Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DC Super Hero Girls
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:27 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Mattel is launching a new action figure line specifically targeted to girls. Action figures, not dolls (although if it's a success, I wouldn't be surprised if a doll line comes along too.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/22/wb-and-dc-entertainment-in-partnership-with-mattel-launch-dc-super-hero-girls

Post subject: Re: DC Super Hero Girls
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:52 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:09 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

This is brilliant and a LONG time coming! I am very excited and hopehopehopePRAY Mattel can pull it off. I am also glad to see LEGO involved, and that there will be plenty of media tie-ins (books, toons etc.)

This is especially heartening considering all the news lately on how Marvel/Disney completely and intentionally ignores the ladies in their superhero movie marketing (Avengers, GOTG etc)

I will support this 110%, and I know Mattel will frustrate the heck out of me for doing so, but this is a big step towards a different way of corporate thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:35 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

I saw no pics of figures but if they are accurate to the art, I agree with SD.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:06 pm 
AFA Graded

I showed my 10 year old daughter and she's excited by it. And she's in the demographic they are marketing it to anyway. Kind of surprised that Vixen, Black Canary, Stargirl, or Hawkgirl weren't shown.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:24 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Quote:
Mattel to Launch Company’s First Action Figures for Girls

I think someone forgot about the Princess of Power line...

Wildcard wrote:
not dolls (although if it's a success, I wouldn't be surprised if a doll line comes along too.

Dolls are planned...

Quote:
As master toy licensee, Mattel is collaborating with DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Bros. Consumer Products on DC Super Hero Girls’ narrative creation, interactive digital activations and ultimately a toy line launching in 2016. Mattel category-leading firsts include a line of characters for the action figure category, an area of the industry that has been primarily developed with boys in mind, and fashion dolls featuring strong, athletic bodies that stand on their own in heroic poses.

Nightwing73 wrote:
Kind of surprised that Vixen, Black Canary, Stargirl, or Hawkgirl weren't shown.

Not mentioned by name, but I can't imagine that they won't be part of this... Raven and Starfire are really the two that I find odd not to see...

Quote:
Featuring a completely new artistic style and aesthetic, DC Comics’ icons such as Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Bumble Bee, Poison Ivy, Katana and many more make their unprecedented teenaged introduction.

Personally I'm surprised they didn't expand upon Super Best Friends Forever for this project. Not sold on all of the designs but they're far better than the pink and silver or tutu-fied Halloween costumes that have been out there for years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:17 pm 
An Insider

Let's hope that Mattel will add elbow joints to the female action figures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:04 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I don't even have a daughter and I'm in support of this line.

Perhaps its time to start becoming better acquainted with my nieces that live on the other coast ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:30 am 
Fugitive Dust

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I stand behind any project that makes the characters I grew up with kid friendly again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:07 am 
Resin

This will be great for my nieces. I'll support it whole heartedly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:57 pm 
AFA Graded

Batgirl is my daughter's favorite and she really liked her design and she's hoping they actually do a hoody like the one she's wearing.

Jim you are right about Starfire and Raven those are two you would figure they would promote. And I'm surprised Catwoman one of the most famous DC female characters wasn't in the there

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:55 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Nitewing73 wrote:
Jim you are right about Starfire and Raven those are two you would figure they would promote. And I'm surprised Catwoman one of the most famous DC female characters wasn't in the there

I don't know about Catwoman, but I'd guess Raven and Starfire aren't included because they're already licensed to Bandai through Teen Titans Go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:31 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Actually it's Jazwarez that has the TTG license and it still shouldn't be a problem for Mattel as long as the character designs don't look like TTG. After all, they did put out Raven and Starfire in DCIH and DCUC when Bandai had the Teen Titans license and it's certainly never stopped them from making Robin or Cyborg (or Deathstroke) in any line.

I really don't see the figure line as being super-articulated collector fare but I do hope that the figures are at least comparable to the "evergreen" Batman line before it went 4" scale. It would be great if they were more like the 200x He-Man or Batman stuff that the Horsemen were doing (meaning that sort of quality, not the design aesthetic). Really hope they manage to keep the toys on-model to what animation and publishing are doing. Also curious as to how the male heroes will appear within this project. Will they be shown in, at least, a passing capacity or will they be ignored all together? Personally I think that one of the Robins will show up at the very least... but then again, in this world Robin could be Stephanie or Carrie...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:11 am 
Fugitive Dust

Jim_Abell wrote:
Actually it's Jazwarez.

Oh is it? I try my best to block out anything to do with TTG.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:13 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

TTGo is truly Awesome. You should come back in and give it another try. So much fun.