Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matty 2013 Subscriptions Update 7/12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:32 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I'll say the same thing I said last year when we were going through this, just give my money back now so I don't have to agonize...

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

Last edited by alcinde4 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:04 am 
shirtless hugger

I will be really disappointed if the sub doesn't go through for next year. I really want Wally West Flash and Elongated Man, and I feel like I might be the only person alive excited about Monsieur Mallah and The Brain. I may not have been clamoring for a Phantom Stranger or Saint Walker figure, but I still think everything for next year looks great.

At the same time, though, I really appreciate that Mattel is finishing both the Doom Patrol and the Metal Men this year in case the sub does not go through. Would I rather have Wally or Ralph than Uncle Sam or Constantine? Sure, but I'll still enjoy the figures that I do get if the sub shouldn't go through.

Fingers are crossed that it goes through, but it won't be the end of the world for me if it doesn't. I'll just have to customize the guys I want :-)

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:19 am 
Loose, Missing Package

for anyone who hasn't seen it, Noisy wrote a great piece over at his place (it's MOTUC specific, but it does relate to DCUIE, the comments are good, thoughtful reads, too)...

http://www.itsalltrue.net/?p=19792

jediblood wrote:
Did Mattel raise the amount of subscribers necessary to move on? Or are people simply not renewing their subscriptions?

I think they're just hoping to match what they got last year, but really... who knows?...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:49 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Jim_Abell wrote:
jediblood wrote:
Did Mattel raise the amount of subscribers necessary to move on? Or are people simply not renewing their subscriptions?

I think they're just hoping to match what they got last year, but really... who knows?...

Honestly most businesses expect growth-- as there are rising costs to compensate for-- staying at the status quo is the almost the same as losing business to most companies-- if you arent growing (and everyone else is)- your market share is shrinking.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:27 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I brought a DCUIE sub last year and signed up again this year. I can't afford to buy two just to try and sell off the extras.

I've never been all in with MOTUC, I've only ever wanted certain figures, and Jim Abell helps me get those. I'm not sure if he just orders an extra of the figure I want or if he has more than one sub on the go, but as the line has gone on, there are fewer characters I'm waiting on. After Ram Man I can't think of many more I "need", although there are probably others I'd like.

I just hope they get the orders they need.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:33 am 
Displays Backwards

Joe G. wrote:
I feel like I might be the only person alive excited about Monsieur Mallah and The Brain.

You're not alone! I would love to get those figures. Now that the Doom Patrol is going to be complete, they need some villains to fight. Bring on the Brotherhood of Evil!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:50 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

I would love that too Greg. I'd also like to see them wrap up The Freedom Fighters in next years sub. Sorry, but I don't like starting something you can't finish. Oh well, I tried to stay positive. I definitely feel Noisy has a point Jim. We should remain positive in our hobby. Unfortunately Matty is the one causing the ulcers and hemorrhoid by expecting fans to follow blindly in their sophomore year of DCU, junior year of MOTUC and freshmen year of Watchmen. Don't get me wrong, I'm re-upping on payday with the DCU. I've seen more I like than dislike in what I've seen so far. I just hope that Matty and DR don't make me regret it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:23 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

MOTUC costs $500 BEFORE shipping. Add in at least $8 a month and you're talking just under a $600 commitment. That's a LOT of dough for a line I'm mostly getting because of the stellar work of the 4H and an enjoyment of the 200x cartoon (I never owned a figure from the original line).

Plus the exclusive is a bit of a yawner for me (if Shadow Weaver was this year's that would have been an incentive).

I've ended up with a lot of the figures from the line (probably about 70% of them), although quite a few were obtained through discount sales (like the Palace Guards and Man-At-Arms). But I've avoided some of the big ticket items (Shadowbeasts, the good giant, the evil giant, at least until he was discounted) and most of the varients. And I know I don't want that giant Dragon from next year.

If there was a "main 12" only sub, I'd probably do it, however, since I seem to average 9 of those a year. It's too bad they don't have a tiered sub option.

Now DCUC I'm all in for, especially since I get to split my shipping costs with my buddy. It'll suck if it goes down in flames, but you know some of those figures will make it to retail sooner or later.

But, hey, I've endured lines ending before (I still miss classic Beastwars before they went metallic on me and I'm still miffed at my lonely Tigra and Lion-O wondering where the rest of the team is).

At least Legos not dropping the ball!

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:45 pm 
Cold-cast

stewbacca wrote:
Honestly most businesses expect growth-- as there are rising costs to compensate for-- staying at the status quo is the almost the same as losing business to most companies-- if you arent growing (and everyone else is)- your market share is shrinking.

Yeah you're totally right. Except most businesses allow for growth while Matty doesn't. Mostly only the people that already know of their existence are their potential customer pool. Of those, they must factor in losing some for a myriad of reasons. The why isn't as important as "it's going to happen so plan for it". And yet, they don't and expect no drop in demand sales at all. And apparently refuse to advertise or make any sort of effort to address the reason that people are not resubbing over. Heck how long have some of the MOTUC people been asking for a sub thermometer? A simple jpeg image and yet all they get is "We're working on it". It's astonishing to me.

Add in to that the tiny window for subs, and it's a recipe for disaster. It's a testament to the brand that it's doing as well as it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:02 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Mattel seems to be going the way of Diamond Select Toys now... teasing us with lots of cool figures at the conventions which ultimately never get released due to low turn out for pre-orders/subscriptions. That's why we never got those last few Buffy/Angel figures from DST, or Battlestar Galactica, or the Trek figures. It's very frustrating, because I want 90% of the figures that have been showcased in next year's DC sub so far, and I really want that Watchmen sub too.

As of today, we're only at 30% on their thermometer for the DC sub. One small bright side is that it hasn't been updated since Monday, but that was just a 2% jump up from where it was previously, so I don't expect it to increase much with their next update. There's only ELEVEN days left to sign up, and it doesn't look like we're even going to come close to 50% of their goal. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:59 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Why they can't get their web designers to have an actual counter that goes up in real time as each sub is brought is beyond me. I know they refuse to let us know their production numbers, but I don't need to know how many grains of sand are in an hour glass to physically see it filling up. So it's not like an actual counter would give away their precious secret production numbers.
But it would let us see more accurately how the sales are going.

Also, despite all the issues with matty and digital river, it appears most people in the sub already will be picking it up again, and with the likes of Wally West flash being offered next year, more people are saying they will jump on board having seen what previous sub buyers have got and what is due to come.

So if the meter doesn't reach it's mark, then maybe the amount they want or need to go ahead is now greater than what they had last year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:20 pm 
Resin

elvis8batman wrote:
Why they can't get their web designers to have an actual counter that goes up in real time as each sub is brought is beyond me. I know they refuse to let us know their production numbers, but I don't need to know how many grains of sand are in an hour glass to physically see it filling up. So it's not like an actual counter would give away their precious secret production numbers.
But it would let us see more accurately how the sales are going.

Also, despite all the issues with matty and digital river, it appears most people in the sub already will be picking it up again, and with the likes of Wally West flash being offered next year, more people are saying they will jump on board having seen what previous sub buyers have got and what is due to come.

So if the meter doesn't reach it's mark, then maybe the amount they want or need to go ahead is now greater than what they had last year.

Exactly. It doesn't make sense to me. If the required number of subs is the same as last year, (which it very well may not be) how is it possible that 75%-80% of 2012 subscribers are so far saying "no" this year. And that's not even including new subscribers like myself. How it the thermometer still so empty?!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:38 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

BertDert wrote:

Exactly. It doesn't make sense to me. If the required number of subs is the same as last year, (which it very well may not be) how is it possible that 75%-80% of 2012 subscribers are so far saying "no" this year. And that's not even including new subscribers like myself. How it the thermometer still so empty?!?!?

Well for one thing, they seem to only be updating it a couple of times a week. It was last updated Monday afternoon, and this is Thursday night! I'm willing to bet that at least a few people have signed up between then and now. It has had only FIVE updates total since the sub went up for sale almost TWO weeks ago.

Obviously the numbers aren't updated on a daily basis, but I'm also skeptical of how current they are even WHEN Mattel finally chooses to update the graphic. Like maybe each time they update it, they are reporting stats from 2-3 days earlier rather than where they are at that minute, in the hopes that delaying to report the current numbers will somehow encourage more people to jump on the bandwagon to "save the sub" by signing up too when they think the percentage is lower than it truly is. For all we know, the current graphic representing 30% is how many they had sold as of last week! :roll:

I agree that it seems very hard to believe it's only around 30% almost two weeks after the sub went up for sale if the 2013 target is allegedly the same as the numbers of subs sold last year. Now if that were true, I'd think it would be closer to 60-80% by now judging by the sample of people who've claimed to have signed up last year and have decided to opt out this year. And if the target ISN'T the same or close to the same as last year's minimum goal, then Mattel has once again set their expectations way too high and set this line up for failure as they have done for so many other DC lines in the last couple of years. :(

And this time they may have shot themselves in the foot when it comes to MOTUC's sub too. As frustrating as this whole thing is, I'm still amused that their precious flagship line may end up failing too this year. Hopefully it will finally be the wake up call they need to re-evaluate their line-management and marketing decisions, as well as the joke of a company that's running their online store.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:41 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

Hey,
Here's an interview with Toyguru about the MOTUC subs. He answers a ton of questions and explains himself very well. This will clarify sub numbers, what he deals with against legal, the price increase, shipping, QC, the plan for 2013/14 (and it sounds strong), def worth a listen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:06 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

link?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next