Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Favorite thing about JLU?
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:09 pm 
my tummy itches

Now, since we are nearing the end of JLU we should start thinking about what we liked best about it.
Whether it be character selection, scale, or even closure what you liked best. Please be as descriptive as possible because we all like hearing more about our favorite line!

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

Post subject: Re: Favorite thing about JLU?
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:32 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well I guess I'd say character selection was the best thing.

I remember being happy once they said that they'd be releasing figures like:

The Joker and Mr Miracle
Tala and Cheetah
Captain Marvel and Captain Atom
Firestorm, Blue Beetle, and Guy Gardner

Yeah I remember those were some of the ones that were high on my wishlists once upon a time.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:49 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Three things stick out at me:

The first thing is the huge amount of different characters we got. I have never collected a line based on a cartoon I loved with so many different figures. Most of the lines based on toons or shows I enjoy last a wave or two at best while JLU just kept going.

The sculpts and the design of the toys. I really love the simple designs of the figures, the poses, the colors, and the costumes.

It's based on my favorite cartoon of all time. It's fun to be able to think that I actually have representations of characters I've loved for over twenty years.

Those are the big things in my mind.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:52 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

I like the classic simple look. It reminds me of the comics of the olden days. Also I like that the sculpts were easy to have customized. While I like the character selection, I've had almost 150 figures customized. This is my ultimate DCU collection.

My favorite figures:
Jay Garrick
STAS Aquaman
Hawkgirl
Dr. Midnite
Wildcat
Giganta

But overall, I like that they almost always went with a classic look for the character. They didn't mess around:)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:33 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Three things stick out in my mind.

1. The character selection has been amazing.
2. The pack that got me hooked was the Apache Chief, Samurai, Black Vulcan pack. This pack brought back fond memories of my favorite cartoon growing up.
3. The excitement I had right before Toy Fair and Comic Con each year. I couldn't wait to see what new figures were on the horizon.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:01 am 
active in the community

The Character choice, if you are a fan of DC comics they almost catered for every one!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:04 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Here are my favorite things about the line:

1. I love the fact that they are a continuation of the DCAU that I first got into with the original BTAS line.
2. They may only be 5POA for the most part, but that works for the design of the characters, nice clean lines without loads of joints breaking up the sculpt.
3. Character selection, they have covered pretty much all the big guns of the DCU and given us some that we never thought we'd get.
4. They look great on display, the uniformity of the sculpts, the classic looks for the characters, they are like little statues when all lined up in a display and it looks great.
5. The original price, being able to buy 3pks was a great way of filling up the ranks relatively cheaply.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:28 am 
my tummy itches

I totally Agree with your number one. Batman the animated series will always be my number one!

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:57 pm 
active in the community

The reasons I have have pretty much been discussed already but here goes...

The animated look with many figures hitting home runs in terms of reproduction in plastic form.
The actual ''chase'' in getting these new figures as they were being released.It was exhillarating in some instances.Aquaman wave for example.

The comraderie that has developed with us collectors towards this line is pretty awesome.
I can honestly say I have no regrets in starting to collect this line, and seeing it to its end.Unfortunately to me nothing will compare to JLU and I will never collect a line so fully as I did with JLU.
Lastly thank you Mattel and Toy guru for a great run.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

The hunt would have killed it for me if I hadn't been way too invested. That was part of what killed the line. I don't mind a little hunt, you know, where it's possible to find them if not at the first Target, but maybe the second, and definitely the third. But it was over the top.
The animated style is a very streamlined classic style that took any classic outfit and made it work.
I loved when they branched out from the cartoon and gave us the Superfriends and the JSA and Doom Patrol.
I only wish they could have released more figures per wave. Even simple repaints, like Jade out of JL Wonder Woman. Wouldn't have been perfect, but close enough. There is so much they could have done with the line. Repaints of Superman like Kingdom Come or Earth 2.
Super Powers to me is almost unbeatable for quality, but JLU has the character selection, hands down.

I need to start on the Mego Pocket Heroes. That's gonna be my new love I think.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:52 pm 
Cold-cast

Two words.... Character Selection

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:36 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Their impressive shelf dives.

They're like the Olympic team of shelf diving. Lots of toys fall, but no toy lines fall like JLU.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:29 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
1. I love the fact that they are a continuation of the DCAU that I first got into with the original BTAS line.
2. They may only be 5POA for the most part, but that works for the design of the characters, nice clean lines without loads of joints breaking up the sculpt.

I'm totally with you on point 1, and not at all on point 2 :D I much preferred the characters with additional articulation, like Doomsday, Humanite, Darkseid, Flash. Wish they'd kept that up, as their first attempts could have been improved upon (those loose GLs really scared y'all off, didn't they?)

I mostly just liked being able to add to the all-too-short S:TAS line and JL lines. Finally having a Livewire (even if she has heels, grrrr) is pretty great. And Amanda Waller is just about the coolest of the cool. When they tried hard to get a character right, they knocked them out of the park.

I remain impressed with how the facial sculpts on all the characters (girls especially) got so good in the last few waves. Fire and Ice put Canary and Diana to shame! Nice to see improvements.

And when they came out with the Starcrossed 6 pack, that just about made me leap with joy. That's the kind of pack that would have been in stores back in the 90s, so it was just nice to see them deliver like that - a pack that ties into the big season finale. And they made sure the characters looked right! That was a big plus.

There was a lot that made it a hard line to collect, but in the end, I'm happy to see so many cool characters on the shelf...or in the drawer, to make sure they don't all end up with weak legs. Speaking of which:

Quote:

They're like the Olympic team of shelf diving. Lots of toys fall, but no toy lines fall like JLU.

BWA-HAHAHA! (I laugh, but it's still sad)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:09 am 
my tummy itches

Infinite Hollywood wrote:

Oh my gosh I know!
I have the same issues. I display mine on baord games though..,

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:47 am 
my tummy itches

elvis8batman wrote:

This! The figures and the show take me back to watching that first season of BTAS and the rest of the DCAU, which came afterward.

Talk about a hook. To my mind there can be no better "evergreen" than the DCAU.