Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Are you subscribing to the 2013 DC Club Infinite Earths?
Yes, and I've already signed up 44%  44%  [ 33 ]
Yes, but I haven't signed up yet 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
No, even though I signed up last year, I will not be renewing this year 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
No, I have never subscribed and won't this year 27%  27%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject: Re: 2013 DC Club Infinite Earths: In or Out?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:03 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

If the exclusive was a Spoiler figure-- or Babs With Chair-- it might have gotten me in-- but there was not a single announced character next year that I want, so - I would have had to decide if I would just go the ebay route.--The only way I might have signed up for sure-- if it was a 100% female year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:27 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Joe G. wrote:
Just out of curiosity...

How many more people would have signed up for the sub if the exclusive were different? What if the exclusive had been Shining Knight & Winged Victory or something a little more 'fan-demanded'?

Still not a sell for me in that regard. I liked every figure but Mallah but Shining Knight & Winged Victory don't do anything for me either. But to ask me what I would prefer I don't know... but something fun, like maybe Kilg%re which would be a nice companion to Wally Flash.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:34 am 
Cold-cast

The Flash figure looked nice, but no other figures in the sub interest me. I wish the sub would stop including so many Green Lantern figures. No disrespect to GL fans, but I don't think GL is quite the draw they think it is.

Also, why not include some Elseworlds / Multiverse Bats and Supes figures in there to draw in some of the more "mainstream" collectors? I would love to see a Batman: Holy Terror figure or a Superman Beyond figure.

If it takes more Batman and Superman family figures to keep the sub going, I think that's preferential to seeing the club end completely. There are plenty of Bats / Supes characters from past generations you could pepper in that probably won't make it to retail.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:15 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I think they are keeping the Bats and Supes variants for the upcoming retail lines. And I, for one, am very grateful.

If I were to opt in to a sub only to find that I was getting Gotham by Gaslight Batman and Red Son Superman as 2 of my figures I would be quite upset.

Much the same as if I were to be given the "new 52" Bats or Superman.

If they want to add a Batman or Superman figure to the sub then might I suggest Composite Superman. Gets you both big names all at once.

And for me, the draw of the sub is that we are getting characters that aren't the big draws. They aren't the "big names, A-List" characters.

The longer the sub stays in the fringes of the DCU, the longer I'll be a happy subscriber.

But, hey, your mileage may vary I am sure.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:30 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Just placed my order for the subs. Now patiently waiting for the January figure charges to drop off so I can place my order for the YJ pack...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:55 am 
5" Scale

Same here. All done until the sub starts and the 2012 sub (truly)expires.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:04 am 
An Insider

Joe G. wrote:
Just out of curiosity...

How many more people would have signed up for the sub if the exclusive were different? What if the exclusive had been Shining Knight & Winged Victory or something a little more 'fan-demanded'?

Yes, if the preview figures for 2013 was a better selection, I would have signed up.

Huntress
Chief - Doom Patrol
Oracle
Atomic Skull
Dr. Polaris
Ocean Master
Killer Frost
Shining Knight & Winged Victory
Granny Goodness
Brainiac - modern armor
Captain Marvel Jr. & Dr. Sivana 2-pk
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:15 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Wow. After reading through the last dozen or so posts, I realized that there's no way for Mattel to win with this sub. NOBODY wants the same things. :|

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:33 pm 

alcinde4 wrote:
Wow. After reading through the last dozen or so posts, I realized that there's no way for Mattel to win with this sub. NOBODY wants the same things. :|

I applaud Mattel for trying something new and innovative but I think the sub is a stupid idea for just about anything. There's only two properties which I think it worked brilliantly for and that's Voltron and the new Watchmen sub. Why, you ask? Because with Voltron you know you are getting FIVE lions and FIVER pilots... and with Watchmen you are getting a team of SIX characters. No arguing no bickering, nothing....

With something like DC... you just have SO MUCH... so many diverse tastes and desires, whoever all wants to the same thing? Who's going to say "Forget the green lion and just gimme the red and blue?" NO ONE! :lol:

MOTU probably only went the distance because it started in sub form from what I understand. Those style figures are nothing like the figures last released in 2003. This line started as an annual subscription and it's now failing because it's coming towards an inevitable end. DC Universe Classics started as retail and went what... 200-300 characters deep? Maybe more? Now you want to take it and turn into "Gimme your money and I give you 12 unknowns"

Even in Kickball you don't pick players on the blind! :lol:

I'm in no way anti-subscription, I would love to see it happen. I hope it does. But this is the truth as to why we all argue over it and why we can't ever agree as to who to put into it... too much to choose from.

Maybe smaller themed subscriptions is the answer? Like Voltron and Watchmen?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:55 pm 
serves the Otter

New images, originally from Matty's Facebook page:
http://cooltoyreview.com/story/front/Ma ... 147371.asp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:19 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I signed up already, but this would have made me even more excited:

6 females/6 males
6 villains(or at least anti-hero)/6 heroes
2 Legionaires (pref. females)
2 Secret Six members

So, perfection for me?

Mera (F, H)
Ocean Master (M, V)
Huntress (F, H)
Prometheus (M, V)
Dawnstar (F, H, L)
Ragdoll (M, V-AH, SS)
Scandal Savage (F, V-AH, SS)
Wally Flash (M, H)
Knockout (F, V-AH)
Vandel Savage (M, V)
Spoiler (F, H)
Elongated Man (M, H)

Sub Exclusive: Duo Damsel 2-pack OR Triplicate Girl 3-pack (F, H, L)

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:33 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

alcinde4 wrote:

I've been saying that's the big problem for years. As a collector of JLU which is essentially comprised of the same characters available to the DC Infinite Earths this has always been a problem. I can't count how many times I've read someone's list of characters that "would unquestionably" work in the line only to see those same characters on somebody else's "I hope they never make X because I'll never buy X" list. I don't know about you DCUC guys but as far as I can tell in the JLU line, nearly all of the universally popular characters have been made. It makes me want to pound my head when someone says "well if they did these figures.. it would save the line. They'd sell out in no time. They'd make millions!" :roll: I really don't have a problem with people suggesting or wishing for more products. It's just when they act as if their wishlist is the answer to everyone's problems. Alcinde, you are right. Nobody wants the same thing. The only guys that do are completist and there aren't enough of them collecting most of these lines to make up for the difference. The funny thing about MOTU is that they started with a smalller universe of characters the the DCU yet Mattel keeps widening it with some characters that have rarely or never been seen before. Unfortunately for Mattel there are too many guys out there that don't want this. I just never foresaw MOTUC going this way.
Van Statten wrote:
But this is the truth as to why we all argue over it and why we can't ever agree as to who to put into it... too much to choose from.

...And not enough of us that want it all. :|

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:56 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Van Statten wrote:
MOTU probably only went the distance because it started in sub form from what I understand.

Actually, no. The subs started because the collectors begged for it due to the start of the quick sell-out times. At first they offered a four or five month sub to finish out the first year of product and offered the option to have everything held and shipped at once (which apparently very few people used), the next year came Battle Cat and a super-fast sell-through with got the collectors demanding that the everything be included in the sub so it was the next year. Basically the MOTUC sub came about and got to the point it is because the collectors begged for it, now they don't want it all and that's why it's falling apart...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:13 pm 

So MOTU started as figures exclusive to Matty and they were just offered on certain days each month?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:46 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Van Statten wrote:
So MOTU started as figures exclusive to Matty and they were just offered on certain days each month?

Yeah. First one was available at SDCC in '08 then the monthly figures started in December. First two lasted 6 weeks then 11 days and for the most part it just kept getting faster and faster until Mattel finally got a handle on demand. People started complaining very loudly about the fast sell-outs, a combination of not being able to order multiple figures at once and just not being able to be there at sale-time each month. Sell-outs were often happening while buyers were stuck in the WSOD. The subscription format was born out of these complaints because at that point collectors wanted EVERYTHING. The first year got a four month sub with the option to have everything shipped at the end of the year, the second year sub didn't offer that option because so few used it. The second year was for all twelve months but no variants, no SDCC, no large figures/beasts and no accessory packs. Third year was the all-in sub and included everything but the SDCC item and accessory pack and that's when people started complaining that it was too much. If you go over to Noisy's site you can look through the archive and he's got the sell-out times listed and you can see how the sell-through really affected the line and how it was sold... http://www.itsalltrue.net/?page_id=2009

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next