.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:36 pm 
my tummy itches

All true. But I must say, one thing good about JLU is the ability to customize bad figures and create never made ones. I love that we still have the ability to have a complete collection even with customs.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:20 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Bryan Long wrote:
Most of JLU's good qualities are already enumerated (selection, style, animated universe, etc.), but there's one thing I like that didn't get mentioned: The scale. I really don't like 6-inch figures because they're too cumbersome to store and display. I started out with DCUC but eventually stopped and sold them all because they were filling up my house. JLU is relatively easy to store, move, and display (toppling figures aside). Plus we did get some pretty cool vehicles and displays (I like the Javelin and the Watchtower, despite their flaws, and JLU works with all the old BTAS stuff). You don't really get that with 6-inch figures.

I agree with you there. I used to collect DC Direct stuff but found them to be a bit of a pain when trying to display them due to size. I eventually got rid of most of them.

I think sometimes when people mention scale they're looking at it in terms of, "Are these figures all in scale with each other?" I think for the most part they were but then there are figures like Green Arrow, Mr. Miracle, Barda, Supergirl V1, Johnny Thunder, Atom Smasher, Stargirl, Clock King, Bane, Kilowog, and a few others. Some are too big, some are too small when compared to each other. That might be the biggest thing I wish they had been able to with this line, make them more in scale with one another.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:27 pm 
my tummy itches

I think the only bad thing about JLU is that almost all of the figures have to be on stands to be displayed.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:43 am 
Resin

whakojacko1976 wrote:
Bryan Long wrote:

I agree with you there. I used to collect DC Direct stuff but found them to be a bit of a pain when trying to display them due to size. I eventually got rid of most of them.

I think sometimes when people mention scale they're looking at it in terms of, "Are these figures all in scale with each other?" I think for the most part they were but then there are figures like Green Arrow, Mr. Miracle, Barda, Supergirl V1, Johnny Thunder, Atom Smasher, Stargirl, Clock King, Bane, Kilowog, and a few others. Some are too big, some are too small when compared to each other. That might be the biggest thing I wish they had been able to with this line, make them more in scale with one another.

Totally agree with this Whacko.

Oh and favorite thing,like virtually everyone else has said, is the long list of characters we have gotten.

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:27 am 
my tummy itches

Overall, it is like 1/4 of the whole DC universe. Most of the dc likes cannot say that they have had even 1/10 of the dc universe. We all together have actually like 30%.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:36 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I second the simplicity, in large part because it reflects the simplicity of the DCAU shows: colorful superheroes wearing capes and underwear on the outside, fighting evil bad guys who are trying to take over the world because that's what bad guys DO - not the grim & gritty "realistic" completely UNFUN stuff that permeates comic book properties so much lately. I think that's one reason the Avengers movie is doing so well - it's an old school COMIC BOOK movie, not another dark deconstructed superhero movie.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:36 am 
Brand Manager

whakojacko1976 wrote:
My only problem with Stew's figures is really only in the casting material used. Just as K-Vun said above Stew's creations are awesome. I only wish there was some way he could (cheaply) replicate the materials used by Mattel. ... Again, I'm not trying to knock Stew's work at all. I understand why he uses what he uses but I would love something more along the lines of production-like materials.

As far as sculpts go he has absolutely made visual improvements on existing figures like Mattel's Volcana and obviously that Atom Smasher figure.

I only wish he would cast some of his heads and smaller figures in color (like he does with Volcana's translucent hair.) In my case, keeping paint applications to a minimum (just like Mattel does), goes a long way to simplifying the customization process. Especially when it comes to figures like Mxyzptlk and Desaad.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:40 am 
Collector Inspector

I'm still trying to find someone who can make a clear cast of a Dr Destiny head.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:15 pm 
my tummy itches

What is wrong with the destiny that Mattel is going to make?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:56 pm 
Collector Inspector

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:

Apart from the lack of boot cuffs, nothing. But I want a clear sculpt of his head for another custom I'm working on.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:33 pm 
AFA Graded

tuning4k wrote:
Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:

Apart from the lack of boot cuffs, nothing. But I want a clear sculpt of his head for another custom I'm working on.

Blight?

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:52 pm 
Collector Inspector

Nope. I already made my Blight.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:05 am 
AFA Graded

My fave thing about JLU...

....is the cool simple customablity factor.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next