Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The LOST JLU prototypes
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:49 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

The extra articulation was removed because fans requested it after seeing the prototypes.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:06 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

The only figures that I didn't mind the added articulation on were Doomsday, Grodd, and Destroyer Darkseid. I think the original Darkseid, Superman, and Martian Manhunter were among the worst. And I really don't care for the Starman in the picture either. I didn't think the added articulation was a bad idea at first but I soon soured on it. The more I looked at it the less I liked it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:50 pm 
my tummy itches

These really do not bother me. I cannot tell you jape many over articulated figures I got that were broken in the package.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:29 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
From our very own Toyotter...
http://www.toyotter.com/images/jla_mattel.jpg

These prototypes are what I want... the paint colors and all, (I want Superman's cape the way it is too.) I like the ones we got, but these "prototypes" were very well done and I want them, lol. ;)

EDIT: I apologize for not getting permision to use this image, I hope that it's still okay for me to use it... Sir. Toyotter, :)

D.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:00 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I think added articualtion could have worked if it had been done by people who knew how to do it *Cough... ToyBiz... *Cough... ;) I mean Mattel got close when I saw the prototypes for the 10 POA figures back in 2003. I thought they looked fantastic! But of course they still needed work (so that they could actually be played with... as the prototypes probably weren't very stable... hence "prototypes, lol.) But the final releases and the ones after that were just badly executed, (no offense to the person or people who actually designed the articulation, but perhaps that is not your area of expertise... :) ) Anyways these are the figures I thought looked great and I wanted them lol:

Here: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/generated/2003SDCC/Mattel/JL/JLgearedfigures__scaled_800.jpg

Here: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/generated/DC%20Comic%20Toys/JLA5and6/JLBatmanW5__scaled_640.jpg

Here: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/albums/DC%20Comic%20Toys/JLA5and6/JLFlashW6.jpg

Here: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/generated/DC%20Comic%20Toys/JLA5and6/JLSupermanW6__scaled_800.jpg

Credit: Toynewsi.com Also Mods... let me know if I am not allowed to post pics from TNI here, as I cannot remember if we are allowed to. If we are not, I am sorry and will take them down immedietly. :)

D.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:42 am 
Wonderdog

I do wish at least one version of Dr. Fate had gone out with the metallic gold. He really looks great.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:12 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Dusty wrote:
Credit: Toynewsi.com Also Mods... let me know if I am not allowed to post pics from TNI here, as I cannot remember if we are allowed to. If we are not, I am sorry and will take them down immedietly. :)

MOD- Posting links to the pics is fine, hotlinking the pics directly into our forums isn't (though it appears that they don't allow hotlinking so they aren't showing up anyway...)

I'm fixing the post.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:28 am 
Knows his stuff

Tom2814 wrote:
I do wish at least one version of Dr. Fate had gone out with the metallic gold. He really looks great.

This. When I first saw these pictures, I thought, "cool, they are going to redo Dr. Fate with gold instead of screaming yellow". Obviously that never came to pass. Minor quibble, but that gold Dr. Fate looks awesome.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:11 am 
shirtless hugger

Quote:
And for whomever pointed it out, I think DB, they did release a "color corrected" Green Arrow. He was one of the late Orange cards that didnt get a wide distribution.

Yes, I remember that one. But even his colors weren't 100% screen-accurate, like the 10POA prototype had. Compare 'em.

Quote:
The original seven were sculpted by Karen Palinko of DC Direct.

Hey, neat! Never knew that we knew the name of the sculptor. So, credit to Karen for her hard work...and also...since we're being honest that Superman was pretty bad, WW and HG had knock-knees and could barely stand for the rest of the line and MM needed a cape that draped his shoulders a little. Otherwise no major complains! Oh, except the scale. Why couldn't these have been 5 inchers? LOL...

Quote:
Additional articulation means an additional tool, which means an additional cost of production. There weren't a whole lot of people upset with this decision, either, as I recall.

No, there weren't. But I'll grumble about it anyway. *grumble grumble*

Quote:
The only figures that I didn't mind the added articulation on were Doomsday, Grodd, and Destroyer Darkseid. I think the original Darkseid, Superman, and Martian Manhunter were among the worst.

What's the diff for you between the two Darkseids?

Quote:
These prototypes are what I want... the paint colors and all, (I want Superman's cape the way it is too.

Well, I hope you get them someday, but really...I don't see any major differences between these and what we ultimately got. Superman looks exactly the same to me...cape and all...

And I think Bandai really got good at giving the Titans strong articulation. Even the plastic they used on that line was better than the mushy JL stuff. So yeah...Bandai.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:48 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

DisneyBoy wrote:

The shoulders. UGH. Take a look at Casimir's corrected Darkseid to really see the difference. Fair warning though, you'll look at yours in disgust from this point on. Casimir's updated version makes the original look terrible.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:56 am 
Collector Inspector

Truth be told, I still like the 80's SuperPowers Darkseid the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:04 am 
shirtless hugger

I always wanted to see the the original Grundy the was supposedly lost back when they had the idea of releasing 2-packs.

Also, I almost wish they released the 5POA Supergirl because it made her taller. I'm happy with the new version but I like the old costume better.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:12 am 
serves the Otter

tuning4k wrote:
Truth be told, I still like the 80's SuperPowers Darkseid the best.

Can't...

Help...

Myself!!!

http://comicrelated.com/graphics/darkseid.gif

Last edited by red Ricky on Wed May 23, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:42 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

texgnome1 wrote:
DisneyBoy wrote:

The shoulders. UGH.

That's it exactly. In all fairness, I guess it isn't necessarily the articulation that screwed him up. It's just an odd sculpt job as it is. Destroyer Darkseid was a figure I never would have asked for. I thought he was great once they showed him publicly for the 1st time. And just like comparing Casimir's version to the original, once I saw DD, I couldn't stand the first one anymore. The original didn't do the DCU's biggest bad @$$ justice.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:11 pm 
my tummy itches

Wow. Casmirs looks SO MUCH BETTER!

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next