Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU 7/16/12 the FIRST of the 6 LAST 3-packs.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
DisneyBoy wrote:
When GL's ring was chopped off his hand, it was at a hugely climactic moment in the JL series. That worked because he had serious personal issues with his foe. Diana getting choked by Mongul...a Superman villain with only one (rather lame) previous appearance to his name?? It didn't feel earned.

That's because Mongul has always been a Darkseid wannabe, but he is not as powerful so he is always going to fall short. But IMO the only problem with that episode was having Draaga finish the fight. I think they should have had it where Mongul fights Draaga for a minute. After which Mongul is about to beat him, when Supes gets between them, stops Monguls fist midair, then says "enough!" and smacks him down... ending the fight and episode on a cooler note. done and done! ;) (sorry got carried away.) lol

DisneyBoy wrote:
Thank you, sir 8) Nice to have my ramblings understood.

So...when does the three pack with Hippolyta come out again?

:lol:

Oh and that Hippolyta pack will be released in January with Hades and Felix Faust (with removable old man head and hands from the episode "Paradise Lost.") ;)

D.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:00 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
red Ricky wrote:
Why am I not surprised? Honestly, it's a pattern with you. Every time there's a JLU sale, you show up and come up with an excuse not to make a purchase. Sometimes you try to "verbally" dismantle the character (ala STRIPE & Mongul), sometimes the character has to look good with some old Kenner figure and sometimes it's some crazy stunt like looking under Gypsy's dress. Whatever. It's your prerogative to buy or not buy a figure. But it bothers me that you do it in public, because the underlying tone always is... "convince me to buy this figure. Convince me this figure is worthy of me." And since your mind is almost always made up, all you accomplish is the deterrence of others from buying. Which means you are selfish. And if the only thing you really want is for Hippolyta to get made, then by all means, just commission somebody to make you that figure and leave the line alone.

It's not a throw-away moment. When Wondy tries to flip him over, he lands on his feet with Diana still in grasp. It shows how strong he is. It foreshadows what's about to happen to Superman.

Which happens to be the same thing.

That is... He puts his hands around Superman's neck.

Again... He does the same thing to Superman.

Which means that both scenes are intrinsical.

They establish Mongul's dominance.

They establish Mongul's power over two of DC's "TOP" icons.

And it leads to Superman using his powers out of pure rage, frustration and anger for the first time ever.

"Happy birthday, Kryptonian. I give you... oblivion".
"BURN!!!"

So basically, in what you call a throw-away scene…

I see symbolism… a theme… a mood… and a recurring motif.

Because it all paints more than one Narrative.

DisneyBoy wrote:
So...when does the three pack with Hippolyta come out again?
:lol:

In case there is any doubt, my posts are geared towards those that would find themselves dissuaded by your words. You, as the Hippolyta tag keeps suggesting… seem to only care about one character or family of characters (regardless of what you say is, and isn't, on a pedestal.)

So to the rest I say…

At the end of the day, Mongul is a badass character that:

Cannot be lobotomized like Doomsday.

Cannot be beaten by Superman, One on One, like Darkseid.

Has his own Death Star!!!

Can Talk Smack!!!

Beat Superman through cunning.

Taunted Batman.

Taunted Wonder Woman.

Beat Wonder Woman through sheer strength.

Taunted Superman.

Beat the hell out of Superman.

Beat the hell out of Green Lantern.

Destroyed Coast City!!!

Drove Hal Jordan insane!

Had a son who collected a bunch yellow rings and ended up ripping Arkillo’s tongue off.

Yes, he was wussied up by Mark Waid in the nineties, but at the end of the day… when everything is said and done… he was the Villain showcased by Alan Moore in what is arguably one of the best Superman stories ever. And as a result, he will make a great addition to your JLU, Superman and Green Lantern displays.

He is also the one character that brings out the Amazon in Wonder Woman, so he fits in there, too.

Hippolyta on the other hand… I just wouldn't buy an action figure of her. As far as I’m concerned, she would be a waste of plastic, not worthy of carrying Aunt Harriet’s undergarments. :twisted:

Red Ricky... come on, let's all be nice, DB has an opinion about stuff (be it negative or not, we all have our quips with stuff) you don't like DB's posts... fine that's cool, but I think it is one of those times where you probably should just let someone say what they want, as long as no offensive words and such are being said, :) ... unlike what guapo's are. :|

Oh... and how dare you say Mongul could beat Superman, for shame, for shame, ;) Mongul get's owned by Superman everytime no matter what is done in the comics... j/k, lol (really though... I haven't read every comic Mongul has appeared in, but the ones I have read happen to be the ones that he gets owned by Supes.) just sayin... ;)

D.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
Why am I not surprised? Honestly, it's a pattern with you. Every time there's a JLU sale, you show up and come up with an excuse not to make a purchase. Sometimes you try to "verbally" dismantle the character (ala STRIPE & Mongul), sometimes the character has to look good with some old Kenner figure and sometimes it's some crazy stunt like looking under Gypsy's dress. Whatever. It's your prerogative to buy or not buy a figure. But it bothers me that you do it in public, because the underlying tone always is... "convince me to buy this figure. Convince me this figure is worthy of me." And since your mind is almost always made up, all you accomplish is the deterrence of others from buying. Which means you are selfish. And if the only thing you really want is for Hippolyta to get made, then by all means, just commission somebody to make you that figure and leave the line alone.

....hun? Well, I'm sorry I upset you RR, but I think this is a little overboard. I'm not the only JLU fan here who won't be getting Mongul, and I'm certainly not doing it out of spite for the character (much less the line). In fact, the awesome sculpt had me on the fence for a while, it really did. I've never asked anyone to "convince" me to buy something - I'd had to be a pretty big weirdo to take the time to ask strangers who don't work for a toy company to sell me on a figure, dontcha think? I think you're hearing some tone of voice in my posts that really isn't there, or think of me in some really negative way. But let's not fight, k? PM me if you'd like.

As for my FTMWHE comments, I realize every single one of them is debatable. I was just sharing a bunch of thoughts, and probably should have saved them for a talkback thread elsewhere. It's a good episode for a lot of reasons, and I think we can both agree on that :D

Quote:
Oh and that Hippolyta pack will be released in January with Hades and Felix Faust (with removable old man head and hands from the episode "Paradise Lost.")

OOOOOOHHHH!!! That would be so rad! But, naturally, I'd need someone to customize my JL Hades into a DC Ares 8) Because I'm easy to please :roll:

So happy to hear Mongul's selling well! He's a neat figure. I love that mere moments after some positivity from Toy Guru, we're already making wish lists again :roll: :lol: I love this community.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:31 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I am so happy to finally have JLU Mongul in-hand...can't believe it took this long to get him, and glad that I finally did.

JLU Batman (Super Powers colors w/Batarang)
JLU Batman (Black costume w/Batarang)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:33 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Quote:
Oh and that Hippolyta pack will be released in January with Hades and Felix Faust (with removable old man head and hands from the episode "Paradise Lost.")

I'd buy that

JLU Batman (Super Powers colors w/Batarang)
JLU Batman (Black costume w/Batarang)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:19 am 
serves the Otter

The comments I am about to say are not complaints by any means, they are merely observations...

Okay so I recieved the Mongul figure and opened it up (YES!!! Finally after waiting more than 10 years I have an awesome JLTAS Mongul figure in my collection. :D ) *Ahem... anyways, I realize some people were I suppose (concerned) about the prototype's skin color being to Pinkish... again while I love this figure, I have to say his skin color I think would have worked either way, (the prototype was actually just about spot on) look...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8008/7621435468_e1121f7658_b.jpg
again just an observation (I realize the top left pic is from the first season of JL, I just thought I would put it in there for reference.) Anyways this post is no big deal, but I wondered if anyone had noticed the Pinker skin was actually just as close to the source design as what we actually got. Again not complaining... also did anyone else notice that the Batman figure is using different legs and arms (they are not the same as many of the Batman figures before... oooooo!) Yes I have far too much spare time on my hands, lol ;)

D.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:38 am 
3 3/4"

Anybody on here own this bad boy??? I have Hourman but never could find this guy....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VHTF-SUPER-RARE ... 4605dca990

Meks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:44 am 
serves the Otter

I saw him a few times back in the day, but I didn't care for the JLords so I passed.

D.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:37 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

When my Mongul comes I'm not going to open him and I'm going to put him aside. I plan to do the same for all six JLU packs. Then on Christmas I'm going to open them all at once as a last JLU bonanza. Anyone else gonna do this?

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:58 am 
5" Scale

I think he's the last one I'm missing darth. I've actually considered asking someone here on the forum(I can't remember who?) to make me a custom of him for me. Hey Dusty, what's your thoughts on Mongul? Is he worth the cost or should I just wait and try and get him down the road? I ask someone else recently and agree this is my decision its worth, but I'm trying to see if others are having a hard time(like me) in justifying the cost :? The remaining 3 packs are no brainers and I'm up for them. This one is a bit harder though, especially when you factor in we used to pay a lot less for the 3 packs. Yes, retailers backed out and production is down compared to it, but I kind of feel like Matty is taking advantage of the fans nostalgia over this and their other lines. It would have been a easier pill to swallow if the cost was less and the customer service was better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:18 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Well, my advice is buy what you can afford, and what you absolutely 100% want. That way, if at a later date, at a garage sale or years down the road, you come across a figure you kinda wanted, but didn't have the money for or the huge desire to own, you can pick them up for a couple of bucks and it will be a pleasant little surprise :D That's what happened to me with Zatanna. I didn't have one, even though I love the character, because the figure didn't really impress me (no coattails? Sigh.) But then a few months ago, I found her and picked her up for a few bucks. Felt very nice!

Quote:
When my Mongul comes I'm not going to open him and I'm going to put him aside. I plan to do the same for all six JLU packs. Then on Christmas I'm going to open them all at once as a last JLU bonanza. Anyone else gonna do this?

:shock: :lol: Fone you are just the cutest, LOL. Yup - I've done this for myself before too. Very nice to know something awesome is going to be there, if you're patient...

Quote:
I wondered if anyone had noticed the Pinker skin was actually just as close to the source design as what we actually got. Again not complaining...

I noticed he seemed to be a more goldish yellow originally. So both look fine to me...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:48 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

DisneyBoy wrote:
:shock: :lol: Fone you are just the cutest, LOL.

I get that A LOT.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:05 pm 
serves the Otter

The_Donster wrote:
I think he's the last one I'm missing darth. I've actually considered asking someone here on the forum(I can't remember who?) to make me a custom of him for me. Hey Dusty, what's your thoughts on Mongul? Is he worth the cost or should I just wait and try and get him down the road? I ask someone else recently and agree this is my decision its worth, but I'm trying to see if others are having a hard time(like me) in justifying the cost :? The remaining 3 packs are no brainers and I'm up for them. This one is a bit harder though, especially when you factor in we used to pay a lot less for the 3 packs. Yes, retailers backed out and production is down compared to it, but I kind of feel like Matty is taking advantage of the fans nostalgia over this and their other lines. It would have been a easier pill to swallow if the cost was less and the customer service was better.

For sure Mattel is taking advantage... as for your main question though... I am sort of biased when it comes to Mongul, as I have wanted him for so long. But it is lame that he is the only new figure and costs 40 bucks, that is very hard to swallow. But since these are the last packs, and if you absolutely love JLU... and you have some spare cash, I'd buy him it. but if you are not really feeling that you want him all that much, I say don't buy him. I don't think he alone is worth 40 bucks (but since I am crazy and I also like the character so much I bought him.) I only plan on buying 2 other packs then I'm done for good.
Buy him if you want to have a complete JLU collection or really like the character.
Don't buy him if you don't care for him all that much, or you are not a completist.

Sorry if my answer was not helpful.

D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 am 
Knows his stuff

darthmeks wrote:
Anybody on here own this bad boy??? I have Hourman but never could find this guy....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VHTF-SUPER-RARE ... 4605dca990

Meks

I could never find him. I found the other three 10" Justice Lords on a few occasions, but never Batman. I was going to get him off of Ebay, but when I saw the prices, I said forget it. After all, they were never going to make a 10" Justice Lord Hawkgirl, Wonder Woman or Martian Manhunter, so what's the point?

I find it odd that Batman analogue characters were either hard to find (10" Justice Lord), not widely produced (Tracksuit Batman), or not made at all (Owlman, Justice Guild Catman).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:57 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I thought Catman was supposed to be Wildcat...?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next