Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 DC Universe Club Infinite Earths
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:56 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I'm more than likely in it for the duration. But for me, an ideal would be to get a DCUC version of each character that was on JLU (not characters create for JLU, just ones from the comics) and then just flesh out the casts of characters from the main heroes, so more heroes and villains from the Batman, Superman and Flash books.

And like others have said, I'd like some of the more classic costumes, the versions most identifiable for each character. I mean the fact we still don't have a Wally West Flash or a proper Tim Drake Robin in his original outfit (that cruddy Walmart repaint doesn't cut it, new sculpt please Mattel, on the small teen buck) are pretty glaring mistakes if you ask me.

But if theres one thing that Mattel really need to get their head around it's using the correct parts for each character and getting the scale right. If they don't have the right buck for a character then either make it or leave it till your ready to do it right. It stops fans getting mad and also you don't have to try and fit in redoing it at a later date, like with Sinestro.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:13 am 
Aspires to be #1

The Superfly wrote:
A year ago? YES in a heartbeat.

Now? I dunno...

Could be brand fatigue. With the clunky and discouraging relaunch of DC, I'm barely interested in DC Comics properties anymore. I never, ever thought that would happen. I am finding myself drawn more and more to the DCU and comics of the past, which obviously is not a focus for current WB licensing. I am superbummed that I will never see a classic Trickster, or Elongated Man, or Chronos, or Perez Zatanna, or classic Adam Strange figure on the shelf. Same for now-obsolete 90s characters like original Kyle Rayner, Wally West Flash, Connor Hawke Green Arrow, Zauriel, and hook Aquaman.

And maybe it's the lazy execution of the figures we've seen so far. Rocket Red is ridiculously huge, and the scale of Atrocitus and Jay are wonky. And we don't even get bonus items like a red plasma construct, or Jay's correct boots, or an extra hand for Starman with the Legion ring, or numbered stickers for Rocket Red customization. All I repeatedly hear is "it didn't price out" but I thought the whole point of this Club was to give us these little touches and bonus items that can't be at retail? Once again, Mattel takes the cheap and inattentive route.

So for now, I will say "maybe". Mattel really needs to step it up at SDCC and earn my support. :?

The reason none of those little extras are coming is because they went ahead with the sub even though they got NO WHERE near the amount of people to sign up as they wanted.

And I would think the only chance you would have of getting all the figures you listed would be in the sub. It certainly won't happen at retail now.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:19 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
The reason none of those little extras are coming is because they went ahead with the sub even though they got NO WHERE near the amount of people to sign up as they wanted.
And I would think the only chance you would have of getting all the figures you listed would be in the sub. It certainly won't happen at retail now.

Mattel shouldn't throw any of this in our face though. Not saying they are, just saying if they are making excuses, they shouldnt' be able to use that one, or try to make light of.

If we didn't support it enough with our purchases for it to go through, yet Mattel did it anyways, that's completely on that (and I'm not saying that's a bad thing). But I don't think they should use that excuse to us.

At this point, kind of like the others, I'm on the tail end of my figure buying days. I'm getting rid of what I don't want, and because I'm committed to the sub this year I have to buy it. I'm leaning more towards no than yes, but that could change.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

j1h15233 wrote:

Yes, yes, I keep hearing that same apologist rhetoric. So Mattel is just doing us a favor, and we should just be happy with whatever they give us, despite how little effort they put into the finished product?

Come on.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 am 
Aspires to be #1

The Superfly wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

Yes, yes, I keep hearing that same apologist rhetoric. So Mattel is just doing us a favor, and we should just be happy with whatever they give us, despite how little effort they put into the finished product?

Come on.

Yea that's exactly what I said. I said they did us a favor, that I was completely happy about it, and that I expect little effort for my money. :roll:

Or maybe I just stated the facts of what happened. We all saw that stupid meter they put up, we all heard them say we had to fill it or no sub, and we all saw over 50% of it unfilled when the sub was announced as going through. Note to self, don't bother replying to your posts.

Post subject: Re: 2013 DC Universe Club Infinite Earths - will you sign up
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:13 am 

look, I can do the eyeroll too: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The point is, instead of asking the same questions, you are willing to repeatedly make excuses for the lack of execution from Mattel, and blindly and happily throw money at the world's largest toy manufacturer and receive average products.

Of course, that is your absolute right. And if you are satisfied, so be it. I just expect more from a "fan club" that is supposed to cater to collectors. We're certainly paying a premium, and I expect the end product to reflect that.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:14 am 

I'll put it this way - if we get some of these, I'm IN.

If we get this, I'm OUT.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:33 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

@ Ryan, I'd definitely be giddy if we got some of what's on your list there. It would be an easy sell for me. But getting some new 52 stuff (contingent on what it was) wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I actually like some of those designs.

As to your list, I'd love to get:

Kyle
hook hand Aquaman
Perez Zatanna
Mera
Tempest
Liberty Belle
Uncle Sam
The Ray
Phantom Lady
Classic Black Lightning
Shining Knight (w/Winged Victory of course :wink:)
Vigilante
Huntress
Zauriel
Aztek

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:58 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I'd sign up for a John Constantine

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:59 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Good lord can you imagine how awesome the Horsemen's version of Aztek would be? Great googly moogly. Same with Mera - honestly she's way overdue in my opinion. And Starro would make a fantastic oversized quarterly figure.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:14 pm 
Aspires to be #1

The Superfly wrote:
look, I can do the eyeroll too: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The point is, instead of asking the same questions, you are willing to repeatedly make excuses for the lack of execution from Mattel, and blindly and happily throw money at the world's largest toy manufacturer and receive average products.

Of course, that is your absolute right. And if you are satisfied, so be it. I just expect more from a "fan club" that is supposed to cater to collectors. We're certainly paying a premium, and I expect the end product to reflect that.

I guess I missed the part where I said that too. I get that your pissy about all this but you're not reading my posts right. I'm not arguing with you and I'm not making excuses for Mattel. I was just stating their rationalization for not including the stuff we should get.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:48 pm 

j1h15233 wrote:
Note to self, don't bother replying to your posts.

BUSTED!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:50 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

IF they keep giving us classic characters and stay away from the new 52 designs then I'm in for at least 2 subs.
Boots

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/foru ... 351#157351

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:28 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Well come July, I know for a fact that I will buy 30 subs no matter what the figures are. I will resell 29 and keep 1 of the monthly figures.

Its a win win, that way I make 5 to 10 extra bucks a figure and help the sub live on, so everyone can get the classics figures we all want in the future.

You might think its a lot of money to invest, almost $600 or more a month....but that is why credit cards are for....ha.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:47 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Superfly wrote:
A year ago? YES in a heartbeat.

Now? I dunno...

Could be brand fatigue. With the clunky and discouraging relaunch of DC, I'm barely interested in DC Comics properties anymore. I never, ever thought that would happen. I am finding myself drawn more and more to the DCU and comics of the past, which obviously is not a focus for current WB licensing. I am superbummed that I will never see a classic Trickster, or Elongated Man, or Chronos, or Perez Zatanna, or classic Adam Strange figure on the shelf. Same for now-obsolete 90s characters like original Kyle Rayner, Wally West Flash, Connor Hawke Green Arrow, Zauriel, and hook Aquaman.

And maybe it's the lazy execution of the figures we've seen so far. Rocket Red is ridiculously huge, and the scale of Atrocitus and Jay are wonky. And we don't even get bonus items like a red plasma construct, or Jay's correct boots, or an extra hand for Starman with the Legion ring, or numbered stickers for Rocket Red customization. All I repeatedly hear is "it didn't price out" but I thought the whole point of this Club was to give us these little touches and bonus items that can't be at retail? Once again, Mattel takes the cheap and inattentive route.

So for now, I will say "maybe". Mattel really needs to step it up at SDCC and earn my support. :?

Great post.

The whole "it didn't price out" line is a bunch of crap.

Mattel's CEO paid himself a 1.25 Million Dollar salary in 2010 and 2011. Not to mention, he was given compensation valued at $10.8 million, mostly in stock and option awards. Oh, and let's not forget the perks! $283,172 in all, including $51,707 for personal use of company aircraft, $30,000 for a company car and $124,038 in retirement contributions.

You can read all about it right here.

30 grand a year for a company car.

And this is the same company that can't afford a scythe for Nekron.

This whole "sub" thing is a crock. It's just corporate greed at it's worst.

There was never any need for a "sub". This company is far from broke. Just put the figures up for sale on the site. If there aren't enough people interested in a Golden Age Flash or Poison Ivy or whoever to "turn the machines on", then guess what, Mattel? You pay your execs way too much.

Everything they've done (Rocket Red's epic scale fail, Jay's boots, ect) was correctable. But if they spend the money to do that, their jooglejam CEO may only get a 10.75 million dollar bonus instead of 10.8.

Can't have that.

It's inhuman to make a guy live on as little as 10.7 million a year.

Mike
(I hate Mattel. I wish they'd take their stupid Barbies, Hot Wheels and dumbass 80's cartoon properties and just go away.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next