Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 DC Universe Club Infinite Earths - will you sign up
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:18 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Alright, I have to ask. What is wrong with jays boots?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:37 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

j1h15233 wrote:
Alright, I have to ask. What is wrong with jays boots?

That.

Plus: He's too tall. Another scale fail.

Mike
(Good one, Mattel! And we should sign up for 2013 ... why, exactly?)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:07 pm 
PVC

Something like the following seems like a good place to start with character selection for a 2013 sub that would satisfy most people.

Huntress
Ra's Al Ghul
Elongated Man
Mera
Mad Hatter
Prometheus
Weather Wizard (or Heat Wave or James Jesse Trickster) in modern costume
Larfleeze (or Saint Walker)
Zauriel
Miss Martian
Liberty Bell
Chronos

Oversized

Rita Farr
Lead
Doomsday (or Oracle)
Fire/Ice 2-Pack

Exclusive

Granny Goodness
or
Uncle Sam
or
John Constantine
or
Shining Knight with Winged Victory
or
Lois Lane with Jimmy Olsen 2-Pack

This is maybe too Justice League centric and possibly too many very desirable characters if they want to try to keep the sub going for several years. I haven't even considered tooling costs as I'm not sure who would need what. Obviously Granny, Lead and I think Doomsday would be mostly new sculpts. Also none of the villians turned out to be female somehow.

Seems like a decent place to start though.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:42 am 
5" Scale

new topic same back and forth crap lol

Im looking forward to seeing what we are getting for the rest of the year and next year.

If you dont like what mattel is doing, do not support the sub, simple.

if you like what they are doing support the sub.

And yes Mattel is a huge corp that wants to make all the money they can, and as far as the higher ups getting too much money, I will just add this, I never got a job from a poor man lol

Post subject: Re: 2013 DC Universe Club Infinite Earths
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:00 am 
categorically opposed

SDcomics wrote:
The whole "it didn't price out" line is a bunch of crap.

Mattel's CEO paid himself a 1.25 Million Dollar salary in 2010 and 2011. Not to mention, he was given compensation valued at $10.8 million, mostly in stock and option awards. Oh, and let's not forget the perks! $283,172 in all, including $51,707 for personal use of company aircraft, $30,000 for a company car and $124,038 in retirement contributions.

And? I work for a large financial institution, and our CEO routinely makes $16 million a year. Meanwhile, the company hasn't given its employees a bonus since 2006. It's not uncommon.

SDcomics wrote:
And this is the same company that can't afford a scythe for Nekron.

Of course, the company as a whole can afford it. The piece of the pie that the boys' division gets, though? Different story.

SDcomics wrote:
There was never any need for a "sub". This company is far from broke. Just put the figures up for sale on the site. If there aren't enough people interested in a Golden Age Flash or Poison Ivy or whoever to "turn the machines on", then guess what, Mattel? You pay your execs way too much.

It's not about the company being broke. You make it sound like every penny that Mattel makes should be available to any division to do whatever they want at any point in time.

And Joel, Jay's boots aren't wrong. He's been shown with both - these boots were just the cheaper way to go. And as you well know by now, anything that Mattel does that doesn't involve a new cost is going to ripped to shreds.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:19 am 
Cold-cast

I think the fact that Mattel demands such massive profits for each line is a good point to make. Not all DC Universe characters are going to give Mattel a multi-million dollar profit, but that doesn't mean they aren't profitable and wouldn't be worth making for a smaller company.

Mattel is definitely the right home for Dark Knight and DC Movie toys...but it is possible that a smaller toy company, with less overhead, would not struggle so much to profit on the rest of the DC Universe.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:22 am 
declined to be a vampire

batfink wrote:
I think the fact that Mattel demands such massive profits for each line is a good point to make. Not all DC Universe characters are going to give Mattel a multi-million dollar profit, but that doesn't mean they aren't profitable and wouldn't be worth making for a smaller company.

Mattel is definitely the right home for Dark Knight and DC Movie toys...but it is possible that a smaller toy company, with less overhead, would not struggle so much to profit on the rest of the DC Universe.

Why make something and not try to maximize profits? If you're a for profit company, isn't that the point?

As for the last sentence...interesting concept.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:41 am 
categorically opposed

batfink wrote:

The problem with that is that a smaller company with less overhead wouldn't be able to leverage the funds needed to buy the rights to the DC Universe as a whole.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:00 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Even if a small company could get the funding, which small company could pull off quality and selection without wanting to go back and re-do everyone we already have?...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:20 am 
Cold-cast

DC Collectibles would be perfect, but they are clearly under Mattel's thumb in terms of product they are allowed to make. Look at the new Captain Action stuff, licensed to them by Marvel. I don't think the quality suffers on those. Or Square Enix with the Batman Arkham Asylum figures...great quality, albeit expensive.

I'm just saying that maybe DC should think about breaking off Batman, Superman and movie properties for Mattel and give the rest of the DCU to someone that can make it work. Sure beats shelving entire properties like DCUC or the DC animated universe.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:51 am 
5" Scale

batfink wrote:
DC Collectibles would be perfect, but they are clearly under Mattel's thumb in terms of product they are allowed to make. Look at the new Captain Action stuff, licensed to them by Marvel. I don't think the quality suffers on those. Or Square Enix with the Batman Arkham Asylum figures...great quality, albeit expensive.

I'm just saying that maybe DC should think about breaking off Batman, Superman and movie properties for Mattel and give the rest of the DCU to someone that can make it work. Sure beats shelving entire properties like DCUC or the DC animated universe.

All those you listed are only intrested in focusing on A movers, that a lone is a no for me

And DC Collectibles is owned by WB, the same company that Mattel has to pay for the rights to make DC products.

DC Collectibles, doesn't want to do a ton of action figures, b/c its hard to make good easy money, ask anyone that is or has ever been invovled in the action figure business.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:52 am 
categorically opposed

batfink wrote:

I think it's the other way around. DC Collectibles is owned by DC Comics, so, if anything, Mattel is under DCC's thumb. Mattel has to get approval for every character that they want to make; I'm sure those approvals aren't in place for DCC. And judging by their action figure output in recent years (incomplete teams, varying scales, and an undeniable focus on almost exclusively big-name characters), I don't think they're the best option - especially if you see how their output has almost come to a complete halt.

batfink wrote:

Hasbro couldn't make the DCU work, either. Maybe it has less to do with the company than it does with the property itself.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:31 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

SDcomics wrote:
Mattel's CEO paid himself a 1.25 Million Dollar salary in 2010 and 2011. Not to mention, he was given compensation valued at $10.8 million, mostly in stock and option awards. Oh, and let's not forget the perks! $283,172 in all, including $51,707 for personal use of company aircraft, $30,000 for a company car and $124,038 in retirement contributions.

You can read all about it right here.

30 grand a year for a company car.

And this is the same company that can't afford a scythe for Nekron.

This whole "sub" thing is a crock. It's just corporate greed at it's worst.

There was never any need for a "sub". This company is far from broke. Just put the figures up for sale on the site. If there aren't enough people interested in a Golden Age Flash or Poison Ivy or whoever to "turn the machines on", then guess what, Mattel? You pay your execs way too much.

Everything they've done (Rocket Red's epic scale fail, Jay's boots, ect) was correctable. But if they spend the money to do that, their jooglejam CEO may only get a 10.75 million dollar bonus instead of 10.8.

Can't have that.

It's inhuman to make a guy live on as little as 10.7 million a year.

Mike

WORKERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!!!!!

When did this thread devolve into Occupy propaganda? :roll:

I don't see Cuba, Russia, or North Korea making awesome DC figures.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:46 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I bet the head of Mattel's kid has nothing but Hasbro toys! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:12 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

MoMoney wrote:
And Joel, Jay's boots aren't wrong. He's been shown with both - these boots were just the cheaper way to go. And as you well know by now, anything that Mattel does that doesn't involve a new cost is going to ripped to shreds.

Actually, they are incorrect. Do you really feel this:

matches any of these?

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next