Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU 7/16/12 the FIRST of the 6 LAST 3-packs.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:49 am 
Brand Manager

DisneyBoy wrote:
Thanks for the update An-Gel! I won't be getting him, simply because I don't care much for the character.

Why am I not surprised? Honestly, it's a pattern with you. Every time there's a JLU sale, you show up and come up with an excuse not to make a purchase. Sometimes you try to "verbally" dismantle the character (ala STRIPE & Mongul), sometimes the character has to look good with some old Kenner figure and sometimes it's some crazy stunt like looking under Gypsy's dress. Whatever. It's your prerogative to buy or not buy a figure. But it bothers me that you do it in public, because the underlying tone always is... "convince me to buy this figure. Convince me this figure is worthy of me." And since your mind is almost always made up, all you accomplish is the deterrence of others from buying. Which means you are selfish. And if the only thing you really want is for Hippolyta to get made, then by all means, just commission somebody to make you that figure and leave the line alone.

DisneyBoy wrote:
Quote:
Sounds to me like you put Wondie on a pedestal and your biggest issue lies with her being bested by a villain that you find is "beneath" her.

Aww, see I knew someone would think that :P I guess I just had issues with them doing something as major as a character putting their hands around her neck, in what amounts to a throw-away moment.

It's not a throw-away moment. When Wondy tries to flip him over, he lands on his feet with Diana still in grasp. It shows how strong he is. It foreshadows what's about to happen to Superman.

Which happens to be the same thing.

That is... He puts his hands around Superman's neck.

Again... He does the same thing to Superman.

Which means that both scenes are intrinsical.

They establish Mongul's dominance.

They establish Mongul's power over two of DC's "TOP" icons.

And it leads to Superman using his powers out of pure rage, frustration and anger for the first time ever.

"Happy birthday, Kryptonian. I give you... oblivion".
"BURN!!!"

So basically, in what you call a throw-away scene…

I see symbolism… a theme… a mood… and a recurring motif.

Because it all paints more than one Narrative.

DisneyBoy wrote:
So...when does the three pack with Hippolyta come out again?
:lol:

In case there is any doubt, my posts are geared towards those that would find themselves dissuaded by your words. You, as the Hippolyta tag keeps suggesting… seem to only care about one character or family of characters (regardless of what you say is, and isn't, on a pedestal.)

So to the rest I say…

At the end of the day, Mongul is a badass character that:

Cannot be lobotomized like Doomsday.

Cannot be beaten by Superman, One on One, like Darkseid.

Has his own Death Star!!!

Can Talk Smack!!!

Beat Superman through cunning.

Taunted Batman.

Taunted Wonder Woman.

Beat Wonder Woman through sheer strength.

Taunted Superman.

Beat the hell out of Superman.

Beat the hell out of Green Lantern.

Destroyed Coast City!!!

Drove Hal Jordan insane!

Had a son who collected a bunch yellow rings and ended up ripping Arkillo’s tongue off.

Yes, he was wussied up by Mark Waid in the nineties, but at the end of the day… when everything is said and done… he was the Villain showcased by Alan Moore in what is arguably one of the best Superman stories ever. And as a result, he will make a great addition to your JLU, Superman and Green Lantern displays.

He is also the one character that brings out the Amazon in Wonder Woman, so he fits in there, too.

Hippolyta on the other hand… I just wouldn't buy an action figure of her. As far as I’m concerned, she would be a waste of plastic, not worthy of carrying Aunt Harriet’s undergarments. :twisted:

Last edited by red Ricky on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:08 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Just to give a heads up, the Mongul three pack is actually selling well, "but not good enough to justify more new tooling" -ToyGuru

So those wondering if the "Almost Gone" label is just a warning before being removed for the SDCC sale, it's not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:20 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Velocity wrote:
Just to give a heads up, the Mongul three pack is actually selling well, "but not good enough to justify more new tooling" -ToyGuru

So those wondering if the "Almost Gone" label is just a warning before being removed for the SDCC sale, it's not.

Totally fine with no new tooling. In fact, I'd prefer it if JLU was over and done with. I got most of the characters I wanted. It's just been such a hassle for the past few years. I'm done.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:23 pm 
Collector Inspector

What new tooling is left? Is that a reference to the boot cuffs that should have been, er, that we requested be added to Dr Destiny?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:27 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

tuning4k wrote:
What new tooling is left? Is that a reference to the boot cuffs that should have been, er, that we requested be added to Dr Destiny?

I think he was referring to the hopes that these would sell enough to warrant new figure tooling. Just wishful thinking IMO.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Hmm...so they make highly demanded characters and they sold well? Who woulda thunk it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:57 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Bought mongul yesterday. Actually glad its coming to end, I don't have any more room for these things! They barely fit in my display case as is!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:47 pm 
Knows his stuff

Velocity wrote:

Now If I can take the words quoted above & run with it......

"NOT good enough to justify MORE NEW tooling" .....

So good thing #1. VOLCANA v2.0 does NOT need MORE NEW tooling! & b4 everyone tells me about all te artwork, developement, safety testing, ect..... I already know that I'm just entertaining my Fanboy's delusional WISH of a cool VILLAINS or SECRET SOCIETY 6-7 pack for characters that would not need MORE NEW tooling, just NEW paintjobs/schemes!

So again, I KNOW this has no chance of ever happening unfortunately, but I would LOVE a VILLAINS 7-pk w/ all the pictures of the villains on the box like the last JLU Final Card Holder's 7-pk.

So heres my PRETEND 7-pk. w/ only new paint & mashups of parts:

1. VOLCANA v2.0
2. TATTOO MAN
3. LUMINOUS
4. MAJOR DIASTER
5. JAVELIN
6. The TOP
7. BLUE LAMA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:00 pm 
Aspires to be #1

JLU-4-me wrote:
Velocity wrote:

Now If I can take the words quoted above & run with it......

"NOT good enough to justify MORE NEW tooling" .....

So good thing #1. VOLCANA v2.0 does NOT need MORE NEW tooling! & b4 everyone tells me about all te artwork, developement, safety testing, ect..... I already know that I'm just entertaining my Fanboy's delusional WISH of a cool VILLAINS or SECRET SOCIETY 6-7 pack for characters that would not need MORE NEW tooling, just NEW paintjobs/schemes!

So again, I KNOW this has no chance of ever happening unfortunately, but I would LOVE a VILLAINS 7-pk w/ all the pictures of the villains on the box like the last JLU Final Card Holder's 7-pk.

1. VOLCANA v2.0
2. TATTOO MAN
3. LUMINOUS
4. MAJOR DIASTER
5. JAVELIN
6. The TOP
7. BLUE LAMA

Love the enthusiasm, but I'd at least like new head sculpts on new characters.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:03 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

JLU-4-me wrote:
I already know that I'm just entertaining my Fanboy's delusional WISH of a cool VILLAINS or SECRET SOCIETY 6-7 pack for characters that would not need MORE NEW tooling, just NEW paintjobs/schemes!

1. VOLCANA v2.0
2. TATTOO MAN
3. LUMINOUS
4. MAJOR DIASTER
5. JAVELIN
6. The TOP
7. BLUE LAMA

So which existing characters/figures are donating the parts (particularly the heads) for figures 2-7 on your list?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:17 pm 
Knows his stuff

Now THAT would "beef Up" my SECRET Society & I stated this same thing over a year ago. I just this morning bought the MONGUL 3-pk. because i seriously thought i could wait until the next sale came along or even the next JLU Beyond 3-pk.

I was against these being put out 1 at a time because I was afraid IF the 1st few didn't sell enough we would not get the renaing packs & I wanted to order a few cases of the last six 3-pks. so I could save on S/H. A LOT of $$$ on S/H.
So if the tatic is to put "Almost Gone" to get people to buy the pack before they take it down from the site..... it worked! BUt I REALLY hope it's because they truely are selling well & are indeed almost gone,

So as my above post states, I would buy up a last 7 pack of villians, a companion piece to the JLU 7-pk.. I know it will not happen & I know JLU is dead, believe me I know... some people love to STATE it over & over! So my above "fictional" JLU: VILLAINS 7-pk. is only a wish & I don't need to be told why it will not happen.

But just to put the recipes of them:

FINAL 4-real Villains 7-pk.

1.VOLCANA v2. -(translucent hair, eyebrows, maroon show accurate suit w/ red gloves/boots)
2.TATTOO MAN -(Captain Atom repaint, Red T's Cape, clear BLUE Snake & Sword accessories)
3. MAJOR DIASTER -(repaint of HOURMAN w/ white hooded cape)
4. The TOP -(Captain Atom repaint)
5. JAVELIN -(stas Aquaman repaint)
6. LUMINOUS -(Dove or some1 on the smaller body)
7. BLUE LAMA -(solid blue Killer Frost body, casted Bald GALATEA head lt. blue)
Or, Sportsmaster (Green Guardsman head?), Dr. IMPOSSIBLE (repainted Mr. Miracle), Dr. Spectro (Weather Wizard head w/ dark hair Red glasses on med buck) ect.

DISCLAIMER: I'm done wish-listing..... but if this thread can go into the personal feelings of "For The Man Who Has Everything", then why not take Toy Guru's quote & run w/ a "REAL Last of the Last JLU multi-pack)!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:42 pm 
Knows his stuff

j1h15233 wrote:

Love the enthusiasm, but I'd at least like new head sculpts on new characters.

I TOTALLY AGREE with you on this as a COLLECTOR! But since my nephews & I play with my various LOOSE collections, w/ JLU being by far #1 to my 7 yr. old nephew, having more SECRET SOCIETY or ANY other JL/JLU Villains would be awesome! For playing with JLU figures; customs do not work for us. So as for playing with these awesome figures, having more characters' figures that look cool (although they are repaints & not original molds) DEFINITELY beats not getting them at all! The kids don't really care that much about if they're repainted heads, now collectors on the other hand would vary depending how good Matty could make them look.

The lack of articulation on JLU figures has never been an issue for any of the dozens of kids who have played with my, or my nephews', collections! They are sturdy and can withstand younger kids playing with them too.

*So like above when j1h was mocking shock of popular MONGUL selling well, I believe popular ANIMATED 4" characters would sell if excuted right. Fall thru Christmas season multi-packs (6 pks.) with notable DCAU figures w/ DVD pack-ins would be GREAT for holiday gifts for kids & collectors. That way a TNBA DCAU pack could give us: Robin, Catwoman, POISIN IVY, RIDDLER, TWO -FACE w/ gun hand & corrected colors, Killer Croc, Bruce Wayne, Mr. Freeze, ect. would look great in posed multipacks (w/ Batman of course) w/ DVDs for the holidays! That could be a test for other DCAU multi-packs. OK- rant over!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:50 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Velocity wrote:

I still do, and always will believe that for Mattel to place value on how fast any Matty product sells is absolutely bogus. Sure, if a JLU pack finally sells through months later, that's not as good as selling out days later. But to nitpick the speed of sales mere days after it went on sale while at the same time acknowledging that it is selling well is like wanting Quarterback Matty to throw himself a touchdown pass.

Still, I find it telling that TG even mentioned new tooling possibilities. Was he answering someone's question on the Matty boards, or did he offer that tidbit out of nowhere? Could it mean that new JLU tooling has been considered internally at Mattel?

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:00 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Howard the Duck wrote:
Still, I find it telling that TG even mentioned new tooling possibilities. Was he answering someone's question on the Matty boards, or did he offer that tidbit out of nowhere? Could it mean that new JLU tooling has been considered internally at Mattel?

That quote from TG was from an answer to a question asked in the Matty forums in regards to Mongul selling well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:58 pm 
categorically opposed

Howard the Duck wrote:

How is that telling?

Clearly, the motivation for the question was the hope that if Mongul sold well enough, Mattel wouldn't abandon JLU. It's not like the poster asked it just because; there was obviously a reason it was asked.

Considering that the production quantity of the JLU packs has been dropped to a number very close to the baseline that they keep referring to, I'm not too surprised that Mongul appears to be selling well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next