Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Am I the only adult male on here... (Monster High thread)
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:23 am 
5th Horseman

... who likes Monster High?

I mean, I tried for almost 2 years to ignore this line. But I gotta tell ya, I'm hooked. The switch for me was the Create-A-Monster sets, specifically, the girl with the Skeleton limbs. WHAT!? A "fashion" doll with exposed bones!?!? I'm twisted enough to get joy out of that!

The "entertainment" is crap for this, but the line is pretty awesome. It's not going to have a Brony swell the way MLP does because there's no cool cartoon to fill out the time between product. But I gotta tell you, I feel no shame in picking up an Abby Bominable or Operetta along with my GI Joe Renegades, or Transformer Prime, or Marvel Universe, or Avengers.

I'm a man. A man who likes Monster High.

Post subject: Re: Am I the only adult male on here...
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:58 am 
BANNED

I not going to buy the line because most of the figures are females and I really love the males and male figures but I love all the colors, logos and atmohsphere of this line, is fantastic!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:35 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

AnimateTed wrote:
The switch for me was the Create-A-Monster sets

Well, I did see those and thought that they were pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:31 pm 
Wonderdog

You're not alone. These are cool. I wish they'd been around when my daughter was younger, but I have a niece who is completely hooked, so I get to shop for them. Then again, I'm a guy who will drop three bills or more on a 12-inch Ashley Wood 3A Tomorrow Queen, so....

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:07 pm 
my tummy itches

To the question up top of course not. And well then. I really just cannot see the light in this line. It is like zombie barbie.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:27 am 
Loose, Missing Package

AnimateTed wrote:
... who likes Monster High?

Nope. We had a pretty good thread going, I'd actually meant to raise it from the dead over the weekend.

BTW, if anyone is still looking for Cupid, apparently Walmart is getting new shipments in.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:06 am 
Collector Inspector

Jim_Abell wrote:
Nope. We had a pretty good thread going, I'd actually meant to raise it from the dead over the weekend.

ha, ha, Nice one. :) You should write Monster High packaging copy for Mattel!

I like them. I bought the zombie girl one, I forgot her name, because she looks great with the rest of my monster toy display (Universal monsters, japanese monsters, goulish stuff). Although, after I heard her voice in the cartoon, it gave me nightmares. :shock:

I have 3 boys, but if I had girls, I'd be happy to buy these instead of all the princess junk. No way am I ever buying a pony, no offense bronies. I like monster stuff, and the dolls look fun and punky. I was surprised when the toys took off like they did, I didn't see that coming. But I'm glad they did, they add some variety in the aisles full of pink stuff. Do they all use the same head/face?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:21 am 
Loose, Missing Package

funtime3 wrote:
Jim_Abell wrote:

ha, ha, Nice one. :) You should write Monster High packaging copy for Mattel!

I like them. I bought the zombie girl one, I forgot her name, because she looks great with the rest of my monster toy display (Universal monsters, japanese monsters, goulish stuff). Although, after I heard her voice in the cartoon, it gave me nightmares. :shock:

I have 3 boys, but if I had girls, I'd be happy to buy these instead of all the princess junk. No way am I ever buying a pony, no offense bronies. I like monster stuff, and the dolls look fun and punky. I was surprised when the toys took off like they did, I didn't see that coming. But I'm glad they did, they add some variety in the aisles full of pink stuff. Do they all use the same head/face?

Honestly, that pun was unintentional (I had just gotten in from a crappy night at work), didn't even think about it until you pointed it out...

Ghoulia Yelps is the zombie girl and her voice is provide by one of the webisode producers who also voices Mr. Hack and all of the male zombies in the series (yes, she's voiced by a guy).

As for the heads question, as far as I know, only Ghoulia's head has been reused and that was for Cupid (though the twin werecats may also share a head sculpt). The heads are very similar but tend to have unique ears and/or other little details that takes better eyes than mine to differentiate between them.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:29 am 
Collector Inspector

That's interesting. I stare at the faces, and they all look alike, as far as the main features go. I know there's extra features like teeth and ears but the main faces look really similar. The paint jobs are really good and do a good job off distinguishing each face.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:53 am 
Loose, Missing Package

funtime3 wrote:
That's interesting. I stare at the faces, and they all look alike, as far as the main features go. I know there's extra features like teeth and ears but the main faces look really similar. The paint jobs are really good and do a good job off distinguishing each face.

Yeah, I've always been amazed looking at Barbie heads and knowing that so many use the same mold but how different a slight change in paint will make them...

Anyway, the original six girls look quite a bit alike, but the newer ones I can really see differences in... Spectra has very defined cheekbones (she looks to me like she was scultped to look like Avril Lavigne) and Rochelle has huge eyes compared to the others. I don't think any of the fangs are sculpted, I think they rely strictly on paint for those (Claude may be an exception, I haven't looked at his face very closely).

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:04 am 
Collector Inspector

My inner-Goth and mild monster fetish thinks it's a very cool concept and a great looking line. But in the battle for who control my wallet my inner-superhero junkie wins every time.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:19 am 
5th Horseman

I spent about 400.00 this weekend on these dolls. I'm obsessed. It's like crack!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:56 pm 
We're going streaking!

When I first saw them online, I thought they were cool. I don't recall if this was when Mattel had The Bratz removed from the shelves or right before, but my now 11 year old daughter was, at the time, into Bratz first, and Barbie second. While she was looking to spend her money on a new doll at TRU, I spotted the first wave of Monster High and pointed them out to her. She came home with Draculaura and has been hooked every since. She just used a gift card to buy Rochelle yesterday and has at least one of every character now. And yes, the Monster High aisle is always one of my stops in the toy aisle.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I have been buying the dolls since they first came out. I do not buy the dolls in the different outfits, just the main characters. I have on occasion bought a few different outfits Jackson Hyde in his beach outfit (since that was the first version) and now his school outfit.

I have to orginial Mego Universal Monsters and now the reissue Monsters. So I just had buy there kids. I really want them in action figure form, I would even take happy meals toys.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:58 pm 
5th Horseman

monitor_ep wrote:
I have been buying the dolls since they first came out. I do not buy the dolls in the different outfits, just the main characters. I have on occasion bought a few different outfits Jackson Hyde in his beach outfit (since that was the first version) and now his school outfit.

I have to orginial Mego Universal Monsters and now the reissue Monsters. So I just had buy there kids. I really want them in action figure form, I would even take happy meals toys.

Same here. I had to give myself some constraints, and I only get the basic versions. The design is just awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next