Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel please listen !
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:29 pm 
Variant Head

Ok so here is a great idea for a way to refresh the DC Universe Classics line. A Flash theme wave of figures ! The show is on fire right now and so is Arrow. Why not make a wave of say 5 re releases and one unique build a figure. Heres the pitch -

Flash
Professor Zoom
Captain Cold
Mirror Master
Captain Boomerang
with collect and connect Heavewave

These would sell so well to fans of the show and would force DC Universe Classics fans to cough up some serious money to get that Heatwave figure.

Post subject: Re: Mattel please listen !
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:57 am 
Bob Vila

PBateman wrote:
Ok so here is a great idea for a way to refresh the DC Universe Classics line. A Flash theme wave of figures ! The show is on fire right now and so is Arrow. Why not make a wave of say 5 re releases and one unique build a figure. Heres the pitch -

Flash
Professor Zoom
Captain Cold
Mirror Master
Captain Boomerang

These would sell so well to fans of the show and would force DC Universe Classics fans to cough up some serious money to get that Heatwave figure.

I am definitely on board for DCUC to be brought back to retail under a new banner. If you did this line like you suggest though, there would have to be slight paint deco changes to warrant the repurchases, despite the CnC.

I'd suggest the following:
Flash - The Wally West Flash but with brighter gold detailing and a slight change in the red used.
Professor Zoom - Just a bit more shading on the yellow suit
Captain Cold - Make the grey on his suit white like it should be
Mirror Master - Can't see how that can be altered much, so maybe put Impulse in there instead?
Captain Boomerang - Issue the classic version, not the one we got.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:54 am 
Variant Head

Too much tooling I think thats why I did all straight re releases with the all new collect and connect , just seems more likely. Honestly this is a very cheap way for Mattel to get these figures out there again, they will sell to fans of the show. They need to look at Hasbro and how they are backing up their properties but honestly at this point with Scott jumping ship I have so little faith in Mattel its sad. I think everything he started is leaving right behind him. Mattel will go back to what they where before, I doubt even the Batman VS Superman movie will have any adult collector figures. BUT if Mattel where to want to try to reinvigorate the DC Universe Classics style / brand the 5 re-releases with the ALL NEW Collect and Connect Heatwave would be a really good way to do it. Wave 2 could be more like -

Impulse
Firestorm (re release granted he appears in the show as I am lead to believe)
another Flash (Metallic paint job , or some other slight variant)
Classic Captain Boomerang
Weather Wizard
Collect and Connect Gorilla Grodd (Maybe toss a fierce opened mouth yelling head on him and loose weapon thing he had)

See the new figures in the wave would be supported by the cheap collect and connect lots of balance and money to be made

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:29 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Sorry, saw the title of this thread and all I could think of was Link and Navi hahaha.... So had to share this for you. :D

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:33 am 
Loose, Missing Package

tex, I have no clue about that reference whatsoever but I'm not going to complain about it one bit... :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:27 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

You've got my attention Tex.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:38 am 
Collector Inspector

It's an interesting proposal, but I don't think there is any way the DCUC line will be revived at this point. The line survived for many years and through several incarnations (Super Heroes, Classics, Legacy, Unlimited, Signature, Super Powers), but Mattel has said the line is ending.

Retailers are not interested because many of the figures from the line did not sell well; no one wants to see Captain Cold collecting dust on the pegs again. Even Mattel had a difficult time selling DCUC figures directly to adult collectors on the Mattycollector site. And anyone can get Flash-related figures on eBay pretty cheaply these days.

A smarter way to get those figures produced would be for Mattel to pitch to retailers a new line of TV-based figures, with a wave from Flash, a wave from Arrow and a wave from Gotham, for example. Supergirl and Constantine are other possibilities.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:50 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Jim_Abell wrote:
tex, I have no clue about that reference whatsoever but I'm not going to complain about it one bit... :D

LOL have you never played any of the Legend of Zelda games? Most of them have a fairy that runs around at certain points and annoyingly stops you with "Hey Listen!" So the title of the thread made me think of that. :D

But really, it was just an excuse to post that picture hahahaha...

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:06 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I agree with Greg to a point. Retail (at least around here) has *finally* gotten rid of the stragglers from GLC2 and waves 16, 17, 18, 20 and 21 (wave 19 being the only one of the last waves that didn't stick around long anywhere locally). Retail is not ready for a return especially not for anything other than the top tier characters.

My hope is that after BvS is out is that it has been a hit and introduced all of these characters successfully to the masses that maybe then Mattel can bring back the line like Hasbro has done with Marvel Legends (admittedly, the results for that have been pretty mixed). Direct to customer just isn't going to work, that's been proven whether it's character choices, lack of "must have" characters, price or shipping costs (or just having to deal with Digital River, I think it's a bit of all of that actually). Getting figures into just one major retailer would still probably double or triple the Matty runs. Though it would still be tricky trying to balance out A-list variants (which you would *have* to have for retail) with new characters because there are so few "gotta haves" left. It's not like Marvel where everyone is always playing in the same sandbox, the DC characters come together for events but most characters have their own little corner and collectors don't necessarily cross all (or even enough) of those groups.

Hmmm?... Maybe this is something to bring up to the toy guy at Walgreens?...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:07 am 
Loose, Missing Package

texgnome1 wrote:
LOL have you never played any of the Legend of Zelda games? Most of them have a fairy that runs around at certain points and annoyingly stops you with "Hey Listen!" So the title of the thread made me think of that. :D

Nope. I really stopped gaming with the Colecovision. I had an NES but I used it mostly for puzzle games.

...and I think any excuse is allowable for that photo... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:31 am 
MINT!

Honestly, I don't want DCUC back. It was a great line while it lasted, but its over, I'm ready to move on.

Now I would like to see a new DC line in 6" scale. Like DCUC, but maybe without so much emphasis on the "Adult Collector" angle, and super-star sculptors. A more sustainable scope would be cool to. I love the DC Universe, but I don't want EVERYONE in the DC Universe.

If we could just get a couple more waves a year, Total Heroes would fit the bill perfectly..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:05 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Thresher wrote:
I love the DC Universe, but I don't want EVERYONE in the DC Universe.

I do, just not in an inappropriate scale. That volume of figures/characters requires the proper 4" scale, but it also requires proper planning and coordination. Right now Arrow, Flash and Gotham are hot, in that order, so support them with product. We don't need green Lanterns because they should all have been done when the movie and animated series were out. Same for Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, etc. Their time will come. Do THIS NOW while it will sell!

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:31 pm 
AFA Graded

Like JLU, it ran its course and it's done.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:28 am 
ABS

If Mattel would just concentrate on Total Heroes and make sure all retailers supply them (haven't had the Target near me have them yet), then I'll happy with just that. DCUC is done & I really don't need any repeats of the same figures.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:11 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Jim_Abell wrote:
texgnome1 wrote:

Nope. I really stopped gaming with the Colecovision. I had an NES but I used it mostly for puzzle games.

...and I think any excuse is allowable for that photo... :wink:

I am floored by this statement!! I'm not much for gaming either but you've never played "Ocrina of Time"? Ever!? I'm sorry, I just don't buy it. What are you hiding man?