Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite thing about JLU?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:19 am 
Brand Manager

tuning4k wrote:
Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
What is wrong with the destiny that Mattel is going to make?

Apart from the lack of boot cuffs, nothing.

At least they went back and gave him Aquaman's gauntlets. So who knows... maybe there's a chance they fixed that, too.

Then again, it's always one step forward, one step back with these guys.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:13 pm 
my tummy itches

If they fixed the gauntlets, why wouldn't they fix that too.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:47 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:

Well ToyGuru made it a point to say that they'd be using the gauntlet arms but mentioned nothing about the cuffed legs. I'm not sure they realize it's an issue. I think they sometimes forget they have those legs. They should've been used on Blue Devil too.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:40 pm 
Brand Manager

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:

Because they wouldn't know to fix it unless the person that pointed out the gloves, also pointed out the boots. I mean, lets face it. They are not on top of these things. Case in point, Mongul. We all knew his color was off the moment we saw him in during Toy Fair 2011. And yet... a year later... during Toy Fair 2012... there's a spot during the presentation where Toy Guru asks a fan "what's wrong with him?" And I get it. He is a busy guy. But I kinda expected more from a self-professed Green Lantern fan who already had 3 Mongul releases under his belt. Four if you count the Man of Steel/Superman Returns video game Mongul.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:55 pm 
my tummy itches

Of course. But didn't someone point it out?

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:55 am 
Brand Manager

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
Of course. But didn't someone point it out?

When we first saw Dr. Destiny, we pointed out the gloves... the boots... and that his face and inside of the hood, needed a black paint application. What Toy Guru saw, and what got "through" to him, are things entirely off our hands. There's nothing we can do about that.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:45 pm 
my tummy itches

Who knows. Maybe it did get through to him. But don't they have a picture of the actual figure that they can sculpt correctly the first time?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:22 am 
Collector Inspector

Perhaps it's a packaging issue? Maybe the cuffed boots won't fit into the predesigned tray or something? Barring that, it may be that the legs don't work with the figure's skirt, or maybe the legs don't fit the torso (not every JLU part is 100% interchangeable, and those boot cuffs require some extra space between the legs -- I've encountered problems before when adding cuffs to JLU figures because there's not enough clearance on some). I guess my point is there's probably a hundred reasons for not making the change, and we'll probably never know which one is the real one.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:41 am 
Resin

Bryan Long wrote:
Perhaps it's a packaging issue? Maybe the cuffed boots won't fit into the predesigned tray or something? Barring that, it may be that the legs don't work with the figure's skirt, or maybe the legs don't fit the torso (not every JLU part is 100% interchangeable, and those boot cuffs require some extra space between the legs -- I've encountered problems before when adding cuffs to JLU figures because there's not enough clearance on some). I guess my point is there's probably a hundred reasons for not making the change, and we'll probably never know which one is the real one.

Hmmm...I have both the "prototype" and a great custom by the omnipresent Stew (based largely on a cast of my proto) that has cuffed legs that everyone asked for (along with other improvements). No issues with the legs there. I can see, maybe, the packaging being an issue but not a part swap issue. Considering some of the other misteps with colors and height etc with previous offerings I dont think these are 1) Awful misques nor 2) Unexpected. Just my $0.02 :mrgreen:

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:58 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Dr. Destiny, Aquaman, and Captain Marvel all appear to share the same torso. Therefore, the Dr Destiny torso should be compatible with both Aquaman's arms and Captain Marvel's legs. Although, like Bryan Long said, it could be an issue with the skirt. Apparently the cuffed legs used on Mary Batson were formed differently at the hips from the standard JLU female legs so it is possible that Dr. Destiny's legs were formed differently at the hips as well to accommodate his skirt.

I guess packaging would be an issue if the trays were made up before this issue was/is discovered.

Why the heck didn't we just ask this question in one of the last few Q&A's lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:09 pm 
Collector Inspector

The boot cuff/skirt combo wasn't a problem for Dr Mid-Nite. Them again, his torso might have been different.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 pm 
Brand Manager

whakojacko1976 wrote:

Because Mattel, in their ETERNAL stubbornness, will not show figures until they are too far along for them to correct many of their mistakes. And they do not discuss "leaked" figures. Plus, in Dr. Destiny's case, they were stringently adamant about JLU being dead.

And in all honesty, how can you have a conversation with someone who immediately tries to shut you up, and whose only train of thought seemed to be - "It's not going to happen. Fans vote with their wallets and at the end of the day, JLU fans were louder then[sic] numerous."

Hell, even when we were talking among ourselves, you couldn't go three posts without someone posting "It's not going to happen. JLU is dead. Move on!"

Funny how that turned out, though.

Last edited by red Ricky on Fri May 18, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:53 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

I loved the sculpt design of them. Especially the Batman. I also loved the character selection.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:13 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

red Ricky wrote:
whakojacko1976 wrote:

Because Mattel, in their ETERNAL stubbornness, will not show figures until they are too far along for them to correct many of their mistakes. And they do not discuss "leaked" figures. Plus, in Dr. Destiny's case, they were stringently adamant about JLU being dead.

And in all honesty, how can you have a conversation with someone who immediately tries to shut you up, and whose only train of thought seemed to be - "It's not going to happen. Fans vote with their wallets and at the end of the day, JLU fans were louder then[sic] numerous."

Hell, even when we were talking among ourselves, you couldn't go three posts without someone posting "It's not going to happen. JLU is dead. Move on!"

Funny how that turned out, though.

Right lol... I get all of that but my point is as soon as they announced they were making all the final six packs and that the Dr Destiny figure, unlike the one officially shown, would have the Aquaman arms, we should have jumped on them then about using the Red Tornado legs. It may not have been too late a few months ago. But then yeah... after being met with the usual resistance from Mattel (and some fans) I guess you get a little tired of trying.

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask about it now. The worst they can say is no... and then do it anyway :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:45 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Favorite thing about JLU...

I honestly think that my favorite part about the line is the fact that they sold a series of figures using only a few different bucks. This one feature is what made me love this line. I had just begun customizing figures when this line appeared. I was hunting flea markets and yard sales to find (non Batman) figures at the time for customs in the TNBA line.

Back then I was going a few (horrible) customs, but didn't really hooked until I ran across a custom site by chance one day. It showed me what I could do with a little paint, sculpey and a lot of patience. So though my love for this line started just before it existed, it was because of this line that I am still customizing.

Also have to say that I love the community that this line has given us. There have been very few lines out there that have been given so much by a toy company long after (for profit reasons) the line should have gone away. Yeah, I know that there are other factors, but I haven't seen anyone do the same for any other toy line. There have been no facebook pages that promote the continuation of a toy line.

So basically my favorite thing about JLU is the fact that basic customs were easy and allowed me to get progressively better and the other customizers that share their knowledge and creations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next