Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU 8/15/12 the Second of the 6 LAST 3-packs. ST/AQUA/MI
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:39 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

shabbyblue wrote:
If they could just come up with enough budget to produce 1 or 2 new figures a year from here on, it would be better than nothing. (

If they're only producing 1 or 2 per year I think that they will lose a lot of interest in the interim. Personally, I've grown pretty tired of waiting for these final 3-packs as it is. I'm ready to be done with JLU so I can put them away. The final pack can't come soon enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:00 pm 
Cold-cast

shabbyblue wrote:
DisneyBoy wrote:
I also think it'll do really well, and that's probably why they're leaving it for last. Maybe it's strategic...so ToyGuru can go to the higher-ups and say "Look how well the last JLU pack sold!" He has said he's a big JLU fan, so maybe this was an intentional Big Finish.

If they could just come up with enough budget to produce 1 or 2 new figures a year from here on, it would be better than nothing.

Listen JLU is the lowest budget line that there is. They use the same few bucks for most the figures. They just sculpt a new head & apply different paint. But they still will not make as much profit as mainstream toys such as Barbie or Hot wheels. So Mattel had the brilliant idea to raise the prices on their smaller lines to amplify the profit. They burned themselves by getting greedy & trying to sell singles for $9.99 & 3 packs ( with duplicate figures of the original 7 ) for $19.99. No parent in their right mind is going to pay that for such tiny, non detailed figures & at those prices I read many collectors on this forum began to shy away. We're basically in a depression here. 90% of the population is going to take that $20 & put it in their gas tank, or buy food, etc, instead of buying toys. This is not a neccesity for most people. You can't even consider them entertainment costs because they aren't very entertaining once you have them. The only reason I am paying $30 plus shipping a pack now is because, I know it's over after this. I will not continue to pay these price forever, especially with duplicates in the 3 pack. Mattel was smart at marketing these things. We should all open our eyes, they basically teased & taunted us for over a year that we are not going to get these figures. That was their smokescreen to basically trick us. They knew if that was done, when they finally did release these ( at even a greedier mark up ) We all would be basically willing to pay anything for these damn things because they made us desire them so bad. Don't get me wrong, I fell for it too. I couldn't wait to get my $40 Mongul with terrible paint application!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:54 am 
5" Scale

whakojacko1976 wrote:
shabbyblue wrote:
If they could just come up with enough budget to produce 1 or 2 new figures a year from here on, it would be better than nothing. (

If they're only producing 1 or 2 per year I think that they will lose a lot of interest in the interim. Personally, I've grown pretty tired of waiting for these final 3-packs as it is. I'm ready to be done with JLU so I can put them away. The final pack can't come soon enough.

I'm with whako on this one. I know I'm missing some of the 3 and multipacks because of how things were done on the site. Clayface also points out some fine points. Honestly it is the price point that is scaring me off. I actually missed out on Mongul because of this. It is just hard to justify that cost. Especially when I'm hearing about quality control issues? I would think with them doing lower production runs this would be more minimal. Once again because of the cost. While it might have been nice to have a sub at one time I have to think most collectors have just moved on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:05 am 
Cold-cast

I think a one JLU figure a year plan could work, if they made that one figure count. But I highly doubt Mattel is even considering this.

Would love to have a Barda to complete my future JLU, or a Luthoriac, Savage Time Bats, Catman, etc. There are plenty of figures left that would be absolutely fantastic to see made. I just don't see Mattel going there. Although everything else seems to be tanking on Mattycollector right now so maybe they might consider some new JLU. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:49 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
Mattel was smart at marketing these things. We should all open our eyes, they basically teased & taunted us for over a year that we are not going to get these figures. That was their smokescreen to basically trick us. They knew if that was done, when they finally did release these ( at even a greedier mark up ) We all would be basically willing to pay anything for these damn things because they made us desire them so bad. Don't get me wrong, I fell for it too. I couldn't wait to get my $40 Mongul with terrible paint application!

See...I really don't think that's what they were doing here (it's okay to laugh at me now, I'm probably being naive :oops: ). I really don't think there are going to be huge sales on these packs, because as we've said...so many people have already walked away from this line because of paints, plastics, prices, etc. BUT, Mattel already invested the money in the moulds, so them selling them now means they can recoup costs maybe with a little left over.

I'm not trying to defend all their other decisions, but I do genuinely feel this was a case of a decision made at the last-minute, just like ToyGuru said.

As for getting more bang for your buck, the larger figures like the Manhunters are much sturdier overall that the other normal-sized characters. I'm sure Aquagirl, Micron and Static will be bending over and falling off shelves within weeks of purchase. Mongul will not, because he has more plastic in him and thicker legs. So yes, I completely agree spending 40+ dollars on one new figure in these hard times is difficult to justify...at least he'll still look the same in a year...

Quote:
I'm ready to be done with JLU so I can put them away.

Not sure I follow: you are eager to own this pack, so you can put it in a closet somewhere?

I buy the characters I like and take them out from time to time. I'm not a completist (I assume you are) and since I've waited years and years to get certain figures (just got a Huntress recently!) I have plenty of patience. If Mattel goes continue the JLU brand with more toys in a couple of years, who knows - I may end up buying more five years from now!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:04 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

DisneyBoy wrote:

Quote:
I'm ready to be done with JLU so I can put them away.

Not sure I follow: you are eager to own this pack, so you can put it in a closet somewhere?

I buy the characters I like and take them out from time to time. I'm not a completist (I assume you are) and since I've waited years and years to get certain figures (just got a Huntress recently!) I have plenty of patience. If Mattel goes continue the JLU brand with more toys in a couple of years, who knows - I may end up buying more five years from now!

I would like to have the whole collection in hand so I can display them all at once for a little while. I have set aside specific spots for each of the missing figures on my shelves. Just like people rearrange the furniture in their house or buy new items to display in their house I like to display different action figure lines I have from time to time. I don't have the room or at least the desire to display everything I have all at once. I think putting out too many at the same time looks kind of ridiculous and overwhelming. After many years of having JLU on the shelves I'm ready for a change. Unfortunately the last run of JLU figures has been or will be spread out now for about 2 years. I was expecting to have these all in hand and eventually put away by now as Mattel announced the end of the line... back in 2010. My vintage G.I. Joes haven't seen the light of day for awhile. It'll be a nice change of pace to see them again. Or MOTU again. Or Super Powers. Or Star Trek. I'm not saying I wouldn't necessarily buy new JLU figures down the road but things change as time goes buy. I've bought a lot of things in my lifetime that I had planned to keep forever at one time. Years later it was barely a thought when I sold/gave away/threw away these items. As much as I love JLU today it might be a very different story a few years from now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:28 pm 
Cold-cast

DisneyBoy wrote:
See...I really don't think that's what they were doing here (it's okay to laugh at me now, I'm probably being naive :oops: ). I really don't think there are going to be huge sales on these packs, because as we've said...so many people have already walked away from this line because of paints, plastics, prices, etc. BUT, Mattel already invested the money in the moulds, so them selling them now means they can recoup costs maybe with a little left over.

I'm not trying to defend all their other decisions, but I do genuinely feel this was a case of a decision made at the last-minute, just like ToyGuru said.

Exactly they didn't care about making millions of these things & making a killing. But they did indeed want to make the money back that they put in for the tooling & molds. JLU stuff never sells out, it's a fact. Even the fan demanded, final card carrying members, 7 pack didn't sell well. Everyone said it was too much money, or at a bad time for release around Christmas, wanted to combine shipping with another item, they were waiting for it to go on clearance like many other JLU items did, etc.... They had to insure somehow that these final 3 packs were going to sell out. What better way to do that then to create a bunch of hype & controversy around them. Make people want them so bad, that they will buy them at any cost.

Personally I don't believe a word that Toyguru says about anything. I've been lurking on this forum, Fwoosh, Matty , etc for a long time. TG has outright lied to all of you many times in the past. How can you really believe a word he says after he has been caught lying. As the old saying goes, Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me! Although he may truly be a fan of JLU. Remember he works for Mattel not any of us. So he is going to say what they tell him to at times. I heard him talk about really wanting these figures made because he would like to have them in his collection. Do you really believe that all these guys on ebay had prototypes before release & he didn't? I'm sure he already had his Mongul, Toyman, Firefly, etc....Last year.

DisneyBoy wrote:
As for getting more bang for your buck, the larger figures like the Manhunters are much sturdier overall that the other normal-sized characters. I'm sure Aquagirl, Micron and Static will be bending over and falling off shelves within weeks of purchase. Mongul will not, because he has more plastic in him and thicker legs. So yes, I completely agree spending 40+ dollars on one new figure in these hard times is difficult to justify...at least he'll still look the same in a year...

NONE of these figures are worth $40. They are sh*tty pieces of plastic that are worth about $2. Unfortunately for us, that cheap piece of PVC was molded into our favorite characters. If " For the man who has everything " Episode was not one of my favorites, there was no way I would have paid $10 to get the black mercy with a duplicate Superman. I would have also been in your situation, No way would I pay $40 For Mongul & no other new figures in that 3 pack. I am happy that I got my Mongul figure, but I still feel I over paid by about $20. Damn, why did they have to make an episode based on an Alan Moore written book!!!! lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:32 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
I was expecting to have these all in hand and eventually put away by now as Mattel announced the end of the line... back in 2010.

ahhh...I understand your situation now.

Quote:
They had to insure somehow that these final 3 packs were going to sell out. What better way to do that then to create a bunch of hype & controversy around them. Make people want them so bad, that they will buy them at any cost.

Honestly, I never thought that final 7 pack would sell well, because none of those characters did more than cameo on the series and none of them are hugely popular otherwise (as far as I know, there's no massive Gypsy fan club). So Toyman was always going to be more of a draw...regardless of them manufacturing hype. I can see why you might think they were tricking us, but regardless of whatever ToyGuru's said in the past, I got the sense he was being straight here. Ultimately, I don't care: we're getting the packs. They're not 50 dollars, they're 30. See, if anything felt like it might be a manipulation, maybe it was the price point. But name one store or vendor who wouldn't try to sell you something for more than it's worth, before being willing to settle for a more reasonable price? That's the way business is done. Some people are willing to pay full price. Others wait for the sale, or a slight discount. Everyone shops differently.

Quote:
NONE of these figures are worth $40. They are sh*tty pieces of plastic that are worth about $2. Unfortunately for us, that cheap piece of PVC was molded into our favorite characters.

Well, a Big Mack isn't worth the 6 dollars either, but hey - if it puts a smile on your face, right? That's why I try to decide whether or not I really want something, or if it'll become clutter within days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:17 pm 
Cold-cast

DisneyBoy wrote:
Honestly, I never thought that final 7 pack would sell well, because none of those characters did more than cameo on the series and none of them are hugely popular otherwise (as far as I know, there's no massive Gypsy fan club). So Toyman was always going to be more of a draw...regardless of them manufacturing hype. I can see why you might think they were tricking us, but regardless of whatever ToyGuru's said in the past, I got the sense he was being straight here. Ultimately, I don't care: we're getting the packs. They're not 50 dollars, they're 30. See, if anything felt like it might be a manipulation, maybe it was the price point. But name one store or vendor who wouldn't try to sell you something for more than it's worth, before being willing to settle for a more reasonable price? That's the way business is done. Some people are willing to pay full price. Others wait for the sale, or a slight discount. Everyone shops differently.

But supposedly everyone wanted any JLU figures there were & you were supposed to be purchasing the seven pacl to " keep the line going " & get the final release figures. All a bunch of BS. Just mattel & toy guru blowing smoke up everyone's @$$es. We are not buying these toys from target anymore. This is not a store or a vendor, this is Mattel abusing the little fan base that is left just to make a buck off the money they already wasted.

DisneyBoy wrote:
Well, a Big Mack isn't worth the 6 dollars either, but hey - if it puts a smile on your face, right? That's why I try to decide whether or not I really want something, or if it'll become clutter within days.

Food is a necessity, so there is no comparison to a $40 toy which you do not need to live. For the record, a big mac would not put a smile on my face. I don't put garbage like that in my body. McDonald's is the worst fast food for you. SO I wouldn't pay $1 for one. Everyone has a different opinion on all this. That's just mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:45 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Clayface wrote:
Food is a necessity, so there is no comparison to a $40 toy which you do not need to live. For the record, a big mac would not put a smile on my face. I don't put garbage like that in my body. McDonald's is the worst fast food for you. SO I wouldn't pay $1 for one. Everyone has a different opinion on all this. That's just mine.

Hater, haha.

(j/k)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:40 pm 
AFA Graded

DisneyBoy wrote:
(as far as I know, there's no massive Gypsy fan club).

Presedent of the Gypsy fan club. :mrgreen:
Always looking for new members. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I own 3 myself. :wink:

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:22 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Man, I'm so down for this 3 pack. My batman beyond/JLU shelf needs the extra company. XD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:58 am 
AFA Graded

I got Gypsy legs just waiting for my Aquagirl, so she will have bare feet when I'm done customizing her.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:34 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I can't wait to see how you pull that off An-Gel!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:42 pm 
Fugitive Dust

The 8/15 Sale is now up:

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/mat ... 8862445509

Here's the 3-pack special page:

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/mat ... .254325500

Side note: The 3-pack is not listed in the JLU page but rather the DCU Classics page.

ANYONE NOTICE THE PRICE?????

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next